Awoo.

New Sonic Heroes Development info.

MainJP

5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Sad thing is that Rouge was pretty much a villain during that arc.

I meant more that that could've been a Universe arc/issue, but whateves. I should probably get around to finding and rereading that arc now that finals are upon us.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I meant more that that could've been a Universe arc/issue, but whateves. I should probably get around to finding and rereading that arc now that finals are upon us.

Hopefully, we can get a side series like the Universe books. 

• Nice Smile 1

21 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Not really 

Comic books do that shit at all the time. 

and that somehow makes it okay?

21 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I litter ally saw batman get lazered through the head and then dye, but instead have his soul time travel so he would eventually return. Like , media does this so often, i'm trying to figure out what the issue is. Is was some drama, sure. But its a game about cartoon hedgehogs saving the world, if Marvel can get away with literally sniping cap and bringing him back a hedgehog can fall and take a bump and be fine. It doesn't really cheapen anything, he still did what he wanted to do, it helped people. Now he is alive to help more people

Like i'm not trying to be condescending, but if you have a problem with " oh he's alive " you might want to stop watching most modern media ever

That's precisely the problem. Characters like Batman, Cap America and the other the real money makers on the market are essentially too profitable to outright die. Any time the stakes are raised, and one of those main faces is forced to bite the bullet, its done in the knowledge that in about 2 years, or as soon as the company needs a fresh jolt of enthusiasm, said hero will make a triumphant return from the dead.

Outside of the initial shock value, there is no lasting significance to death in most comics. That's why the term "Comic Book Death" is a thing. Its done to salvage the pure marketability of core characters and Sonic Team shouldn't be given a pass because Marvel and DC get away with it. It should be identified and called out for what it is. When you remove the stakes of death, the sacrifice of life becomes a lot less special. Shadow giving his life to full Maria's wish is significantly less profound in retrospect since he didn't actually die, and its even more of a slap to the side of the head if the developers never intended for him to die in the first place. That would make SA2's ending little more than click-bait.

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

When you remove the stakes of death, the sacrifice of life becomes a lot less special. Shadow giving his life to full Maria's wish is significantly less profound in retrospect since he didn't actually die, and its even more of a slap to the side of the head if the developers never intended for him to die in the first place. That would make SA2's ending little more than click-bait.

So like the Dragon Ball series?

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So like the Dragon Ball series?

To be fair, Dragon Ball established a semi-reliable way out from the beginning and has clear rules in place to help make things more intense on occasion. Even if that also partially means it had to constantly up the ante.

DragonBall would be example 1a, right behind 95% of the comics industry.

While it does outline rules for coming back to life, in the end It doesn't matter if anyone dies in that series. If they are popular, you'll just see them again at the end of the net arc, no worse for the ware. Belittling character death is a dangerous trend to start.

Shoot, they have villans destroy the Earth in that series and they can just fix it with a hand-wave. The stakes just arn't there from a consequences standpoint. All the tension and drama comes from power levels and who can beat who.

As much as I like still having our boy Shadow around, I have to call it as I see it.

Interesting, when it rains it pours it seems. First the Heroes stuff, and now articles on the "lost" but known copy of the original Mega Drive version of Sonic the Hedgehog are popping up.

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2018/04/29/original-sonic-the-hedgehog-genesis-protoype-confirmed-to-be-in-existence/

As the article mentions Retro have been over this for some time. It's a shame that there are hurdles that still can't be surmounted in regards to the community getting their hands on the cart and preserving it properly. Hopefully one day!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, Tenko said:

Interesting, when it rains it pours it seems. First the Heroes stuff, and now articles on the "lost" but known copy of the original Mega Drive version of Sonic the Hedgehog are popping up.

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2018/04/29/original-sonic-the-hedgehog-genesis-protoype-confirmed-to-be-in-existence/

As the article mentions Retro have been over this for some time. It's a shame that there are hurdles that still can't be surmounted in regards to the community getting their hands on the cart and preserving it properly. Hopefully one day!!

I agree. Please don’t let this end up like Sonic Generations (PSP version) or SegaSonic Bros., PLEASE.

It is interesting that according to this, Team Hooligan has sort of always been an idea floating about in the background, even for Sega. Makes the recent idea of them as a group in Mania feel less like just a comics idea now.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/27/2018 at 7:46 PM, StaticMania said:

It's probably because she actually has a figure...and every other character is noodle limbed.

It's not mutually exclusive you know. She was both meant to be seductive and appear physically powerful but in the legs (which are widely seen as attractive for women). Her earlier designs had her be skinnier anyway.

480?cb=20180206142529

640?cb=20170710202444

On 4/28/2018 at 8:40 AM, RedFox99 said:

Sad thing is that Rouge was pretty much a villain during the TTT arc; though, her and Amy seemed to be on good terms according to the Shattered arc.

Funny enough, once she showed up and awhile afte Archie Rouge was characterized as more of a villain than she was in the games after Sonic Adventure 2. Part of it was the Julie-Su issue (the comicrunners wouldn't let any other woman be a a serious option for Knuckles), part of it was not really having a sure idea of her character.

On 4/28/2018 at 2:34 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Outside of the initial shock value, there is no lasting significance to death in most comics. That's why the term "Comic Book Death" is a thing. Its done to salvage the pure marketability of core characters and Sonic Team shouldn't be given a pass because Marvel and DC get away with it. It should be identified and called out for what it is. When you remove the stakes of death, the sacrifice of life becomes a lot less special. Shadow giving his life to full Maria's wish is significantly less profound in retrospect since he didn't actually die, and its even more of a slap to the side of the head if the developers never intended for him to die in the first place. That would make SA2's ending little more than click-bait.

I figure that Sonic Adventure 2's ending was written for either situation. If Shadow and really Sonic Adventure 2 didn't work out they could be kill him off there and be done with him (and perhaps 3D Sonic, if not Sonic). If he was hit (which he and Sonic Adventure 2 were) he could be back in the next game or the one after it since the way he went out was open enough. Iizuka even talked about considering giving Shadow his own game not too long after Adventure 2 came out.

11 hours ago, TwinbeeMkII said:

It is interesting that according to this, Team Hooligan has sort of always been an idea floating about in the background, even for Sega. Makes the recent idea of them as a group in Mania feel less like just a comics idea now.

If we're lucky, they're survive the mandates.

23 hours ago, Almar said:

It's not mutually exclusive you know. She was both meant to be seductive and appear physically powerful but in the legs (which are widely seen as attractive for women). Her earlier designs had her be skinnier anyway.

480?cb=20180206142529

640?cb=20170710202444

That first one looks kinda weird.

But now that you brought this up, that could potentially be a throwback to how they seemed to be taking cues from Amy initially.

Funny enough, once she showed up and awhile afte Archie Rouge was characterized as more of a villain than she was in the games after Sonic Adventure 2. Part of it was the Julie-Su issue (the comicrunners wouldn't let any other woman be a a serious option for Knuckles), part of it was not really having a sure idea of her character.

Ironically enough, I'd say it's much more the latter than the former, considering.

I figure that Sonic Adventure 2's ending was written for either situation. If Shadow and really Sonic Adventure 2 didn't work out they could be kill him off there and be done with him (and perhaps 3D Sonic, if not Sonic). If he was hit (which he and Sonic Adventure 2 were) he could be back in the next game or the one after it since the way he went out was open enough. Iizuka even talked about considering giving Shadow his own game not too long after Adventure 2 came out.

Essentially.

Why in the world would they have considered stopping with [3D] Sonic, though?