Awoo.

Net Neutrality . Help save it!

KHCast

So you all remember that big deal the internet made awhile back regarding the FCC and net neutrality? Yeah well that fight never ended, and we’re finally coming to the big vote on it. This Wednesday, the senate will decide essentially whether it lives or dies. If the senate rule in favor of the fcc, the protections regarding our internet freedoms in the US will be taken away within the month from what I’ve seen and heard. I’ll share some links if you all want to help and do something to fight against this

https://www.battleforthenet.com/?org=fftf&utm_source=email&utm_medium=BFTN&utm_campaign=RedAlert&link_id=0&can_id=4370ccbe1e74c486c32643e3e965a75d&email_referrer=email_351613&email_subject=here-we-go

If the ssmb would like to put the red alert thing on the site, here’s the widget code

http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/BgE/ni0YAA/t.2hb/0x5XDU6eQ1W6vy4OjhqJMw/h4/N4TP83PuCSy3b099M34ab-2BZOQ1WLSHQWvI1OTpbSZZZdogn1Riw4eCrhZVNgoJIo

Some avatars and profile pics of you want to use these

http://click.actionnetwork.org/mpss/c/BgE/ni0YAA/t.2hb/0x5XDU6eQ1W6vy4OjhqJMw/h3/yZH-2BImYNhf0NpOFB6eZZzllqtOv2C6V6JK-2FOhEUc1yJA3JxHRH0t5t2iUOypzlHT

I know tumblr and a few other sites have joined in on this red alert, so there definitely I’m hoping will be a large uproar similar to before, but I definitely am worried, as I’m not seeing much discussion this time around. Really this is just to raise awareness, but if anyone wants to discuss this on here, that’s great also.

• Thumbs Up 9

Honestly, I'd not worry too much. Allowing the FCC to actually get away with such callous actions against Net Neutrality would absolutely destroy the internet. No one will want to use it and we will be back to square one. I suppose there will be some who would still shell out for the fees just to get on sites, but in reality no one would even want to touch the internet once it becomes a pay to play wasteland.

If we think logically, no one would actively allow this to happen. Especially with even the creators of the internet saying that allowing such a thing to pass would be suicide for the internet. And honestly, the only ones who want this to happen are Major ISPs. Anyone else for Anti-Net Neutrality were merely bought off by them.

Though getting the word out that we need to prevent the Repeal from happening is still a good thing to do regardless. If the head count against the Repeal is high enough, it will be thrown into the trash with all the other failed attempts at killing our Net Neutrality and our privacy.

Edited by Ashwalking Bat

Yeah, I'm pretty anxious myself. Trump has had the perfect team and Senate to pass the bill that kept being put off as a joke like "yeah, the government wouldn't really pass rules to kill net neutrality". 

Yet, Trump and his administration that /pol/ helped elect will (try to) kill their platform. 

It's kind of highly ironic but sad and scary for the people who didn't contribute to this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m honestly not gonna feel bad if people suddenly are like “what?! Wish they gave us a heads up so we could do something!!!” If NN gets killed, since for months people have tried getting us to keep the heat up.

• Thumbs Up 3

After taking it in I’m just eccstatic that we won! For now of course, but still, this is great progress. It’s anazing to know that the people voiced their anger and actually did something to send their message clear. That the senate was on our side and not corporations is jaw dropping especially given the pull they have. Now we just need trump and the house to side with us. Then I can laugh at AT&T’s ceo crying and whining about life not being fair while he’s in his pool of money.

• Nice Smile 2

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Now we just need trump to side with us

Unfortunately, I doubt that's going to happen. Still, at least when he vetos it everyone and their dog is going to sue the crap out of the FCC, so there's that.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, KHCast said:

After taking it in I’m just eccstatic that we won! For now of course, but still, this is great progress. It’s anazing to know that the people voiced their anger and actually did something to send their message clear. That the senate was on our side and not corporations is jaw dropping especially given the pull they have. Now we just need trump and the house to side with us. Then I can laugh at AT&T’s ceo crying and whining about life not being fair while he’s in his pool of money.

Could we perhaps get some details on that?  Like, the yes/no ratio on the bill, reputable links, etc.?

Like, I know it seems like I'm just too lazy to Google it... and I am.

13 minutes ago, Tara said:

Could we perhaps get some details on that?  Like, the yes/no ratio on the bill, reputable links, etc.?

Like, I know it seems like I'm just too lazy to Google it... and I am.

https://gizmodo.com/senate-votes-to-save-net-neutrality-proving-shame-stil-1826054197/amp

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/05/16/politics/net-neutrality-vote-senate-democrats/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna874786

It was a 52-47 vote earlier that pushed us to the main congress vote, which ended up being in our favor. We still have the house and trump to worry about though with this 

sidenote: lol at conservatives complaining about this and saying how everyone against this are eating into a lie

• Thumbs Up 1

The amount of irony in this video now is so unbelievably funny.

Thank God Net Neutrality was saved. It was a worrying few months, even as someone who isn't in the US that it could possibly be gone because of greedy cunts like the FCC and any corporation trying to pull this shit. Seeing the sheer level of smugness during this whole mess, such as the above video, well it's nothing short of satisfying to see the efforts to destroy Net Neutrality completely crash down again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Doesn’t sound like the fcc is dead regarding this. So do we have until June 11th to get the no on this by trump and house?

84CC612A-08B0-493A-BFEF-CB82EE39DFF6.png

27 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Thank God Net Neutrality was saved. It was a worrying few months, even as someone who isn't in the US that it could possibly be gone because of greedy cunts like the FCC and any corporation trying to pull this shit. Seeing the sheer level of smugness during this whole mess, such as the above video, well it's nothing short of satisfying to see the efforts to destroy Net Neutrality completely crash down again.

It's not exactly on the FCC itself. They were mere victims of Ajit Pai's tyrannical chairman rule. Not to mention Mr. Pai is a major Ex Verizon Lawyer which is in favor of Major ISPs having control of the internet. A good amount of push back as far as the Anti-Net Neutrality front is concerned, was and still is the Major ISPs who see the internet as huge opportunity to make money on a larger scale. Let's not forget the ramifications, if we lost this. Not more than a month or two after the Repeal was motioned originally by the FCC, that Ajit Pai already was wanting to have the definition of Broadband changed to include the internet as a whole. So yeah. It's clear who our enemies are.

52-47 isn't bragworthy at all, considering Murkowski and Collins are routine defectors from the GOP. Only Senator Kennedy is surprising, and just one Republican defecting means little because that just invites Pence to stroll down and break a tie on most votes.

It's a token victory though, because this bill will most likely die in the House, where the Hastert Rule will do its part to keep it from being voted on.

On the other hand, hey, now the House GOP can be blamed for gutting net neutrality. Should make the midterms more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 3

That’s the sad thing yeah. At the very least, at least once the effects start up in June, as sinister as it is, the effects won’t be noticeably damaging. Long term they fuck us, but at least short term, like the first few years, it will be unnoticable the change...*sigh* hopefully we’ll be able to get this changed though before it really starts damaging our community 

• Fist Bump 1

At least it puts my old man's company that he works for (Comcast) on notice as they are one of the companies that love Republican scum.

I'm glad the senate saved net neutrality, but we still have to convince the house and Trump to save it as well. It it doesn't pass house or gets vetoed by Trump, then we'll have to fight the FCC more than we are right now. Lastly, if we fail to save net neutrality by June 11th, then I hope any ISP that starts to block websites and implement "fast lanes" get screwed over big time, as they would deserve to lose all their customers.

19 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

I'm glad the senate saved net neutrality, but we still have to convince the house and Trump to save it as well. It it doesn't pass house or gets vetoed by Trump, then we'll have to fight the FCC more than we are right now. Lastly, if we fail to save net neutrality by June 11th, then I hope any ISP that starts to block websites and implement "fast lanes" get screwed over big time, as they would deserve to lose all their customers.

I guarantee YouTube and Facebook will embrace it regardless as they know they can and not get impacted much overall. Both FB and google have been pretty hush hush on the issue after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Especially considering that those sites can afford to take the Pay to Play hit if and when it comes. Though the amount of internet users will be reduced pretty drastically. This Repeal is namely going to benefit the rich and single out the poor, which already on it's own makes this the worst thing possible for the USA in general. Not to mention what will happen when it starts affecting other countries ultimately. In some scary way, the USA will be controlling good amount of the internet content people all over the world see.

Honestly, artistic mediums will probably get hit the hardest by this. Considering that government control over all content pretty much will limit Freedom of Expression and Speech. Also you'll not be able to disagree with the public or be able to make slam pieces that oppose a popular point of view. So yeah. This will pretty much make gaming and any art medium either die out, or be a boring mess of compromise.

• Absolutely 1

On 5/16/2018 at 3:58 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I’m sorry, but this video makes me want to deck this guy in the face with brass knuckles for how insultingly out-of-touch it was.

• Fist Bump 3

14 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I’m sorry, but this video makes me want to deck this guy in the face with brass knuckles for how insultingly out-of-touch it was.

12 hours ago, KHCast said:

That video is literally the definition of evil smug bastard 

Well, Ajit Pai made this video in response to what he thought was a 'unnecessary freak out' about the repeal of Net Neutrality. Justifying it as Obama era regulations. Yes, they were passed around the time of Obama. But he had little to do with the proposal to make Type 2 regulation's be official law. That was due to the pressure the American people put on the previous FCC Chairman to not stop the idea of Net Neutrality from being a thing. Not to mention that the battle between Major ISPs and Type 2 has raged on long before that. So as much as he wants us to think it's a new thing created by 'Big Bad Obama' that he is eradicating. It's not.

Anyway,  Ajit Pai's out of touch ideals with what he thinks we are still doing and memeing comes from the idea that the internet hasn't evolved much beyond basic stuff of that nature. Though due to questions involving the Harlem Shake which was featured as a thing in the original version of this video. The FCC and namely Ajit Pai refused those questions and removed that part of the video. Though ultimately, this video tries to lie to us about what we'd still be able to do as either lower or middle class citizens. A lot of what he mentioned will either not be possible, or badly nerfed by government monitoring and blocking of content.

But yeah. You'd not expect less from someone like him.