Awoo.

Pictures of my fan game ^^

Anucci

Hi ( sorry if my english is not perfect im french ^^ )

I work on a fan game based on the 90s sonic the hedgehog TV series, I use gamemaker for the engine.

Here's some ingame pictures of the game : 

premiere_image.png

image7.png

image9.jpg

image4.png

image10.jpg

2image.png

image5.png

image6.png

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

This is a really awesome and fun idea. The screenshots look really nice.

A game with the visuals of AOSTH sounds like a really cool idea. Nice screenshots!

Baby Sonic & Tails are so cute. 

Wonder if there will be a boss-fight against Pseudo Sonic :D

I'm going to be honest; I'm quite confused by this. This doesn't look like a game. It looks like you took a bunch of disparate screenshots of AoStH characters and pasted them onto flat backgrounds and are claiming this is a game. I have absolutely no idea what any of the possible contexts could be for any of these situations, like baby Sonic and Tails and than them being all fat, especially since you use the same three backgrounds. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Ça alors. C’est super!
T’es très doué!

Ça alors. C’est super!
T’es très doué!

Wait.
That’s rude of me.
I said.
‘Oh my. That looks amazing!
You’re really talented!’

Sorry about that.

Ok so I'm gonna ask because nobody else has.

Is this... actually a game? Or have you just made some nice screenshots to try and dupe some people?

The reason why I ask this is because your screenshots here don't make much sense to me from a developer standpoint.

The first thing which I've noticed... the Ring, time and score counter is the same across every screenshot, which absolutely shouldn't be the case unless they were not functioning and you just put in some hard coded numbers to display on the screen.

The other thing which I have to ask, because these graphics look ripped directly from the show, so how are you handling animations? Are they also being ripped frame by frame and then put into the games character animation loop?

Just that seems really tricky to do, just to even get the frames... Let alone then crop them to a decent aspect ratio and then incorporate them into the animation file.

Several screens have the exact same background with radically different scenarios... again this seems really odd and very unlikely if this were taken from an actual game.

This screenshot especially looks a bit odd.

image6.png

Going by the life bar, you're playing as Sonic, especially given how Sonic is at the centre of the screen... but Tails is flying ahead of him.

Aside from the fact Tails normally follows Sonic. In a gameplay situation, to have Tails ahead of Sonic where the player needs to react to incoming traps and hazards, this would be very distracting.

2image.png&key=113e7c39667e299163b39f5ce

This screenshot... Tails is reacting to Sonic... that means you must have coded some behaviour into the Tails character so he reacts to this specific movement/change of state... but... again this seems a bit... why would you do this?

image7.png&key=e6e914d5de5a023f35db7b639

Same with this one. Coconuts is reacting to Sonic coming at him... but surely.. an enemy would not react in this way because it would make their attempts to be a threat void? The moment the player gets within a specific distance it triggers that animation from the enemy.

So... any chance you can elaborate on this? Like... is this actually a game or are these just mockups? And if it is, could we get some video because it would be nice to see the character interaction behaviour in action as well as how well you've brought the animations over from the show.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 2

• 3 weeks later...

This could be a good idea, but like many others here, I would like to see a video of some gameplay footage.

19 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

This could be a good idea, but like many others here, I would like to see a video of some gameplay footage.

OP joined April 28, and their last visit was April 28. We ain’t gettin’ squat. Thread could probably be closed.

23 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

OP joined April 28, and their last visit was April 28. We ain’t gettin’ squat. Thread could probably be closed.

We don't generally close threads for such a reason. It's not like the OP can't come back. And I'll also mention that, even if these screenshots are fake, that wouldn't even necessarily be a reason to close the thread either, since the mock screenshots are still a creative work - the title and OP would just probably have to be adjusted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's my take on this... The pictures can be explained simply by how the game clearly doesn't have much development time put into it yet as of the screenshots. They are in-game screenshots, but only in the sense that the background, foreground, and various character/item images have been correctly cropped and added into the game engine, likely just as tests and placeholders. It's possible that he could have just hit a single key on the keyboard and it automatically changes Sonic's image from one to another, with no animation to accompany it. It's all for the sake of testing.  Cocunut's jaw drop image is quite possibly the only one in his build so far and he isn't even moving. Nothing may possible even imply that "hitting" him will even do anything here. 

So basically I think we're all looking at still images with the only real playable feature in this game being the ability to move left and right and to jump, probably with hardly any frames of animation whatsoever. We're looking at a game that's a long way from even the Alpha phase. The problem with a game like this is that, while the AOSTH characters and backgrounds all look nice in still screenshots, how much material directly from the show do you have to work with that'll translate well into a 2D setting? Very little quite likely, especially if the animation is intended to be smooth. This'll likely never come out without a design overhaul.

At least, that's my assumption.

• Thumbs Up 1