Awoo.

Even Yuji Naka didnt want a cutesy funny Sonic

Marco9966

It was in the Sonic screensaver (which came with S&K Collection for the PC in the US and Europe) and Sonic Jam, along with a number of other fairly cutesy images. Not the most mainstream of material but not something totally unknown, either. Not that "the perception of the character by children living in the west in the 90s" makes up the totality of classic Sonic's identity in the first place.

Really the point is that classic Sonic was always both. He's able to appeal to fans of both cute and cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

A good number of those are just...unnaturally cute for Sonic though.

It's not bad, but is pretty jarring.

Just look at Sonic's face here:

image.png.ec447681d626f60b602ceb26f83a2518.png

This doesn't scream the cool blue dude with an attitude...

Can you picture this guy getting angry?

15 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

When the characters win the GP? I guess...when Amy wins.

None of the Sonic Drift artwork could be described as cutesy besides Amy's.

image.png.bb6b4594df311669b0beb262ecd2defb.pngJust look at her.

Sonic Jam is stuffed with entirely cute Sonic art...no attitude at all. The anti 'tude game.

Ah yes, Sonic being the cool big brother. So sugar.

11 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not that "the perception of the character by children living in the west in the 90s" makes up the totality of classic Sonic's identity in the first place.

Lies! It totally does. 😛

/half-joking

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Can you picture this guy getting angry?

Yeah...because it's Sonic and we've seen him get angry. It's not like his design is super drastically different here.

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

Yeah...because it's Sonic and we've seen him get angry. It's not like his design is super drastically different here.

I meant...being arrogant and cocky.

That was actually a legit mistake on my part.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

WKlQIQc.png?1

So. Much. 'tude.

There are so, so many more common interpretations of classic sonic as a little blue hedgehog with a smirk and an attitude that I'm frankly surprised you would bother with this. This is very very obscure by comparison and was not a heavy part of marketing the character. 

Like I said above, he's both. I chose to use that picture because it's one of the most unambiguously "cutesy" pieces of classic Sonic artwork which should be enough to make it clear that this is not some new phenomenon that runs counter to the "real" classic Sonic, but it's not the only instance of Sonic being cute rather than exclusively cool or edgy. A certain amount of cute is baked into his very design, even, given how it's based on classic cartoon characters like Mickey Mouse and Felix the cat, and the interplay between the two aspects of the character is one of the reasons he's so appealing.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

I meant...being arrogant and cocky.

That was actually a legit mistake on my part.

Eh, I mean...can you imagine his in-game artwork being arrogant and cocky? Sonic CD and Sonic & Tails 2.

oie_2245758IqDqfr2W.png.8acb42a34f37035c1cee37c0b1a56e25.png oie_224567AfQwr2lt.png.4b582dc2c250aef598ef966ab5bb65bd.png

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

Eh, I mean...can you imagine his in-game artwork being arrogant and cocky? Sonic CD and Sonic & Tails 2.

Yes, I can imagine that. Avoiding the Western art.

image.png.693292aae5fbc1d789e988d37703e7d3.pngimage.png.5578c922773fa3bda6fcaf1410431067.png

If not cocky, just general confidence. Sonic 2 has may favorite depictions of Classic Sonic.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Yes, I can imagine that. Avoiding the Western art.

image.png.693292aae5fbc1d789e988d37703e7d3.pngimage.png.5578c922773fa3bda6fcaf1410431067.png

If not cocky, just general confidence. Sonic 2 has may favorite depictions of Classic Sonic.

This is such a cool design. I've seen it before but it's one I forget about often. 

Ugh...it makes me dream about the ONE 3D game I want that would fully embrace that design. Just once, nail sonic the way he was originally and put him in an awesome expansive 3D game that has the right feel. I swear I'd never complain about anything in this franchise again. Pinky swear.

6 hours ago, MainJP said:

His in-game art? Sure.

300px-SonictheHedgehog_greenhillzone.png

s1-stages-endingimg6.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYfxuKzl42kbPm6PlG5Un

In-game Sonic is pretty great.

Yes, Sonic can be both. But it should be rare for the series to go to extremes in terms of saccharine or apocalyptic elements, as we’ve seen in certain games. Night Palace was better than Lava Mountain in this regard.

15 hours ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

This is such a cool design. I've seen it before but it's one I forget about often. 

Ugh...it makes me dream about the ONE 3D game I want that would fully embrace that design. Just once, nail sonic the way he was originally and put him in an awesome expansive 3D game that has the right feel. I swear I'd never complain about anything in this franchise again. Pinky swear.

No, Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic should be treated as completely different characters mainly because the fans of the two are so different in what they want that it's for the best for a Hard Divide to happen

Just now, ComeAsYouAre said:

No, Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic should be treated as completely different characters mainly because the fans of the two are so different in what they want that it's for the best for a Hard Divide to happen

With that said, I do think it'll be a good idea to have Modern gain some more ground in being different again.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:34 AM, Miragnarok said:

The nature-technology contrast

Has the nature vs technology bit ever been relevant to the games?  If that's a theme they were going for, they did a poor job conveying it.

Sonic’s inability to swim

A gameplay element that doesn't add anything story-wise.

Even Scrap Brain seems to be where the Death Egg was being built. 

That's head-canon stuff.  Nothing implies that at all.

1 hour ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

Has the nature vs technology bit ever been relevant to the games?

To varying extents. The main conflict of the series is an animal, living in nature, saving other animals, from a human, making robots and machines, in pollution-belching factories. And CD in particular shows us technology working in concert with nature as a "good future" vs a dark and decaying hyper-industrialized "bad future".

It's fallen more and more into the background over time and eventually just became "superheroes who happen to be animals, vs a mad scientist who happens to use robots and sometimes monsters" though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

27 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Do The Emeralds and overall magic items Count as "Nature"?

They are a natural resource that eggman and other malicious characters try to exploit, so I would say yes

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman's use of the Chaos Emeralds are basically a fruit-flavored hard candy symbolic equivalent to the exploitation of natural resources.

42 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Do The Emeralds and overall magic items Count as "Nature"?

Yeah, sure, maybe. Magic vs Technology is also a thing.