Awoo.

Characters that never grew on you (Games only)

Austroid

Like the title says: who are some characters that you just never got on board with? I thought to keep it to games only, just to make things simpler. Having the thousands of Archie characters and such would make it a bit overwhelming. You can list as many as you'd like.

Image result for charmy bee

3. Charmy: I’ll admit I never knew about Charmy until Heroes, but I doubt his role in Knuckles Chaotix was of any significance. What has Charmy really done in all the games he’s appeared in? What's his story? Why do Espio and Vector seemingly have to take care of him? I don’t see any substance here.

Related image

2. Orbot & Cubot: I really haven’t warmed up to these two. Orbot was fine in Unleashed as SA-55. But combined with Cubot; one of the most unfunny and obnoxious Sonic characters I’ve ever had to witness, is pretty unbearable with the forced-voice chip “gag” and general incompetence.  I find them to be a tacked-on "goofy henchman" trope, and kind of bring down Eggman’s menace-factor. The Doc doesn’t need ‘em!

Image result for cream the rabbit

1. Cream: Ugh, Cream… I’ll never get why she’s still around. Sure in Sonic Advance 2 her mom was captured, and in Heroes she was trying to find Chocola Chao. But after that… nothing really. The writers of Sonic X obviously didn’t know what to do with her either, because for 95% of the show she just stands on the sidelines. She’s just a “cutsie girl” character with no real purpose.

*(Cheese on the other hand is cool, and gets no respect from Cream.)

5 minutes ago, Austroid said:

1. Cream: Ugh, Cream… I’ll never get why she’s still around. Sure in Sonic Advance 2 her mom was captured, and in Heroes she was trying to find Chocola Chao. But after that… nothing really. The writers of Sonic X obviously didn’t know what to do with her either, because for 95% of the show she just stands on the sidelines. She’s just a “cutsie girl” character with no real purpose.

*(Cheese on the other hand is cool, and gets no respect from Cream.)

She did have a pretty major role in Sonic Battle, Sonic X's adaptation of said game, and Sonic Rush (I think, fairly, people tend to forget the story of that game since you can't re-experience it without deleting your entire save file).  She's the one who grounds Blaze and gets her to open up as a person and stop acting so isolated etc.  With Sonic X, for the most part I agree, she doesn't do much, but I will say it does at least serve making her big moment in the Sonic Battle arc feel all that more special.

No idea what you mean about her not giving respect to Cheese though, it was like, one of the few bits of consistent character she had that she gets annoyed when people think Cheese is her pet, when she considers him her friend.

Charmy is definitely one of mine though, the Chaotix in general are kinda whatever for me (it annoys me that they were playable in Runners Adventures over Team Rose for example, and when we found out it was Vector who would appear in Sonic Boom Season 2 I was like "Oh... neat I guess, he fits but, eh".

• Thumbs Up 5

To be honest, most of the modern characters are just plain annoying for me. Cream, Blaze, Silver, Marine. They have no real substance to them other than trying to broaden the universe of the franchise. But when you feel that universe is super empty and shallow, you kinda failed IMO. Their personalities are pretty dull, sometimes even just plain annoying (cough*Marine*cough). And when most of the characters are kept around only to be used as basically cheerleaders to cheer on for Sonic (Generations anyone?), you really begin to see how they barely have any character behind that 3D model.

1 hour ago, Austroid said:

But combined with Cubot; one of the most unfunny and obnoxious Sonic characters I’ve ever had to witness, is pretty unbearable with the forced-voice chip “gag” and general incompetence.

Isn't that voice chip gag basically just a rip-off of the one in the original Knight Rider? I remember one episode had that exact same ongoing joke where KITT's voice chip was malfunctioning and his accent was constantly changing every time they hit a bigger bump in the road, annoying Michael like hell.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been over Blaze and the Babylon Rogues a thousand times, so I need to cover them again.

Uh, how about Knuckles? I really don't like the archetype of the stupid hothead characters (and he has been the stupid hothead character in a lot of his appearances), so it's inevitable I was never going to warm up to him. Not interested in going into his history or his deal with the Master Emerald either. 

Honestly Cream has, or had, so much potential. I can get behind the idea of a character forming a sisterly relationship with Amy that parallels the brotherhood Sonic and Tails have, and, not to repeat JezzMM but, that's exactly what they did with her and Blaze in Sonic Rush. Personally I think Sonic Battle kind of hamstrung her character by cementing extreme pacifism as a personally trait. It wasn't necessarily there in Advance 2 or Heroes.

Really, I should like Cubot and Orbot. All the spin-offs media is ripe with Ineffectual comedy duos: Scratch and Grounder, Sleet and Dingo, Decoe and Bocoe, I love those pairings, but in the games it just lacks the charm. Stale writing maybe?

"Silver's the character whose popularity I never really understood. Since his introduction game imploded on itself, I've always felt like it has left his presence in the franchise as this odd "I won't mention the time abnormality if you don't" sort of limbo. Like the resistance just having him on hand in Sonic Forces felt weird to me. Rivals carried the time traveler thing through with Eggman Nega, and otherwise he's just had the Waluigi excuse of showing up in party game roles or on the sidelines just "because".

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm kiiiinda immune to this. I mean, when  Zeti came out, I called them one-dimensional abominations, the impersonifications of everything wrong with franchise these days. But recently this Sonic Battle Racers came out and I'm hoping they'll put Zavok in. (I have a similar relationship with Nega and Tails Doll, a recolor, and overused meme. Yet I have like twelve ideas how to use them).

Overall I know there are plenty bad characters, but I still see a potential for them, either room for improvement or at least use.

If I need to point someone, it would be Orbot and Cubot. They aren't the worst characters (I actually like them in Boom) but unlike other controversial characters, they have way too much screen time (and thus do biggest damage). Say what you want about your favorite character not getting love, but usually  Sega favors characters that are older or have a big fanbase. Orbot & Cubot didn't earn their position in any way. Plus their main job is to make Eggman look pathetic and I think we all agree this isn't a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Plus their main job is to make Eggman look pathetic and I think we all agree this isn't a good thing.

That's a good contrasting point about Orbot and Cubot compared the their predecessors because, oddly enough, I think Scratch, Grounder, etc. all made their Robotniks look more competent next to them. Despite that he ultimately invents or employs them, he'd often roll up his selves and do their jobs a hair better than them. Plus all of them are a lot more proactive. It's not like Cubot's piloting an egg-mobile, he's literally just a nag.

I have to agree with Cream, although she is cute, she tries too hard to be cute. I also don't see the appeal of Big, and I think Gamma is only popular because he died.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Much like MetalSkulkBane(surprised to see someone else, much less before me), I'm honestly not one to make myself and blanking on any possible names at the moment.

The thing is Sonic has such a varied and long-running series full of a variety of characters, designs, and arcs that you're kinda conditioned to approach everything with some degree of openness and curiosity after heavy, wide ranging exposure. Some things score higher than others, obviously, but generally speaking, the gap between decent concept and flawed execution is at least interesting to consider.

To that end, a decent majority of the game cast has had my attention and interest at some point in my life for one reason or another and spinoff characters occasionally peak my curiosity and make me want to see them as major recurrences if I find them neat enough.

Even Tangle, who's image I've had some fair issue with, is solidly based around the excess publicizing around her rather than the character herself--both sides because she has very little characterization and near nil screentime at the moment and thus couldn't really be fairly judged on her actual merits for the longest time--and I've been quietly(read: very sidelined, almost beyond fringe) waiting for the proper introduction to have any real though.

With that said, the only remote example off the top of my head is probably Zeena and that could also potentially be changed if she returns, as unlikely as that is to happen on either side. Not to mention that she's technically a disappointment and thus doesn't fit the criteria.

Maybe if I actually devote some thinking time into truly considering the topic, some name might be dredged up but I'm kinda skeptical it will.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I still think Silver is completely terrible. His design is awful and I still have absolutely no idea what they were even going for with his spikes. His introductory game (which I still count even though it got time-wiped, since it's still his most significant role) had him basically be dumber/more naive than Knuckles, unhesitatingly trusting time-travel Satan that if he kills the guy he shows him in a vision that'll fix everything. But while Knuckles ended up being portrayed as amusingly bumbling and gets some proper comeuppance for being a dick, we're expected to take Silver angsting over whether it's ok to sacrifice Sonic to Satan very seriously and aside from a kick to the head (which, while appreciated, isn't enough) he suffers no consequences for trying to kill Sonic. And within his story he doesn't even end up accomplishing anything of value; he's still unable to stop Iblis in the end, forcing a character that is actually likeable to sacrifice herself...which ends up getting overwritten by time bullshit anyway and only accomplishes erasing her from the climax of the game, because '06 is a trash fire.

And nothing I've seen from him since has changed my opinion. He's still basically the same guy, but with an inflated sense of importance as if he's actually accomplished something meaningful. He hasn't done anything as stupid as trust literal Satan about killing a guy, but he hasn't done much of anything else, either. He just shows up to be time cop sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 5

The Hard-Boiled Heavies. They have nothing to them beyond a gimmick and a pond of quirks. And their backstory is just wonky. To me, I see them as little different from the Deadly Six. 

I agree with Silver above. To me, game-wise, he never stopped being a stupid, parasitic, loathsome, self-righteous bully. That’s why I kinda liked the rumor about his tubby Boom Version, and hated it when he so much as showed his moronic mug in a sports game. Thankfully the comic version is better, while the games have at best made this character just there. They could have salvaged him by treating him as the self-righteous anti-hero he is rather than a squeaky-clean good guy. 

Orbot and Cubot are interesting because they shrank out of me after Colors. Nowadays, they basically do nothing, and it would have been better for Eggman to force them into combat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I kinda took the punches with a lot of characters. There really have been not that many that have bothered me to such a extreme that I wanted to beat their heads in. Well, at least till I found about Marine existing. It's honestly kinda good she doesn't reappear much, if at all. She literally was the only character that ended up being grating for me.

Actually I am lying a little. Omacho is the only other one I'd enjoy see get a painful death, really. I seriously would be happy if he never was a thing. But that wish could never be granted, sadly.

I could put Charmy on here, but the only time he was exceptionally annoying for me was Sonic Heroes. But he kinda was not much of an issue with me otherwise. It's just something about how he was voice acted in Heroes that was seriously horrible.

45 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

The Hard-Boiled Heavies. They have nothing to them beyond a gimmick and a pond of quirks. And their backstory is just wonky. To me, I see them as little different from the Deadly Six.

I was waiting on it.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

They could have salvaged him by treating him as the self-righteous anti-hero he is rather than a squeaky-clean good guy. 

.So, like Knuckles or Antoine?

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yes. Maybe even on level with Jet. 

55 minutes ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

It's just something about how he was voice acted in Heroes that was seriously horrible.

Admittedly, listening to a collection of his voice clips for a bit was kinda painful.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cream. As much as I want to to like the character I just can’t. That voice coupled with the really bad dialogue it’s just too much. She’s as cheesy as it gets (no pun intended). 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Yes. Maybe even on level with Jet. 

Hm...well, I suppose the Antoine angle could work, given that he's kind of a dork.

3 hours ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

Actually I am lying a little. Omacho is the only other one I'd enjoy see get a painful death, really. I seriously would be happy if he never was a thing. But that wish could never be granted, sadly.

Honestly, I find it surprising that some people really hate him. I always thought it's just a meme joke.

I mean, you can pick him up and throw him off the cliff. That negates all the antipathy I could potentially have towards him.

Truthfully I thought the SA-55 version of Orbot was more obnoxious. He reminds me of Lawrence from the Ratchet and Clank series, it's bewildering how much the main villain plays a dopey doormat to so much direct unsubtle sarcasm and insults while almost never trying to keep them on a leech. It also made said vitriol more one dimensional since the fact the lead villain was THEIR butt monkey and seldom abused them meant they were just snide and cynical for no real reason.

Later-Orbot feels more three dimensional since he does make some legitimate effort to serve and be loyal to Eggman but is ignored and treated like crap regardless, making it more palpable when he gets passive aggressive or apathetic with the doctor since it's because he's stuck in a job he gets no respect and knows likely won't make any progression (and even then, the first time Orbot joined in on an insult of Sonic's, Eggman immediately and characteristically put him in his place 'You're so smart then YOU can take care of things!').

Cubot doesn't bug me much. He was kinda one note dumb sure, but there's so much worse comic relief in the Sonic series. The voice chip thing got a bit old, but it was only for one game.

44 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Honestly, I find it surprising that some people really hate him. I always thought it's just a meme joke.

I mean, you can pick him up and throw him off the cliff. That negates all the antipathy I could potentially have towards him.

You can depose of him, but he always comes back. And as much as I wish the jokes involving him being annoying as all hell were just over exaggerated BS, it's really is not. Then again, I'm one who hates constant advice/tutorials shoved in my face. And Omacho is pretty much that. Character device for tutorials and general game advice. If he wasn't developed in such a way where he always in shoved in your face, I'd be a bit less aggressive about him as a existing character.

Rouge. I never really liked Rouge. Maybe it's her design, maybe it's her personality, but she never really connected with me. I'm also not big into the "sexy" type of characters, though, so that's probably a big factor, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

It took years and years for me to warm up to Amy, Rouge and Cream, but at this point I have no problem with any of them (and yes, I know it looks kinda sexist that the characters I disliked also happen to make up 90% of the female cast in the series, but I honestly do think that this is a coincidence).

As of today, out of the recurring characters the only ones I plain dislike are Cubot and Orbot. I really hate how they are always present whenever Eggman is, and how thay make every single cutscene involving Eggman into a comedy scene. The only sidekick Eggman could ever need is Metal Sonic, thank you very much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Orbot and Cubot are a weird case for me because I actually like the role they play, it's just their designs (of all things) that bothers me. They're too generic for my tastes. It really stands out to me since Orbot got a slight redesign and Cubot was introduced in Colours--a game that brought back and introduced all kinds of fun badniks (albeit with updated designs). Maybe if they were more like standard Eggman bots the Scratch & Grounder comparisons would be too obvious?

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I was waiting on it.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I was wondering why the second post didn't auto-merge, but I guess it's because there was roughly 30 minutes between them? So yeah, if too much time has passed, please remember to use the edit button instead of double posting!!

9 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I still think Silver is completely terrible. His design is awful and I still have absolutely no idea what they were even going for with his spikes. His introductory game (which I still count even though it got time-wiped, since it's still his most significant role) had him basically be dumber/more naive than Knuckles, unhesitatingly trusting time-travel Satan that if he kills the guy he shows him in a vision that'll fix everything. But while Knuckles ended up being portrayed as amusingly bumbling and gets some proper comeuppance for being a dick, we're expected to take Silver angsting over whether it's ok to sacrifice Sonic to Satan very seriously and aside from a kick to the head (which, while appreciated, isn't enough) he suffers no consequences for trying to kill Sonic. And within his story he doesn't even end up accomplishing anything of value; he's still unable to stop Iblis in the end, forcing a character that is actually likeable to sacrifice herself...which ends up getting overwritten by time bullshit anyway and only accomplishes erasing her from the climax of the game, because '06 is a trash fire.

And nothing I've seen from him since has changed my opinion. He's still basically the same guy, but with an inflated sense of importance as if he's actually accomplished something meaningful. He hasn't done anything as stupid as trust literal Satan about killing a guy, but he hasn't done much of anything else, either. He just shows up to be time cop sometimes.

Wow I think I kinda like silver a lot less

15 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I've been over Blaze and the Babylon Rogues a thousand times, so I need to cover them again.

Uh, how about Knuckles? I really don't like the archetype of the stupid hothead characters (and he has been the stupid hothead character in a lot of his appearances), so it's inevitable I was never going to warm up to him. Not interested in going into his history or his deal with the Master Emerald either. 

To answer the OP, Rogues for me aswell. They are one note, and have a singular purpose in both function and design. 

If I may ask, what is your beef with blaze through