Jump to content
NicoBoi

What is Next for 2d Sonic?

Recommended Posts

Ok so after Mania cane out the future is looking bright with Mania+ . But what is after that? Personally I think that they will let HeadCanon do the rest of the 2d games. But I am also curious if SEGA is going to continue with that because of the fact that the best Sonic game in years has been made by them and not SEGA. Kind of the same deel that happened to Fallout whare Fallout New Vegas, where the game the is widely considered as the best was not made by Bethesda but instead was made by Obsidian Entertainment. So we will not know until it happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That actually is a good question. If Sega keeps Headcannon around to make more 2D games, maybe we could see if more could be added to the universe of Classic Sonic. As it did kinda feel like it fell dead in it's tracks after Sonic 3 and Knuckles originally. So with Mania being the spark the Classic series needed. I imagine that we may see a proper Sonic 4 or 5. Though I suppose we cannot hold our breath on that just yet, with Mania Plus still not out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully more from Mania's team. Considering the game's success that should be all but guaranteed, but with this series, who knows.

There'll almost certainly be more "3D" games that are half or more 2D, though. That is a prediction I feel pretty confident about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Just Mania 2 , that's all we need. That's all the world needs.

Seriously , I really hope Mania 2 is on the cards they did such a good job with the first one how could they not want to do more?

Mania 2 definitely is the way to go. Maybe even Mania 3 and we'll have an awesome "trilogy" like Sonic 1-3. After Mania 3 I don't mind, let them do whatever. You know Mania 2 can flop if it's not done by the og team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mania 2 will likely happen, though we might get a Mania ++ as well. Due to its status as a Mania 2, it comes with all of Mania’s own baggage (link to Forces, link to the next modern game, returning stages (though reduced in number), silly tone, etc), but with a higher budget and likely a bigger team (Prope? Artoon? Even Dimps?). Worst case scenario has Sanzaru do more milequetoast 2D Sonic. Dimps games aren’t forgotten by the developers, but fade further from the general public’s mind, and that of the fandom. Mania 3 follows suit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Mania 2 will likely happen, though we might get a Mania ++ as well. Due to its status as a Mania 2, it comes with all of Mania’s own baggage (link to Forces, link to the next modern game, returning stages (though reduced in number), silly tone, etc), but with a higher budget and likely a bigger team (Prope? Artoon? Even Dimps?). Worst case scenario has Sanzaru do more milequetoast 2D Sonic. Dimps games aren’t forgotten by the developers, but fade further from the general public’s mind, and that of the fandom. Mania 3 follows suit. 

Really? You thought Mania had a silly tone? I thought it did a fairly decent job at mostly capturing the atmosphere from the classics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Really? You thought Mania had a silly tone? I thought it did a fairly decent job at mostly capturing the atmosphere from the classics.

I personally did. This is mainly due to the things like the googly eyes on the meter droid, the cartoony animations, the music at times, the lack of transitions between areas, etc. 

But I think the update is closer to recapturing the classic tone with more of an internal continuity focus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

I personally did. This is mainly due to the things like the googly eyes on the meter droid, the cartoony animations, the music at times, the lack of transitions between areas, etc. 

But I think the update is closer to recapturing the classic tone with more of an internal continuity focus.

Fair enough. I personally didn't like some of the animations myself for them being too cartoony (a complaint I have a against Tyson Heese's artstyle at times as it makes Sonic too playful at the expense of his more abrasive traits). I do agree though that the transitions in Mania Plus though are helping to create a sense of internal continuity with a growing increase in stakes and threat (LRZ -> MMZ -> TMZ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2018 at 1:08 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Bad future: Sonic Team saw the success of Sonic Mania and thought to themselves "I guess people like 2D classic Sonic games!... Lets make the next one ourselves instead of hiring the Mania Team again!" And Sonic 5 is made which is a 2.5D game based off of their classic Sonic engine from Sonic Forces.... it flops hard and Sonic Team blames that everybody are simply tired of classic style games.

Good future: Sonic Team saw the success of Sonic Mania and decide to have the Mania Team make more classic style Sonic games roughly once every few years. And each game has more new zones & content and even swaps out Tails & Knuckles for other playable characters on a rotation system between games to keep the games away from being to samey & boring feeling.

Best Future: Sonic team undergoes a massive staff overhaul, with the possible exception of maybe Iizuka, allowing maybe even the Mania team to merge into Sonic Team itself. 3D gameplay is henceforth based on various fan projects like Sonic Utopia and Fark, with all games being fully 3D with multiple different characters. The 2D games will continue and may even move from pixelated to HD graphics akin to New Super Mario Bros or even Sonic Fan Remix, yet still with physics accurate to the classic games.

The future: There will be no Mania sequel, at least not for a long while and not in the traditional sense. the next big 3D Sonic game will be another boost game with slightly better level design. Sonic Team as game developers will continue to be incompetent regardless of the success of Mania. Because of the incompetence and stubbornness behind the staff of Sonic Team and Sega themselves, they will be too confused as to how to continue the series - just like they've always been. They will hardly change anything to the formula due to how previous innovations failed, like Lost World and Boom. Expect 3D games to be half 2D, expect mediocre level design and expect watered-down stories because all previous attempts have failed almost completely while this method at least resulted in some success. And for Sega, or at least Sonic Team, some success is good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, McGroose said:

The 2D games will continue and may even move from pixelated to HD graphics akin to New Super Mario Bros or even Sonic Fan Remix, yet still with physics accurate to the classic games.

Eww... New Super Mario Bros had ugly graphics in my opinion. We don't need another Sonic 4 EP2 which is fairly close to NSMB. Sonic Fan Remix had nice detailed environments, but a kinda soulless clearly unfinished character model for Sonic. If they go full 3D... then they need to go far beyond NSMB in quality. And while I wouldn't be against the idea of a 3D graphics classic Sonic game in theory... I think it'd be a risky choice. Honestly I think them sticking to pixel art is fine... pixel art is something many classic fans already love. May not be the best idea to try to fix something that isn't exactly broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if I'd say Mania's tone was silly, exactly, but I think it was inevitable for it to be somewhat playful given its nature as a nostalgic celebration game.  What I hope for in a Mania spiritual sequel is an all-original game that takes itself - well, tone as we all know is somewhat a matter of debate in the series, but let's just say I'd like it to take itself as seriously as the classics took themselves.  So far as graphical style goes, I'm honestly not that fussed so long as it looks good and so long as it makes an ambitious statement about the quality of the franchise now rather than the quality of the franchise twenty years ago.  I definitely want there to be a new all-2D arm to the franchise which embraces the best of the series in all its 2D incarnations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Fair enough. I personally didn't like some of the animations myself for them being too cartoony (a complaint I have a against Tyson Heese's artstyle at times as it makes Sonic too playful at the expense of his more abrasive traits). I do agree though that the transitions in Mania Plus though are helping to create a sense of internal continuity with a growing increase in stakes and threat (LRZ -> MMZ -> TMZ).

And especially some of the bosses, like the one where you catch Baldy McNosehair off guard while swimming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, since graphics have become a bit of topic of debate here, I kind of have a question for that. Since Mania uses the original Oshima design instead of the Uekawa design, and that the most generally liked iteration of the Oshima design is Toei's work on Sonic CD, if one were to go for a 2.5D look in the future of using the Oshima design, would you be alright with say having a studio like Arc System Works after there work on Dragon Ball FighterZ work with SEGA on the graphical design side of things?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking for myself, I gotta see it in motion, friend @Sonic Fan J. I can imagine it would look dope, but this kind of animation is very, very expensive, which would mean shorter games.

I'm a sucker for pixelated graphics, tho'. And while Mania is pretty great, fluid and vivid, it can be even better, which it's the way to go if you ask me how I would like a sequel. Plus, obviously, flip the old/new zones ratio. Have 8 news and 5 old this time. Or everything new. 

Just keep the Mania Team around to do this hypothetical sequel. If they change the core team, well... It's dead to me. 

Edit: BTW, as for animating the characters, I really love what this guy did here (aside from the tittle screen lol):

 

Granted it looks wacky at some places, but man. It's pretty decent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be down with another Saturn-styled Classic title but that's on account of my love of the SEGA Saturn's 2D games and the style that came with them - particularly in terms of Treasure, who directly inspired Sonic Mania. 

As for what's next - I'd expect another Mania Team game, just with all original stages. Probably not in the immediate future, but somewhere down the line. Contrary to the 'whimsical' complaints, I'd say Mania did an insanely good job capturing the style and emotion of Naoto Oshima's original design documents and I'd love to see that continue. I don't know if they'd go 3D though. I feel like a hand-drawn approach is more likely, but even then I think the pixel art still has plenty of places it could go, and it's a style I love. Also makes for more efficient level design through tilesets, something I don't think a 3D workflow would adjust well to without compromises. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

I'd be down with another Saturn-styled Classic title but that's on account of my love of the SEGA Saturn's 2D games and the style that came with them - particularly in terms of Treasure, who directly inspired Sonic Mania. 

As for what's next - I'd expect another Mania Team game, just with all original stages. Probably not in the immediate future, but somewhere down the line. Contrary to the 'whimsical' complaints, I'd say Mania did an insanely good job capturing the style and emotion of Naoto Oshima's original design documents and I'd love to see that continue. I don't know if they'd go 3D though. I feel like a hand-drawn approach is more likely, but even then I think the pixel art still has plenty of places it could go, and it's a style I love. Also makes for more efficient level design through tilesets, something I don't think a 3D workflow would adjust well to without compromises. 

I agree with this. Mania should keep being Mania and not try to Dreamcastify itself. Stick with 2D, tile-based graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 10:34 PM, Diogenes said:

There'll almost certainly be more "3D" games that are half or more 2D, though. That is a prediction I feel pretty confident about.

Why must you do this to me. I know you're right, but I don't want you to be.

Why can't they make an honest damn attempt at a 3D game instead of halfassing it. How did they go backwards from Generations. I didn't even want them to use that style, but how did they make it worse in every conceivable way????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say Mania 2 is set in stone, it is a critical success and commercially it didnt do too bad.

After mania 2 however I do hope Headcannon ports the mobile versions of Sonic 1, Sonic CD and 2 over to consoles and PC.

And maybe there will be a Sonic 3 remake too, segas just got to be less uptight about music rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sonic 4 Episode 3 baybee!!!

Spoiler

hopefully Sonic Mania 2 with mostly original levels but honestly wouldn't mind to see some old zones return again, just reverse the old-new ration from the first game and I'm happy. Mystic Cave please thanks Sega xx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Biggs said:

Sonic 4 Episode 3 baybee!!!

  Reveal hidden contents

hopefully Sonic Mania 2 with mostly original levels but honestly wouldn't mind to see some old zones return again, just reverse the old-new ration from the first game and I'm happy. Mystic Cave please thanks Sega xx

 

You know,  in its own way Sonic Mania is kind of Sonic 4. Eggman is revisiting old zones and creations by means of the Phantom Ruby and has even made Little Planet his base. In the end Sonic defeats Eggman and frees Little Planet. The similarities are honestly kind of surprising now that I think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think Classic Sonic will continue to be a series for 5-8 more games after Mania +, until maybe they change things up with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.