Awoo.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4, XB1 & PC) Sept 14th 2018

TheOcelot

The release date of 14th September for the third game in the reboot trilogy called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" was announced today:

There's no timed-exclusivity this time. It's coming to PS4, Xb1 & PC all on the same day (no word on a Switch release):

Infographics_Tomb_Raider_1080_PS4_PEGI_NO_LOGO_1524734977

Ultimate_Edition_1080_ALL_PEGI_15247335431524827663795_original.jpg

Eurogamer hands-on preview:

So, are you guys excited for Shadow of the Tomb Raider? I thought the 2013 game was excellent, although I've hardly played any of the 2015 game.

No longer making it a timed (Xbox) exclusive was a good idea!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully becoming "the Tomb Raider she is destined to be" means she won't keep getting mopey every time she kills a platoon of people before going right back and doing it again.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

Looking forward to it!

What I really want to see in this game is Lara's character evolve further towards something of the like that we had in Legend. I've found her characterisation over the past two games to be really bland, generic and humourless. I really think Legend, Anniversary and Underworld did a great job of making Lara witty and intelligent, ruthless but likeable. Here's hoping we get less uber-serious Lara in this one. Also would love to have her globetrotting again, but I very much doubt that'll be happening.

I already knew about this game a few weeks ago, nice to see that are a few other people also interested...

I've played and finished the 2013 game, however I didn't became excited when I played the 2015 game and it didn't brought me forward. I've read that this game would be a sequel to the 2015 game, so if my PC still supports (Because both of the games almost made my PC fry an egg) I probably will play it, hope missing RoTR don't disturb so much this time. Plus, I also watched the movie earlier this year, which I liked, even being almost the 2013 game in the theaters.

I've played during a few minutes the earlier games (From the 90's), but I also didn't went forward. So yeah, I think I'm a new generation fan of the series. It's good to see old game franchises reborn.

The bullshit of providing "48 hour early access" as a pre-order incentive is a shameful low. I want to pirate the game on those grounds alone.

• Thumbs Up 3

i could somewhat see what they'd be going for if it was early access to a demo if they released it for everyone.

but why 48-hour early access to the full game? that's weird, random and just stupid.

14 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

i could somewhat see what they'd be going for if it was early access to a demo if they released it for everyone.

but why 48-hour early access to the full game? that's weird, random and just stupid.

Cause AAA industry bullshit and gotta get those pre orders somehow. I’d even expect more of this shit now that loot boxes are essentially out of the question for most companies

You know what's weird to me? When games are announced and they've already got box art made for it. It felt like back in the day you'd have to wait a while for that stuff to show up.

I have been a longtime fan of the series, but the reboot always rubs me the wrong way. I'm intrigued with the plot but I couldn't hate the gameplay more.

I don't know how I feel about this, they promised it's more puzzle oriented but I am expecting the same bullshit all over again lol.

Also, wtf is up with the 48h early access.

On 28/04/2018 at 1:05 AM, Meta77 said:

Well people whined about loot boxes so expect more of this

Whined? Loot boxes are shitty practice, tantamount to gambling. It's an ongoing debate, but in some countries now they are legally considered gambling. You pay real money for a random selection of items, an are encouraged to buy more with hopes of securing more rare items. It's not whining when it's something so significant. I absolutely hope that people kick up a fuss about this. It's incredibly shitty.They're preying on temptation and hype to make people pay extra money for the same product. They're withholding access to those who don't pay extra, not granting early access to those who do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Whined? Loot boxes are shitty practice, tantamount to gambling. It's an ongoing debate, but in some countries now they are legally considered gambling. You pay real money for a random selection of items, an are encouraged to buy more with hopes of securing more rare items. It's not whining when it's something so significant. I absolutely hope that people kick up a fuss about this. It's incredibly shitty.They're preying on temptation and hype to make people pay extra money for the same product. They're withholding access to those who don't pay extra, not granting early access to those who do.

And in that it's business. People are free to gripe till the sun comes up but they are a business. At the end of the day they are going to get thier money.  be it loot boxes. But take those out than you'll get a in game currency, take those you'll get season passes and day 1 exclusive skins or armors.  gambling are only those boxes with no guarantee for a item but also those same countries said items that can be traded for real money. No one said people could not kick and and salt but dlc and exclusive loot will be here for now till the end. People kicked at ea but overwatch was doing it well a year before it and no one batted an eye. having a pink skin over a default is in no one life changing .   again it may be "shitty" but from a business sense in today's market they know they have a playbook of way to nickel and dime. Then again im a business major so im more the shrug cause its basically what  is taught to us. But what would cause it not to be gambling. Stick up odds of getting certain items. Same as trading cards. Regardless did and exclusive content aren't going anywhere.

As for the 48 hour deal. It's to pull in preorders.  again no ones forcing anyone's hand they want the money and gamers who want to spend a little more get a little  more. 

All I care is hopefully there will be some actual tombs challenges

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I personally think loot boxes are fine as long as it's not a requirement to play the game (some games intentionally make it difficult to play without "upgrading" something), or it gives an unfair advantage over other players (common in one of those Japanese Gacha games). Tbh I was annoyed more at free & optional gambling elements in game considered more dangerous than lootboxes. RIP Pokemon slot machines...

The 48 hour thing is ridiculous, but for the most part harmless. It will be shitty if there is no free demo though.

• Fist Bump 1

I enjoyed the first game but gave up halfway through the second one. Don't think that I'm going to be giving this one a go, even with its...enticing 48 hour early access...lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

If I can be honest, the only reason the loot box thing became a issue is because of EA's questionable marketing practices with Star Wars Battlefront 2. They made loot boxes a huge part of the game and that ended up leaving the game a husk of it's former self once the loot boxes were disabled and removed. Even Disney was on their asses for callously using loot boxes as a excuse to milk more money out of people.

Lootboxes on their own, when used right, are not inherently horrible. The accusation of them being tools for gambling is a very subjective topic and one that, by all rights, should be discussed. I will not deny that. Though this doesn't make lootboxes exactly the worst thing in the world. It's just something that needs to be regulated better and kept an eye on so no game company repeats the fallacy of EA. Not that any other company would be insane enough to follow in EA's footsteps.

Edited by Ashwalking Bat
  • Thumbs Up 1