Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing leaked from Walmart Database

Wraith

Wow! What the hell is that? Could just be the guy who waves the flag maybe?

8 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Here's the full-size box-art in case Walmart takes it down: https://imgur.com/a/JEO8qHY

aaand it's deleted.

Shoot, and deleted just when I was opening it as a full-sized picture...!

EDIT: It was an error :S

Oh, who am I kidding. It's probably Eggman. Would definitely explain the eyes.

Just dyed his mustache white for a disguise or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look at the high-res version of the boxart. That's not Mario, nor is it Orbot and Cubot. Looks more like another Eggman "King Doc" disguise or a robot opponent for Adventure mode.

Also not surprised this might be another low-budget title they can put out at a lower price, saw this coming after Forces. It looks like the transformation aspect has been completely dropped, which disappoints me quite a bit, but again not surprised. I really thought there would be some on-foot racing segments or some other unique mechanic for this other than Team racing, but we'll see I guess, they might have taken a more basic approach for now in case this becomes a new racing series in the end.

With the whole team angle going on, we should also be able to predict the character roster pretty easily. No Chaotix mobile for us, I fear.

We have...

- Sonic, Tails and Knuckles for Team Sonic, obviously

- Team Dark, thanks to Shadow, Rouge will probably be along for the ride as well as Omega. An alternative for Omega would be Eggman, but I'm not sure were that would leave Egg Pawn, unless that's just an Adventure mode opponent.

- Team Eggman, consisting of Egg Pawn, Eggman and Metal Sonic, the latter two who were in previous racing titles

Now that leaves place for two more teams. Either Team Chaotix or Silver/Blaze/Cream/Big might not make the cut here.

- Amy is a staple so she will need a team, Sumo Digital also adore Big the Cat so they would definitely try getting him in if allowed to (and I don't see there trouble since he's in Lego Dimensions and Speed Battle), as for the "Technique" member I guess it could go to either Cream, Blaze or Sticks. Blaze could also replace Big for Power.

Now we have a certain Trunks the Hedgehog left who's another spin-off staple, but the problem is he doesn't go in any team unless you count him standing next to Blaze and Cream in Generations, but Cream would have to be with Amy. This makes me a little worried for the Chaotix not making it in, since Charmy tends to be left out of spin-offs. The prototype for All-Stars Racing had Vector, Espio, Blaze, Silver and Rouge as well as Cream as a tag-along for Amy.

There's of course also the chance they might go the way of Free Riders and putting Vector on Team Rose/Egg Pawn on Team Dark, but it would limit their ability of releasing a DLC team. So the options I see are:

- Team Sonic, Dark, Eggman, "Rose" (Amy, Cream/Silver and Blaze) and Chaotix

- Team Sonic, Dark, Eggman, Heroes Rose and the Whatevers (Blaze, Silver and Sticks?). I see this as more likely at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think the teams will be predetermined. You probably just pick 3 characters and that's your team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hogfather brought this up in a status as a joke but honestly, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense... I'd actually be pretty okay with the Avatar being in this game?

It'd be extra cool if you could import your creation from Forces if you're playing on the same system, but otherwise, everyone says how the Avatar would've fit better in a spin-off game - well, here we are, a spin-off game with a story mode.  The Avatar would be perfect for that, and would allow all Sonic characters to be opponents in the story mode.  I'd certainly prefer that over being forced to play as Sonic, though obviously being allowed to choose whatever character you like (or doing it Riders style where each stage has a locked-in character) would be fine too.  Of course the only awkwardness with an avatar player character for the story would be whether they imply that Sonic knows them or not.  They'd have to make a decision to imply that the avatar was the one who fought alongside in Forces or not, which would create awkwardness for players who want to make a new avatar or players who want to re-use/re-create their Forces Avatar depending on whether the writers decide to let Sonic "know" the avatar character or not in the story.

All that baggage aside... I'd love to play as my Avatar for online races at least, they always made a lot of sense for a more social game (compared to the limited way you can interact with other players' avatars in Forces).

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't think the teams will be predetermined. You probably just pick 3 characters and that's your team.

I don't think so, predetermined Teams would be kind of required for a Story Mode, and there's also the focus on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles on the box-art as well as the Speed/Technique/Power angle.

Just now, LukA8 said:

I don't think so, predetermined Teams would be kind of required for a Story Mode, and there's also the focus on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles on the box-art as well as the Speed/Technique/Power angle.

For story mode, you could have Sonic/Tails/Knuckles as your own team, but the other teams could pair up differently depending on what's currently happening in the story.

Oh, just a random sobering thought but... when coming up with our cramped potential 15 character lists... remember there's an above average chance that Classic Sonic might get one of those slots.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My thoughts shortly: It doesn't seem like anything really exciting. The Wisps are back AGAIN, this is gonna make a lot of people angry, but I like them, so it's okay for me. Adventure mode and Online is all I needed, plus missions, perhaps? The team gimmick is nothing special, I'm interested in seeing what the "co-op moves" are.

The biggest letdown is the roster, Egg Pawns as racers are ugh, but if there is an Adventure mode I bet they need to have all robots for races, like in Riders, meh. Why only 15? I mean, it literally makes no sense, they have 12 players in a race, there needs to be at least a 24 character roster, what is taking so much space for them to not add those? I'm confused, it's probably the customization, isn't it? A pity, because I like customization.

If they are divided into teams, I'm gonna try this too:

- Egg Pawns

- Dr. Eggman

- Team Hero: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

- Team Dark: Shadow, Rouge, Metal Sonic

- Team Rose: Amy, Cream, Blaze (?)

Plus: Silver, Vector, Espio/Sticks/Jet (?)

Let's try in character types:

Speed: Sonic, Shadow, Amy, Metal Sonic, Espio/Sticks/Jet/Classic Sonic (?)

Flight: Tails, Rouge, Cream, Silver, 

Power: Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, Blaze (?), Vector

All types: Egg Pawn

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman (King Doc), Shadow, Rouge, Metal Sonic, Vector, Silver, Blaze, Egg Pawn, Cream are safe bets.

That leaves 2 characters.

Its 2 out of these 4: Espio/Sticks/Jet/Classic Sonic

What do you think of my math?

@MarcelloYou'd need to balance the Speed/Fly/Power roster either way, so at this point you could just go for the existing teams.

Even without considering existing teams, we'd have Sonic, Shadow, Amy, Metal Sonic and ??? (Blaze?) for Speed

Tails, Rouge, Egg Pawn(?), Cream, and ??? (Silver?) for Technique

Knuckles, Eggman, Big, Omega and ??? (Vector?) for Power

So pretty much four well-known teams and one made up of left-overs. I remember Crash Nitro Kart also had some weird choices, with character being brainwashed in order to switch teams.

Wait. Are the actual Wisps in the game or just speculation because Planet Wisp is a stage?

1 minute ago, DiamondX said:

Wait. Are the actual Wisps in the game or just speculation because Planet Wisp is a stage?

The actual description said there's gonna be Wisps. 14 of them to be exact

Could they choose a more unoriginal title? Honestly bummed it isn't Super Sonic Racing.

Initial reaction is slightly underwhelmed but ASRT was fantastic so I've got confidence in Sumo

7 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Oh, just a random sobering thought but... when coming up with our cramped potential 15 character lists... remember there's an above average chance that Classic Sonic might get one of those slots.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And Boom Sonic gets another!

• Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

The actual description said there's gonna be Wisps. 14 of them to be exact

Oh. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

And Boom Sonic gets another!

He is nowhere near the cover disc, nor the screenshot.

Hopefully he will not appear.

@Jack the ManiacA very nice prediction! I think all the characters who were in All-Stars will return here, including Metal Sonic and Big, since Steve Lycett expressed his wish of putting Big back into Transformed. With Egg Pawn along for the ride, Team Sonic, Dark, Rose and an Eggman Empire team are pretty much confirmed, giving Cream, Blaze and Omega rather high chances. The Chaotix and Silver are the question marks here, but wasn't there some poll from S0L were Silver ended up really high?  Either way, I don't doubt Silver is in there somewhere. I don't see the Babylon Rogues joining, although Wave did have a model in Transformed I believe?

Well......15 characters is definately way smaller than expected, and by SUMO Digital no less.

Was expecting at least 25 for the base roster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks... Ugly? 

Wisps as the weapons? Not even that creative. Pass. Enough shoving these things into every game, FFS. Just 15 characters? Yep, expect the obvious same ones. There goes any chance of having different cool characters like the Heavies, Tikal or Chaos... We're getting Big at best.

Planet Wisp? Eh, at least it's not Green Hill.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

He is nowhere near the cover disc, nor the screenshot.

Hopefully he will not appear.

Neither is classic Sonic.

Merry new year!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jango said:

Looks... Ugly? 

Wisps as the weapons? Not even that creative. Pass. Enough shoving these things into every game, FFS. Just 15 characters? Yep, expect the obvious same ones. There goes any chance of having different cool characters like the Heavies, Tikal or Chaos... We're getting Big at best.

Planet Wisp? Eh, at least it's not Green Hill.

Wait to see it in motion

Wait to see how they will be used

Wait to see the roster

Why would you think you were getting any character you  mentioned?

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Wait to see it in motion

Wait to see how they will be used

Wait to see the roster

Why would you think you were getting any character you  mentioned?

I'm analysing what I've been given :V 

I will wait to see it in motion, but right from the bat, I don't like it. 

Customizing vehicles sounds cool tho'.

Oh wow and right after Sonic's twitter teased something XD

Yeah it seems that if there are only 15 characters, we at least have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Egg Pawn, what appears to be Amy, and a blue Egg Pawn.

I'm guessing the blue egg pawn is an alternate colour for people wanting to play as the same racer, OR Egg Pawns are fillers in the "Adventure" mode, and you can only play as an orange one outside Adventure mode.

It's a shame the roster's so tiny. I guess it's going with the team mechanic, so 15 makes it 5 pairs of 3. I guess extrapolating on that, we can at least guarantee Rouge and Omega for Team Dark (Unless Omega's replaced. Poor guy got relegated to a flashlight in Runner's plot, and was deactivated all Forces, so I hope he gets attention).

Also, Amy has to be in, meaning Team Rose should at least re-appear (So Cream and Big). Big is too meme-worthy for them to cut judging by how popular he's been with Sonic's social media staff.

Chaotix are a possibility, bringing our roster to 13. Unless that King/Cop looking robot is playable, I'm sure the remaining slots are Eggman and Metal Sonic.

(If Blaze and Silver are cut, that'd be such a shame. I hope they mean "over 15" and you begin with 15 racers and can unlock more).

• Thumbs Up 1