Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Trailer

Sonictrainer

I'm glad we can all agree Time Trials is best song.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's happy response to the two appearing (and then Mighty and Knuckles being bash buddies in the elevator) was pretty cute.

Mighty seems to have a variant of the drop dash (kinda like the downward dash in Advance 2) while Ray has a gliding mechanic predictably, looks a little like Sky Hill glider mechanic or the Mario World cape mechanic).

• Fist Bump 2

That scene of Mighty and Ray sketched out while Sonic and co. are in full color and when Sonic takes Mighty's hand it passes on the color to him. 

Hnng.

Fucking amazing.

Just plain amazing. I loved it. It was a great way to do that.

The Encore Mode stuff eh... They remind me of a fangame, they look like simple recolors.

Spoiler

Why didn't they show Angel Island being playable?

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Looks pretty great. Waiting for July 17th will be tough, although ofcourse won't be as tough as when we waited for Sonic Mania to begin with. I honestly wish I had a modern console to buy a physical copy for myself, but I'm on PC. However, my dad who used to play Sonic 2 with me on the Sega Mega Drive will definetly be getting a copy for his PS4 though, especially since he doesn't have internet and couldn't get Sonic Mania to begin with.

Love the animation, it is very cute. The recolours in Encore Mode look lovely, that should be entertaining. Be interesting to see what other changes we'll get from Encore Mode, perhaps more Badniks and obstacles? Can't wait for the missing scene transitions to be reimplimented. Mighty and Ray should be fun characters. I can't wait for a more of an excuse to sink another bunch of hours into Mania.

Love the Time Trials remix as well, I honestly wish the clean version Hyper Potions just uploaded was the full length, because it is so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mighty and Ray look great, they didn't show any walljumping (or I'm too dumb to see it) but I'm just going to assume Mighty still has it.

That said, Encore mode so far looks very bland. I expected at least some enemy and spike placement switches here and there but so far all I'm seeing is a palette change.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guh. I can already tell Ray is going to be outright busted. It'll be harder to contain that glide ability than Tails' full on flight. He's going to make a mockery of most of the games platforming sections.

He'll work nice as an "easy mode" character tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ha. Ray has the cape from Super Mario World. Still not sure I like his sprite. He looks so big. But his glide swoop looks nice.

Mighty being able to destroy spikes with the stomp is cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, gato said:

Mighty and Ray look great, they didn't show any walljumping (or I'm too dumb to see it) but I'm just going to assume Mighty still has it.

That said, Encore mode so far looks very bland. I expected at least some enemy and spike placement switches here and there but so far all I'm seeing is a palette change.

I'd love if that was the point, like the start they actually make it look as much like some basic fan recolour as possible, then things get more and more diverse.

Yes.

Literally this is everything I had hoped for, including Mario Cape Ray! And we haven’t even seen it all yet. 

Happy & Sold. 

• Thumbs Up 1

HYPE!!!

Adding some context to this post now (that's going to be difficult cause of how hyped I am), I loved everything I just saw. Things to note I like the platforming potential I see in Mighty's Hammer Drop (I love that animation) and it looks like momentum is going to integral in making use of Ray's Air Glide (though I wonder how abusable it will be by Spin Dash jumping off of slopes).

Spoiler

As for the trailer itself I love the new updated elevator scene and how Mighty and Ray get their color when Sonic takes Mighty's hand. Now I can't wait to see if the game has an updated opening and to see someone put together a supercut of all the animation so far XD

Quoting myself from the No Spoiler Thread since it seems my trailer reaction is better placed here XD

• Promotion 1

The trailer was nice, Jun remixing Hyper Potions track was the best thing in the trailer and that's a fact and you can't say otherwise.

However I'm also annoyed by several things:

1) Encore mode gives an impression that it's going to be literally just pallete swaps, and that'd be a very weird thing to hype up. Sure, they've only showcased several seconds from some levels, but I'd still be miffed if Encore mode is just pallete swaps

2) This is moreso my bias coming in, but Ray is literally Cape Mario. While I understand why Ray plays like that, it gives me an impression of "let's do what Mario did" and not "let's make Ray more unique". And I don't really want my Mario vibes in a Sonic game

7 minutes ago, MainJP said:

The boys have their arcade run animations as their full-speed run animations.

QKabxfl.png

BdYGGlu.png

tumblr_inline_p5rrk2aYQP1sj04o9_540.gif

Pretty cool!

I was hoping they would do this and it is absolutely awesome. Now I'm just hoping Ray's wackiness also makes it over in his animations.

• Thumbs Up 2

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE ELEVATOR!

Seriously, someone called all the 5 characters squeezing in the elevator yesterday, I think it was @TheOcelot good job!

Everything about this looks superb, the animation, the sprites, THE KNUCKLES AND MIGHTY AT THE END OH MY GOD.

The only thing that let me down was how the zones look visually in what I suppose is the Encore Mode, they're just a pallete swap, looks kinda amateur-ish. But still! 

Excited!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

This is the final Mania trailer.

Hmm, looking at how Aaron Webber specified that its the final "gameplay" trailer, I think we still got one more trailer going for us? (like, them getting out of the elevator all together much like the Intro Scene to Sonic Mania?)

100% Animated, 0% Gameplay style? :)

Sure hope so, it just seems weird that he said final "gameplay" trailer...

11 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

1) Encore mode gives an impression that it's going to be literally just pallete swaps, and that'd be a very weird thing to hype up. Sure, they've only showcased several seconds from some levels, but I'd still be miffed if Encore mode is just pallete swaps

From the press release:

[...] and an Encore mode that will provide a fresh look to familiar zones with new challenges and layouts for new and veteran players alike.

Additionally:

Competition and Time Attack modes will receive an update allowing four player competitions, and ghost challenges for time trials.