Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing leaked from Walmart Database

Wraith

I just noticed that the Walmart description mentions car customization. So, I guess you might be able to get Sonic in a red car! \o/

27 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

@MarcelloYou'd need to balance the Speed/Fly/Power roster either way, so at this point you could just go for the existing teams.

Even without considering existing teams, we'd have Sonic, Shadow, Amy, Metal Sonic and ??? (Blaze?) for Speed

Tails, Rouge, Egg Pawn(?), Cream, and ??? (Silver?) for Technique

Knuckles, Eggman, Big, Omega and ??? (Vector?) for Power

So pretty much four well-known teams and one made up of left-overs. I remember Crash Nitro Kart also had some weird choices, with character being brainwashed in order to switch teams.

Do they need to be balanced? I imagine the differences will be similar to the weight classes in Mario Kart, so nothing much. Nothing will be gated like in Heroes.

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

Looks... Ugly? 

Wisps as the weapons? Not even that creative. Pass. Enough shoving these things into every game, FFS. Just 15 characters? Yep, expect the obvious same ones. There goes any chance of having different cool characters like the Heavies, Tikal or Chaos... We're getting Big at best.

Planet Wisp? Eh, at least it's not Green Hill.

To be fair, it's not like previous Sumo SEGA racers had particularly iconic weapons. Remember Bee©? Or Baseball Mitt©?

I'd say Wisps are a decent step up.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

The moment I leave school...

this happens

Hey, at least it isn't from Walmart Canada....

Spoiler

what do you mean you don't know what Walmart Canada did, they leaked stuff that were supposed to saved up for E3 but that's besides the point

Can't say I'm surprised about the number of playable characters. I honestly wanted to keep my expectations low and only expected like 10 characters, but somehow I'm still disappointed.

Since the game's description says "15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe," then you can bet your ass that Classic Sonic is in. As for Sonic Boom, they'll either put in Boom Sonic or Sticks.

As for the other characters, I'm not sure. But you'd think they'd have more characters when the entire game is based on Teams. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

Can't say I'm surprised about the number of playable characters. I honestly wanted to keep my expectations low and only expected like 10 characters, but somehow I'm still disappointed.

Since the game's description says "15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe," then you can bet your ass that Classic Sonic is in. As for Sonic Boom, they'll either put in Boom Sonic or Sticks.

As for the other characters, I'm not sure. But you'd think they'd have more characters when the entire game is based on Teams. lol

Classic Sonic will not be in it because what team will he be in? Besides, he was only forced into Sonic Forces for the 2D classic gameplay. I don't think anyone would want black-eyes Sonic for a game not his style.

Keep the good Sonic Heroes Roster.

• Thumbs Up 1

People really freaking out on Twitter about this being a Switch exclusive.

Pretty sure SEGA ar done with the Nintendo exclusives right?

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Classic Sonic will not be in it because what team will he be in? Besides, he was only forced into Sonic Forces for the 2D classic gameplay. I don't think anyone would want black-eyes Sonic for a game not his style.

Keep the good Sonic Heroes Roster.

Actually, this is a game I'd love seeing Classic Sonic in.

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

why, because of Mania Plus?

Wisps as weapon can be creative and fun to use, but at this point, and this is totally my opinion BTW, just the sight of them is a turn off to me... they're a part of the Modern Sonic branch as much as the rings at this point. Wasn't the point of Sonic Colors saving these aliens' planet so they can live free again? We've being using them as ammunation for 2 games in a row now :lol:

Why not have Sonic-y things as weapons? Bubble shield that makes you bounce, the bomb badniks from Sonic 1 you can throw or drop at other players, something crazy like Master Emerald's shards you can drop on the track and ruin other vehicles tires, or a Chemical Plant gun that shoots pink goo that blocks other players vision... Nah, Wisps. Again. I love it.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

Then do a game with only Classic Characters in green hill.

Where's the fun in young Sonic racing against his older version and his older friends he doesn't know nor have any chemistry with? That's not fun. Classic Sonic has no place in this game.

6 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

People really freaking out on Twitter about this being a Switch exclusive.

Pretty sure SEGA ar done with the Nintendo exclusives right?

I think SEGA will never be done with Nintendo exclusive Sonic games, they're probably working on a Switch exclusive right now.

But as for Team Sonic Racing, it would be suicide to make it Switch exclusive, like how could they hope to compete with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? On PS4 and Xbox One, on the other hand, there are no Kart Racers like Mario or Sonic (besides some rumors of Crash Racing remake), so they'd have a better chance there.

25 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wisps as the weapons? Not even that creative. Pass. Enough shoving these things into every game, FFS

Much as I really dislike those guys out of Colours (although Generations makes sense), I think this is actually the perfect use for them. For one, Planet Wisp is part of this game. With the included story/adventure mode they actually make sense here, unlike in Forces and Lost World. Being a spin-off racing game I'm not really sure that plot should matter that much, but it's still nice. Wisps have existed in the franchise for about 8 years now, each time residing in capsules and providing special power ups. They make sense from a gameplay perspective here too. I only hope that they aren't too much of a focus, like the items are in Mario Kart. ASRT used a great and limited set of power ups. Although incredibly boring and generic in design, each was fun to use and the racing was still much more about skill than power ups. With 14 different Wisps available in this game (out of a total of 16) it sounds like a bit more of a Mario Kart style racer.

2 minutes ago, MarioAmigosYT said:

why, because of Mania Plus?

No, I just like Classic Sonic. I have a problem with SEGA relying on nostalgia in their main games but in a spin-off? Go crazy.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Then do a game with only Classic Characters in green hill.

Where's the fun in young Sonic racing against his older version and his older friends he doesn't know nor have any chemistry with? That's not fun. Classic Sonic has no place in this game.

I really don't care who he knows or has chemistry with. I just want to play the characters I like. I think he has a place.

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

No, I just like Classic Sonic. I have a problem with SEGA relying on nostalgia in their main games but in a spin-off? Go crazy.

oh k.

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I really don't care who he knows or has chemistry with. I just want to play the characters I like. I think he has a place.

Ok, then only trial mode and not story mode. Keep him out of story mode.

Reg the screenshot debate.

Sega really post process their screens for every game they release. 

Don't wanna sound like a "Too early to tell" guy, but when it comes to these, it just looks like someone put an Instagram low fi filter on them after they were rendered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know Wisps still feel like a fairly modern addition to the franchise, but Sonic Colours DID come out in 2010.  That game is eight years old now.  Kids who grew up with Sonic from that point are about 12 or so now, the tailend of their exact demographic, and to those kids, Wisps have been in all but two of the mainline Sonic titles released in their lifetime.

Foreign as they are to longtime fans, Wisps have been in more Sonic titles than the elemental shields of Sonic 3.  They are absolutely a part of modern Sonic's identity now.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

I know Wisps still feel like a fairly modern addition to the franchise, but Sonic Colours DID come out in 2010.  That game is eight years old now.  Kids who grew up with Sonic from that point are about 12 or so now, the tailend of their exact demographic, and to those kids, Wisps have been in four out of the six mainline Sonic games in their lifetime, weird as that is to imagine, five out of seven if you count Runners.

Foreign as they are to longtime fans, Wisps have been in more Sonic titles than the elemental shields of Sonic 3.  They are absolutely a part of modern Sonic's identity now.

Man I'm feeling old. I still consider Sonic Colors as it came out last year :D

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I know Wisps still feel like a fairly modern addition to the franchise, but Sonic Colours DID come out in 2010.  That game is eight years old now.  Kids who grew up with Sonic from that point are about 12 or so now, the tailend of their exact demographic, and to those kids, Wisps have been in all but two of the mainline Sonic titles released in their lifetime.

I think we all understand this and we hate it. People wanted the Wisps gone by Sonic Lost World, but they kept pushing them and it got extremely annoying, I hate the Wisps with every fiber of my being because of how much they're forced into the new games and how much they murder creativity and replace other playable characters.

Imagine if we had Sonic-themed pick-up items, some people here made good examples on it. The Wisps could've been a single pick-up item, they didn't have to make ALL the items be Wisps, that's just extremely lazy.

And just to clarify, I was 11-12 years old when Sonic Colors came out.

• Thumbs Up 4

Tbh, Wisps are better than generic kart racer weapons. I know people still dislike them though, I understand them.

As for the roster:

Seems like characters like Jet and Classic Sonic are not in it, they would have been a focus so they would be in the boxart but they aren't present, so likely absent. 

I doubt anything from Boom will appear, Sticks' chances are already slim sadly.

No Omega for sure in Team Dark, I bet, likely to be replaced by Metal Sonic or Egg Pawn or Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Tbh, Wisps are better than generic kart racer weapons. I know people still dislike them though, I understand them.

As for the roster:

Seems like characters like Jet and Classic Sonic are not in it, they would have been a focus so they would be in the boxart but they aren't present, so likely absent. 

I doubt anything from Boom will appear, Sticks' chances are already slim sadly.

No Omega for sure in Team Dark, I bet, likely to be replaced by Metal Sonic or Egg Pawn or Eggman.

I don’t see how Jet is worthy of focus.

I do now somewhat doubt Classic Sonic is in but I’d love for him to show up. I prefer him to Modern and it’d be great to see Sumo follow through with their idea of reviving the drift car (was planned for Transformed IIRC)

...actually given they floated Classic for Transformed, I suppose if anything that makes him getting in here more likely

Based Wal-Mart back with the leaks. 

Anyways, highly excited for the game because after the previous two racers, I know Sumo Digital can do no wrong (I'm really sure they're the ones developing this). Whether or not this will beat Transformed remains to be seen (Favorite racer of all time now), but to honestly... While I think it sucks that we're moving away from SEGA characters and into strictly Sonic, the fact that the game has only 15 playable characters is a huge blow. That's pretty underwhelming. There's so many Sonic characters that could be used for and I'm sure only the main/obvious characters will be used to fill in the roster. Hopefully there's some DLC racers added to this. 

Other than that, nice to have more Planet Wisp and I don't mind the Wisp being used as items here. It does make sense and gives that original flavor for Sonic here instead of regular items that could be used like what was used in previous All-Star Racing games.

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

I don’t see how Jet is worthy of focus.

I do now somewhat doubt Classic Sonic is in but I’d love for him to show up. I prefer him to Modern and it’d be great to see Sumo follow through with their idea of reviving the drift car (was planned for Transformed IIRC)

...actually given they floated Classic for Transformed, I suppose if anything that makes him getting in here more likely

Jet was a protagonist in the Riders series, so I thought they at least included him, but I'm not sure...

Classic Sonic could be DLC cash grab, I believe. It would be the perfect opportunity.