Awoo.

One Button Genesis/Mega Drive Gameplay Idea Challenge

Sonic Fan J

So, I’m sure there have been gameplay threads in the past but various conversations about Mania and the original gameplay formula and design concept left me wanting to challenge people to come up with ideas within the confines of the original formula. I know people will want to argue why work with such a limitation when there are countless ways to do anything, but I’m working with a limitation because such a limitation necessitates creativity and inventive thinking. The Sonic Franchise after all was made and became successful working within such confines so while they don’t have to be adhered to, for this challenge the idea is to work with that limitation to see just how expansive and diverse that concept can be.

So the rules for the challenge are as follows:

-The base gameplay of the original game must be used for all characters, e.g.; All characters can run, jump to attack enemies, and roll by pressing down while running. As a result there is no reason to mention this part.

-You must state if you are including additional abilities such as Spin Dash, Super Peel Out, Shield Abilities, etc.

-You must stick to the single button command input of the original Genesis/Mega Drive Games (this is regardless of your personal opinion of the limitation, and if you cannot respect this rule please do not patronize those participating in the challenge).

-You are free to use any character from any official Sonic media (games, shows, comics, etc.)

That’s pretty much it. If you don’t feel like coming up with any suggestions or ideas yourself feel free to comment on the posted ideas and talk about which ones you like/dislike. If you’d like, you’re welcome to even go so far as to compile combinations of other users ideas that you like and think would work out in conjunction with each other. Further, if you are partaking, feel free to include why you choose the movesets and abilities that you do if you like, or ask someone else why they chose what they did if they didn’t explain. This is a forum after all so feel free to ask questions and discuss.

So then, with the challenge and rules out of the way I’ll go ahead and start.

For my examples I’ll be using Sonic 3&K as my base so Spin Dash is enabled and Sonic will have Shield Abilities.

Sonic 

With Sonic as the main character and his theme being movement and speed, plus his ability to use Shield Abilities, the actions that I would give Sonic are semi-automated but have the basic idea of keeping Sonic in motion as much as possible.

Alternate Movement 1 - Wall Jump: Self explanatory but as it usually appears, stick to a wall momentarily and press jump again to jump off with a slight gain of height.

Alternate Movement 2 - Climb Over: Automatically pulls himself onto ledges just above him while jumping with momentum in check if player is holding in direction of ledge.

Tails

Not really changing anything with Tails but just to cover him and what little I would change...

Alternate Movement 1 - Flight: Same as it's ever been but pressing down ends the flight until the next jump.

Alternate Movement 2 - Swim: Same as it always has been but with Sonic 4 speed and animation

Knuckles

I would personally remove Knuckles' glide and focus solely on his climbing so I won't cover his glide here.

Alternate Movement 1 - Wall/Ceiling Traverse: Knuckles sticks to walls and ceilings that he jumps against if the player is pressing against them and can then freely travel along them using his spiked knuckles a la Stryder.

Alternate Movement 2 - Climbing Spin Dash: If Spin Dash is in the base moveset then Knuckles can activate on walls and ceilings but can not cling to wall or ceiling again without first jumping again.

Amy w/hammer

Making use of Amy's hammer and keeping things simple while emphasizing that a hammer is a weapon (yes, even cute squeaky toys - just look at most Eggman Robots) these are more action changes than movement types.

Alternate Action 1 - Hammer Jump: When pressing Jump Amy does not perform a normal spin jump but smashes her hammer into the ground to launch herself giving her the greatest jumping height of any character and striking objects in front of her like springs (which would react accordingly), monitors, and enemies.

Alternate Action 2 - Hammer Attack: Tapping Jump while jumping will make Amy spin her hammer increasing her attack range and bounce height off of enemies and monitors with springs acting as above. 

Alternate Action 3 - Hammer Twirl: Holding Jump while jumping will make Amy spin her hammer like a top and float slowly down striking anything on either side of her with increased bounce back. 

Alternate Action 4 - Hammer Spin: If giving Sonic the Super Peel Out, hold up and tap jump to make Amy spin her hammer in a stationary attack. As long as D-pad is not released to neutral, additional taps will make Amy continue to perform Hammer Spin attacks even while moving though doing so will cause her to lose friction. turns into Hammer Twirl if travelling off of ledge. Hammer Spin attacks can not be executed without performing wind up if D-Pad is released to neutral. 

Amy w/o hammer

As the outlier that I am who wants to see how Amy can be approached without her hammer as well here are two alternate movement sets with one being based on ideas I like and the other being my own unusual idea that takes advantage of Amy’s animations from the classic games.

Alternate Movement Set A 1 - Triple Jump: As its name implies, Amy is able to take a second, then third jump before landing after an initial jump. She compromises her ability to attack while jumping once she performs the first additional jump action.

Alternate Movement Set A 2 - Swim: While underwater pressing jump again after jumping will make Amy swim. Continuous taps of the jump button will make Amy swim in the pressed d-pad direction with faster tapping resulting in greater speed.

Alternate Movement/Action Set B 1 - Grab: While jumping pressing jump again will make Amy attempt to grab a nearby enemy. Successfully execution will result in Amy clinging onto the enemy until the player jumps off. The enemy is unaffected by Amy’s grab and effectively becomes an impromptu platform.

Blaze

Since I see Blaze as being built around her fire powers and charging and releasing her flames the move set I have in mind for her revolves around that with the Drop Dash serving as my base of inspiration.

Alternate Movement/Action 1 - Flame Float/Charge: Press and hold jump during a jump to make Blaze slow her descent by charging her flames. Blaze can only damage enemies beneath her while performing this action. Release jump to drop.

Alternate Movement/Action 2 - Burst Dash: During Flame Float/Charge hold a direction on the d-pad and release jump. Blaze will fire off like a rocket in the held direction.

Alternate Movement/Action 3 - Blazing Sprint: Holding jump during Flame Float/Charge until Blaze touches the ground results in her sprinting forward at top speed enveloped in her flames destroying any enemies or monitors in her path. Jumping, taking damage, bouncing off of a bumper or any other object that absorbs instead of transferring momentum, or slowing down ends the Blazing Sprint.

Tangle

Something about Tangle just tickled my fancy in the right and the way she uses her tail felt like a perfect opportunity to add some character to the grappling gameplay introduced by the Avatar.

Alternate Movement/Action 1 - Tail Grab/Tether: While jumping, press jump near an enemy to latch onto it with Tangle’s tail, tethering her to the enemy and causing her momentum to arc her around the enemy. Against airborne enemies and with enough momentum she can potentially circle around the enemy multiple times. Pressing jump again ends the tether and hurls Tangle through the air relevant to her direction at release and based on sustained momentum through the tether. Touching anything or getting hit during the tether ends the tether.

Alternate Movement/Action 2 - Tail Throw: During Tail Grab/Tether press down to transfer all of Tangle’s momentum to the tethered enemy throwing the enemy away and causing Tangle to drop straight down.

---

So my choice of moves are heavily defined by what type of platforming I feel each character can specialize in. While I included multiple possible movesets for Amy the only one I really feel works best with this cast of characters is the triple jump and swim moveset. To the point though, let me explain the type of platforming I see with Each character.

Sonic: I see Sonic’s platforming style being more based on moving without stopping, as the original idea that gave birth to the rolling gameplay and Sonic himself was had the idea of. To address that I use parkour as a basis for allowing Sonic to scale over ledges that are right above him with minimal player input to aim to allow for continuous movement.

Tails: Tails’ platformer style in my opinion is probably best described as traversing empty space. That may seem counterintuitive to the idea of platforming, but as Tails needs to recharge choosing when to land and when to fly challenges the players in a unique way so I felt no need to change him.

Knuckles: Knuckles I probably made the most changes to compared to his classic iteration, what with removing his glide and all, but I didn’t feel he needed it with Tails already covering empty space platforming. So for Knuckles I focused on his other platforming tool: climbing. If Sonic is continuous movement and Tails is empty space then I see Knuckles as all surface platforming and by expanding his climbing abilities while removing his glide it allows Knuckles to focus on that style of platforming.

Amy: While I provided multiple Amy examples for multiple reasons, the primary platforming style I like for Amy is multi-jumping platforming. As Amy seems to have a reputation for being acrobatic (I wonder where that started) she seems a perfect fit for multi-jump options. I also include swimming in a different way from Tails to make the player consider how they play both above and below water.

Blaze: If Sonic is about continuous movement then Blaze is about continuous speed. As Blaze debuted alongside the boost concept the idea of providing her with a playstyle that I derive from the Drop Dash and the idea of multi-direction aerial Spin Dashing felt like a natural strength. By using her hover as a charge as well it allows skilled players to aim for maximum speed in the air while choosing their own direction as well.

Tangle: While one of my provided movesets for Amy includes an option for enemy interaction platforming, using Tangle and her tail allows for a more balanced yet potentially fast paced grappling hook that turns enemies into additional platforms. While I could have just used the Avatar I just happen to prefer Tangle and not having the anthropomorphic characters use tools so her ever diverse tail just works out great for me.

Here is how I would lay the control scheme for Amy Rose using only one button, which I will call "Advance Plus Amy".

*Jump: press A

*Hammer attack: press A while in midair. (can be performed more than one time while being airborne and has a superior range when compared to the spindash, but the attack is not as fast)

*Hammer whilr: press down + A while airborne. (this makes Amy drop vertically, and once she hits her target, she'll bounce back a bit higher each time she connects, similar to the S3&Amy hack by E-122 Psi)

*Hammer-copter: press up + A while airborne. (Amy spins her hammer, gainng some extra horizontal space, similar to when you left the jump button pressed in Sonic Heroes)

*Super spring: hit a spring with a hammer attack (this will cause Amy to be propelled like a rocket, much faster and higher than if she were to just jump or touch the spring like the other characters)

*Hammer jump: press up + A (Amy hits the ground with her hammer, launching herself higher than with a normal jump, but during this action she can't perform any attacks and is vulnerable, so use it carefully)

*Amy-dash: press down + A (similar to Sonic Advance 3 when paired with Knuckles or the S2 pink edition and S3&Amy hacks where Amy charges her run, but is still vulnerable if she hits an enemy)

*Giant-steps: press forward twice.(ideal for jumping between platforms or start building momentum on short slopes as well as to climp very inclined upward slopes that the other characters just can't climb with a spindash)

*Head slide: press down when Amy reaches full running speed. (you can tell she reached to speed because her hammer shows on her hand like in Advance 1. Also this move allows Amy to go through tight spaces that others can't as well as successfully attack other characters who use a spindash or are charging it, like Metal Sonic or Mecha Knuckles)

*Slide: press down while running down a slope. (Amy slides on her butt, similar to Mario, gaining speed but will get hurt and lose rings if she hits an enemy)

There you go. Only move that is lost is the ground hammer attack.

Personally, while I agree that limitations can encourage creativity, I also would argue that there is a point when that limitation becomes a restriction that prevents the introduction of more moves or have the mapped in a more accessible control scheme. For example Knuckles, who when climbing will jump off if you press the only available button. Imagine the other moves he could have with the addition of a second one, like the ability to punch the wall that he is climbing, either to open paths where the wall is cracked, or to cause enemies that are also atached to the wall to be knocked off, clearing the path for Knuckles to keep climbing up.

The only problem with your Knuckles example is that it follows up your Amy moveset which relies on a massive amount of directional inputs, which would solve the Knuckles problem easily. How I would handle it though would be even simpler. Just press the d-pad towards the wall and Knuckles punches it dislodging enemies and opening paths. The only reason though I would even further not worry about it too much though is because the Sonic franchise was built around movement so enemy placement should be more of an obstacle that effects how you move than makes you question how to attack them.

Still though, thanks for your participation and sharing your ideas ^_^ though you did fail the challenge part of the thread

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

-The base gameplay of the original game must be used for all characters, e.g.; All characters can run, jump to attack enemies, and roll by pressing down while running. As a result there is no reason to mention this part.

-You must state if you are including additional abilities such as Spin Dash, Super Peel Out, Shield Abilities, etc.

-You must stick to the single button command input of the original Genesis/Mega Drive Games (this is regardless of your personal opinion of the limitation, and if you cannot respect this rule please do not patronize those participating in the challenge).

-You are free to use any character from any official Sonic media (games, shows, comics, etc.)

34 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

*Head slide: press down when Amy reaches full running speed. (you can tell she reached to speed because her hammer shows on her hand like in Advance 1. Also this move allows Amy to go through tight spaces that others can't as well as successfully attack other characters who use a spindash or are charging it, like Metal Sonic or Mecha Knuckles)

*Slide: press down while running down a slope. (Amy slides on her butt, similar to Mario, gaining speed but will get hurt and lose rings if she hits an enemy)

In my eyes I feel if they must keep the one button layout for future classic-esque titles the characters movesets shouldn’t be cluttered with 3 or more moves. I’d make it so characters only had 1 or 2 unique abilities to keep things from becoming too complex. Part of the beauty of the one button simplicity is that it’s so easy for anyone to pick up and play. Having 8 different moves on one button plus a directional button just over complicates things.

I’d keep Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles the same as they are in Sonic 3. As much as I love the drop dash I’d prefer to keep the insta shield as Sonic’s default ability. Though I’d keep the option to use the drop dash and super peel out in its place.

I like the idea of Amy purposefully mimicking Sonic’s moveset as best she can, so I’d basically make her a weird Sonic with a twist. Think Sakura to Ryu in street fighter. So she can spin jump and roll like everyone else, but she’s got the hammer spin in place of the insta shield. I’d lengthen her hammer to give her much better range than Sonic’s shield, yet the trade off is it’s not as instant so you gotta time it properly and she uncurls after the move leaving her vulverable afterwards though after some cool down she can do another hammer spin.

I’d give her the step dash from Advance 2 as opposed to a normal spin dash. So she revs up by moving her legs but she blasts off in a ball. So she can’t harm enemies while revving up. 

I’d also go about give her some of the abilities she gets in the Advance games as shield powers too. Sonic’s shield powers became actual moves of his later on, so similar idea here. I should point out Sonic & Amy would be the only characters with shield powers.

So with the bubble shield she does the hammer drop where she drops while spinning with the hammer, the flame shield will give her the air dash move from Advance 3. It’s basically like Sonic’s yet it’s much slower and goes a shorter distance making it more controllable, but she can’t damage enemies with it, and the electric shield will give her an uncurled double jump. Oh and of course I’ll point out that hitting a spring with any of her hammer based attacks will give you extra height.

I don’t have any ideas for other characters right now, at least not any that’d adhere to the one button rule like this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some conversations elsewhere got me thinking of Amy's gameplay and I ended up with another idea that works with my challenge. though it may not be possible to implement outside of fangames for legal reasons involving Segway imagery.

This example includes the spin dash and is pretty much using the 3&K gameplay for it's base with changes to rolling and the Spin Dash without changing their functionality.

Rolling becomes Ride Hammer - When pressing down while running instead of curling into a ball and rolling Amy instead pulls out her hammer and rides it like a Segway with the same effect as rolling except that she wont damage enemies who don't touch her hammer, instead taking damage herself.

Spin Dash becomes Rev Hammer - all of the properties of the Spin Dash but like the Ride Hammer ability above. She pulls out and hops onto her hammer when the move is activated revving it in place before launching off and steam rolling  enemies with her hammer.

Hammer Vault - Press jump when Amy brings out her hammer for Ride Hammer or Rev Hammer and instead of landing on the hammer she swings it and propels herself through the air with greater height and distance than a normal jump. Replaces Amy's regular jump if she is riding her hammer and has the same effect as Hammer Attack (see below).

Hammer Attack - While jumping press jump to make Amy swing her hammer while somersaulting to damage enemies, open monitors, and strike springs for a tremendous boost.

-----

There we go. It's a nice and Amy unique moveset that still keeps the traditional moveset but tweaks them to fit Amy. It also can work with some of her other abilities from the Advance games such as her Hammer Drop and it also works if she doesn't have a traditional Spin Jump. All in all I really like this one. Such a shame the Segway imagery probably kills it for legal reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Double post bumping an old thread, hope I don't get in trouble for this...

Anyway, having played a bit of Mania Plus and having had the chance to fool around with Mighty and Ray a little bit, the mix of active and passive abilities inspired me to revisit this thread and explore some of my ideas here. I'll just be focusing on Sonic and Amy though for now since Tails and Knuckles I feel need refinement after playing with Mighty and Ray more than they need to be altered.

So starting by quoting myself

On 5/20/2018 at 11:51 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Sonic: I see Sonic’s platforming style being more based on moving without stopping, as the original idea that gave birth to the rolling gameplay and Sonic himself was had the idea of. To address that I use parkour as a basis for allowing Sonic to scale over ledges that are right above him with minimal player input to aim to allow for continuous movement.

Sonic 

With Sonic as the main character and his theme being movement and speed, plus his ability to use Shield Abilities, the actions that I would give Sonic are semi-automated but have the basic idea of keeping Sonic in motion as much as possible.

Alternate Movement 1 - Wall Jump: Self explanatory but as it usually appears, stick to a wall momentarily and press jump again to jump off with a slight gain of height.

Alternate Movement 2 - Climb Over: Automatically pulls himself onto ledges just above him while jumping with momentum in check if player is holding in direction of ledge.

So with Sonic I feel he needs more of both passive and active abilities to add to his dynamism and theme of continuous movement and I feel that the above ideas I wrote here before would really work well to distinguish Sonic further from his peers while staying in that theme. These moves also give Sonic an alternate type of vertical movement while also allowing him access to routes that a character like Might who is purely based on the core gameplay would not just due to the extra height afforded by the Climb Over or Parkour semi-passive action.

- - - - -

Moving on I'll again address 

Amy Rose w/o Hammer

I know I've made some fine glue by now with how much I've beaten this horse to death, but Ray combined with Amy's tendency of being demonstrated to be quite acrobatic and my belief that her grip strength that is demonstrated in Sonic CD and used in Mania could make for a unique gameplay experience has lead me back to her again. To proceed though, I had to ask myself how can I make Amy different without separating her from the rolling in a ball imagery of the Genesis/Mega Drive games? Well, for me Ray held the answer in how his glide works and how fans of what Amy's hammer prefer tucking into a ball to not be an option for her. As I believe it should be an option though the idea I came up with requires that I break the rules of my challenge

So, with that out of they way, please allow me to proceed with what I would replace the Spin Jump with for Amy even though I'm breaking the rules.

Twist Jump: Replacing the Spin Jump, instead of curling into a ball when "Jump" is pressed Amy instead performs a Full Front Twist

granting greater height and distance than other characters Spin Jumps and with the added passive ability of allowing her to land safely on enemies and bosses treating them as stick platforms as long as they are safe to stand on, i.e; not extending spikes or barriers, etc...

So, this defines Amy as a platforming specialist with the ability to make use of more "platforms" than other characters. What it doesn't demonstrate is the ability to curl into a ball and attack like the other characters but fortunately that's where Ray comes in. To those who have played Mania Plus they know that to use Ray's glide they need to press and hold "Jump" and that releasing "Jump" reverts him back into a Spin Jump after the apex of the jump. So, for Amy my approach is fairly backwards of that and gives the player the choice to curl into a ball while crouching (Spin Dash), running (Spin/Rolling Attack), or jumping

Aerial Spin/Rolling Attack

While jumping, press and hold "Jump" to make Amy curl into a ball to damage enemies and open Item Monitors. Releasing "Jump" will cause Amy to uncurl gaining extra height after bouncing. Repeatable. 

This little move not only give's the player the choice to have Amy attack in the air while curling up in a ball but by being repeatable with a bonus height gain for uncurling also opens up options for how the player in regards to curling, and uncurling, and when to use either state. Then if I add in one more passive ability based on cute things and characters being considered squishy and the little animation near the end of the Sonic Mania Pre-Order Trailer (starts @1:23 roughly)then 

Spin/Rolling Bounce

If "Jump" is still held when Amy touches the ground she will rebound while carrying any momentum that she had while losing momentum with each successive bounce. Releasing "Jump" causes Amy to uncurl and she can not bounce off the ground again until after performing another "Aerial Spin/Rolling Attack

...then even how Amy lands becomes a matter of player choice that keeps the hedgehog's ability to curl into a ball as the main part of a hedgehog characters moveset while strongly differentiating her from how Sonic works above.

- - - - -

Mighty

Didn't think I'd address anyone else in this thread but I got to thinking about the results of using Amy's hammer in the Advance games on springs and figured it would make a great passive action in regards to mighty's Hammer Drop while also giving him a unique vertical option compared to the others.

- - - - -

So those are my current ideas after playing Mania Plus (even though I broke the rules of my challenge with Amy). What about everyone else? Whether you played Mania Plus or not if the game stirred up new ideas feel free to share them here. Just please, stick to the rules as close as you can and if you have to break them for you ideas please explain why.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Well here's a necro-bump triple pot for a thread that went nowhere in a hurry, but considering my recent art post I thought I'd attach here to where I first posted the gameplay idea

On 7/25/2018 at 10:02 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Amy Rose w/o Hammer

I know I've made some fine glue by now with how much I've beaten this horse to death, but Ray combined with Amy's tendency of being demonstrated to be quite acrobatic and my belief that her grip strength that is demonstrated in Sonic CD and used in Mania could make for a unique gameplay experience has lead me back to her again. To proceed though, I had to ask myself how can I make Amy different without separating her from the rolling in a ball imagery of the Genesis/Mega Drive games? Well, for me Ray held the answer in how his glide works and how fans of what Amy's hammer prefer tucking into a ball to not be an option for her. As I believe it should be an option though the idea I came up with requires that I break the rules of my challenge

So, with that out of they way, please allow me to proceed with what I would replace the Spin Jump with for Amy even though I'm breaking the rules.

Twist Jump: Replacing the Spin Jump, instead of curling into a ball when "Jump" is pressed Amy instead performs a Full Front Twist

granting greater height and distance than other characters Spin Jumps and with the added passive ability of allowing her to land safely on enemies and bosses treating them as stick platforms as long as they are safe to stand on, i.e; not extending spikes or barriers, etc...

So, this defines Amy as a platforming specialist with the ability to make use of more "platforms" than other characters. What it doesn't demonstrate is the ability to curl into a ball and attack like the other characters but fortunately that's where Ray comes in. To those who have played Mania Plus they know that to use Ray's glide they need to press and hold "Jump" and that releasing "Jump" reverts him back into a Spin Jump after the apex of the jump. So, for Amy my approach is fairly backwards of that and gives the player the choice to curl into a ball while crouching (Spin Dash), running (Spin/Rolling Attack), or jumping

Aerial Spin/Rolling Attack

While jumping, press and hold "Jump" to make Amy curl into a ball to damage enemies and open Item Monitors. Releasing "Jump" will cause Amy to uncurl gaining extra height after bouncing. Repeatable. 

This little move not only give's the player the choice to have Amy attack in the air while curling up in a ball but by being repeatable with a bonus height gain for uncurling also opens up options for how the player in regards to curling, and uncurling, and when to use either state. Then if I add in one more passive ability based on cute things and characters being considered squishy and the little animation near the end of the Sonic Mania Pre-Order Trailer (starts @1:23 roughly)then 

Spin/Rolling Bounce

If "Jump" is still held when Amy touches the ground she will rebound while carrying any momentum that she had while losing momentum with each successive bounce. Releasing "Jump" causes Amy to uncurl and she can not bounce off the ground again until after performing another "Aerial Spin/Rolling Attack

...then even how Amy lands becomes a matter of player choice that keeps the hedgehog's ability to curl into a ball as the main part of a hedgehog characters moveset while strongly differentiating her from how Sonic works above.

13463517cf54c183a4edc9f8a1a2d23a651b90a0

There, even though I'm using my AU and redesign as a base, the idea now has an illustration to go with it 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

1 button gameplay in 3D idea.

X = Jump (straight up if stationary), Momentum Jump (if moving forward or lateral)

X, X = Jump Ability

Backwards + X = Roll (if moving), Crouch (if stationary)

Roll/Crouch + X = Spin Dash (hold to charge)

L stick = movement

R stick = camera/vision

Jump Abilities:

Sonic = Air Dash/Homing from SA1

Tails = Flight

Knuckles = Glide/Climb

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:01 AM, Moose the Cat said:

Backwards + X = Roll (if moving), Crouch (if stationary)

Roll/Crouch + X = Spin Dash (hold to charge)

That's great, really!

The only problem I see is that backwards + X while stationary may limit your movements if you just want to walk around and not crouch. They can put a small input lag to movements when you start them by tilting the analog down, but it may be annoying when you have to react to something fast, like a trap or a bullet.

Definitely interesting and very intuitive though, and releasing "backwards" to release the spindash would bring back that pinball-like feel, you know, this thing, the ball launcher:

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Iko said:

That's great, really!

The only problem I see is that backwards + X while stationary may limit your movements if you just want to walk around and not crouch. They can put a small input lag to movements when you start them by tilting the analog down, but it may be annoying when you have to react to something fast, like a trap or a bullet.

Definitely interesting and very intuitive though, and releasing "backwards" to release the spindash would bring back that pinball-like feel, you know, this thing, the ball launcher:

spacer.png

Thank you! Good point! Yes, the idea is based on the idea that Sonic is (and always has been) a "Pinball Platformer"