Awoo.

Sonic Mania Plus - Famitsu Preview (Encore Mode is more than meets the eye...)

Tracker_TD

Decepticons confirmed for boss battles as well. :lol:

• Chuckle 2

Hm. The lives icons don't have a number next to them.

So maybe you have infinite lives in Encore mode...or maybe something else...

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew it. Encore Mode is the best part of the update. 

(But the new abilities for Mighty and Ray are nice too ;) )

9 minutes ago, Dangerous WOO! engine said:

Decepticons confirmed for boss battles as well. :lol:

Eh? How so?

Mighty's hammer drop causing items to drop down sounds good, if a bit more situational than I'd expect.

The Japanese reversible cover directly following on the JP boxart of the original Genesis games is perfect.

And nice to see Angel Island will apparently be playable too.

And tag team mode sounds very good.

3 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

"Hammer Drop" uh?

There you go Amy fans, Mighty is the culprit for her absence.

Only if you're a fan of her hammer (everyone but me it seems). I'd rather see her added with a grab ability (press jump during jump near enemy) where she is able to grab onto most enemies and ride them around. That would hearken back to her grab animation in CD and would open up some rather unique platforming situations.

Spoiler

(And SEGA, Whitehead, and the whole Mania Team, if you somehow find yourself reading this please implement it and don't worry about the legal side because you have my full permission.)

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Parax said:

image.thumb.png.bde113beb01c850ff3266f830c10b43c.png

Hype.

Sonic Mania Plus is about to plunge right into your wallet? :P

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

Sonic Mania Plus is about to plunge right into your wallet? :P

No, it's going to destroy their wallet, and I might know how they feel. I plan on buying the physical release for the PS4 and will probably additional get the digital upgrade as well just to keep the disc pristine XD

I really hope Angel Island is a full playable zone but I get the feeling It might just be a short transitional stage for Encore mode.

Oh man, what if the Encore Mode is more like a Story Mode +, after the events of the main game, and all the zones are now properly connected with not only transitions but bits of "new" zones like Angel Island?!? Would explain why there are no lifes anymore, it's a Story Mode.

4 hours ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

Eh? How so?

It was a joke on how the topic title was worded. (More than meets the eye)(transformers).

• Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

what if the Encore Mode is more like a Story Mode +, after the events of the main game,

I'm pretty sure it is.

I hope the zones are out of their regular order in Encore mode. Going to Angel Island, to Hydrocity, to Mirage Saloon would be nice. Studiopolis as the stage before Titanic Monarch.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yo this is so hype. Aaaahhhhh, I'm so freaking excited!!!

I already paid off the PS4 and Switch version at GameStop, but now I may need to buy a Japanese version from Amazon JP for the extra goodies!!! *__*

11 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

I hope the zones are out of their regular order in Encore mode. Going to Angel Island, to Hydrocity, to Mirage Saloon would be nice. Studiopolis as the stage before Titanic Monarch.

It's definitely something to hope for. And it would be interesting to see Studiopolis in place of MM.

12 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

I hope too. And as Angel Island might be the intro zone or first zone, the last zone could even be the Scrap Brain. If that happens, I will hilariously laugh. Cause Scrap Brain is f...ing amazing.

• Chuckle 1

While I'll laugh at the "mania destroying your wallet" joke like the rest of you, am I the only one who was surprised by that price point? Its cheaper than I thought it would be to upgrade my standing version up to Plus.

I can double dip and not even blink. Feels good to scream shut up and take my money and only be out a fiver.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

21 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Not just out of order but have new transitions for the new order as well.

If I was really being greedy though, my dream setup would actually be a mode with randomized level order every time you played it with unique transitions for every possible combination. The replay value would feel near endless then and the only thing missing for me would be a playable Amy (though I don't see it ever happening preferably without the hammer).

• Promotion 1

Spoiler

I did not expect the tag team aspect of it. Really fucking nice. I love that.

Hoping it's not all palette swapped zones. I want me some remakes like that Angel Island goodness.

But really nice stuff. A good 180° of what I thought back when it was announced. I'm picking this up day one.

3 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Only if you're a fan of her hammer (everyone but me it seems).

Honestly I don't know why you seem to have such a beef with her hammer. I keep seeing you rag on about it on multiple topics for no reason. Goodness forbid Amy has a iconic weapon?! It's something she has had starting with Sonic The Fighters, Amy has had her hammer in some form or another for over 22 years now. so there is ZERO reason for anybody not to associate it with her. It's fine that you don't like it yourself, but it's not strange that most of the rest of us prefer her with it regardless of classic or modern style and think of it along with SEGA that it's apart of her iconic character. No good reason not to include it when making any normal version of her playable far as I am concerned. Instead of worrying about how exactly SEGA would make her playable if they ever decide to include her in a new Classic Sonic game... we first need to simply hope for and get lucky if they ever decide to include her whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 6

41 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Agreed, And I really think Zone to Zone will be randomised for each new play through - the transitions will just be via the Phantom Ruby each time to save on resources - I don’t think they’ll bother redoing a whole load of new transitions for Encore (I mean look, they only did half the first time round and just managed to fit the others in this time for the original Mania Mode. 

I’m not saying this is lazy - just thinking practically here. Ray and Mighty will (and I’m guessing) be in the regular Mania Mode anyway, unless encore mode is by way of their introduction? I dunno.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Oh man, what if the Encore Mode is more like a Story Mode +, after the events of the main game, and all the zones are now properly connected with not only transitions but bits of "new" zones like Angel Island?!? Would explain why there are no lifes anymore, it's a Story Mode.

My suspicion (since it’s called encore mode - and the definition of encore is “a repeated or additional performance after the main show concludes”) is that it is set directly after the events of the first game (post Forces) - one of those screens shows sonic getting dumped on Angel Island via the Ruby Portal from Modern Sonic’s Dimension. I’m guessing Mania Adventures is a sort of quasi tie in or lead up to Encore Mode in effect.

• Thumbs Up 3