Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus: Official Trailer

Sonictrainer

On 4/26/2018 at 10:35 AM, Honey_Flash said:

is Angel Island payed DLC? that was something someone said on twitter,

i'm not paying 5 dollars for a single reused level,

Good thing that's not all it is, then. Angel Island isn't even a listed feature. 

- Encore Mode (altered level design with new gimmicks and graphic changes)

- Playable Mighty and Ray (who have unique abilities which take advantage of said level design changes)

- 4 player multiplayer

- A Heroes-esque Tag Team / Co-op mode

Among whatever changes were added to the base version of Mania in the patch for free.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

The five dollar price point for Mania Plus is an absolute bargin considering how good it looks, the new (and altered) content and how much replay value it's going to provide. Encore mode looks like a ton of fun.

The amount of improvements in the 1.04 update alone shows how much effort Team Mania has put into improving the experience and how much they care. They've clearly listened to feedback.

The packaged version (which is as low as £26 on some sites) also feels like excellent value.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll gladly pay 5 bucks for the Plus digital add-on and - whatever how much it's gonna cost here in Brazil - for the physical version, I want to give my support because this is a great game, one that I've, we, waited for so long. You know it doesn't happen very often with this franchise.

And we need more, even better ones, be it 2D or 3D, we need quality Sonic games. So it's my contribution.

I also obviously want to have the holographic cover, the Mega Drive sleeve and the artbook. In a world where physical editions are literally just the box, the disk and a ridiculous 3 pages "manual" in BLACK AND WHITE, I'd say everything Mania Plus is offering is worth getting. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll believe in new gimmicks for the stages when I see it; Iizuka's interview seems quite clear on it being a layout change - which is still a good thing, mind.

The stages themselves are the same as Sonic Mania, but by re-arranging the objects and gimmicks, you can enjoy them with a different sensation. Besides, it also makes Mighty able to make use of his actions more. For example, we’re adding the ability to open holes in the ground with Mighty’s Hammer Drop.

7 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Triple jump like in Boom perhaps? Either to reach high places like Tails and Knux, or her own paths.

Yeah, and when she uses it, she gets TWO hammers! And she can glide using them, also protected by the hammers. Make Amy OP 2020

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

I'll believe in new gimmicks for the stages when I see it; Iizuka's interview seems quite clear on it being a layout change - which is still a good thing, mind.

Is it just me or is anyone GRAVELY dissapointed with this revelation? I was hoping for more new gimmicks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ignoring all of the silly bickering going on, I would like to point attention to this very nice edit that was done by a one MissHoloska

It's honestly super adorable. <3

But yeah, I don't care much about the purity of the classics or whatever Mania is supposedly meant to be. I just like fun things in fun games and playing as Amy with a style similar to the mods of her in Sonic 1 - 3K would be super fun. I'm extremely happy to have Mighty and Ray. Now, I just need Amy. If anything, I'd be even happier if she played as a more smoothly moving version of herself that can kinda keep some momentum while attack with her hammer.

Which I guess means that I want her to play less like she's from Advance 1 and more like she's from Freedom Planet, since that entire game is essentially "Advance 1 Amy: The Game" but significantly more polished and streamlined.

• Thumbs Up 7

I thought another translation of the interview for the famitsu article said there are new gimmicks.

It would've been cool if the levels were changed at least to more challenging than normal for the Encore Mode instead of just layout re-arrange. It's still cool with that alone but there could've been more room for creativity.

Additionally, I've been watching the original trailer and the new one and noticed how much better paced the original is. I don't mean the Mania Plus trailer is bad, I like it, but the original is much better fitted with the music and makes the Plus trailer feel maybe a bit rushed. Also, they show too much Green Hill and Chemical Plant. That's just how I personally feel about it.

I think it's still possible that Encore Mode may be more difficult; I'm not certain that that has been contradicted.

19 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

DbuSO9rWsAA6x8m.png:large

(Awesome fanart edit by MissHoloska)

I want to draw and see how many Classic Characters I can fit into this elevator :D

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

On 4/26/2018 at 7:33 PM, Jack the Maniac said:

Or maybe they can be creative and give Amy... new skills? I'm fine with her not being here, they can market her big time in a sequel. I'm going to that thread for it...

I want a pink spindash! ???

10 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

So... I'm not usually one for insane theories, but I've come up with a slightly insane theory. Spoilered it because it contains new screens from the PS Blog and one of those got spoilered earlier, I guess. That and there's a fair amount of images. That and... what if I'm right? (lol)

Reveal hidden contents

20180426-sonicmania-05.jpg

A hi-res screen of Encore's tag team mode got released by the Playstation Blog - but there's no life counter, as previously seen from the Famitsu scans. So does Encore just not have lives? Well, it happens there's another Classic Sonic game that didn't have lives...

Db1KOufX0AAKocj.jpg

Knuckles Chaotix! If you die in Knuckles Chaotix, you get transported back to... the hub world.

Db1Kf1BWAAAcU6v.jpg

Then take this translation of the Famitsu article. It claims that in Encore you can switch between the 5 characters. 

But that could be odd in-stage... so what if there were a *place* to swap the characters?

Db1KwVOXUAEvskf.jpg

A bit like another game...

Db1K4kGXUAA-GrY.jpg

Db1LR4eXkAEHfoJ.jpgDb1LU-rX0AAip4D.jpg

Combine that with the Chaotix capsule seen in the Angel Island screenshots, and the palette changes to levels (a few of which seem to be time of day changes, a la... Chaotix), and I'm beginning to wonder if Encore is to pay homage to the mostly unrepresented Classic Sonic game in Mania - Chaotix. 

I dunno. It's a slightly crazy theory, but it could be cool. I'm not sure if I see them making a bunch of new assets for a hub system, is the only thing.

Hide contents

Especially bearing in mind no Midio or Tee in the Plus credits, IIRC)

Maybe... just maybe...

Spoiler

Sonic Mania is reality because of Sonic 3 remaster dismissal.
Sonic Mania Plus because of Knuckles Chaotix remaster dismissal.

• Fist Bump 1