Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Trailer

Sonictrainer

Oh, I'm so on board the Hype Train, loved that trailer.  Will be interesting to see what is to come in July for the various modes but I am so looking forward to playing as Mighty and Ray for the first time.

Mixed on Mighty's gameplay. I do want to see more of his gameplay before making a definite call, but so far Mighty's gameplay isn't as distinct as I'd prefer him to be. The main addition seems to be the ground pound ability, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the secondary ounce move of the Bubble Shield (or outside the classic games, Sonic's Bounce ability from SA2. While it does loook like it will be significantly stronger, being able to break through certain objects like spikes...

...and if the  debug mode from the 1.0.4 leaks show, being able to bust through floors to access underground routes...

...I'm hoping there's more to the ground pound move and/or Mighty has other secondary abilities.

Largely pleased with everything else. Ray's gameplay looks delightfully distinct and quirky with his Cape Mario-esque glide. I actually do think the new color palettes for the stages look nice, though I'm with others also hoping there are more to the zones than color scheme changes. Won't actually be able to make use of 4-Player modes but as someone who loves multiplayer games (especially in 4P mode) I can't really complain. And the Plus content being $5 DLC for existing owners is excellent.

Honestly plan to get the Plus DLC for my Steam copy and pick up a retail copy (likely for Switch). Really hope the retail release sells very well, and with July being a relatively quiet month as of this writing (mostly multiplatform re-releases and ports, like Captain Toad and Crash N.Sane), it probably has a good chance of doing so.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man the hype.

Mighty pushing the elevator doors open!

His drop dash (or whatever this one's called) crushing those ice spikes in Press Garden!

and that last shot, him and Knuckles couldn't grin any wider. :D

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to buy this, obviously, but am I wrong for not finding this that exciting. 

I mean, Mighty and Ray, cool I guess. I still find Ray utterly uninteresting, but I like how they've handled their abilities. I think it's cool but not as hype as other characters they could have gone with. I think the strict divide between classic and modern is really limiting if I'm being honest. 

But encore mode looks...dull. I know Angel Island is coming, but we have no idea how long that will be. It could be 20 seconds long for all we know. And the rest of Encore is cute I guess, but, not really good as a DLC, I'll be honest. I'd take one new zone over it. If there's more to it than they haven't exactly marketed it well.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

YxRKuwT.png

i'm crying

Probably the best part of the trailer. Broke out into a hard grin when I saw that.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

YxRKuwT.png

i'm crying

There’s no way they’re not remembering the events of Chaotix here.

• My Emmerdoods 2

Actually, my favourite part of the trailer is when Sonic briefly looks at Tails before they accept Mighty, as though they are both thinking "should we let him in".

And also, when Mighty gives Sonic a powered fist bump, that's really cool.

Tyson Hesse, or whoever works with him on these animations, just really knows how to inject personality into the characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, I'm pretty sure that the Encore Mode isn't JUST the pallete swap, they said during last month's pannel that the level design will be different too, to make it harder probably.

43 minutes ago, gato said:

they didn't show any walljumping (or I'm too dumb to see it) but I'm just going to assume Mighty still has it.

Going by the Famitsu article, he doesn't have it. If he did, they would have mentioned it.

6 minutes ago, MainJP said:

There’s no way they’re not remembering the events of Chaotix here.

Probably harkening to that on the Meta level, but in-universe? Could be a Vector and Knuckles situation all over again. 

• Chuckle 1

A bit sad that they didn't expand on what Encore mode is, but still nice for Mighty and Ray, would be pretty cool is EM has exclusive paths for them, and it's confirmed there are new gimmicks apparently? A new story? Hello, SEGA? I think it's very interesting, you should market it more.

• Thumbs Up 1

EU Trailer... shows off the 'Mega Drive' box.

Wondering why this video has so few views? 

Sega Europe made this video unlisted... so it doesn't show up in public searches for some reason.

16 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Actually, my favourite part of the trailer is when Sonic briefly looks at Tails before they accept Mighty, as though they are both thinking "should we let him in".

I don't know, the way I read their expressions Tails doesn't have a clue who they are, and Sonic glace is more "Buddy have I got a story to tell you."

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

I want to make you notice, that while they confirmed this is the final trailer, it's not the final footage, there could be some footage of the twisted stages, or Mighty and Ray?

To be honest,  I kind of don't want to be shown anything else. I'd want the DLC to be unexpected. avoiding the leak is annoying enough.

40 minutes ago, Plasme said:

But encore mode looks...dull. I know Angel Island is coming, but we have no idea how long that will be. It could be 20 seconds long for all we know. And the rest of Encore is cute I guess, but, not really good as a DLC, I'll be honest. I'd take one new zone over it. If there's more to it than they haven't exactly marketed it well.

Angel Island is confusing the heck out of me, especially if this is the final trailer what the heck is it supposed to be?

Is it just a cutscene again or like post credits stage or just a boss rush mode?

I guess just have to be patient..

And the genesis art looks better, no hate

BY GOD.

I saw the video on Facebook without sound earlier, only now I'm hearing it....

OH MY GOD THAT GUITAR, JUUUN WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEEN

• Thumbs Up 3

This comes out a week after the re-release of the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy. So 2 re-releases 2 weeks in a row, for 2 games that released last year. These 2 in addition to Jurassic World Evolution Physical edition is going to be one busy July. Plus we can't forget Spyro and Spider-Man releasing 2 months later.

1 minute ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

This comes out a week after the re-release of the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy. So 2 re-releases 2 weeks in a row, for 2 games that released last year. These 2 in addition to Jurassic World Evolution Physical edition is going to be one busy July. Plus we can't forget Spyro releasing 2 months later.

Not to mention the highly anticipated rpg Octopath Traveler. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Depression Kong said:

mKfFQ0c.png

GENESIS--Sonic%201%20Megamix%20v30_Sep27

:thinking:

Also, Sunset Hill. I hope we get at least one conscious nod to Sunset Hill with this zone, like maybe Metal Sonic showing up early with Gemerl’s pattern, Badniks that act like the SH Badniks, something based on the boss of that stage (might be easy enough to edit off DD Wrecker), or some of the gimmicks from there, given they are no stranger to Advance references. And, this also reminds me of one of the Rivals levels, and Splash Hill. Will we finally get references to those?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1