Awoo.

Who is your favorite Sonic character?

SonicandShadowrules

Sonic. 

There was a brief moment as a kid when I first got Sonic 3, that I liked Tails the most. I was so excited to actually be able to fly with him after playing Sonic 2. (and at first, in Sonic 2 I thought "he" was a girl and became weirded out when I found out he wasn't.) And he's was such an innocent looking character. I was sad the first time I got to launch base and Tails couldn't make the trip to face big arm. I was like 7 or 8 when I first played, so it resonated with me.

But as I got better at the game it became Sonic again and it's never not been Sonic since. I've mostly not identified with Sonic, my personality is very different to his, but he more than most characters I've seen in fiction just exemplifies freedom and "kick butt first talk later". Also strongly independent, which I do identify with. 

Other than Metal Sonic, my favorites are:

Tails: First of all, he is adorable. Whether we're talking his classic or his modern design, he is among the cutest video game characters of all time. He also has an extremely likable personality.

Vector: Actually one of the more complex Sonic characters, with his rough exterior but intelligent brain and good heart. He is also both one of the funniest and strangely most relatable characters with his constant money problems. The older I've gotten the more I've been able to feel him whenever he says anything about paying the rent.

My favorite is definitely Shadow, but beyond that it's hard for me to pick as I really do enjoy everyone. If I had to pick I'd probably put Sonic and Rouge for a top three. But then I also like Tails and Eggman and... you can see what I mean. lol

Why do I like Shadow so much? I find his personality and situation really interesting. His design and move set is also cool, but it's his core that gets to me. It's something I think could only exist in the Adventure era, and why he remains a favorite among those from that generation. Classic was limited by hardware to be able to show the more subtle parts of his character (which despite some opinions I think voice can add to), while the 2010s era wouldn't be interested in telling that story sincerely either, if at all. (Forces is it's own bag of worms, but tl;dr I don't think it would have either)

As many know, it's mostly based on Sonic Adventure 2 content wise for me. To be fair though Hero's Team Dark story was about 8 minutes long in cutscenes, his solo game had a completely different writer than SA2 (funny enough it's by Iizuka, Shadow's other co-creator), and then said writer for SA2 (Shirou Maekawa) left Sega in 2008. Now with no one left still at Sega seeming to understand why Shadow worked to begin with. I do appreciate that the comic writers at least try to, even if they can't always get it through to the final product.

This will probably be me describing things that happened in the game. If you are interested in checking out the original version of the story and trivia for yourself instead, I made a playlist for convenience.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZeemmoCcNP6fQEFazevkGW8OL0mll0AB

I guess for starters I'll have to explain what Shadow wasn't in his debut, since the game named after him has given him such a bad reputation. And the worst part is some people act like Shadow fans were the one asking for this! Sure, before the game itself there may have been demand, but I think if they understood the impact on the series and Shadow it had after that some would change their minds. Would I have liked to know more about Shadow's past? Sure. Did I think the split story system from Adventure was interesting and would have liked it expanded? Yes. But Shadow's game feels like a monkey paw taking all these things people *did* want, and twisting them around to be something else. He's also practically a different character here, because he is. It really feels like Iizuka going "I'll show them *my* version of Shadow", and based on what I could find on the game development it's likely the case it was. I won't go too into the route stuff as most of it is for replay value instead of canon, so some of them are supposed to be out of character.

Shadow isn't an edgelord in SA2, he does care about some people (in a tsundere, not honest to himself fashion, which is expanded on in later games with Team Dark), and he's not evil and angry all the time while swearing and wielding guns. I swear some people just read a summary of the character and assume that is all he is.

If Shadow isn't those things he's commonly shown as now, then what was he? (this will have SA2 spoilers, if you care play the game or the cutscenes first before reading if you haven't)
SA2 starts with Shadow wanting revenge on humanity, because he sees it as the last wish of the only person close to him, Maria. (this is explained more in Last Story) However, even when this is considered his goal, he still helps people like Rouge. While Shadow starts off as cocky towards Sonic, he ends up being surprised by him and eventually grows to respect him despite how different they are. He's honestly not even that angry all the time. He's mostly just focused on doing his mission, and confused about his existence being questioned by those around him. (Sonic showing him up, Rouge finding files that he might not be who he thinks he is, etc.) Most of this works even without the Last Story. Shadow might not be honest about his thoughts and feelings, but that doesn't mean the same as being an asshole who would "take candy from a baby" or whatever was mentioned later.

A little moment I think that shows this best is when Amy runs into Shadow during Prison Island. An edgy character would react by shoving her away and yelling not to touch them. Even Sonic would not be happy at the gesture. But Shadow? Not only is he not mad, but he has this goofy smile that makes me laugh. It took me awhile to notice due to how short it is.

Spoiler

r2Lwxkf.png

And then we have Last Story. While Hero and Dark could have just ended it there, it's here where things really go up. Both in stakes and tying everything together. We find out why Shadow was created (even if some of the details are better explained in the Japanese guidebook, huge thanks to Windii for all his translations), why he's been having trouble with his memories, and what he's going to do to change and stop the thing he was originally aiming towards. We find out that Gerald has been manipulating Shadow's memories to turn Maria's last wish from to protect humanity, to destroy humanity in revenge for her death. Pretty much using Shadow to do what he couldn't, as he knew his own end was coming. But after hearing what Amy tells him, he realizes what Maria really wanted, and to go out and do that. (it's why I find it hilarious when people say Shadow is a rebel, as the whole time he is following what others want him to do) We see this in game play by Shadow not helping at all during Canon's Core, but then holding off and then fighting the Biolizard. Sonic yells at Shadow to go back to the Ark and save himself from his super form not being as stable as Sonic, but Shadow refuses to. Shadow tells Sonic that he thinks he may be the real Ultimate life form after all. Then he helps Sonic save the Ark from falling with one last Chaos Control, saving the Earth like Maria wanted before falling to his death.

Sonic absolutely embodies Mono no aware, translates more literally as "pathos of things" but means something more like "pathos of ethemera" or the love of the fleeting. I'll always appreciate him for that.

You can't even tell me that it's not canon after SaTBK.

His "attitude" is honestly charming in the right hands, like he's the business and he knows it. I tend to prefer when not "excessively spoken" and relies more on his body language and tone of voice, Sonic Colours I am looking at you.

Pictured: The moment SaTBK needed my money.

tumblr_inline_p7nc9vZt201riafjl_400.gif.b061364f3f6d1c8889dcc6ecc32529d4.gif