Awoo.

If Sega decide to use famous voice actors for the Sonic Movie

Happyguy151

Hugh Jackman would be good as Knuckles! He has a cool/tough guy voice to pull it off well.

For Sonic.. maybe either Chris Pratt, Chris Pine or Ryan Rynolds. I think they would do a good job of bringing a balance of sarcasm/humour, adventurous spirit and a serious tone when needed for the action and dramatic moments. 

Has anyone got any ideas of any actors that would be good for Sonic/Tails/Knucles/Amy/ Shadow/Robotnik etc?

If Sega dumped a bunch of money for celebrity stunt casting it would be a fairly good indication that the movie isn't worth watching.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

3 minutes ago, Tornado said:

If Sega dumped a bunch of money for celebrity stunt casting it would be a fairly good indication that the movie isn't worth watching.

Yeah. A live action Sonic movie, on it's own, is already bad sounding. I highly dought adding celebrities to something inherently bad, would add anything worth while.

As far as movies go. I'd like to stick with Sonic OVA, thank you.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sure Sonic could use great celebrity actors for his role, like Jason Griffith, Ryan Drummond, Roger Craig Smith, maybe even Jaleel White.

Please do not change a character's voice in the name of having big names in the movie. It shows no respect for the character, and gives off signs the movie would be leeching off those names for it's popularity.

Besides, Sonic already has big name voice actors who could really do with more recognition outside of the gaming and anime world.

• Thumbs Up 4

Alright, let's have some goofy fun with this: 

Sonic: Hmmm, what makes Sonic's voice work? Well, he's had a lot of voices and most of 'em don't! But I think the Sonic character must embody a sort of youthful cool guy 90s righteousness, while having just a bit of squeakiness to it that makes him not just a dude, but a dude who happens to be a three foot tall Hedgehog wearing Mickey gloves with one giant eyeball with two pupils. This is not to say Sonic should do an over the top cartoon voice ala the aforementioned Mickey, but I also don't expect his voice to be just straight up be "a dude." This is why Drummond and Burke, for all that can be said of the quality of their acting, had great voices for Sonic (you know when Burke wasn't randomly developing accents). Those Sonics are dudes, but just a biiiiit squeaky sounding which makes them sound like a  Hedgehog dude. White and Smith, while fine actors and please for godsake I don't want to have a Sonic VA debate cause this ain't 2008 anymore, either go too squeaky or too dude for my liking.

Ideally I would have Michael J Fox sounding like Marty McFly, but acting like more of a cock. I know he still does occasional work particularly in voice over, but I'm not sure how realistic the prospect of him straight up starring in a movie would be these days. But this is a fantasy scenario so my choice remains Michael J Fox.

Tails: Tails is a tough one. He is Sonic's young ward, and as such his boyish idealism and aspirations for greatness must be front and center. I think the best way to go is with an actual kid, but I don't really know any kid celebrities. Maybe just grab one off Stranger Things, I don't know. 

Knuckles is a fun one to think about, because I think there're a lot of ways to interpret what exactly Knuckles should sound like. Look at the two Adventure games- SA1 he had more of a mysteriousness to his voice, kinda serious business. By SA2 he still sounds inherently more serious than Sonic who has that inherent chillness to his voice. These voices concentrate more on Knuckles as a man married to his job, the very serious business of guarding the master emerald. Of course you can also choose to emphasize the tough guy aspect of Knuckles or the dumb guy aspect. Knuckles is in theory a character of much nuance- he wants to be as profoundly chill as Sonic, but can't because of his duty, he's tougher than leather, and serious minded but a bit bumbling. For Knuckles the Echidna there is only one actor I would cast.

AND HIS NAME IS JOOOOOHHHHHHN CEEEEEENAAAAAAA! Or Dwayne "The Emerald" Johnson. Or Jim from The Office. 

Amy is another one who has multiple facets to think about. You can cast her as a crazy Sonic fangirl who would push Sonic off a buliding to... marry his corpse I guess? Or the Amy of  the Sonic Adventures, who masked greater depths, whose idealism and ability to see the best even in a creation of Doctor Robotnik helped the robot reconnect with the animal inside him, or who managed to convince Shadow to help save the world with her steadfast belief in the inherent goodness of humanity that allowed Shadow to recall what Maria. She is many the ways the heart of the Sonic cast, and her voice must reflect that I think. But her infatuation with Sonic is also an aspect of her character that cannot be denied so we need not just a paragon of faith in humanity but also someone who can pull off that "girly girl with a crush" thing. 

For Amy, I'll say either Ellie Kemper or Anna Kendrick.

Now here comes a big one. The Eggman.

Eggman again depends on how much you wanna emphasize which traits of his. He can be truly sociopathic and scary, he can be goofy and bumbling, he can be menacingly flamboyant... There's a lot of ways to go. In many ways it would depend on how funny vs how serious you want the movie to go. That said I feel that by nature Eggman is a pretty hammy character, and for him to work I think you need a funny person goofin around.

My vote goes to John Lithgow. The man can effortlessly pull off vanity and flamboyance, just make sure he brings some evil crazy to the table.

Now I think Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman are the only characters who would be more or less guaranteed to show up in a Sonic movie, but let's assume some of the others are making it in...

Shadow: Johnny Depp

Rouge: Scarlett Johansen

Omega: Thomas F Wilson

Blaze: Allison Brie

Vector: Danny Devito

Espio: Christian Bale

Charmy: see Tails, but get a more annoying kid

Cream: see Charmy and Tails

Silver: Michael Cera

Big: Bill Faggerbakke, AKA Patrick Star

Orbot: Paul Bettany

Cubot: John C Reilly

Froggy: Morgan Freeman

Gamma: Rainn Wilson

Tikal: Samantha Mathis

Pachemac: Idris Elba

Gerald Robotnik: Christopher Lloyd

Mama Robotnik: Jane Lynch

The President: Barrack Obama, chuckling the whole time

• Chuckle 1

On 4/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, Polkadi said:

I'm sure Sonic could use great celebrity actors for his role, like Jason Griffith, Ryan Drummond, Roger Craig Smith, maybe even Jaleel White.

Please do not change a character's voice in the name of having big names in the movie. It shows no respect for the character, and gives off signs the movie would be leeching off those names for it's popularity.

Besides, Sonic already has big name voice actors who could really do with more recognition outside of the gaming and anime world.

I agree with you. I think it's better that the characters keep their voice actors in the movie. Why bother, getting new voice actors, when you already have some?

Anyway, I think we may get news about the movie at CinemaCon. Paramount is attending there. I'm not sure we will get news there, but who knows? We will have to wait and see about this on the 25th.

http://cinemacon.com/schedule#horizontalTab4

Sonic - Macaulay Culkin

Tails - Tom Holland

Knuckles - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

Amy  - Melissa Rauch

Shadow - Lance Henrikson

Dr Eggman -  J.K. Simmons

And if this ever happens I'll eat 1000 Chilli Dogs.

Depends on how good or bad the casting would be. In a terrible world, I'm thinking:

Sonic: Generic lead actor, someone who they know kids like. I'm thinking John Cena

Tails: Posh British male actor because Tails is smart. Eddie Redmayne. (Although it would be interesting if they'd follow the games and actually hired a woman to do Tails.)

Knuckles: Black comedian, because alot of these films always need a comedy sidekick. Kevin Hart

Dr Eggman: White comedian who basically does PG rated schtick of their own work rather than try and be a character. Seth Rogan

Amy: Generic love interest, so can be played by basically anyone really, but they hire a famous woman for her name on the poster only. Scarlett Johannson.

The guy who played Gollum? Who would he play in a Sonic movie?

Ideas off the top of my head:

Sonic: Ryan Reynolds, Michael J. Fox

Tails: Thomas Middleditch, Michael Cera

Knuckles: Danny McBride

Amy: Amy Poehler

If this were fully animated (I wish - oh why does this have to be live action?), the only possible instance of having a "celebrity" cast that would work for me is if it is an original character that is created for the movie/plot. 

So...I'm totally alone in thinking Neil Patrick Harris would be a perfect Sonic?

Knuckles: Black comedian, because alot of these films always need a comedy sidekick. Kevin Hart

But how could they fit in jokes about how he's a man of short stature if it's just his voice?

I could see characters like Tikal, Pachemac  or Gerald Robotnik getting celebrity voices.

58 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

But how could they fit in jokes about how he's a man of short stature if it's just his voice

Just have a live action human character call him pint-sized or something. 

On 18/04/2018 at 9:23 PM, Chili Dawg said:

Alright, let's have some goofy fun with this: 

Froggy: Morgan Freeman

I came here not expecting this. I almost spat everywhere.

I have nothing else to say. I am dead.