Awoo.

Is There Any Hope For The Archie Sonic Pre-Reboot Cast?

NiTROACTiVE

4 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

I heard somewhere that the Freedom Fighters' original backstories were written by Penders. Hence why they changed in the post 252 era. Who created them originally? 

If they appear again, I suspect they will change again. 

According to the end credits of SatAM, they were created by SEGA.

3 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

According to the end credits of SatAM, they were created by SEGA.

I guess that's why they appeared in Sonic Spinball. Sally also showed up in some merchandise. Cheers! 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Freedom Fighters were created by DiC for SatAM. While DiC owned the 26 episodes produced perpetually, the content of those episodes such as characters, locations, etc. are owned by Sega.

Characters and further details established by pre-reboot Archie writers are owned by their respective creators. Ken introduced Sally's brother Elias and mother Alicia, hence he owns those characters. He doesn't own Sally or King Acorn however as they were made for SatAM.

To show how crazy this can be though: King Acorn was never given a first name during SatAM. Ken introduced one pre-reboot, Maximillian. Since Ken introduced this concept however, when King Acorn was reintroduced post-reboot his name was changed to Nigel to avoid Penders' name.

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

The Freedom Fighters were created by DiC for SatAM. While DiC owned the 26 episodes produced perpetually, the content of those episodes such as characters, locations, etc. are owned by Sega.

Characters and further details established by pre-reboot Archie writers are owned by their respective creators. Ken introduced Sally's brother Elias and mother Alicia, hence he owns those characters. He doesn't own Sally or King Acorn however as they were made for SatAM.

To show how crazy this can be though: King Acorn was never given a first name during SatAM. Ken introduced one pre-reboot, Maximillian. Since Ken introduced this concept however, when King Acorn was reintroduced post-reboot his name was changed to Nigel to avoid Penders' name.

To make things stranger. Ixis appears in the character profile for Naugus but apparently since Penders introduced it in the form of "Ixis Naugus" they couldn't use it in that form so instead the meaning of Ixis had to be changed to an entity Walter Naugus was trying to revive.

Copyright is a weird thing. 

On 2018-05-15 at 1:10 AM, GentlemanX said:

Ian has stated there are legal issues with characters he created for the post-reboot, so if those aren't clear cut that should tell you how even harder it would be for the non-Ian stuff.

This is the first I've heard of this. Got more info?

Anyway, it's not impossible, but highly unlikely. Interestingly, as time goes on, I can see the owners -- even Penders -- becoming more interested in selling.

The problem is that as that same time passes, I can see there also being less interest in buying as well.

I'll bet no one can actually lay claim to who named King Acorn, but the mere possibility it could have been Ken means it gets sanitized. See also Matilda, a whole original character design spear-helmed by Ian, got scrubbed because the mere implication that Mighty had a sister was a relic from Ken's time on the book.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but outside of Elias, Mina and Fiona I really don't care if any of the Pre-Reboot cast ever show up again because honestly very few of them were particularly interesting. 

Three is more than enough man, I bet everyone's got at least three and none would be the same. Shows a wide appeal.

For me: Athair, Julie-Su, Lien-Da (ironically all Echidnas). xD

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

'll bet no one can actually lay claim to who named King Acorn, but the mere possibility it could have been Ken means it gets sanitized. See also Matilda, a whole original character design spear-helmed by Ian, got scrubbed because the mere implication that Mighty had a sister was a relic from Ken's time on the book

And Bunnie's uncle Beaureguard who was mentioned by name in Mecha Madness.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how it originally reads like a stereotypical southern-ism, like there's no actual uncle Beaureguard, and Ian comes in like: "Of course there's an actual Beaureguard!"