Awoo.

30th Anniversary

DCFCSonic20

I know it's still 3 years to go yet, but I'm curious to what people think SEGA will do for it. 

For me, it will depend on the success on the next mainstream Sonic game next year. I don't see it being a movie-tie in game, personally this game will define what SEGA will do for the 30th Anniversary.

I personally hope that Classic Sonic and Green Hill Zone return for the 30th Anniversary Sonic game.

• Promotion 4
  • Way Past Cool 2

They'll probably make a bad game. That seems to be a thing they're fond of doing.

• Chuckle 5
  • Absolutely 1

Just now, Diogenes said:

They'll probably make a bad game. That seems to be a thing they're fond of doing.

I don´t think it will be that bad. Surely better than Forces.

11 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I personally hope that Classic Sonic and Green Hill Zone return for the 30th Anniversary Sonic game.

Really? Do we have to do this for every bloody anniversary? 

Like seriously, five years isn't even that big of a time range. Do nothing for every future anniversary, stop it with the legacy shit, and focus on making a quality game that stands on its own. I know that won't happen but you know. 

4 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Don’t forget Chemical Plant Zone.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

GHZ and CPZ again, of course, but in a much more tongue in cheek way. Also, maybe they turn a long-requested feature into the entire focus/gimmick of the game.  Considering the dislike towards Classic shoved into modern games, they might address the concern... 

Vice-versa, anyone? 

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

GHZ and CPZ again, of course, but in a much more tongue in cheek way. Also, maybe they turn a long-requested feature into the entire focus/gimmick of the game.  Considering the dislike towards Classic shoved into modern games, they might address the concern... 

Vice-versa, anyone? 

No.

Not even as a subversion, in-joke, or anything else. It isn't worth a lazy retread for the small joke of that. 

11 minutes ago, A crocodile said:

Really? Do we have to do this for every bloody anniversary? 

Like seriously, five years isn't even that big of a time range. Do nothing for every future anniversary, stop it with the legacy shit, and focus on making a quality game that stands on its own. I know that won't happen but you know. 

11 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Don’t forget Chemical Plant Zone.

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Vice-versa, anyone? 

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No.

Not even as a subversion, in-joke, or anything else. It isn't worth a lazy retread for the small joke of that. 

GHZ, CPZ and HCZ for 30th Anniversary :D I see the pattern... 
10th anniversary - Sonic Adventure 2 - Green Hill

20th anniversary - Sonic Generations - Green Hill, Chemical Plant

30th anniversary - ??? - Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Hydrocity

But in all seriousness, the only one that I would like to see is Hydrocity in 3D.

• Fist Bump 1

Lots and lots of memes...and Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 finally gets released.

Spoiler

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we finally get Sonic 3 Remastered

Related image

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

I know it's still 3 years to go yet, but I'm curious to what people think SEGA will do for it. 

For me, it will depend on the success on the next mainstream Sonic game next year. I don't see it being a movie-tie in game, personally this game will define what SEGA will do for the 30th Anniversary.

I wouldn't expect another mainstream title next year.  It took them 3 years to make Sonic Forces, with most of the time spent developing the upgraded Hedgehog Engine 2 for the visuals.  I'm kinda hoping they'll take that hard backend work and use it to actually spend a good few years on the next 3D Sonic game.

The fact that they were so lax about the 25th anniversary (they didn't force Mania or Forces out the door to make sure it released in the 25th anniversary year arbitrarily thank goodness) means nothing major is assured for the 30th either.

Honestly people are a bit too obsessed with the whole anniversary thing.  It's just a number, SEGA don't need to pour resources into making sure something celebratory happens every 5 years like clockwork when that effort could and should be better spent making a game under good, supportive conditions where the team can give it their all to, once again, try and make a good new Sonic game.

Anyway time to make half of the people on this board feel super old - when the 30th anniversary comes around, Sonic Adventure 2 will be as old as Sonic 1 was when Sonic Generations came out (Sonic Adventure will be by the end of this year).  Oof.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Lots and lots of memes...and Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 finally gets released.

Hide contents

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we finally get Sonic 3 Remastered

Related image

Wait till the Fall. ;) 

37 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well, 2001 had Adventure 2, which at the time was pretty sweet, especially for the Dreamcast. It aged poorly, anyways. Still love how Sonic/Shadow controls on that game tho'.

2011 had Gens, man! It was pretty good. Could've been better, but it's not to be called bad, certainly better than Colors.

How about the 5th anniversary? We got..? Sonic 3D Blast? Eh. 

We don't talk about the 15th anniversary.

And 25th had Mania! And Forces...

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I wouldn't expect another mainstream title next year.  It took them 3 years to make Sonic Forces, with most of the time spent developing the upgraded Hedgehog Engine 2 for the visuals.  I'm kinda hoping they'll take that hard backend work and use it to actually spend a good few years on the next 3D Sonic game.

The fact that they were so lax about the 25th anniversary (they didn't force Mania or Forces out the door to make sure it released in the 25th anniversary year arbitrarily thank goodness) means nothing major is assured for the 30th either.

I doubt SEGA or Sonic Team for that matter will not release a main stream Sonic game for the next 3 years. The A team has been quiet since Generations, while the B team created Lost World and Forces. Considering that, plus the movie coming next year we are bound to get something.

Since the A Team has been doing nothing since 2011, they have obviously been working on something on the side of Forces being in development. They just waited until the Hedgehog Engine 2 was finished as the Hedgehog Engine would look graphically displeasing on current Gen home consoles. Next year and the 30th Anniversary will be big plans for the blue blur. 

Mark my words.

• Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

I doubt SEGA or Sonic Team for that matter will not release a main stream Sonic game for the next 3 years. The A team has been quiet since Generations, while the B team created Lost World and Forces. Considering that, plus the movie coming next year we are bound to get something.

Since the A Team has been doing nothing since 2011, they have obviously been working on something on the side of Forces being in development. They just waited until the Hedgehog Engine 2 was finished as the Hedgehog Engine would look graphically displeasing on current Gen home consoles. Next year and the 30th Anniversary will be big plans for the blue blur. 

Mark my words.

Out of curiousity, what makes you assume that the "A team" "B team" thing is still in effect?  Companies change internal structures all the time and if the point of having two seperate teams is to have yearly game releases, well, they kinda screwed that up for the past three years didn't they?

• Thumbs Up 6

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

And 25th had Mania! And Forces...

Judging by those ellipses after Forces, you were obviously dissatisfied about the game just like the other 85% of the audience. 

Though Mania an Forces were announced to commerate the 25th Anniversary and not to be released alongside. They didn't rush them, but too much time was spent on the visuals and music. They took a step back of level design, which were extremely linear and short. 

Just now, JezMM said:

Out of curiousity, what makes you assume that the "A team" "B team" thing is still in effect?  Companies change internal structures all the time and if the point of having two seperate teams is to have yearly game releases, well, they kinda screwed that up for the past three years didn't they?

Well you're not wrong there, but on the other hand SEGA and Sonic Team are well organised, games can't be rushed. One game is in development alongside another. Look at Generations and Colours, they were only one year apart. Colours started development within the B Team right after the A Team released Unleashed. Generations started development in 2009, while still being a 1 year and a half timeframe for development. 

The Boom games and the All Star racing games were developed by completely different companies, Mario has the same thing going. How else do they manage to release consistent games year in year out?

They could of screwed it up, but they really want to take their time, while letting Big Red Button and Sumo Digital release games under the SEGA trademark to give fans something in the mean time. Not even mentioning the Mania team.

11 minutes ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

Judging by those ellipses after Forces, you were obviously dissatisfied about the game just like the other 85% of the audience. 

Though Mania an Forces were announced to commerate the 25th Anniversary and not to be released alongside. They didn't rush them, but too much time was spent on the visuals and music. They took a step back of level design, which were extremely linear and short. 

Well you're not wrong there, but on the other hand SEGA and Sonic Team are well organised, games can't be rushed. One game is in development alongside another. Look at Generations and Colours, they were only one year apart. Colours started development within the B Team right after the A Team released Unleashed. Generations started development in 2009, while still being a 1 year and a half timeframe for development. 

The Boom games and the All Star racing games were developed by completely different companies, Mario has the same thing going. How else do they manage to release consistent games year in year out?

They could of screwed it up, but they really want to take their time, while letting Big Red Button and Sumo Digital release games under the SEGA trademark to give fans something in the mean time. Not even mentioning the Mania team.

Okay but Colours and Generations was 10 years ago.  They've clearly stopped doing this A-team/B-team thing because they stopped releasing games every year after Lost World.  Games made by outside teams like All-Stars and Mania don't factor into this because back then those games were extra ON TOP of the A/B team stuff.

Mario isn't really comparable because all of his games are made by second/third parties excluding the main series, and the main series games tend to only come out once or twice per console generation, nowhere near one every year like Sonic tried to keep up for a while.  I definitely expect the next mainline Sonic title will be announced next year, but honestly I'd rather they put full effort into a great game every 3 years than a half-effort one every 1.5 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

Okay but Colours and Generations was 10 years ago.  They've clearly stopped doing this A-team/B-team thing because they stopped releasing games every year after Lost World.  Games made by outside teams like All-Stars and Mania don't factor into this because back then those games were extra ON TOP of the A/B team stuff.

Mario isn't really comparable because all of his games are made by second/third parties excluding the main series, and the main series games tend to only come out once or twice per console generation, nowhere near one every year like Sonic tried to keep up for a while.  I definitely expect the next mainline Sonic title will be announced next year, but honestly I'd rather they put full effort into a great game every 3 years than a half-effort one every 1.5 years.

Realistically speaking, already waiting 4 years after Lost World coming out we have Forces. Do you really think fans are going to be that patient to practically wait another 4 years for the 30th Anniversary to roll around? Unleashed was fantastic, so was Generations and they both came out 3 years apart.

Apparently the 25th anniversary celebration was supposed to be 'A LOT' more interesting and extravagant than we got.

Nothing along the lines of a new game. But pretty sure Mania was intended to come out on the 25th year.

But just look at it yourself. They made tons of logos for it, teased tons of merch, tons of parties and events and only a handful saw the light of day.

It doesn't take much to figure out they had big plans then cancelled/pushed them back.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

They'll spend the next three years developing the hedgehog engine 3 and develop a "game" to tech demo their precious software in a vain attempt to license it to other companies. They'll then proceed to lose more staff to square-enix, their tech demo will review with mixed to negative reception, and we'll bitch about it to kingdom come.

At this point, I'd rather not want to see ST work on another anniversary game since they tend to be somewhat of a let down. 

Would be much better if they were to work on something actually original that doesn't rely on nostalgia (or at least not in absurd amounts) like Sonic Colors.

7 hours ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

Realistically speaking, already waiting 4 years after Lost World coming out we have Forces. Do you really think fans are going to be that patient to practically wait another 4 years for the 30th Anniversary to roll around? Unleashed was fantastic, so was Generations and they both came out 3 years apart.

I'm saying 2020 would be a reasonable amount of time to expect the next mainline big budget Sonic game if they're really gonna put time and effort into it.  Unleashed was of very mixed quality (even though it's my personal favourite 3D Sonic) and Generations was very short, so they aren't great examples of how the franchise should consistently be one way or another.

Of course this means they wouldn't have a big game for the 30th anniversary in 2021 but as said - who cares.  Games are both an art form and a business and letting multiples of 5 years dictate how they schedule the production of games just because humans like to categorise things into neat little pockets of time is dumb thing to do.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

I'm saying 2020 would be a reasonable amount of time to expect the next mainline big budget Sonic game if they're really gonna put time and effort into it.  Unleashed was of very mixed quality (even though it's my personal favourite 3D Sonic) and Generations was very short, so they aren't great examples of how the franchise should consistently be one way or another.

Of course this means they wouldn't have a big game for the 30th anniversary in 2021 but as said - who cares.  Games are both an art form and a business and letting multiples of 5 years dictate how they schedule the production of games just because humans like to categorise things into neat little pockets of time is dumb thing to do.

I agree with that, but at least Generations has 3D platforming that does not rely on whatever mindf**k they came up with, be it Werehog or Wisps (ok, Wisps were 2D apart from the one that fills Boost Gauge). And that´s maybe where Forces went backwards. It´s like if Generations was treated with Colors level design, minus Wisps.