Awoo.

TheMarioAmigos' Fan Game Thread - General Thread on My Projects

BlueSpeedster

Hello everyone! Welcome to my fan game thread, this is a thread for cancelled, in progress or even (hopefully) released fan games by me! (or a team)

Let me say this... this thread will mostly be available and be updated once I have some good announcements.

screenshot103.png.00419005fa790d62264923668ddbc972.png
This is one of them ^ (Since then, assets have changed from what was shown.)

Here are a list of projects that were shown (or not shown) on this very thread:

• Sonic Damage Control = STATUS: Cancelled
  • Sonic X Mega Man: Worlds Collide = STATUS: Cancelled
  • Unnamed Sonic Fan Game Project = STATUS: Under development
  • A unannounced version of GMate for Game Maker 8 = STATUS: 95% Complete. (A couple of things needs to be changed beforehand.) 
Edited by MarioAmigosYT
Changed the first post and name once more.

Just a suggestion for future trailer/footage releases, don't put text on them, or if you do, put the text right at the bottom of the video and make the transitions so that they appear much slower and on a fade if possible, it's just really distracting right now and makes me want to click off the video.

Are you going for just Genesis Styled Sonic or would you like to go 32-bit/Sega Saturn like Sonic Mania? Do you need level designers that know how to make levels that are fun to speedrun through while also feeling natural to the environment they go to? I'm sure you'll need original sprite art if you want to bring Cyberniks in or the Sonic the Comic Robotnik and Grimer in and it's highly recommended if you're planning on this to have the Metallix even if it would be easy to go for a regular Metal Sonic sprite sheet. 

Like, what all does your team have and what are your weak points that you're looking for in new team members? A lot of this looks like placeholder stuff until you have a solid team. 

7 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Just a suggestion for future trailer/footage releases, don't put text on them, or if you do, put the text right at the bottom of the video and make the transitions so that they appear much slower and on a fade if possible, it's just really distracting right now and makes me want to click off the video.

Hey, I used an iPhone to edit this okay.

36 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

Hey, I used an iPhone to edit this okay.

You could have probably just not have put the text in. Or you could have used a computer to make the very important announcement video. Anyway, it's good to see some progress on the game, but you definitely need more original assets and work on the level design. Also there's lots of rough edged areas that you used center tiles for when you should've used edge tiles.

• Fist Bump 1

Ok this could go two ways, either lead this into a hate thread for my editing skills or to lead into a chat on the game itself

1 hour ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

Ok this could go two ways, either lead this into a hate thread for my editing skills or to lead into a chat on the game itself

I don't think anything in here so far even comes close to "hate" dude. In all honesty the text didn't even bother me personally even though the people above are right in saying even having the text at the bottom of the screen rather than centre would've done it.

But to be fair and talk about the game itself, I'm...confused about the project. I mean from the gameplay you seem to have the core classic sonic system going just fine but did you make that engine, are you using an existing one? You say the game's based on the Fleetway Sonic but there's no evidence or examples of it. Y'know, what's the story synopsis (thus also explaining the game's name), what characters are involved, what are you doing with the gameplay that's different from other projects out there?

I'm not actually looking for answers here, just trying to get your mind going a little because from a complete outsider's perspective, like myself and likely many others on here, we've really got nothing other than another Game Maker Classic Sonic engine video. It's because of that you might find this thread quieter than you'd like since there's nothing more for us to really say other than "yep, that's classic sonic gameplay alright". We'd really need more information to get a sense of this project.

Not to put you off at all though, good on you for taking on a creative project and doing something you enjoy, I wish you well with it!

5 hours ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

No one's hating on anything dude, just telling you what you can improve on in the future, chill.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, The Loudest Loud said:

I don't think anything in here so far even comes close to "hate" dude. In all honesty the text didn't even bother me personally even though the people above are right in saying even having the text at the bottom of the screen rather than centre would've done it.

But to be fair and talk about the game itself, I'm...confused about the project. I mean from the gameplay you seem to have the core classic sonic system going just fine but did you make that engine, are you using an existing one? You say the game's based on the Fleetway Sonic but there's no evidence or examples of it. Y'know, what's the story synopsis (thus also explaining the game's name), what characters are involved, what are you doing with the gameplay that's different from other projects out there?

I'm not actually looking for answers here, just trying to get your mind going a little because from a complete outsider's perspective, like myself and likely many others on here, we've really got nothing other than another Game Maker Classic Sonic engine video. It's because of that you might find this thread quieter than you'd like since there's nothing more for us to really say other than "yep, that's classic sonic gameplay alright". We'd really need more information to get a sense of this project.

Not to put you off at all though, good on you for taking on a creative project and doing something you enjoy, I wish you well with it!

As one of the "team members" (I'm there to give game dev advice and all) I can answer a few of the questions.

1) It's using an existing engine. IIRc, it's the Time Twisted one or something.

2) There were actual Fleetway Sonic sprites made, but I think that either they're not shown in the vid or they haven't been put in yet. The sprites are actually pretty good. I would say Mania level of good.

3) There is little to no story for the game as of yet. At least, nothing shared with the team. All I know it has Fleetway Sonic and Super as playable characters and deals with Fleet Super Sonic coming back from... the darkness(?). I've never read the Fleetway comics so I dunno what that means. Just, wherever Evil Super Sonic was left in the comics, the game is supposed to pick up from there.

4) No new gameplay changes.

(I know you said you weren't looking for answers but I think he left a bunch of details out so I figured I'd answer the questions anyways.)

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, Terriful said:

As one of the "team members" (I'm there to give game dev advice and all) I can answer a few of the questions.

1) It's using an existing engine. IIRc, it's the Time Twisted one or something.

2) There were actual Fleetway Sonic sprites made, but I think that either they're not shown in the vid or they haven't been put in yet. The sprites are actually pretty good. I would say Mania level of good.

3) There is little to no story for the game as of yet. At least, nothing shared with the team. All I know it has Fleetway Sonic and Super as playable characters and deals with Fleet Super Sonic coming back from... the darkness(?). I've never read the Fleetway comics so I dunno what that means. Just, wherever Evil Super Sonic was left in the comics, the game is supposed to pick up from there.

4) No new gameplay changes.

(I know you said you weren't looking for answers but I think he left a bunch of details out so I figured I'd answer the questions anyways.)

Hey props for that dude! Like I say the last thing I was doing was being all "boo you suck ya told us nothing", but more info like this is definitely what the project could benefit from. You never know who might be interested if they're just able to get a proper idea on what the game is!

Good luck with the project! ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

To continue @Terriful's answers:

1) The engine used is GMate

2) The sprites were actually not finished

3) The story is a work in progress

and 4) Same as what he said

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update here: The Game will no longer hit SAGE 2019.

Keep in mind that more updates will come in when we deem the next batch of new content to be showcased.

Thank you for your support

Updated the thread! More reveals of "Project: Nexus" will be shown off here and on the (going to be linked) Discord server!
Stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...

Project Nexus is known as Sonic Nexus Reality

8DB08BA2-9052-4536-AC60-026331F4C2C0.thumb.png.8e62af2dc8aee06788e8e17b1c50745e.png

Also, engine switched to Sonic Revival Engine Unleashed(but modified)

• 1 month later...

OK, bumping this up.

First thing's first: Sonic Damage Control is cancelled.

Secondly: Sonic Nexus Reality became a Sonic and Mega Man fangame based on Worlds Collide and as such, the "Prologue Demo" no longer represents the final project.

Thirdly: Sonic Nexus Reality's name got changed to Sonic X Mega Man - Worlds Collide

and finally.... I have nothing else to say.

Can say this: Please wait a little longer for new information on the project.

• 3 weeks later...

New updates:
- @Terriful will now lead development of Sonic X Mega Man on Unity.

-I will no longer be a part of the Sonic X Mega Man project

-Began work on a secret solo project in Game Maker. Here is a early tease:
screenshot103.png.00419005fa790d62264923668ddbc972.png

and that is all the updates I have. Thanks for wasting your time reading this.

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED THE THREAD FOR THE 95TH TIME.
-Changed some assets for the Unnamed Sonic Fan Game Project.
-Began and almost completed a unannounced version of GMate for Game Maker 8

.... and that's it.

More updates will be available "when something is done".

BIG NEWS: Sonic X Mega Man: Worlds Collide is now cancelled.

OTHER NEWS: My Unnamed Sonic Project has a new update! Take a look:
screenshot104.png.6556b5f0f46f31e1bd65f73780a9b37b.png
(PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SONIC SPRITE HAS SINCE THEN CHANGED.)

As for the unannounced GMate version:
Progress is going slowly. But it is mostly complete.

Anyhow, thanks for reading this update. You can also bring in your feedback on my progress here. See ya on the next update!

• Thumbs Up 1