Awoo.

Is the idea of Shadow getting his own game(done right) possible?

ShadowSJG

8 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

"Many good stories" is also your opinion. Because I thought half of them were utter trash. And a variety of gamestyles means little if they entail shite like fishing. I also don't see the Wisps as an attempt to remove Sonic's friends, but rather just a means of incorporating some standardised power-ups like many other platformers. 

Iizuka wanted to use the wisps to get rid of Sonic's friends because of some complaints about Sonic's "shitty friends" (seriously how can any fan say that).

And fishing, it takes only 15 minutes to finish the whole campaign, just follow the tutorial in the menu and it's easy as day. Consider it a break between the fast stages. Big likes to chill out after all.

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Iizuka wanted to use the wisps to get rid of Sonic's friends because of some complaints about Sonic's "shitty friends" (seriously how can any fan say that).

Iizuka is also a reptilian Illuminati putting chemtrails in the water supply.

• Chuckle 5

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Got a source on that, mate? Or is that your eisegetical take on the situation. I really hate that I need to emphasize that there's not a conspiracy to remove the extended cast, considering they've consistently appeared in most major Sonic releases (including the DS version of Colors, whether their presence made sense or not) so while you can certainly voice concerns about Sonic's technicolor posse not being playable (if you wanna ignore the mobile games and Mania, anyway), you definitely don't have a solid foundation for their absolute removal. It's nonsense.  

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

And fishing it takes only 15 minutes to finish the whole campaign, just follow the tutorial in the menu and it's easy as day. Consider it a break between the fast stages. Big likes to chill out after all.

Big is bae but you just seriously defended the worst part of Adventure. Sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Just now, Diogenes said:

Iizuka is also a reptilian Illuminati putting chemtrails in the water supply.

I forgot how much I missed you.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I've looked it up, and fair play - you're actually right, he did say that.

"Essentially the objective is to empower Sonic with different abilities so that, rather than bringing in any other characters, now we can essentially have different types of gameplay, but not only that, but by empowering Sonic with the different colour powers."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/10/11/sonic-team-talks-sonic-colours

But you also kind of left out like, any of the context.

Colours was still coming off the back of games that were pretty negatively received outside (and even inside the fanbase in some cases), 06 and Unleashed. Games that were panned for things such as switching to the Werehog, or the clunky gameplay of Silver. And SEGA has more than just the fans to cater to - so going Solo Sonica in response to the very real annoyance towards the alternative character gameplay of games past made some amount of sense at the time as Sonic was still finding his footing again, which also relates to why I think Colours was received more positively at launch than it is now - context. The wisp powers also only entailed short bursts of gameplay that were still relatively congruent with Sonic's status as a platformer, at least compared to something like Big. As such, the position actually makes sense from the perspective of it being originally intended for Colours - but then of course, they ended up in every other game the Colours director has done since. 

And fishing, it takes only 15 minutes to finish the whole campaign, just follow the tutorial in the menu and it's easy as day. Consider it a break between the fast stages. Big likes to chill out after all.

I don't play Sonic games to fish. I don't care that it only takes 15 minutes, it's entirely out of place within Sonic's gameplay philosophy and boring as hell to boot. When the best that can be dragged up about it is "at least it's over quickly," then perhaps it just should've been reconsidered. Amy's gameplay was also a break between the faster stages, and while I don't think they're great they're at least somewhat relevant to what Sonic's about.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I've looked it up, and fair play - you're actually right, he did say that.

Oh shucks, got a link for that?

It certainly isn't the case now, but I'll admit I'm wrong about Iizuka saying that. @Marco9966 (though the man also says Shadow needs an emerald for Chaos Control and the moon just turned around so we can't see the broken side but whaddayagonnado)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Oh shucks, got a link for that?

It certainly isn't the case now, but I'll admit I'm wrong about Iizuka saying that. @Marco9966 (though the man also says Shadow needs an emerald for Chaos Control and the moon just turned around so we can't see the broken side but whaddayagonnado)

Added a source. The point is less that he said it and more that it made sense in the context of Colours' release.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Added a source. The point is less that he said it and more that it made sense in the context of Colours' release.

It does jive with Sonic being the only playable character, which in fairness I did concede to before, but I still think it doesn't really match a conspiracy to "kill off Sonic's friends" as Marco asserted.

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It does jive with Sonic being the only playable character, which in fairness I did concede to before, but I still think it doesn't really match a conspiracy to "kill off Sonic's friends" as Marco asserted.

I did not mean "kill them off" per say, but get rid of them as playable characters.

7 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Putting in alternate styles but changing the skin in which they're executed doesn't really make any sense, if the goal was to address the problem of different gameplay styles cluttering the experience. I don't really think any credit is deserved for this decision. 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Putting in alternate styles but changing the skin in which they're executed doesn't really make any sense, if the goal was to address the problem of different gameplay styles cluttering the experience. I don't really think any credit is deserved for this decision. 

Thing is the Wisps don't really play like any of the alternate styles of old - they're short burst power-ups, not dragged out stage-wide things like treasure hunting or fishing. I feel like that's what the final sentence of the quote is supposed to be getting at, just with a language barrier at play. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I did not mean "kill them off" per say, but get rid of them as playable characters.

Yeah, that playable qualifier is the key word. 

That said, I still have to bring up the mobile games as the consistent exception. I get that they're not mainline entries, but you get to play with Shadow, Rouge, the Chaotix and a bunch of other characters, they even control differently in the Jump games and in Runners/Adventure. 

Not the same, I know, but they're there and available on the largest gaming platforms, so they get a lot of attention with players old and new.

Also Mania.

3 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

That said, I still have to bring up the mobile games as the consistent exception. I get that they're not mainline entries, but you get to play with Shadow, Rouge, the Chaotix and a bunch of other characters, they even control differently in the Jump games and in Runners/Adventure. 

Not the same, I know, but they're there and available on the largest gaming platforms, so they get a lot of attention with players old and new.

That's true, my classmates are not the biggest Sonic fans, but they have the Running games on their phones among other games. So that's a plus!

7 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

Thing is the Wisps don't really play like any of the alternate styles of old - they're short burst power-ups, not dragged out stage-wide things like treasure hunting or fishing. I feel like that's what the final sentence of the quote is supposed to be getting at, just with a language barrier at play. 

I mean, I don't hate the wisp, but they're ultimately padding just like Sonic's friends were. As a long time fan, it feels like a problem hasn't actually been solved and a broad, hollow gesture was put forward instead to make people think a problem has been solved. 

Again, I don't hate them, but I didn't hate the werehog either, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

I mean, I don't hate the wisp, but they're ultimately padding just like Sonic's friends were. As a long time fan, it feels like a problem hasn't actually been solved and a broad, hollow gesture was put forward instead to make people think a problem has been solved. 

Again, I don't hate them, but I didn't hate the werehog either, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like they way they're incorporated into Modern Sonic's gameplay itself at least makes them less of a 'padding' solution compared to the Werehog. Mostly because I feel like they don't really do 'padding' - they're just short-term power ups that can help you reach other areas. I think an example could be say, the Jet Boots from Sonic Chaos - you nick it out of a monitor and it gives Sonic some flight for a short time. That's very similar to the wisps, but a short burst compared to the more drawn out stuff like Werehog that felt nigh-entirely separate from the rest of Unleashed, even if it maintained some of its platformer DNA. 

I suppose you're right in that it doesn't really solve the problem, but I still prefer it compared to something like treasure hunting. I wouldn't exactly be upset if the Wisps vanished from the games going forward but I'm not really begging for their demise either. 

• Thumbs Up 3