Awoo.

RUMOR: Star Fox "Grand Prix" (Retro Studios, Diddy Kong Racing x F-Zero)

Marcello

A round of internet leaks has suggested Nintendo's Retro Studios - developer of the Metroid Prime trilogy - is working on a Star Fox racing spin-off.

The leaks appeared online over the weekend on reddit and 4chan, and were then reported this morning on multiple gaming sites and blogs.

So, what do we believe? Well, as improbable as Retro making a Star Fox racing spin-off may sound, Eurogamer sources have heard similar.

Details posted to reddit by user DasVergeben, who has a patchy record, touted Retro's Star Fox project as a racing game "like Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero".

"It will have an adventure mode of some kind (think Diddy Kong Racing) and there will be some boss fights and a hub world like it too.

"It is called Star Fox Grand Prix."

While I hadn't heard the name - and don't know if that is accurate or final - other details line up with what I have heard. The Star Fox series is traditionally a space (and sometimes land) based vehicle shooter, although it has dabbled in various other genres before.

Shortly after the reddit post went live, a logo for Star Fox Grand Prix separately appeared on 4chan, that home of reliable video game leaks. Again, I've not heard that name specifically, but the rest of the details line up.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-14-leaks-suggest-nintendos-retro-studios-making-star-fox-racing-spin-off

Edit: Apparently, this Stealth guy is a bit of a fanboy/bullshitter, so take his word with even more of a grain of salt.

I can't find the post, but apparently, Emily Rogers also said Retro's game would be an existing Nintendo IP and some fans wouldn't be happy with the direction. So these all go together to make this at least somewhat believable.

Found what Emily Rogers said:

Well, if what I've heard is true...and that's a very big IF...

Your "happiness" would ultimately depend on two things.

1. Whether you're a fan of this particular Nintendo IP.
2. Whether you're a fan of this genre.

That's why I said I don't know how the internet will react. You can be a huge fan of the IP, but you may dislike the genre. Or it could be the opposite: you can be a BIG fan of this game's genre, but you were never a fan of the IP. 

Again, that's assuming there's even a smidgen of truth to what I've heard. 

I don't plan to elaborate much more on this, but I hope I answered your question.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-first-party-thread.1934/page-159#post-7516710

Anyway, I'd fucking hate this. I love Star Fox, but I don't like F-Zero, so making SF play like it would kill it for me. It'd also be a waste of Retro to me. I guess I could change my mind if the game's description is terrible and inaccurate.

Again, this is only a rumor. Everyone has a shaky record, but I felt enough people were saying something to warrant a thread. Just don't take this as a fact that this is definitely happening.

Sounds like an interesting concept. I’d be in for this, if this does end up being a real thing. While I’d love another proper Star Fox game that didn’t control horribly (Zero), a DKR-type game sounds like it could be a lot of fun as well.

People kept asking for Star Fox and F-Zero to return so they decided to make Star Fox into F-Zero. Well, it wouldn't be the first time...

At this point I'm staying skeptical of both the game's existence and whether or not it's a good idea, but at this point I can at least say I don't hate what I'm hearing. I've never been into F-Zero, but DKR was fun, and a Star Fox-ified version of that could be fun even if I struggle to imagine it being "main series" material. And considering Retro Studios was responsible for the Metroid Primes, I've got more trust in them than any other developers when it comes to taking Nintendo IPs in new directions.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

I was extremely dafuq when I heard this but the more I think about it the more I'd be okay with the idea. Although even though I enjoyed Star Fox Zero immensely, I understand that most people didn't and announcing this spin-off almost immediately after would be rubbing in a sea of salt with the fanbase, regardless of who's developing it or its quality. It's kind of an Other M/Federation Force situation.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd probably have more interest in this idea if this didn't feel like Nintendo trying to strong-arm the Star Fox IP into something "new" for the umpteenth time; as opposed to either just making a new IP or giving many fans what they actually want and making a proper SF on-rails shooter that actually follows on 64 (and to a lesser extent Assault/Zero) that isn't overridden by gimmicks.The fact they're also trying to fold the Diddy Kong Racing game design setup (multiple vehicles, bosses, hubworlds) and F-Zero gameplay into this AND they intend to make this a reboot/mainline entry rather than a spinoff as well only serve to underline this to me.

It sounds like a bunch of various ideas crafted together that sound good in theory but could easily end up being a patchwork mess in practice; and also simply doesn't sound like the right game for the right time in the context of either of the three IPs mentioned--Star Fox just had its first new game in a decade crash and burn in reviews and sales; and DKR and F-Zero have been buried for over a decade. And I'm saying all of this as a big fan of DKR and SF(64), both of which are two of my favorite N64 games and my favorite games in general (esp. the former).

All that aside; as much as I'm not actually opposed to Retro choosing to make what they want as they are great developers regardless, I was really hoping for them to make a third DKC; namely applying their platformer design talents in a 3D space and giving the series a new 3D platforming game (since TF has been ported to the Switch after it didn't sell too hot on the Wii U). So I'd be lying if I said Retro not working on such a game wouldn't bum me out a lot.

The concept doesn't sound outright terrible; but I'm not gonna lie: I really do hope this is just a rumor, and this isn't the game Retro has been working on all this time.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Nintendo's Dead All Stars Racing," eh?? With Ness, Paper Mario and Issac as guest racers, presumably?

Retro of all people sure has some nerve to call this what Star Fox should be about.

A Star Fox racing game that pulls inspiration from Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero... I'm fine with that...

Could have been worse.

Spoiler

HPjqQjo.jpg

Actually? This sounds great. 

Let's be wholly honest? As much as a linear Star Fox game would be nice, I kind of miss the idea of expanding Star Fox into being more than just the linear rail shooter that it was. 

You know how there's other big sci fi action games out there other than Metroid (also while we're on that note, can we get a Metroid and Star Fox crossover, thanks)? Star Fox should take inspiration from the Mass Effects, Halos, and (especially this one because of 2) Titanfalls of the industry. Don't ignore its story bound roots, keep the starship battles a huge component, but don't be afraid to make it more than the starship dogfighting. This should be Nintendo's Star Wars. They should be able to get to do more than just the dogfighting and anyone who wants to reduce Star Fox to just that sounds like a boring person to me.

Also? Considering Retro Studios does Metroid Prime and the Donkey Kong Country Returns games? There should be no doubts that they know what they're doing.  

I'm not going to lie. Hearing what sounds likes Star Fox: Pod Racing but with the Diddy Kong Racing story mode sounds awesome. This is the first really good decision they've made with Star Fox in a long time. Be weird. Be experimental. Make Star Fox exciting. This is good. This is fantastic. Thank you. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 2

If true, I look forward to seeing a trailer at e3. I would love regular new Star Fox/F-Zero/Diddy Kong Racing games, but this doesn't sound bad on paper at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

Let's be wholly honest? As much as a linear Star Fox game would be nice, I kind of miss the idea of expanding Star Fox into being more than just the linear rail shooter that it was.

Let's be even more wholly honest: I'm sure quite a few people kind of miss the idea of there even being a linear rail shooter with Star Fox in the title that isn't a gimmicky mess when there hasn't been one in the past 12 years.

32 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

This is the first really good decision they've made with Star Fox in a long time.

The only other decisions they've made with Star Fox in the past decade was "rerelease already existing Star Fox games" and "make a version of Star Fox except it's borderline unplayable." That's not the high hurdle that you're presenting it as.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, LongcrierCat said:

Also? Considering Retro Studios does Metroid Prime and the Donkey Kong Country Returns games? There should be no doubts that they know what they're doing.  

Hate to rain on your parade, but not a lot of hardcore Star Fox fans will be on your side in this regard. You are welcome have whatever opinion on this matter, regardless

Though, Retro Studios doing a great job with the Prime Trilogy and the more recent 2.5D Donkey Kong games really doesn't mean much, outside listing accomplishments already done by them. Yes, they are good at what they do when it comes to certain IPs. However, keep in mind development groups like these change out people every so often, not to mention what their current company boss might tell them to do with a series. Bad decisions can be made and expecting something to be good just because it'll be made by a really good game developing group like Retro, doesn't always garentee that they'll crank out a good or great product.

I said that knowing full well that hardcore Star Fox fans weren't going to be on board. 

I wholly mean it too. Star Fox needs to expand its horizons past the on rails shooter or you're just going to keep seeing Star Fox 64 remade which in itself was a Star Fox 1 remake. 

So yeah. It's time to move forward like Star Fox 2 wanted to. Move past the past and do something new and carry this on and well.

It's time to move past Andross already. Give us a new villain. 

Like okay. If Nintendo can't come up with anything new to do with the on rails Star Fox gameplay without attaching a gimmick to it then its probably time to stop trying to make an on rails Star Fox game like the "good old days."

Then again, I'm guilty of loving Star Fox 2. I really just want a new Star Fox like that one. It beats the original Star Fox in every way. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Neogaf/Resetera Community; They could never piss us off as much as with FUCKING Donkey Kong

Retro: Hold my Texas BBQ

• Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

36 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

I said that knowing full well that hardcore Star Fox fans weren't going to be on board. 

I wholly mean it too. Star Fox needs to expand its horizons past the on rails shooter or you're just going to keep seeing Star Fox 64 remade which in itself was a Star Fox 1 remake. 

So yeah. It's time to move forward like Star Fox 2 wanted to. Move past the past and do something new and carry this on and well.

Like okay. If Nintendo can't come up with anything new to do with the on rails Star Fox gameplay without attaching a gimmick to it then its probably time to stop trying to make an on rails Star Fox game like the "good old days."

Then again, I'm guilty of loving Star Fox 2. I really just want a new Star Fox like that one. It beats the original Star Fox in every way. 

Fair enough, though I'd like to point you to Star Fox Assault. That game's main villain wasn't Andross. In fact, the main villain was the Queen to a hive of robotic alien beings called Aparoids, that were essentially kinda like the borg in some regards. I mean look to what they did to Pigma in the game.

Spoiler

Image result for Pigma star fox assault boss

This boss still freaks me out somewhat still to this day. But yeah. Aside from that, it did expand some on the Star Fox formula we know. Not a lot, but it is a respectable start.

37 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

These arguments don't seem to actually be in response to the supposed game this thread is about.

The best-case scenario would seem to be that Retro are attempting to smuggle an actual Star Fox game to retail under the guise of a racing game.

• Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, Tornado said:

These arguments don't seem to actually be in response to the supposed game this thread is about.

It is and it isn't? What I'm getting at is the reductive sense of what seems to be the acceptable way of making a Star Fox game. People really overreacted over Star Fox Adventures and Assault and ever since then we can only get more Star Fox 1/64 Remakes. 

And that same attitude is being made abundantly clear in response to the rumour that we're getting a really cool Star Fox Racing Game. 

I didn't know that Star Fox fans were harder than Sonic fans to be able to accommodate for, but well. I guess I learned my lesson today. 

23 minutes ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

Fair enough, though I'd like to point you to Star Fox Assault. That game's main villain wasn't Andross. In fact, the main villain was the Queen to a hive of robotic alien beings called Aparoids, that were essentially kinda like the borg in some regards. I mean look to what they did to Pigma in the game.

Hide contents

Image result for Pigma star fox assault boss

This boss still freaks me out somewhat still to this day. But yeah. Aside from that, it did expand some on the Star Fox formula we know. Not a lot, but it is a respectable start.

Also, yes. Star Fox Assault is awesome and with the way Beyond Good and Evil 2 is shaping up, Nintendo could take some notes from it and make another Star Fox game like Assault. Oh, and maybe they should bring back Krystal. You know. Just a thought. 

• Fist Bump 2

It is and it isn't? What I'm getting at is the reductive sense of what seems to be the acceptable way of making a Star Fox game. People really overreacted over Star Fox Adventures and Assault and ever since then we can only get more Star Fox 1/64 Remakes. 

And that same attitude is being made abundantly clear in response to the rumour that we're getting a really cool Star Fox Racing Game. 

I didn't know that Star Fox fans were harder than Sonic fans to be able to accommodate for, but well. I guess I learned my lesson today. 

Honestly, I really am not against the idea of expanding the universe of Star Fox myself. Though I tend to be reserved with fan bases as hard clung to their ideals as the Star Fox fandom tends to be.

I just am not sure how Retro Studios will handle doing a racing gaming that is a Star Fox title, let alone the mere idea of doing a Star Fox racing game period. There is a lot fandom friction with this idea and I really don't know it it'll be successful in stores due to that. But who knows, the idea maybe successful and Retro may get lucky in making a wonderful game out of it yet. Too much is in the air right now and plus this still remains to be rumors, untill proven otherwise.

Also, yes. Star Fox Assault is awesome and with the way Beyond Good and Evil 2 is shaping up, Nintendo could take some notes from it and make another Star Fox game like Assault. Oh, and maybe they should bring back Krystal. You know. Just a thought. 

Honestly, it really would be lovely to see the Assault aspects expanded upon even more. Though unless we can get a creative team that could do something like that, I am not sure it'll be anything more than a pipe dream. And Krystal definitely being a part of things again wouldn't hurt at all. I know that's something a lot of older fans seem to have an issue with. Her being in games in general.

2 minutes ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

Honestly, I really am not against the idea of expanding the universe of Star Fox myself. Though I tend to be reserved with fan bases as hard clung to their ideals as the Star Fox fandom tends to be.

I just am not sure how Retro Studios will handle doing a racing gaming that is a Star Fox title, let alone the mere idea of doing a Star Fox racing game period. There is a lot fandom fiction with this idea and I really don't know it it'll be successful in stores due to that. But who knows, the idea maybe successful and Retro may get lucky in making a wonderful game out of it yet. Too much is in the air right now and plus this still remains to be rumors, untill proven otherwise.

Honestly, it really would be lovely to see the Assault aspects expanded upon even more. Though unless we can get a creative team that could do something like that, I am not sure it'll be anything more than a pipe dream. And Krystal definitely being a part of things again wouldn't hurt at all. I know that's something a lot of older fans seem to have an issue with. Her being in games in general.

That's kind of it of what I'm seeing here too. 

I'm seeing a lot of people just angry that this could be a thing without waiting for it to be announced and giving it a proper chance. This might just be a Star Fox and F-Zero crossover game. I mean, would anyone be against all of Nintendo's sci-fi titles taking place in the same universe kind of like it does in Smash Bros but for real and with stories of characters helping each other out? 

Like I don't know. A Metroid game where Samus fights Space Pirates alongside Star Fox kind of sounds awesome

But my huge problem in this thread is that a lot of the people in here have already passed judgement on the game unfairly. Like sheesh. I thought we as a fandom could be bad. This zealousy for Star Fox is as bad as it is in the Star Wars fandom. No. I'm not taking that back. It's honestly kind of ridiculous

• Way Past Cool 1

It's possible Nintendo wants to do a spin off after the poor reception Zero got. A DKR esque game makes sense given Star Fox's plethora of vehicles. Not sure about the F-Zero connection though, hard to imagine high octane racing with say a Landmaster. Unless it'd just be Arwings? That'd certainly be different.

Won't lie, if Retro went to Nintendo and pitched a F-Zero esque racer though, I'd rather just have them make a new F-Zero game.

But still, very open minded right now. Want to hear more.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope Leon is playable and every time he passes you he says "annoying bird, I am the great Leon!"

Even if you're not Falco. Everyone is annoying bird to him.

• Chuckle 3

49 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

That's kind of it of what I'm seeing here too. 

I'm seeing a lot of people just angry that this could be a thing without waiting for it to be announced and giving it a proper chance. This might just be a Star Fox and F-Zero crossover game. I mean, would anyone be against all of Nintendo's sci-fi titles taking place in the same universe kind of like it does in Smash Bros but for real and with stories of characters helping each other out? 

Like I don't know. A Metroid game where Samus fights Space Pirates alongside Star Fox kind of sounds awesome

But my huge problem in this thread is that a lot of the people in here have already passed judgement on the game unfairly. Like sheesh. I thought we as a fandom could be bad. This zealousy for Star Fox is as bad as it is in the Star Wars fandom. No. I'm not taking that back. It's honestly kind of ridiculous

You know. The more I think about that, it does seem a bit odd that anyone would be against that. There are already theories that support the idea that the whole worlds of different Nintendo IPs could and may very well be in the same universe. Nothing is really too far-fetched at this point. If that logic of it all being in the same relative universe is more or less what it is, then the Smash games may as well be the annual battle royal celebration of new and old characters in said universe.

This zealousy for Star Fox is as bad as it is in the Star Wars fandom. No. I'm not taking that back. It's honestly kind of ridiculous

47 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

It's possible Nintendo wants to do a spin off after the poor reception Zero got. A DKR esque game makes sense given Star Fox's plethora of vehicles. Not sure about the F-Zero connection though, hard to imagine high octane racing with say a Landmaster. Unless it'd just be Arwings? That'd certainly be different.

Honestly, that maybe what it is. Zero really rubbed a lot fans the wrong way and the game ended up suffering bad for it. Though seeing a Arwing racer where they have a vehicle mode of some sort similar to the land master, would be interesting.

Edited by Ashwalking Bat