Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing leaked from Walmart Database

Wraith

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

I don’t see how Jet is worthy of focus.

I do now somewhat doubt Classic Sonic is in but I’d love for him to show up. I prefer him to Modern and it’d be great to see Sumo follow through with their idea of reviving the drift car (was planned for Transformed IIRC)

...actually given they floated Classic for Transformed, I suppose if anything that makes him getting in here more likely

Keep him out of this game. It's better to do a Sonic-Drif 3D revival.

Wisps have been horribly handled post-Colours...

Spoiler

tho' unlike most I haven't become tired of 'em, conceptually. I just hate how useless they became. They went from being able to access "a few" to "absolutely zero" alternate paths. No puzzles either now that I think about it, by LW/Forces they're entirely used to get through a section easier...or on occasion, mandatory to progress--which again, unlike most I don't mind in itself, if anything I prefer that to "Use Eagle to fly! Oh, no, there's nowhere you can go with it that you can't normally. Well, bye." Ugh.

...but I chalk that up to the devs more than anything. I'm especially not fussed about it in the context of a spin-off.

Side note, but regarding the screenshot that has an Egg Pawn and a Flapper: maybe badniks are NPC racers only or something?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

Wisps have been horribly handled post-Colours...

Reveal hidden contents

tho' unlike most I haven't become tired of 'em, conceptually. I just hate how useless they became. They went from being able to access "a few" to "absolutely zero" alternate paths. No puzzles either now that I think about it, by LW/Forces they're entirely used to get through a section easier (or on occasion, mandatory to progress). Ugh.

...but I chalk that up to the devs more than anything. I'm especially not fussed about it in the context of a spin-off.

The problem is that the Wisps are being used instead of being creative and making Sonic-themed items, like Jango said

49 minutes ago, Jango said:

Why not have Sonic-y things as weapons? Bubble shield that makes you bounce, the bomb badniks from Sonic 1 you can throw or drop at other players, something crazy like Master Emerald's shards you can drop on the track and ruin other vehicles tires, or a Chemical Plant's gun that shoots pink goo that blocks other players vision... Nah, Wisps. Again. I love it.

They could have Wisps in the game, maybe as a single item, but 14 of them? Man, talk about lazy and uncreative.

The Wisps could work perfectly as one of those overpowered "cheapy" power-ups (the ones you get when you're in last place) , like the FINAL COLOR BLAST. It pushes you forward destroying everyone on your way. But every power-up being a Wisp is fucking depressing.

I don't buy this "they're here for over 8 years now, deal with it" excuses. Everytime a main series game is announced and the Wisps pop-up you guys complain. Did we reach the point of accepting it now? Like, eh, 'kay, could be nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Keep him out of this game. It's better to do a Sonic-Drif 3D revival.

Nah. I actually like Sonic Drift somewhat, but I don’t see the point in tying Classic to its gameplay. Might as well throw him in this since he’s popular and the gameplay is likely to at least be pretty solid.

I just hope the one x and 4 versions get a more graphical bump. But so far it looks good as intake most these shots are from the switch but I'm excited

26 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

They could have Wisps in the game, maybe as a single item, but 14 of them? Man, talk about lazy and uncreative.

I mean, I won't argue that more conceptually varied items wouldn't have been cool. I don't think it's lazy or uncreative, but for me it entirely depends on what the powers are.

At the end of the day I'll only complain if Wisps replace the music when you use 'em. Removing that was arguably the best thing Forces did.

...Also I guess the "Team Ultimate" is gonna be the equivalent of All-Star Moves? Though it sounds like rather than a power up you probably charge it up ala Team Blasts or something. Can't believe Sonic Heroes 2 is finally happening

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

11 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

The problem is that the Wisps are being used instead of being creative and making Sonic-themed items, like Jango said

Okay, but that's not inherent to the Wisps. They can be creative Sonic-themed items that aren't lazy, especially since there is quite a large variety of them with unique abilities to work with for a kart racer. Ultimately, its down to execution... which admittedly recent titles don't inspire a lot of confidence in, but that again doesn't mean that they're inherently uncreative or inherently lazy or that this game in particular will execute them poorly.

-----------

As for the rest, honestly, not bad. I don't mind the limited character cast so much-- keep in mind earlier Mario Kart games had a cast of 8 racers and they're still fun with a good variety of characters. Whether or not it was done because of the memory constraints of old consoles, my point is that its not unprecedented for the genre and doesn't mean that the cast can't be varied in its own right. I quite like the overall design aestetic of the maybe-Planet-Wisp level, and the idea of kart customization is intriguing.

If Sega's using their own servers for online (which could be justified if the game was multiplatform, so that players can connect with anybody in the world regardless of what console they own) and not Nintendo's, that'd actually give it quite a big edge over Mario Kart for me and they'd avoid the trainwreck that is Nintendo's online situation.

• Promotion 1

God, am I the only one who thinks it should be name "Sonic Team Racing"? It sounds better that way.

Please Team Classic and some out there characters from the past, too (Like, I don't know, a better character creation engine).

Alternate looks for the characters would be awesome, too

If Classic versions get in I hope they update their models to resemble their Mania selves more. Can't stand the ugly model that's been hanging around since Generations.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Jango said:

I don't buy this "they're here for over 8 years now, deal with it" excuses. Everytime a main series game is announced and the Wisps pop-up you guys complain. Did we reach the point of accepting it now? Like, eh, 'kay, could be nice.

Some people saying X didn't necessarily say Y in the past.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here but c'mon.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Absolutely 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

God, am I the only one who thinks it should be name "Sonic Team Racing"? It sounds better that way.

Might be too similar to another Kart racing game.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWhcq-yfjqymSqVK8Z6lB

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

They said 15 Sonic characters, so is it possible there may be more characters that aren't from the Sonic series? Like, Sega characters or guest stars?

Insert Paul Rudd joke here.

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Please have fringe-yet-fan-favorite character in here, SEGA!

*looks at your username, member title, and signature*...Tails is fringe? I mean, he's been through some tough times recently as far as fan reception goes, but...

Spoiler

I'M KIDDING. I'm curious who you're talking about actually.

• Chuckle 2

I just want to say that I think the whole "team" and defined "Speed", "Power" etc roles thing is even dumber in a racing game where the characters aren't using their own abilities. There should be even less reasons for those restrictions.

15 characters is a bit disappointing, it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to add more but SEGA said no.

Wisps are meh. The visuals don't look great.

Sad to say, but I'm not super interested in this one.

If I have to say something positive, vehicle customization is something new for these games, so that could potentially be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Celestia said:

*looks at your username, member title, and signature*...Tails is fringe? I mean, he's been through some tough times recently as far as fan reception goes, but...

Reveal hidden contents

I'M KIDDING. I'm curious who you're talking about actually.

Like characters who are out in left feel such as Marine, Blaze, Silver, the Chaotix, Deadly Six, etc. who are rarely if ever playable

My 15 Slots (Confirmed in Bold)

1. Sonic (Cover)
  2. Mile "Tails" Prower (Cover)
  3. Knuckles (Cover)
  4. Amy Rose
  5. Cream
  6. Big
  7. Shadow
  8. Rouge
  9. Metal Sonic
  10. Tails Doll (Hinted at by the R)
  11. Metal Knuckles (Hinted at by the R)
  12. Dr. Eggman
  13. Vector
  14. Charmy
  15. Espio 

Possible (Likely) alternates:
Jet, Wave, Storm, Classic Sonic, Classic Tails,  Blaze, Silver, Marine, Custom Character

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

If I have to say something positive, vehicle customization is something new for these games, so that could potentially be interesting.

They'll probably be just the mods from Transformed that change your stats.

Personally, I would to see an option to change the vehicle to a motorcycle or even an Extreme Gear.

Trying anything they can to keep this from being STR I see?

On a serious note, i'm actually pretty interested in this from the looks of it. It's a shame we're ditching the transform mechanic (but I always knew they would switch it up for a next installment) but this new team mechanic intrigues me greatly, maybe it could be something like crash tag team racing where characters can fuse cars (only less broken) and they can have some driving techniques that you can execute with a team member that increases your speed. Then again, if i'm constantly in a higher spot than the partner or vice versa then I don't see how that could work.

I'm hoping that they have a difficulty option that is as hard as the 2nd games. Don't think I could really go back to simple AI after that one (and speed too if it's tied to difficulty again). Also, I really love sonic and shadow's new designs, not feeling knuckles' seemingly watered down tri-bike though.

Other characters:

Truly Fringe (Way out there):

Zavok, Zeena, Werehog Sonic, Vanilla, Tikal, Emerl, Sticks, Chaos, Infinite, Tangle, Nega

Not happening (But still would be cool:

Zooey, Archie Characters, Shade

Not Happening (And would be slightly weird):

Maria, Gerald, Meme characters, etc,

It's exciting to hear that it has a story mode.  Or perhaps, more accurately, it's interesting; it's going to be interesting to see how it holds up to the main games and to the story modes in other comparable spin-offs.  I look forward to being able to make a comparison.

The Team mechanic presumably obliges you to form teams of speed/power/technique only, one of each, which means the number of variations may feel relatively limited at five per slot even if the overall number of combinations is quite high (one hundred and twenty-five, isn't it?).

The Team mechanic also means, presumably, that any potential DLC would have to introduce three new characters at a time.

Can I just say...

Spoiler

I FOOKIN CALLED IT! THE WISPS BEING POWER-UPS! I'd link the comment where I said it.

• Nice Smile 1

Looks pretty dull to me. Not that I had much hope after the teaser, but I'm not seeing anything that makes this more than "a racing game, that Sonic happens to be in", and seeing as I'm not really into racing games that much to start with, it's not really offering anything that I'm into. Maybe they've still got some secrets that'll show up once we get a proper announcement and trailer, but I doubt it.

Just now, FFWF said:

It's exciting to hear that it has a story mode.  Or perhaps, more accurately, it's interesting; it's going to be interesting to see how it holds up to the main games and to the story modes in other comparable spin-offs.  I look forward to being able to make a comparison.

The Team mechanic presumably obliges you to form teams of speed/power/technique only, one of each, which means the number of variations may feel relatively limited at five per slot even if the overall number of combinations is quite high (one hundred and twenty-five, isn't it?).

The Team mechanic also means, presumably, that any potential DLC would have to introduce three new characters at a time.

I'm guessing the teams will be (To start): Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark, Team Metal/Eggman, and Team Chaotix/Babylon Rouges

DLC could be: Deadly Six, Chaotix/Babylon Rouges, TEam Classic, a team-up of Blaze, Silver, and Marine, and a custom character team

AN interesting one that won't happen would be  Sticks, Tangle, and some other character outside the main universe...

Or there could always be brand new characters...