Awoo.

Is the idea of Shadow getting his own game(done right) possible?

ShadowSJG

Look, we're all aware of the trainwreck that is Shadow the Hedgehog but honestly, the idea of Shadow having his own game is still a good idea. Do you think it's possible we could see another attempt. I mean, we got Sonic Mania, another classic styled game which I am sure many of us were never expecting to see again along with Mighty and Ray being playable, which is even more unexpected. So, do you think Shadow could get  another chance?

Well as far as I recall his DLC in forces was well recieved by most fans, so I guess it’s possible. More than the other characters anyway considering he’s just a clone of sonic.

yeah

Make a short, well done character action game with shadow in it. Man...if only sega knew a studio... who totally could do that. 

:thinking:

Eh, I'd rather see another Tails or Knuckles spinoff title. I mean, at least they play DIFFERENTLY from Sonic, while Shadow is an exact copy.

I mean, the only reason I would PREFER a spinoff like this, is if it had either a whole new gameplay style or if it brought back Adventure's gameplay style, even if in spinoff form. 

In terms of gameplay, it would potentially be relatively easy to make a new Shadow game because he doesn't actually need to play particularly differently from Sonic.  You could make a game in which he plays very differently, but it seems like that would be more a function of going fully in-depth with spin-off alternate gameplay, which is something you could do with literally any character, including Sonic himself.  So it seems to me that a new Shadow game would actually live or die on its story and aesthetics, which are the sorts of things I suspect Shadow fans are more concerned with anyway (since I assume that his gameplay has differed in more or less every one of his appearances); and they would need a very good writer and a development team given a fair amount of leeway in order to pull that off well without it falling into the same errors as the original Shadow spin-off and indeed the main series of recent years.  There's also a question of how much the public actually wants a new Shadow game or what it represents.

In theory? Sure , just make good game, slap Shadow as main hero, done. Preferably pick something ala Megaman X rather than Cooking Mama.

Will Sega ever do it? I think first they would have  to make a successful main Sonic game (or movie) where Shadow plays a bigger role. So you know, not impossible, but don't hold you breath either.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

In theory? Sure , just make good game, slap Shadow as main hero, done. Preferably pick something ala Megaman X rather than Cooking Mama.

Will Sega ever do it? I think first they would have  to make a successful main Sonic game (or movie) where Shadow plays a bigger role. So you know, not impossible, but don't hold you breath either.

So the usual answer of

"if sega can do several competent things in succession "

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well as far as I recall his DLC in forces was well recieved by most fans, so I guess it’s possible. More than the other characters anyway considering he’s just a clone of sonic.

I reeeaaally don't think that being a clone of Sonic is a particular merit to be proud of, since esentially  that would be like piggy back riding on the success of Sonic's gameplay... Not to mention, it would be both a waste of resources spent on a redundant character as well as how the incentive to replay the game as such character would be non-existant beyond the fanservice of seeing that character be playable, given how it would not do anything that Sonic doesn't already.

Realistically speaking, no, I don't think they'd ever revisit the idea of Shadow having his own game.

Personally though, I'd love to see that happen - he's one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

10 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I reeeaaally don't think that being a clone of Sonic is a particular merit to be proud of, since esentially  that would be like piggy back riding on the success of Sonic's gameplay... Not to mention, it would be both a waste of resources spent on a redundant character as well as how the incentive to replay the game as such character would be non-existant beyond the fanservice of seeing that character be playable, given how it would not do anything that Sonic doesn't already.

I never was saying it was something to be proud of. I said he probably would be the most likely out of the Sonic cast outside Sonic since he’d be easy given his gameplay is more or less Sonic, and sega loves easy money.

I'm sure it's possible to make a good game starring Shadow, but I don't think that's what the series needs right now. He's past the height of his popularity, his name's still stained from his first game, and the series as a whole is still not in a stable or respectable place. Another Shadow spinoff would likely only appeal to people who are already big fans of Shadow; anyone else is going to have multiple reasons to be wary of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

No Shadow game until I get my "Chaotix Noire" and "Eggman's Dozen" games dammit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Given the way SEGA approaches Sonic these days, I would be very surprised if we ever see a main series title that isn't solely spearheaded by Sonic and Sonic alone. SEGA seem to have reacted to the extreme opposite of a vocal minority who hate all Sonic characters bar Sonic and don't like to make any of his friends playable any more.

This, couples with the negative panning Shadow the Hedgehog received (personally, I really enjoyed it!), and the fact that Shadow's time in the sun has kind of passed, I would be very, very surprised if he got his own game again.

He should definitely be DLC/skins in Sonic titles though, but then so should Metal Sonic.

If it were to be done, though, I'd ditch the gun play and vehicles of Shadow but retain the darker elements. Have it be a really fast-paced, aggressive action experience, allowing Shadow to tear through stages and enemies. He should build up a boost meter by collecting Rings and a Chaos meter by defeating enemies. You could assign different Chaos powers (Chaos Spear for a ranges attack, Chaos Control to teleport across vast distances, Chaos Blast to destroy nearby enemies) that could by levelled up like in Sonic Unleashed.

Not sure on the plot but I'd like to see Rouge and Omega thrown in to break up the fast-paced action with a bit of stealth/hunting and mindless blasting. I wouldn't want to see any aliens or cheap Shadow knock-offs, but they should bring in a new threat that is worthy of going up against Shadow's greater abilities but also use Eggman and his robots as a fellow hinderence.

I also say no to another sghadow game, there are a billion other characters in the sonic franchise.

I know i want a new game with Tails after the crap they did to his character in forces.

2 hours ago, SKSpawn said:

He should definitely be DLC/skins in Sonic titles though, but then so should Metal Sonic.

Metal Sonic can wait in the back of the line. That hunk of junk never set foot on the SEGA Genesis. Nobody talked about him on playgrounds in the '90s.

He was a mere footnote in the classic era, not comparable to what Shadow was in Dreamcast days.

Honestly I think a Open World Sandbox game where Shadow gets missions from GUN could work. 

In theory? A Shadow game seems easy enough. In practice however? Narratively, the first Shadow game, while most agreed upon as bad - did sort of wrap up Shadow's ongoing character arc at the time. Another Shadow centric game wouldn't make much waves in terms of interesting plot by focusing on Shadow alone, considering that he's already moved on from his past and put all of the ugliness that came with it (The ARK Incident, Hostility towards GUN, the Black Arms) behind him.

Gameplay wise? Eh, sure. Shadow's always been somewhat of a Sonic gameplay clone, so it should be no real problem to put something like that together structurally. As for a story to hold it together though? I just can't see there being a point.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I think a Open World Sandbox game where Shadow gets missions from GUN could work. 

Not everything is good about open world sandboxes though, it could give rise to laziness about level layout.

20 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Metal Sonic can wait in the back of the line. That hunk of junk never set foot on the SEGA Genesis. Nobody talked about him on playgrounds in the '90s.

He was a mere footnote in the classic era, not comparable to what Shadow was in Dreamcast days.

Really? Nobody? Surely those who played Sonic CD would have talked about him? Shadow may have had more impact thanks to Sonic Adventure 2, but Metal was a huge part of '90's Sonic fandom.

How about the emphasis he got as Metallix in Sonic the Comic? I didn't know anyone who had a Mega-CD, but I talked to loads of people about those comics and storylines in the '90's. That's not to mention Archie readers in the US and Metal's inclusions in Sonic the Fighters, the Drift titles, and many other games. Metal was in more games in one form or other (Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic ensured fans were aware of a metal version of Sonic) way more than Shadow ever was after his introduction, so I think you're exaggerating a bit by downplaying Metal's significance. He's certainly less controversial and receives more praise than Shadow, for one thing, and is as much a staple of the classic games as Amy Rose.

55 minutes ago, SKSpawn said:

Really? Nobody? Surely those who played Sonic CD would have talked about him? Shadow may have had more impact thanks to Sonic Adventure 2, but Metal was a huge part of '90's Sonic fandom.

How about the emphasis he got as Metallix in Sonic the Comic? I didn't know anyone who had a Mega-CD, but I talked to loads of people about those comics and storylines in the '90's. That's not to mention Archie readers in the US and Metal's inclusions in Sonic the Fighters, the Drift titles, and many other games. Metal was in more games in one form or other (Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic ensured fans were aware of a metal version of Sonic) way more than Shadow ever was after his introduction, so I think you're exaggerating a bit by downplaying Metal's significance. He's certainly less controversial and receives more praise than Shadow, for one thing, and is as much a staple of the classic games as Amy Rose.

While I do agree that Archie and other side titles did emphasize Metal to quite some degree (let's not forget the Sonic OVA for that matter) I do have to chime in...
I don't think very many kids back in the 90's played Sonic CD, lol.

4 hours ago, SKSpawn said:

How about the emphasis he got as Metallix in Sonic the Comic? I didn't know anyone who had a Mega-CD, but I talked to loads of people about those comics and storylines in the '90's. That's not to mention Archie readers in the US and Metal's inclusions in Sonic the Fighters, the Drift titles, and many other games. Metal was in more games in one form or other (Silver Sonic and Mecha Sonic ensured fans were aware of a metal version of Sonic) way more than Shadow ever was after his introduction, so I think you're exaggerating a bit by downplaying Metal's significance. He's certainly less controversial and receives more praise than Shadow, for one thing, and is as much a staple of the classic games as Amy Rose.

Yes, I hear he was big in the comic books. That's how you heard about him, as you say. Princess Sally was also big in the comic books.

Sonic the Fighters? Might as well have not existed.

Sonic Drift? A game gear racing spin-off. And if you had a game gear, you probably also had games with Robo-Sonic in them.

Sonic CD? None of your friends had it, as you say. I had a friend who had it (that's how I learned about "Sally"), and sure there was a robot Sonic in it.  But kids on the playground weren't talking about him. Maybe they talked about those other robots in the Genesis games, but that's different.

But most importantly? There was no clamor to play as a robot Sonic. Nothing on the scale of wanting to play as Knuckles or, eventually, as Shadow.

I think his popularity spiked when the OVA came out and SA1 had him as a Sonic clone. But he was never on levels of Shadow's popularity.

If I'm not mistaken actually, too, Sonic Drift (the first one) didn't actually come out in North America, right? Only Europe and Japan.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, ShadowSJG said:

So, do you think Shadow could get  another chance?

Nope. That ship has sailed, his 15 minutes of fame is over now that his story arc is closed and has since been put on the back burner with the rest of the characters. There is pretty much no reason anymore to give him his own game, as he only got his own game to tell his "epic" story in the first place.

Plus, this is not the SEGA/Sonic Team from 13 years ago that was willing to experiment. And looking at Shadow's portrayal in every game after Heroes, I don't even want SEGA to try it as it would just be a shit show again.

51 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Nope. That ship has sailed, his 15 minutes of fame is over now that his story arc is closed and has since been put on the back burner with the rest of the characters. There is pretty much no reason anymore to give him his own game, as he only got his own game to tell his "epic" story in the first place.

Plus, this is not the SEGA/Sonic Team from 13 years ago that was willing to experiment. And looking at Shadow's portrayal in every game after Heroes, I don't even want SEGA to try it as it would just be a shit show again.

They could just push him , and any other character they wanted to do a game for again. 

They could also give him new thing to do. You know people can have new stories and adventures to go on right? Because under your logic, sonic should have ended at one. And that would have sucked, because sonic one ain't that good. 

Also, shadow's best portrayal comes after heroes... so what are you talking about? Also they could just tell a better story. 

Now the willing to experiment thing is an actual point. If you don't like shadow or don't think he should have a game, that's fine. Nothing but one thing you said is an actual reason backed by... reasoning. 15 minutes of fame is a meaningless metirc for two reasons, one he's still more popular than everyone else. But two, you can just push a character again. Some of my favorite comic book characters aren't characters that didn't hit untill several, sometimes decades of pushes later. Nothing is actually stoping them from trying again. 

Now sega not wanting to experiment , and not wanting to spend time and money on games is an actual point that you can like, point to proof of. The rest of it seems like thinly veiled, " well I don't like shadow" , which is fine. But that's all you had to say.