Awoo.

"Privacy Error" In Need of Fixing

Failinhearts

Me and some friends, (who are using the Chrome browser) are currently encountering issues getting onto SSMB. Our Browser declares things such as the site being unsafe, "privacy errors" and some sort of certificate being deleted and/or expired.

This is an issue I have faced before, but usually done overnight. I hope this is just another one of these cases and will be fixed before I know it.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Bad news, guys.  We just leaked out to all your friends, family, pets, and loved ones that you frequent a Sonic forum.  You bring your family great shame, I tell you what.

(Real talk: It'll probably fix itself soon.  Not a big deal.)

• Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Chrome warned me of this and I got scared.

Our defenses have been penetrated. Must have been the Mario fanbase those bastards.

• Chuckle 1

Apparently the HTTPS certificate expired, according to Chrome. Did someone forget to renew it or something?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah my error said someone may be impersonating the site, and my first thought was “really? Who’d wanna impersonate us??? Lol” 

• Chuckle 3

The HTTPS certificate expired at 04:14 GMT this morning. This does need addressing. HTTPS ensures  encryption and privacy and can stop session hijacking. However, I am seeing the padlock sign on my browser which usually indicates HTTPS is in place. Strange.

EDIT: after a further look SSMB isn’t that secured up right now, it IS safe from XSS (cross site scripting) but website transport security and other features have expired with the certificate. 

• Thumbs Up 1

geez, it made me think my school finally kicked the bucket and blacklisted this site

even though i'm the only one in my school on this site

• Promotion 1

I've seen it happen around other sites from time to time. I think it will be resolved soon. If anyone has friends unable to log on to the site in the meantime, you can let them know to proceed/ignore/add an exception to the certificate. The procedure can be different depending on the browser, and in some cases, it will be hidden until one clicks on something like Advanced or Read More.

4 hours ago, Candescence said:

Apparently the HTTPS certificate expired, according to Chrome. Did someone forget to renew it or something?

• Thumbs Up 2

yeah I got that exact same error myself

I initially thought it was my connection acting up but I noticed all the other sites I visit like google ebay etc

loaded just fine

Can confirm I have this issue now as well.

I was having this issue for hours last night myself, on both my Chrome browser and the Safari browser on my phone. I was worried that the site had been hacked or something.

It seems like it's fixed NOW though for me.

• The topic was locked