Awoo.

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee for Switch - 16 November 2018

Pawn

I get the game is geared towards kids, but the footage we saw seems downright patronizing. NEEDING to have a type advantage Pokemon for Brock is honestly such an absurdity.

First Pokemon game I'm buying in forever. Mostly because of gen 1 and accessibility.

For better or worse Pokemon games have always been aimed towards mainly children… But after watching videos of these Lets Go games…. that seems to be even more the case then ever to the point of unnecessary levels.

They won’t even let you fight Brock’s gym unless you show beforehand that you have the type advantage available. Not only is that weak sauce in general, but also RIP Nuzlocking these games without making additional special workaround rules just for those kinds of moments.

Not being able to battle wild Pokemon is nice to some degree because it cuts out some of the boring grindy aspects of the game… However that also comes with some cons. If you actually feel in the mood to battle, this means you now MUST go look for a trainer or boss battle to fight with no other real options. And unless they give you a easy way to re-battle trainers you already beat before... otherwise things will be awkward. And it’s honestly pretty boring and takes the challenge outta the game with the fact you can’t fight Pokemon to capture them… You just are tossing balls and berries for the most part… not really exciting or meaningful feeling.

It feels somewhat dumb that you get EXP just for capturing Pokemon while not even putting up a fight whatsoever and that your whole team gets EXP from it for no reason? But If they had to go with the no wild battles direction... It may seem like a smart idea at first to just give you EXP for capturing as there are not any wild Pokemon battles to level up from… As they needed a method to still let you grind levels… Until you realize that trainer battles should just be re-balanced to give you all the EXP you’ll need across the game… which wouldn’t even be that hard to achieve if you could freely re-challenge NPC-trainers at will.

And why is the rival another super nice friendly guy?! What the hell is up with GameFreak nowadays and making so many good nature rivals? Personally it feels un-motivating when I don’t want to crush the ever living daylight outta my rival…which is why jerk rivals are great! Sure they don’t need to do be that type EVERY game… but unless I’m forgetting… I don’t remember seeing to many true jerk-wad rivals from Pokemon games lately.

Lastly for now, another small nitpick of mine is I prefer there being outlines on the character models like in the last handheld games… The cartoony art style just looks uncompleted without it to me.

I honestly do see a handful of really good things about these Lets Go games… But I am starting to see a lot of cons hurting it badly too. :U

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/13/2018 at 9:05 AM, ZinogreVolt said:

I get the game is geared towards kids, but the footage we saw seems downright patronizing. NEEDING to have a type advantage Pokemon for Brock is honestly such an absurdity.

I will admit it is a bit condescending. I'd think even Go players would have some idea of what would work on Brock's Pokemon. Though also, looking at it on the other side of things. If a new player in general is curious about Pokemon, but doesn't want to play a harder Pokemon game. This is how they can get into it. So this doing a little hand holding, is valid in that sense.

But it still is silly that it is forced upon you, at the risk of being scolded for not having a type advantage Pokemon.

A rock type gym always felt like a really poor choice for a first gym because it resists almost everything you have access to at that point. Starting Gen 1 with Charmander was pretty fucking rough, even if you did bumble into one of the few wild pokemon that could do more than chip damage against rocks. Having a guy say "hey you're pretty much fucked if you go in without a type advantage, seriously leave and come back when you have one" and then actually having some out in the wild for you to find seems better than the alternative, especially for a game targeting more casual players.

On 6/16/2018 at 11:30 AM, Diogenes said:

A rock type gym always felt like a really poor choice for a first gym because it resists almost everything you have access to at that point. Starting Gen 1 with Charmander was pretty fucking rough, even if you did bumble into one of the few wild pokemon that could do more than chip damage against rocks. Having a guy say "hey you're pretty much fucked if you go in without a type advantage, seriously leave and come back when you have one" and then actually having some out in the wild for you to find seems better than the alternative, especially for a game targeting more casual players.

Funny you mention that since FRLG gives Charmander Metal Claw specifically to deal with Brock (similar to how LGPE gives Pikachu Double Kick to deal with him). FRLG was also a game catered towards newcomers and casuals and handled teaching the player what they needed to know in a far better and less intrusive manner. It gives you the type chart which teaches you that Rock is weak to Fighting, so if you're struggling vs. Brock with just Charmander, you can catch a Mankey to make things easier for yourself. That's way more gratifying and self-fulfilling than literally not even being able to progress unless you're as well equipped for the "challenge" ahead as possible. But more importantly, it didn't impede on the enjoyment of veteran players who simply wanted to re-experience Kanto and already know what they're doing.

• Thumbs Up 3

I always caught a Caterpie, evolved it to a Butterfree, and spammed Confusion on Brock lol

In Gen 1 I just over leveled Charmander til it was roughly level 15  in order to fight Brock. It did the trick just fine. I don't understand the concept of needing to force Pokemon games to be easier to appeal to casuals.... because Pokemon games always were already made for casual players from the start and were so easy that children could play them without much problems.That's why the games are so popular in the first place... And the very fact the mainline games are so easy is why many people choose to nuzlocke them in order to get some real challenge outta the games. These Lets Go games are starting to feel more like they are made for babies instead of being simply child friendly.

I don't think that these games are being simplified for children at all. They're being simplified to appeal to a different audience than the standard Pokémon games - those who aren't interested in the traditional aspects of Pokémon (and indeed RPGs or games in general) and who liked the simplicity of Go. These Let's Go games are trying to tap into the more casual gaming market who otherwise stick to mobile games a lot these days. It's supposed to be very approachable, and easy to get into without much prior understanding. Pokémon games are typically very easy to get into, but still rely on a certain amount of "game savvy" and some time investment, both to learn the mechanics for the first time and to progress.

Personally? I think that the Let's Go games are unnecessary and will absolutely suck to play. Just about anyone discussing these games on any sort of gaming board isn't the target audience though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

New trailer: 

The rival looks like a character straight out of a Wii game with pseudo-Miis.

Spoiler

RxA80qi.jpg

Oh, a wise guy, eh?

• Thumbs Up 1

Omg that Misty design is so heckin cute

>Friendly Rival

DROPPED

Also Oddish, Sandshrew and Growlithe are exclusive to LGP, Bellsprout, Meoth and Vulpix to LGE it's like they want people to not get Let's Go! Eevee

World map:

Spoiler

Fs03BOP.jpg

Very little appears to have changed, although Cinnabar might have an actual volcano now.  There are visual flourishes in certain areas denoting the Eeveelutions and traditional starter evolutions, but it's not clear there are any actual new areas present.

“Meet your friendly rival!”

I DON’T WANT ANOTHER FRIENDLY RIVAL I WANT A DOUCHEBAG RIVAL.

6 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

img_180713_05_01.png

I think this is the first time they’ve depicted the male and female with the opposite starters.

Apparently the version exclusive Pokemon are the same as they were in Red and Blue (Oddish and Growlith in LGP, Bellsprout and Vulpix in LGE, etc.)

Sure wish they’d change it up a bit...

That's some pretty selective nostalgia.  With Blue replaced and Eevee as a starter option, they're basically the only remnant of Yellow's anime homage, and look pretty out-of-place as a result.  Granted, in the age of the "friendly rival" then they do provide a set of recognisable faces to serve as true recurring antagonists.

It feels like the games want to give some endorsement to their anime series again after all this time (to be fair it's been doing a LOT of 20th anniversary promoting for them).

Notice how Brock and Misty are also two key characters promoted as well, and they look suspiciously reminiscent of their anime designs (Misty looks almost exactly like her Sun and Moon anime design).

Can't bemoan the Team Rocket trio appearing, they're pretty much one of the most iconic parts of the franchise that aren't from the games (besides Ash, though even he's partway originated from the player character). Come on Game Freak. PUT IN THE MOTTO.

16 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

A new Japanese Trailer revealed that Jessie & James are in the games.

tumblr_pbs6zuGBI51v68t0mo2_540.jpg

Welp. It's official. They went and gone Pokemon Yellow on us~ lol

But seriously. I really dought more recent fans would get why Jessie and James are in game outside of being team rocket employees, unless they have seen the anime. Even then, to newcomers, they would be basically rocket grunts with special looks. Though it also seems like while this is trying to draw in new fans, it's also trying to cater to the nostalgia of old fans. That's all fine and well. But why Jessie and James? Their relevancy in Pokemon Universe is merely on a anime basis anymore. Then again, they always were.

Eh. I guess it's nitpicking to complain about it. But still, it does feel a bit jarring that they are in it. Especially if this is suppose to be basically all new adventure, unrelated to what came before.

Whoa Jesse and James! Blast from the Pokemon Yellow past! I wonder if they'll go with the full anime references and make Meowth speak in these games.

Still, these games with elements of Yellow and Red/Blue feels kinda weird.

4 hours ago, JayRaR said:

Whoa Jesse and James! Blast from the Pokemon Yellow past! I wonder if they'll go with the full anime references and make Meowth speak in these games.

Still, these games with elements of Yellow and Red/Blue feels kinda weird.

Meowth speaking would be more complicated than with Pikachu since he speaks human and thus has localized actors. Written dialogue would likely be fine, but I'm not sure if they'd want to program special grunts and voice clips just for one single version of the Pokemon.

Wonder if they'll expand their team to feature the rest of their Kanto lot, or at a stretch, break the Gen 1-only rule to include Wobbuffet.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Meowth speaking would be more complicated than with Pikachu since he speaks human and thus has localized actors. Written dialogue would likely be fine, but I'm not sure if they'd want to program special grunts and voice clips just for one single version of the Pokemon.

Doesnt have to be voiced dialogue. Text dialogue was what I meant, but I completely forgot about movie Pikachu speaking and Pikachu being the only poke with a voiced cry that says its name

edit: oh and eevee too

On 7/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, JayRaR said:

Pikachu being the only poke with a voiced cry that says its name

Well the reason for Pikachu being given the ability say it's name in more recent games is supposed to be because Pikachu has been and is a long time mascot of the series. Though the Pikamania is getting a bit old if you ask me. But this is why I don't work for Nintendo.