Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Reveal Trailer

Patron

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

There's also the fact even Free Riders treats Vector being on Team Rose as a bizarre one off thing and not a recurring team up. 

Yeah, I forgot to mention that too.

Like, Amy came with two people and then called Vector up a half-hour before the thing started. 

1 hour ago, kergo said:

guys

Reveal hidden contents

would y'all be fine if heavy rider got in the game

i mean she already has a vehicle

No. This two-dimensional character would only weaken the game. 

You know, if we were to go with the whole "Team" thing, wouldn't the Amy/Cream/Big combination be the best?

I mean, Big already was in ASR, same with Amy.

Also, fingers crossed for the Babylonians' return. I mean, these guys are already a team of sorts, and if Sumo had no problem giving Shadow a normal car and not his SASRT GUN vehicle or SASR motorbike, then why would they care about those guys?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jgcatindig said:

Along with Heavy Blaster and Heavy King and you got a deal. 

Who is Heavy Blaster? I guess you meant Heavy Gunner (the cop bot)?

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad the marketing stage is planet wisp and not green hill, but I still think that green hill will be on stage list. Also, "Super Sonic Racing" would be a very mario-ish title (like Super Mario Racing), I'm very fine with Team Sonic Racing (still, that's not the best title for this game).

Hmm, there's no motocycles on this game? Hope this mean the transformed feature is on this game.

Motorbikes were OP, anyway. I think the Babylons could be in, I just find it odd that Shadow is the main spin-off rival and not Jet. Also, I have my doubts that the whole Chaotix is playable, fingers crossed for Team Dimensions if you ask me.

1 hour ago, A person, that exists said:

You know, if we were to go with the whole "Team" thing, wouldn't the Amy/Cream/Big combination be the best?

I mean, Big already was in ASR, same with Amy.

In theory, sure. The problem is the 15 character limit. If we take all the teams from Heroes, we have 12 characters. Add in Eggman's team and that's 15. Problem is, that leaves out Silver and Blaze and I just DON'T buy that they're not going to be in the game.

Seeing as how Big was taken out of the ASR sequel (during a time after Iizuka said they weren't going to be using Big for a while and the internet took that to mean he was being "scrapped")  and how little he's continuing to be used, it feels like he'd be the one they'd take away before those other two. 

I still don't buy this 15 characters bullshit, there will surely be surprises, either guests or Sega characters, or DLC as pre-order bonus. 

7 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I just find it odd that Shadow is the main spin-off rival and not Jet

Of course it would be Shadow. I mean, come on, Shadow's marketable, while Jet... Is probably forgotten by Sega themselves.

7 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Team Dimensions 

Ah, yes, the UNOFFICIAL team of characters who never interacted or appeared together as a team in any of the games.

I think that it's better off for Sega to make Blaze/Marine/Whisker the Blaze team. I mean, at least good ol' Captain INTERACTED with the two.

Not to mention, they would probably make Silver a standalone rival character, like in Gens.

1 hour ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I still don't buy this 15 characters bullshit, there will surely be surprises, either guests or Sega characters, or DLC as pre-order bonus. 

I didn't even think there'd be 15 characters. I was expecting less. 

In hindsight that was probably me being too pessimistic but it's better to expect less nowadays when it comes to Sonic. 

2 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Pink Gold Mecha Metal Sonic Doll Kai 

A good reason to preorder the game if you ask me

Also, now that I think about it, they would probably do the character roster like in Free Riders. 

I mean, the Egg Pawn exists for a reason. I'm pretty sure he would be part of Team Dark, like E-1000 was in Free Riders.

So, assuming that, I imagine it like this:

So, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles will obviously make an appearance as Team Sonic, Shadow and Rouge along with the Egg Pawn make Team Dark, Team Rose would have Amy, Silver/Vector/Infinite/Other random bozo dragged off the street and Cream/Blaze. The last team is a bit of a mystery, but I assume it's either the Babylonians or Team Chaotix. That makes 12 characters. Add Eggman, and maybe Metal, and also that cat/racoon from the box cover, and we get 15 characters.

4 hours ago, kergo said:

guys

Hide contents

would y'all be fine if heavy rider got in the game

i mean she already has a vehicle

I think that'd be great; broadening out the design diversity of the playable cast, and, as you point out, it's a character whose role is based on driving and who has an obvious source for a vehicle design right off the bat.  Given the limited roster, though, I imagine she can't make the cut, both for not being a big enough name and for being Classic-side.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Allow me to be the first.

image.png.e51f0f43583e4829f3562101541ce395.png

he's an Italain-American used car salesman

More evidence of @DabigRG’s theory that sonic characters get fan art fastest when they’re a girl or have a stock-standard Sonic design as opposed to being more exotic. 

And yet... his leopard-print vest is a nice touch, giving him a different flavor from the other Ruby-powered villains so far.

I'm kinda hoping that new guy is either a flagman or a boss, so NPC, or not included in the 15.

So, here's the thing.  I basically spent all of yesterday being annoyed at how completely useless the reveal trailer was.  But today, it occurred to me that it might actually be a little more informative than I realized. 

The trailer was incredibly short and only showed Sonic and Shadow departing from the same garage.  Which is...whatever.  But then the implications started hitting me.

• If they're using the same garage, that implies they're a team.
  • If there's only the two of them, that could imply the game may be built around 2 person teams.
  • Sonic and Shadow don't normally work together, so that would imply that anyone can be teamed up.
  • If the game has 2 person teams, but 3 character types, then you can never have all three types on a single team.  Thus, strategic character choices.
  • The "Team Ultimates" could be based on the character types you've paired up, which would probably mean 6 options.
    • Speed + Speed
    • Speed + Power
    • Speed + Technique
    • Power + Power
    • Power + Technique
    • Technique + Technique
  • 2 person teams would allow for a simple rubberbanding element.  Falling behind your partner could speed you up, getting ahead would slow you down, so it would be in the players' best interest to watch out for and take care of their teammate whenever they can, thus encouraging teamwork.

Honestly, I just think this makes a lot of sense.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

16 minutes ago, G-Force said:

So, here's the thing.  I basically spent all of yesterday being annoyed at how completely useless the reveal trailer was.  But today, it occurred to me that it might actually be a little more informative than I realized. 

The trailer was incredibly short and only showed Sonic and Shadow departing from the same garage.  Which is...whatever.  But then the implications started hitting me.

• If they're using the same garage, that implies they're a team.
  • If there's only the two of them, that could imply the game may be built around 2 person teams.
  • Sonic and Shadow don't normally work together, so that would imply that anyone can be teamed up.
  • If the game has 2 person teams, but 3 character types, then you can never have all three types on a single team.  Thus, strategic character choices.
  • The "Team Ultimates" could be based on the character types you've paired up, which would probably mean 6 options.
    • Speed + Speed
    • Speed + Power
    • Speed + Technique
    • Power + Power
    • Power + Technique
    • Technique + Technique
  • 2 person teams would allow for a simple rubberbanding element.  Falling behind your partner could speed you up, getting ahead would slow you down, so it would be in the players' best interest to watch out for and take care of their teammate whenever they can, thus encouraging teamwork.

Honestly, I just think this makes a lot of sense.

Good eye, I really hope that's the case, and it actually might be that, since it would be weird for them not to tease the team up mechanic, just only Sonic and Shadow competing against each other. Makes a lot of sense indeed.

• Fist Bump 1

Most of the team speculation concerning how they'll be grouped is stuff I figured was for the story. Then in normal mode, you'll most likely be free to team up with whoever you want.

Hmm, I mean it's certainly possible they're going for two-character teams, it would allow for more freedom with the roster and prevent pushing characters like Silver and Blaze into a team, but I don't really get a "Sonic and Shadow cooperating" feeling from the teaser rather than just milking an old rivalry. Coupled with the game's title, the cover and its focus on Sonic, Tails and Knux, the number 15 perfectly matching 5 teams as well as Team Ultimates sounding like All-Star Moves for a character team, I don't buy it quite yet. Or maybe I just want to see the Chaotix performing as a band again : P

Almost certainly going to be three people in a team. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles is a given for the story mode, and there are three character types. Seems pretty certain to me.

So in my estimation, Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles), Team Rose (Amy, Big, Cream), Team Chaotix (Espio, Vector Charmy), Team Dark (Shadow, Rouge, Omega).  and Team Eggman (Eggman, Orbot and Cubot, Metal Sonic). I doubt the Egg Pawns are playable.

We'll see how accurate I am! 

I don't know, I don't think the roster will be that obvious, someone's at least gonna get cut to make place for Silver and Blaze. Could be Cream and Big, could be Omega, could be the Chaotix. Wouldn't even be surprised if instead of going with Eggman, Metal Sonic goes into an Illusion team with Chaos and Zavok as preorder DLC again.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

Almost certainly going to be three people in a team. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles is a given for the story mode, and there are three character types. Seems pretty certain to me.

So in my estimation, Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles), Team Rose (Amy, Big, Cream), Team Chaotix (Espio, Vector Charmy), Team Dark (Shadow, Rouge, Omega).  and Team Eggman (Eggman, Orbot and Cubot, Metal Sonic). I doubt the Egg Pawns are playable.

We'll see how accurate I am! 

You think the Egg Pawn in the screenshot is an NPC then? That seems a bit odd. Sumo Digital's never done that with the other games before. Give a character a kart and then have them and that kart be unplayable.

ss_2716aeff5ebc5a63af4116f3e2d30177fe667322.600x338.jpg?t=1527693429

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

I don't know, I don't think the roster will be that obvious, someone's at least gonna get cut to make place for Silver and Blaze. Could be Cream and Big, could be Omega, could be the Chaotix. Wouldn't even be surprised if instead of going with Eggman, Metal Sonic goes into an Illusion team with Chaos and Zavok as preorder DLC again.

Big and Cream seem the most likely. If they get dropped and replaced with Silver and Blaze (both of which I'm 95% certain will be in this game regardless) then it'd fit just fine. Even in Forces, despite it being years since 06, they still saw it fit to show Amy and Silver together at the end of the game when they were cutting to all the three man teams. They also still have her with a bit of a connection to Blaze. 

Image result for Amy and Blaze gif

If Omega is dropped than Team Dark is going to be Shadow, Rouge, and... Silver or Blaze...? I guess... and Amy would still be without a team. 

If the Chaotix get dropped then that's an entire three man team they just let go which would be quite a huge gap. Amy, Cream, and Big could fit there as well as Silver and Blaze but then there'd be one more missing person. I guess they could put one of the Chaotix on there but that'd feel random as hell too.

I really don't see it going down like that. Amy, Silver, and Blaze makes the most sense to me if it truly is just 15 characters. 

That said, maybe SEGA demanded that Sumo Digital do something that doesn't make sense. That's also possible. 

You should take a look at the higher-resolution version of the screenshot. The Egg Pawn racing next to Knuckles is reaally huge, and on the right side of the screen there is a blue Egg Pawn/E-series robot hovering in another vehicle. They probably fill up the Story Races.

Also, Eggman would replace Omega in Team Dark (Kinda ironic thinking about it), but it would leave Metal Sonic homeless. I'm just iffy on Big because I can really see him returning in this one thanks to Sumo Digital enjoying the character and being in ASR, even the new character on the cover bears resemblance to Big. Unless that is him and he is the final boss of the Adventure mode lol

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

You should take a look at the higher-resolution version of the screenshot. The Egg Pawn racing next to Knuckles is reaally huge, and on the right side of the screen there is a blue Egg Pawn/E-series robot hovering in another vehicle. They probably fill up the Story Races.

Also, Eggman would replace Omega in Team Dark (Kinda ironic thinking about it), but it would leave Metal Sonic homeless. I'm just iffy on Big because I can really see him returning in this one thanks to Sumo Digital enjoying the character and being in ASR, even the new character on the cover bears resemblance to Big. Unless that is him and he is the final boss of the Adventure mode lol

Maybe Metal Sonic won't even be in this game.

It's Big's evil uncle like

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

I didn't even originally understand why everyone was saying an Egg Pawn was going to be playable until I saw the screenshot. If it turns out it's a model vehicle made up entirely for the story then... okay I guess but I don't have too much of a reason to assume that at the moment. I'm trying to think of situations in the past where that's happened with the Sonic racers and I can't. Although, it's happened with the Olympic games for characters people DID give a shit about so maybe we can apply the logic of those games here... but even then it's hard to see that being the case. 

Eggman hasn't been seen as a placeholder for Team Dark since the concept of a Team Dark was created in Sonic Adventure 2 (unless you count Sonic X). As much as I'd love to see a reunion of that version of the team, I don't see it happening unless someone over there suddenly got really ambitious and the story they've got in mind is something super interesting.

I personally have no reason to be iffy on Big. He hasn't appeared in anything in forever aside from a few mobile games and the twitter. It doesn't matter that Sumo Digital enjoys the character, that didn't save him from being cut for no reason when the sequel came out. It doesn't feel like they're backing down on the idea that he's truly just not being utilized anymore.

Watch all this speculation turn out to be completely pointless and irrelevant though. Something's going to be revealed that'll spin this all on its head. I just know it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I do wonder what story they have in mind for this game. Hopefully they make a bunch of the characters overly competitive or malicious like in Free Riders (depending on who appears).