Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Trailer

Sonictrainer

5 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I find a different solution without bogging down one of the simplest control schemes around is to approach Sonic's aerial options. Sonic is the only character who truly lacks any and what aerial commands he is given are taken from him the moment he picks up an element shield. Useful as they are there Sonic only auxiliary abilities are rather inconvenient. If I was tasked with making a sequel and had to improve Sonic's Aerial options and add Amy i'd take this route;

I've talked about this and will continue to until the end of time. Sonic's shield abilities are a compromise; they are short both temporally and spatially but are quick, agile, defensive, and agile as opposed to Knuckles and Tails who may always have their aerial abilities at hand and are wide-ranging but are slow, cumbersome, and make them vulnerable. 

The reason why Sonic has these only as shield abilities is because he SHOULD normally have the insta-shield at hand. The insta-shield SHOULD be an integral part of Sonic's moveset these days, as this really is Sonic's true ability that puts him at odds with Tails and Knuckles. A larger attack radius and defense boost that has to be properly and skillfully timed and if done so can shave large chunks of time from zones, both from blasting through obstacles and destroying bosses faster than Tails or Knuckles ever could. Sonic in my opinion is by far the most fun to play as in 3&K because of insta-shield. I'll never understand the people who say Sonic is underpowered. 

32 minutes ago, A crocodile said:

I'll never understand the people who say Sonic is underpowered. 

Flight in a platformer.

Yeah he's underpowered compared to the rest of his buddies.

I get what your saying tho

1 hour ago, A crocodile said:

...and make them vulnerable.

Um...makes Tails vulnerable you mean. Knuckles hitbox is always active in the front and acts as the elemental shields, Tails is on the top and not as reliable.

I have no personal attachment to or interest in Mighty or Ray but since Sonic Mania is intended to be the 32-bit 2D Sonic game we never got, their inclusion makes perfect sense.

If this was really 1995, it would make perfect sense for these two characters to have been added to the playable cast. As much as Amy makes sense in our modern context, if this was actually the mid-90s she would probably be a more surprising choice in this game than Mighty and Ray.

7 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I have no personal attachment to or interest in Mighty or Ray but since Sonic Mania is intended to be the 32-bit 2D Sonic game we never got, their inclusion makes perfect sense.

If this was really 1995, it would make perfect sense for these two characters to have been added to the playable cast. As much as Amy makes sense in our modern context, if this was actually the mid-90s she would probably be a more surprising choice in this game than Mighty and Ray.

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Looking at the games that did come out in that time period, Amy was getting pretty decent representation in spinoffs (playable in both Drifts, Fighters, and R) whereas outside of SegaSonic Mighty was only in Chaotix and Ray was fuckin' nowhere. And not just Amy but Metal Sonic, Espio, and even Fang were getting multiple playable appearances around that time and I could see any of them potentially getting in over Mighty or especially Ray. Or alternatively they might've created a whole new character, as they did for 2 and 3&K.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Jetronic said:

So, being that we're showing officially revealed screenshots as well, here's one for an alternate time of day for Stardust Speedway (Act 2) that we've been seeing for other zones for encore mode.

Hide contents

dlc_ss_03.jpg

via - http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicMania/#dlc

Day, maybe more like AT DAWN. Reference to Speed Highway ? 

Anyway, I was thinking about the Angel Island and the picture with Mighty, area out of reach and breakable rocks might be the very same area as the first encounter with Fire Breath, when the whole Angel Island is burned out.

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I'm not sure if I agree with that. Looking at the games that did come out in that time period, Amy was getting pretty decent representation in spinoffs (playable in both Drifts, Fighters, and R) whereas outside of SegaSonic Mighty was only in Chaotix and Ray was fuckin' nowhere. And not just Amy but Metal Sonic, Espio, and even Fang were getting multiple playable appearances around that time and I could see any of them potentially getting in over Mighty or especially Ray. Or alternatively they might've created a whole new character, as they did for 2 and 3&K.

Technically Mighty and Ray were in Gale Racer... on the SEGA Saturn...

...OK it doesn't really count but I gotta get my Saturn love in there somewhere innit 

28 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Gutted that no one recognizes Stardust Speedway's Bad Future design.

Not necessarily. It does not look trashed as CD´s Bad Future. So it might be Bad Future but don´t have to at the same time.

37 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Gutted that no one recognizes Stardust Speedway's Bad Future design.

It's Bad Future's color scheme for sure. Hey, I wonder if there will be new music.

7 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

I'm not opposed to a playable Amy (I'm arguably among many others that if I was responsible for adding new characters, I would had picked her first as an extra playable character for the Mania Plus DLC over Mighty and Ray) but the point of Mania was to get back to the classic gameplay and avoid hamming up the gameplay with the design choices from the post-Genesis/modern games. So demands for Amy playable with her gameplay from the Advance games in this particular project are completely lost on me. Especially since her gameplay in those titles were built on a significantly different set of mechanics from the rest of the  cast that --for the most part-- didn't feel like they were designed for a Sonic platformer at all.

And I'm gonna be blunt, trashing the whole project (and other people's enthusiasm about it) solely because your favorite character isn't playable in it honestly comes off as rather entitled and shitty.

Amen to that. Someone finally said it lol!

I like Amy and all, but unless she gets a proper overhaul I don't want anything that plays even remotely like that in a classic game that is supposed to be about a pure Sonic experience.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Amy Rose should be playable in her...Advance 2 incarnation.

That way no more lame compliments can happen.

Or maybe they can be creative and give Amy... new skills? I'm fine with her not being here, they can market her big time in a sequel. I'm going to that thread for it...

New skills seem unnecessary...

Just give her a double jump and be done with it, because jeez...it literally doesn't make any sense.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

New skills seem unnecessary...

Just give her a double jump and be done with it, because jeez...it literally doesn't make any sense.

Yeah. A double jump.. with the hammer! And when she uses it, her attack radius is extended!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Yeah. A double jump.. with the hammer! And when she uses it, her attack radius is extended!

And even though she's a girl, it can be called Hammerman which will make less sense.

Triple jump like in Boom perhaps? Either to reach high places like Tails and Knux, or her own paths.

If Amy is playable I hope she's just acrobatic as some hacks make her to be. (Amy in Sonic 1 2 3K)

If she's just another Sonic I will be disappointed.

2 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Or maybe they can be creative and give Amy... new skills? I'm fine with her not being here, they can market her big time in a sequel. I'm going to that thread for it...

Give her new skill like hug enemies to break them like MMZ Act2 Boss Amy minion.

12 hours ago, MegasonicZX said:

Outside of using her hammer to get a good boost off of springs and the fact that you had to manually attack with her jump, what exactly was there that isn't provided here? Yeah, the advance games added more options to the characters but a lot of it was just neat little extras you could use that were pretty much all inferior options to just doing the basic run, jump and roll (and sometimes glide/fly) that the series has always done. About the only real useful addition was Sonic's jump dash, otherwise everything else was just there to use for varieties sake.

The tricks were good though, but I don't think they'd gel all that well with the design philosophy of these games since they aren't AS focused on always moving forward.

10 hours ago, Space☆Yeow said:

I'm not opposed to a playable Amy (I'm arguably among many others that if I was responsible for adding new characters, I would had picked her first as an extra playable character for the Mania Plus DLC over Mighty and Ray) but the point of Mania was to get back to the classic gameplay and avoid hamming up the gameplay with the design choices from the post-Genesis/modern games. So demands for Amy playable with her gameplay from the Advance games in this particular project are completely lost on me. Especially since her gameplay in those titles were built on a significantly different set of mechanics from the rest of the  cast that --for the most part-- didn't feel like they were designed for a Sonic platformer at all.

And I'm gonna be blunt, trashing the whole project (and other people's enthusiasm about it) solely because your favorite character isn't playable in it honestly comes off as rather entitled and shitty.

3 hours ago, Sonikko said:

Amen to that. Someone finally said it lol!

I like Amy and all, but unless she gets a proper overhaul I don't want anything that plays even remotely like that in a classic game that is supposed to be about a pure Sonic experience.

Thank @MegasonicZX, @Space☆Yeow, and @Sonikko for probably wording this better than I ever could. (And without my bias)

Sonic Mania is hearkening back to the "original formula" and is trying to be faithful to it. Since even Sonic himself is a product of that formula, as Naka, Oshima, and Yasuhara have all been on record of saying that the world's most famous hedgehog was designed mostly at the tail end of the gameplay design concept to fit the gameplay of rolling and attacking to bump into things it would only make sense that any additionally added characters in Mania would be molded to fit to that gameplay design concept. It would go against Mania's design concept to add in a character and give them a completely different gameplay model that does not follow the design concept. And before anyone tells me that momentum based platforming is the gameplay, it's quite frankly only a part of it and not the design concept. The argument that Sonic and Amy's Adv.1 gameplay is fundamentally the same because they both have the same physics is a logical fallacy and is as inaccurate as saying that tennis and lacrosse are fundamentally the same because you have people running around with sticks with nets on the heads.

Then there is the fact that it keeps being said that Mania is like imagining how a Sonic game releasing on the Saturn in '95 would have been, which is a year before Amy would ever first be given a hammer which is necessary for the Adv.1 gameplay. There is no precedent for it and it one of many reasons why I keep throwing my gameplay suggestion for Amy around because I'm trying to approach it from a pre-hammer gameplay mentality. My idea of being able to grab onto badniks with another jump input while jumping and ride them around until hit or jumping off may not be the best idea, but it turns the badniks into a additional platforms to jump on and off of (unless the badniks are destroyed when jumping off) which fits the core concept of a platformer and makes use of Amy's grab animation which is already used in Mania by the Amy Bombs in the MMZ boss fight. In short, I may want a playable Amy in Mania, but I recognize that doing so would require addressing what Mania is supposed to be and thus I'm offering a solution that could work.

Speaking of recognition, I am fully aware of how iconic the hammer is, but consider this; no one affiliates Amy's hammer gameplay with rolling and attacking by bumping into the enemy (in fact, some people are adamantly against Amy even having that gameplay at all which make me wonder why ask for her in a game where that gameplay is at the heart of the design concept is). If Amy were to keep the hammer and then not have the Adv.1 gameplay most fans of that gameplay would cry foul (I've already seen people crying foul about no Wall Kick for Mighty). It's actually a benefit that Mania has in being set in the Classic setting is that only one of Amy's appearances made use of the hammer but if just her name is enough to affiliate the hammer with her and still make people cry foul then maybe it's time SEGA gives her back her original nickname of Rosy the Rascal and clean up what Archie Comics did to that name. SEGA seems to be trying to separate the Classic and Modern sides of the franchise anyway so we might as well go in whole hog.

6 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Then there is the fact that it keeps being said that Mania is like imagining how a Sonic game releasing on the Saturn in '95 would have been, which is a year before Amy would ever first be given a hammer which is necessary for the Adv.1 gameplay.

If they were that strict about the timing that they'd discount Fighters, Bean and Bark wouldn't have shown up.

is Angel Island payed DLC? that was something someone said on twitter,

i'm not paying 5 dollars for a single reused level,

2 minutes ago, Honey_Flash said:

is Angel Island payed DLC? that was something someone said on twitter,

i'm not paying 5 dollars for a single reused level,

The DLC is for the characters, Encore mode and the other changes that are being brought to the game (quality of life improvements are in an update) so no, it's not just a level.

• Thumbs Up 1