Awoo.

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee for Switch - 16 November 2018

Pawn

Something just occurred to me: the E3 gameplay showed the player as having one of the three Kanto starters with them before the first gym. Is this just for the sake of the demo, or is this confirmation that the game isn’t carrying over Yellow’s “get all three starters from different NPC’s” thing?

Looks like it was just for E3 effect. Sqirtle is probably tired to this new event in Cerulean City. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

New Trailer to go with the recent news

chara_180809_01.png

img_180809_02_01.jpgimg_180809_02_02.jpgimg_180809_02_03.jpgimg_180809_03_05.jpgimg_180809_03_06.jpg

Also, the Female Eevee Starter gets a new Gender Difference

female-eevee.png

Regular Eevee don’t look any different, regardless of whether they are male or female. But if you get a female Eevee as your partner, you’ll find that its tail seems to be marked by a heart-like pattern! But this is only the case for partner Eevee!

Well at least someone remembers Jessie and James had Ekans and Koffing at some point.

Well it is gen 1, so Koffing and Ekans are expected - especially for early game.

It's definitely looking great, and the music is sounding so sweet on the ears. It's going to be a fun one, I can tell.

I mean I understand this games seriously for super beginners but damn if it's not literally holding your hand through it. And tightly at that.

Still getting it though

Yeah, I've heard people complimenting the graphics and I always have to ask... are we looking at the same game here? The games look completely unremarkable in terms of their art and graphics.

I seriously have no idea what to make of these games. Because on the one hand, the games seem pretty intent on taking some pretty extreme creative liberty with Pokemon Yellow, but in others it looks like they seem to want to want to make it a 1:1 ratio of the original game(s).

I don't know, it just comes across as people lowering their standards when it comes to Pokemon, this series has gotten away with the kind of crap that other franchises like Call of Duty could even dream to get away with. Gamefreak's technical incompetence? Archaic game design that's been the same since 1996? Balancing issues with all the power creep, and Gamefreak's unwillingness to sort out legacy features? Stale and formulaic design?

You know, I haven't followed this series for 15 years, I only decided to look at the crib notes of the games and the anime to see what I missed, and I'm amazed by how little I truly actually did miss, and what little that's new has me stunned to how in-congruent it is. It really does come off that Gamefreak can sit there and throw out these games once or twice a generation, and people will sit there and buy them in the tens of millions.

It's not like I don't like Pokemon. I actually recently revisited the Indigo League of anime and played through Crystal, and I'm actually surprised how much I found those experiences appealing. I'm just stunned by how much the Pokemon brand gets away with.

I do think that Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee appear to have stunningly boring visual design.  It's so basic and inorganic, as if they had no higher ambition than to recreate the originals with all their technical limitations, and so the map designs are oversimplified and confined to rigid, featureless grids.  There's no passion.  I really hope the games are being made on a low budget and aren't indicative of what we can expect from Gen VIII, as it honestly looks worse than Sun/Moon on the 3DS.

Keeping it fully on-the-grid, so to speak, is the only thing I'm not happy about, but what would they realistically do to break out of that in a remake of a game that was fully designed on such a system? If you completely redesign the towns - even keeping to the basic path layouts - there comes a point where it may as well be a new game completely.

7 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Keeping it fully on-the-grid, so to speak, is the only thing I'm not happy about, but what would they realistically do to break out of that in a remake of a game that was fully designed on such a system? If you completely redesign the towns - even keeping to the basic path layouts - there comes a point where it may as well be a new game completely.

Not necessarily. If it still keeps the original story beats, Pokemon selection, and city/badge order...

Despite these looking pretty bland and like any other HD game, I would play these if I had a Switch. Still, there's something in these games that does not appeal me like the games I have been playing lately: Gen 2, 4, 5 and Alpha Sapphire. I would still try these. 

This looks like a cell phone game or a waggle fest Wii game. Carnival Games with Pokemon. The art style is absolutely atrocious for the human characters.

But still, Yellow remake...

• Chuckle 1

20 hours ago, DarkRula said:

Considering Kanto's layout is far from the best, I wouldn't have minded that at all. It would have been really interesting to see a reimagined Kanto with only the broad strokes being the same, as Panda said.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Tornado said:

This looks like a cell phone game or a waggle fest Wii game. Carnival Games with Pokemon. The art style is absolutely atrocious for the human characters.

But still, Yellow remake...

While I'll agree the art style isn't prefect... But the idea it's absolutely atrocious seems like a far stretch. I mean it's just a simple cartoon design with a fairly chibi style... and while again it could be done better, I don't see how it's super awful. Besides from them adding more details to it or just doing a more detailed Pokemon Sun & Moon style... I don't see to much else they can do without just doing a completely different art style. Well if they could come up with something that matches the series official artworks better, then yeah that'd be cool.

People have compared it to looking like a spruced up 3DS game...and I don't entirely disagree. Now, I'm not saying it looks bad, I kinda like the graphics, and I might still get the game, but I won't disagree with people who say the Switch is capable of better. Granted, this is Game Freak's first turn at bat for the Switch; I expect Gen 8 to look a little better, at least, what with more experience under their belt.

8 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

While I'll agree the art style isn't prefect... But the idea it's absolutely atrocious seems like a far stretch.

img_180809_02_02.jpg&key=0e13914b3be9701

hqdefault.jpg

I mean it's just a simple cartoon design with a fairly chibi style... and while again it could be done better, I don't see how it's super awful. Besides from them adding more details to it or just doing a more detailed Pokemon Sun & Moon style... I don't see to much else they can do without just doing a completely different art style. Well if they could come up with something that matches the series official artworks better, then yeah that'd be cool.

You're perfectly entitled to disagree, but this looks drastically worse than the farmed out and-actually-on-a-cell-phone game that this is an enhanced continuation of in concept; and on top of that the art style looks that bad when its supposed to be a nostalgia grab back to a time when the series wasn't so cookie cutter. It doesn't even bother to be consistent with itself. It's as bad as when Game Freak decided that 1337 tween motion looked fine for animating sprites when they didn't want to put in the effort again of, you know, actually drawing animation frames.

My main worry with this game is that it will be very barebones story wise. Look at how revamped the Gen 3 remakes were. A few towns got a significant upgrade from the original. And a few changes to the story were added too and some NPC's were given more depth to them.

Let's Go right now doesn't look like it has any of that. Just a 1:1 remake in HD. It's been mentioned Mewtwo will have more a role in the story but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything major. This whole game just looked like a huge missed opportunity to actually go crazy with a Kanto revisit after all these years. It's such a disappointment they went this direction instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Tornado said:

You're perfectly entitled to disagree, but this looks drastically worse than the farmed out and-actually-on-a-cell-phone game that this is an enhanced continuation of in concept; and on top of that the art style looks that bad when its supposed to be a nostalgia grab back to a time when the series wasn't so cookie cutter. It doesn't even bother to be consistent with itself. It's as bad as when Game Freak decided that 1337 tween motion looked fine for animating sprites when they didn't want to put in the effort again of, you know, actually drawing animation frames.

I mean, this is the same studio who had to entirely recode the first generation, just because switching the font broke the games. Game Freak was never known for their technical competence. I mean, even to this day, the 3DS games don't look all that good, and suffer from performance issues.

Hell, I remember Tembo having issues. Fucking Tembo.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:13 AM, Tornado said:

img_180809_02_02.jpg&key=0e13914b3be9701

hqdefault.jpg

I don’t really see the similarity between the 2 pics you posted, they look nothing alike to me. And nothing you said really explains why you think the game's style looks bad nor says what you'd want instead beyond the vague concept that it looks like a cheap phone game to you… which doesn’t really say much. And if you were referring to Pokemon Go… Then I don’t see how this looks any worse. The humans on the Pokemon Go App don’t even match the main series official design style for humans… And the Pokemon themselves are the exact same models which also were from the 3DS games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been so uninvested  in these games, I forgot they existed lol.

I can take things being different, but this basically Gen 1 on Casual mode. Which I guess is fine since they're targeting the casual crowd from GO, but man...I've never been more ambivalent to a pokemon game before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I don’t really see the similarity between the 2 pics you posted, they look nothing alike to me. And nothing you said really explains why you think the game's style looks bad nor says what you'd want instead beyond the vague concept that it looks like a cheap phone game to you… which doesn’t really say much.

Ah. I see where this is going. I said why I think the art style is atrocious; enough to make me nearly completely lose interest in a game I had been thinking about getting. You can accept that for what it is (which from the start was saying it reminds me a lot of shovelware Wii and mobile games, as well as the times in the past where Game Freak hasn't even gotten to a level that could be called phoning it in) or not, but I'm not interested in playing "justify your opinion on something subjective so I can say you're wrong for thinking differently".

Enjoy your Yellow remakes, I guess. I'm sure Game Freak they will eventually put actual effort into a Switch game one day.

• Thumbs Up 1