Awoo.

How should racist or bigots in fandoms be handled/dealt with?

ShadowSJG

This is related to a previous thread I had, in which I guess I went about it the wrong way.  So since exposing isn't the right way to go about it, I wanted to ask, what's the best way to deal with prominent individuals in fandoms who have expressed racist or bigoted views. I know I should let it go as dwelling on it is negative, but honestly, I'm just frustrated that people like this are racist and can get away with it as a minority myself. So, what do you think is the best way to deal with these issues?

Look, there will always be assholes who behave as they feel and will take pleasure in other's reaction to their less than nice comments. Internet anonymity allows for this. Even if you made a serious effort to weed out any and all bad apples. More will come in their place. Like I said before. It's not worth the time or effort to try, as they tend to only hurt themselves mostly. So ignoring them is your best course of action, if you value your sanity. Seriously, stop pursuing this.

Edited by Ashwalking Bat
  • Thumbs Up 3

Shitty people exist everywhere, it's unfortunate, but sometimes it's better to not give shitty people the attention they are seeking.

I think for your own sake the best thing to do is to just let it go and not give them the time of day. You could always try arguing with them if they're spreading particular ignorant and malicious ideas (though you actually have to be good at debating and know what you're talking about, not just make emotional pleas), if only to put their views under more scrutiny for an audience, but in this Internet age where people just block anybody who disagrees with them and lock themselves in echo chambers all day, is it worth the energy?

Going by your topic history, I'm expecting this to circle around even when you get the answers you want, so I'm just going to lock this.

• Thumbs Up 9

• The topic was locked

Elect them president if you frequent reddit. Call for them to be dragged out into the street and shot if you frequent tumblr.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 8