Awoo.

Even Yuji Naka didnt want a cutesy funny Sonic

Marco9966

7 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Firstly, Lost Hex is an alien world, so you could argue that in itself is a bizarr...ity.

I also don’t see how 2D bits in Unleashed are a capitulation to Classic fans. I imagine they were done because building entirely 3D levels for the boost gameplay is an enormous drain on resources. Sonic 4 and all that sure, but none of that actually listened to what Classic fans wanted and in fact had more to do with Modern in the end (Modern design, Rush engine, etc). In fact, the game was supposed to be “Sonic DL” or “Sonic the Portable” going off PSN listings and ingame textures - it was probably intended as a more Sonic Advance styled affair until marketing got in the way.

Tax’s work isn’t the only reason, but it’s a fairly large part.

I don’t expect Adventure fans to rock up with SA3 made, but neither did Taxman. He developed the Retro Engine over the course of 5-10 years, remade a single level from CD, pitched it to SEGA, and got hired. Something comparable would be someone making an SA engine, remaking Emerald Coast satisfactorily, and pitching that to SEGA.

If Lost Hex’s... insanity is justified, so is the Black Arms biotech, realistic cities, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

If Lost Hex’s... insanity is justified, so is the Black Arms biotech, realistic cities, etc. 

I've never heard a complaint about Press Garden Zone. And it might be the most absurd in the series.

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

I've never heard a complaint about Press Garden Zone.

It, like Music Plant, is blatantly manmade. Notice the towers in the background of Music Plant, someone once contrasted it with Dessert Ruins.

EDIT: Here it is:

839617DA-4A28-494E-AE28-CC7B3DF8271D.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

...I didn't say they weren't. Realistic cities have been a thing since Spring Yard and Star Light, just done in a way that's congruent with Sonic's design and gameplay (unlike something such as say, Crisis City, which is just bleak). And the Black Arms weapons generally look daft enough that they're essentially no different to the Wispons (whereas the sight of Shadow carrying around an AK-47 is just... daft). 

22 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

...I didn't say they weren't. Realistic cities have been a thing since Spring Yard and Star Light, just done in a way that's congruent with Sonic's design and gameplay (unlike something such as say, Crisis City, which is just bleak). And the Black Arms weapons generally look daft enough that they're essentially no different to the Wispons (whereas the sight of Shadow carrying around an AK-47 is just... daft). 

Crisis City was justified due to Iblis. 

21 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Iblis wasn't justified.

Then Angel Island forest fire wasn't either.

The fire in AIZ wasn't the product of some big dumb unfitting monster.

It was a product of robots built by the series' main antagonist, a character who has been in the series since day 1.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

The fire in AIZ wasn't the product of some big dumb unfitting monster.

It was a product of robots built by the series' main antagonist, a character who has been in the series since day 1.

Both are dark and threatening issues, I don't see why one is more justified than the other.

I'm not sure what more I can say if you don't understand that context matters.

• Thumbs Up 7

Mythological beings are an important part of Sonic, they represent mystery and something bigger and mythical than the main character. Something beyond their understanding of the world that they have to understand and overcome.

Think Chaos, Ifrit or Dark Gaia too.

And on the lighter side we have Chip and Tikal, and Lumina.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Mythological beings are an important part of Sonic, they represent mystery and something bigger and mythical than the main character. Something beyond their understanding of the world that they have to understand and overcome.

Think Chaos, Ifrit or Dark Gaia too.

And on the lighter side we have Chip and Tikal, and Lumina.

Iblis isn’t that. He’s a random science experiment gone wrong by a random character, that then randomly shows up in the future so that Silver can get tricked. His original form is a god, but it’s a god with practically no relevance to Sonic itself - at least with Chaos, he was tied to Angel Island and the Chao and the Chaos Emeralds and all that. He felt more like a part of the Universe.

This isn’t surprising though, since 06 was basically asking to be a soft reboot of sorts. The fact it makes no damn sense is just congruent with the rest of 06. And given 06 isn’t even really canon, it doesn’t even serve to build Sonic’s world, either.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Iblis isn’t that. He’s a random science experiment gone wrong by a random character, that then randomly shows up in the future so that Silver can get tricked. His original form is a god, but it’s a god with practically no relevance to Sonic itself - at least with Chaos, he was tied to Angel Island and the Chao and the Chaos Emeralds and all that. He felt more like a part of the Universe.

This isn’t surprising though, since 06 was basically asking to be a soft reboot of sorts. The fact it makes no damn sense is just congruent with the rest of 06. And given 06 isn’t even really canon, it doesn’t even serve to build Sonic’s world, either.

Zavok and company are random weirdo aliens with no ties to the rest of the series, either.

4 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Yeah I agree Sonic 06 was very clunky, giving overrealistic human designs, and a bestial romance, and a storyline that's gonna be erased... Dark Gaia has more relevance then Iblis.

But like Miragnarok said, I'd take that over any punk Zeti textured with Microsoft Paint that's trying too hard to be the Joker!

• Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They mostly just represent something that needs to be punched harder than most enemies, actually. But even if we allow for "mythological" beings that doesn't mean any mythological being is automatically justified. None of Iblis' designs look like they belong in a Sonic game, it has no identifiable personality, and it's not connected to anything outside of '06 so it adds nothing to the series' (as much as I loathe the word) lore. It's just a big dumb ugly monster to explain a big dumb ugly apocalypse.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

They mostly just represent something that needs to be punched harder than most enemies, actually. But even if we allow for "mythological" beings that doesn't mean any mythological being is automatically justified. None of Iblis' designs look like they belong in a Sonic game, it has no identifiable personality, and it's not connected to anything outside of '06 so it adds nothing to the series' (as much as I loathe the word) lore. It's just a big dumb ugly monster to explain a big dumb ugly apocalypse.

Still better than the Deadly Six.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not due to any actual merits, of course, only because it better matches what you want the series to be.

You could easily choose neither, you know.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Zavok and company are random weirdo aliens with no ties to the rest of the series, either.

That is literally one of the biggest complaints with regard to Lost World.

That being said, even though I’m not fond of their design - at least they have it. That’s already more going for them than Iblis, who’s just a blob of fire textures and some rock. Even Chaos, a literal blob of water, had at least some defining anatomy I could recall - Iblis just blurs together. 

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not due to any actual merits, of course, only because it better matches what you want the series to be.

You could easily choose neither, you know.

That shows how low SEGA sinked low with Sonic Lost World

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

That being said, even though I’m not fond of their design - at least they have it. That’s already more going for them than Iblis, who’s just a blob of fire textures and some rock. Even Chaos, a literal blob of water, had at least some defining anatomy I could recall - Iblis just blurs together. 

Still better than the Zetis textured with Microsoft Paint and try hard to be Spider-Man villains.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

That shows how low SEGA sinked low with Sonic Lost World

Not even a fraction as low as '06.

Just now, Diogenes said:

Not even a fraction as low as '06.

No, '06 is 1000 % better than Lost World.

Lost World lacks speed, lacks graphics, lacks good writing, lacks consistent characterization (what the hell is up with Tails and Eggman??).

Looks like a PS1 game.

At least Sonic 0'6 TRIED to celebrate Sonic's legacy, it was ambitious, it had heart.

• Fist Bump 1

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Lost World lacks speed, lacks graphics, lacks good writing, lacks consistent characterization (what the hell is up with Tails and Eggman??).

Looks like a PS1 game.

At least Sonic 0'6 TRIED to celebrate Sonic's legacy, it was ambitious, it had heart.

I wouldn´t start with defending ´06 that much.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Still better than the Zetis textured with Microsoft Paint

You are aware that the vast majority of characters in this series are made up of bright solid colors, right?

And if you're seriously going to fanboy over '06 of all things, honestly, I'm wasting my time trying to convince you of anything.

• Thumbs Up 4

Why though? What makes Lost World better?

I know Sonic 06 was a failure, but at least it tried.

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Looks like a PS1 game.

06 lacks everything Lost World supposedly lacks and then some. It’s buggy as hell, the loading times are a disgrace, the controls are twitchy, collision is atrocious (wallrunning is down to luck), and I could very easily go on. It outright spat in the face of Sonic’s legacy.

I can’t believe it’s 2018 and I have to explain why 06 is reviled. I didn’t even like Lost World but it’s far ahead of 06.

• Thumbs Up 2