Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Reveal Trailer

Patron

5 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

I think in this case it's all three Chaotix or none, which is why they might not make it in. Putting Vector in Team Rose was only a temporary setup in Riders which ended as soon as the Grand Prix was over, but as soon as Team moves are involved, it starts looking really weird pairing up random characters. This mechanic also prevents putting two or all of them in one vehicle, unless there are two-character teams.

From our Sonic Heroes+/Runners cast, I think it all comes down to the Chaotix, Cream&Big, Omega or Silver&Blaze not making it in the base roster. If Omega's not there, Eggman can fill in at Team Dark making room for an extra team, but more likely Eggman will have his own with Metal Sonic and Egg Pawn or some other lackey. If Silver and Blaze join Team Rose, then Big and Cream will not be there, if they have their own team Sticks or a Chao racer might join in. So I see three options:

• Team Sonic, Dark (Eggman), Rose, Chaotix and Special (e.g. Metal Sonic, Blaze and Silver)
  • Team Sonic, Dark (Omega), Rose (featuring Silver and Blaze), Robotnik and Chaotix
  • Team Sonic, Dark, Rose, Robotnik, as well as Silver, Blaze and ???

However, I know Sumo's games often have unexpected rather than safe roster choices, so I wouldn't be surprised if we had not one, but two of those teams removed for a Team Classic or a Team Illusion (Metal/Infinite+Chaos+Zavok).

Well i did state that the game has three types (and i will reference this https://www.sonichq.net/article/Walmart-leaks-Team-Sonic-Racing)

Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.

Meaning there might be no team dark, no team chaotix based on this information... I mean that doesnt mean the teams dont exist but this game may be on a car class basis.

I'm hoping they bring back Sonic Advance 3's system of giving each team their own abilities that compliment each other and even using team names. Like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles would be Team Sonic, as well as any other Heroes' recreations.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well i did state that the game has three types (and i will reference this https://www.sonichq.net/article/Walmart-leaks-Team-Sonic-Racing)

Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.

Meaning there might be no team dark, no team chaotix based on this information... I mean that doesnt mean the teams dont exist but this game may be on a car class basis.

Well Technique is just the replacement for flight here, so the Speed/Fly/Power system is still intact. From all the unconfirmed characters that haven't been in past ASR games, I have no doubt Rouge will be there due to her affiliation with Shadow.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm hoping they bring back Sonic Advance 3's system of giving each team their own abilities that compliment each other and even using team names. Like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles would be Team Sonic, as well as any other Heroes' recreations.

Yeah that would be my hope, i mean the roster can be arranged like this:

Team 1 Sonic:

Sonic (speed)

Tails (technique)

Knuckles (power)

Team 2 Amy:

Amy (speed?)

Cream (technique)

Big (power) 

Team 3 Shadow:

Shadow (speed)

Rouge (technique)

123 Omega (power)

Team 4 Chaotix:

Charmy (speed)

Espio (technique)

Vector (power)

Team 5 the good doctor:

Metal Sonic (speed)

Egg Pawn (technique)

The good doctor (power)

A very fair linup

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Yeah that would be my hope, i mean the roster can be arranged like this:

Team 1 Sonic:

Sonic (speed)

Tails (technique)

Knuckles (power)

Team 2 Amy:

Amy (speed?)

Cream (technique)

Big (power) 

Team 3 Shadow:

Shadow (speed)

Rouge (technique)

123 Omega (power)

Team 4 Chaotix:

Charmy (speed)

Espio (technique)

Vector (power)

Team 5 the good doctor:

Metal Sonic (speed)

Egg Pawn (technique)

The good doctor (power)

A very fair linup

Is a good line up but is missing Silver and Blaze :(

I would replace Espio and Charmy in favor of them. Vector is the Chaotix that is chosen for spin offs anyways. (Mario and Sonic, Free Riders)

Well that is if they went with the team's idea I mean those characters can still be in there but I don't know what teams they would be in there

If it works anywhere close to how it did in CNK, the teams will be fixed.

Also at this point I think the entirety of the Chaotix is more likely than Cream and Big, the former have had far more rep under Iizuka's era than the latter. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do you know what? I'd be kind of cool with an unconventional roster because at least it would be new and different. If Egg Pawn is playable and not just a story AI character, I wouldn't really mind, because at least that's new. Mind you, I would much rather have seen one of the Hard Boiled Heavies, although I'm pretty sure they, Fang, Mighty and Ray won't be in due to the strict dimension split of Classic and Modern they are going for (as I've discussed earlier).

The only character I'd be really bored to see is anyone from the Deadly Six, because I think they are all incredibly boring. I like Zeena's design and Zor's character, so I'd maybe let them slide, but Zavok is the definition of dull.

If we got some really unusual choices, like Chaos, Sticks or Omega, that would be cool.

And while I know it won't happen, I secretly hope we get at least one returning Sonic R character (Tails Doll, Metal Knuckles, Egg Robo). 

6 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Who is this... cat tho?

New character for sure, it can't be Big or Eggman in disguise.

This guy seems to be powered by the Phantom Ruby (look at his vehicle and hat). And maybe the colors are a tip of the hat to Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles.. possible connection?

57 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Also at this point I think the entirety of the Chaotix is more likely than Cream and Big, the former have had far more rep under Iizuka's era than the latter. 

I'd say the same about the Chaotix if this was a Sonic Team game, but I know Sumo Digital had a lot of freedom with their character choices in the past, to the point where they were only asked to include Shadow and Metal Sonic, so the question is how different it is this time. Vector and Espio were planned for the first ASR alongside others (Cream was meant to be Amy's co-driver), but in the end only Big made it, and they've expressed the desire to include him in Transformed as well, so the big one's probably a lock this time. Also I remember S0L thought people were requesting the 32X gang including Heavy and Bomb when people asked for the Chaotix lol

15 is just a really limiting number combined with the team aspect, any surprise character choice and a recurring cast team will be excluded. That's why I think it will hit the Chaotix, Silver/Blaze, Omega or Big/Cream, but only the former two don't have a fellow team member that will 100% be in the game. Omega has Shadow confirmed while Big and Cream have Amy.

Wow, they really shot themselves in the foot with that homage nod to Sonic R with the logo. 

So it's a smaller game than the last All Stars Racing Game. Okay. 15 characters though? Not 21 to round out the teams of 3? I know you have tons of game canon characters you can use to round out the number to something that range, Sega. 

Sumo Digital developing has me assured that the game will be decent fun at least, but wow, this really pales to Mario Kart 8. I'm with Jon Burton on this one and saying (my words not his) "Why does this have nothing to do with the original Sonic R?" Sega's Marketing Department sucks

6 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

This guy seems to be powered by the Phantom Ruby (look at his vehicle and hat). And maybe the colors are a tip of the hat to Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles.. possible connection?

... Oh geez, why is the Phantom Ruby back? Literally what is the point of it anymore besides making crossovers and unexplainable events happen? Wasn't that the purpose of the Chaos Emeralds besides unrefined power anyways? It's getting to be as overused and misplaced as the Wisps are for as much as they actually do fit a racing game where their debut game is represented. The least that the Phantom Ruby could do is finally make the amalgamated Sonic Universe that takes all of the elements of the Sonic franchise in the last 27 years that worked and make that into a solid universe once and for all instead of leaving everything to a mystery box that never works. J.J. Abrams really isn't the gold standard for running a franchise, Sega. 

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

It's starting to look that way, yeah. As someone who loves the Chaotix and prefers them over Cream and Big, I don't have a problem with that if it's true.

They have enough characters in their main cast to make up an even 15 character roster. If we take all 14 characters that appeared in Heroes and add in Silver and Blaze that leaves us with 16. One of them would probably get the boot and despite Aaron Webber's memes, that character would most likely be Big.

However, this isn't taking into account that there may be some weird decision making imposed upon Sumo Digital from the guys up on high. Like, for some reason, they'll give a spot to Zavok and Infinite for some reason.

Like, I don't hate either of those characters but I think I may have to if that were to happen.

5 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

... Oh geez, why is the Phantom Ruby back?

It's not.

Not every purplish, potentially-hexagonal object is the phantom ruby.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Absolutely 1

12 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

I'd say the same about the Chaotix if this was a Sonic Team game, but I know Sumo Digital had a lot of freedom with their character choices in the past, to the point where they were only asked to include Shadow and Metal Sonic, so the question is how different it is this time. Vector and Espio were planned for the first ASR alongside others (Cream was meant to be Amy's co-driver), but in the end only Big made it, and they've expressed the desire to include him in Transformed as well, so the big one's probably a lock this time. Also I remember S0L thought people were requesting the 32X gang including Heavy and Bomb when people asked for the Chaotix lol

There's just one assumption here that I think can be disputed; that Sumo Digital have the same level of freedom here as they did in the past. Sonic Team would probably be more willing to let Sumo Digital play around with character choices in a multi-franchise crossover than a game that's all about promoting their franchise specifically. In which case, I can easily imagine Sonic Team having more sway over the roster. 

If that ends up being the case, the Chaotix have an even better foot in the door because I believe it's been mentioned in the past that they're pretty well favoured on the Japanese side of the team. 

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It's starting to look that way, yeah. As someone who loves the Chaotix and prefers them over Cream and Big, I don't have a problem with that if it's true.

They have enough characters in their main cast to make up an even 15 character roster. If we take all 14 characters that appeared in Heroes and add in Silver and Blaze that leaves us with 16. One of them would probably get the boot and despite Aaron Webber's memes, that character would most likely be Big.

However, this isn't taking into account that there may be some weird decision making imposed upon Sumo Digital from the guys up on high. Like, for some reason, they'll give a spot to Zavok and Infinite for some reason.

Like, I don't hate either of those characters but I think I may have to if that were to happen.

Infinite and Zavok could finally get solid roles in the story, though. That’s the upside. But the massive downside is if characters like them, the HBH, or any other Colors-onward villains don’t get involved in the story and are just there for filler. And also, there might be some cameos of characters who didn’t make the roster. And I assume 15 is just the base roster and there will be unlockable ones too. 

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

It's not.

Not every purplish, potentially-hexagonal object is the phantom ruby.

Well, what are we supposed to think it is then? Baseless speculation is one of Sega's favourite games they love to play with us. 

I mean if it's not the Phantom Ruby, then it's something new we haven't seen yet. Which to be honest, that sounds like a very Sega thing to do. 

I'm just kind of tired of Sega's baseless speculation game. I just want to know the next Sonic game is going to be good instead of a surprise in quality. 

• Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, LongcrierCat said:

Well, what are we supposed to think it is then?

Could be any number of things. Dude looks to be wearing rings with big (for a ring) gems on them, one of which is about the same color, so it might just represent his family jewels. Or it could just be a meaningless purple circle to make the wheel-with-wings symbol look better.

1 minute ago, LongcrierCat said:

I'm just kind of tired of Sega's baseless speculation game. I just want to know the next Sonic game is going to be good instead of a surprise in quality. 

You, me, and just about everyone else, yeah. So if you're tired of the speculation game, maybe don't jump in on any random rumor like it's got merit?

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

And I can do whatever I want when I don't buy it the second I see Classic Sonic in it.

And not a care was given this day by Sega because it includes a character you dont like.

Heck I dont like Big the cat yet Heroes is one of my favorites. I hate playing team roses story but I get over it.

If big was in this racing game I'd still buy it cuz of the other 14 characters and never play as big unless there are achievements that would force me to use them 

9 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Eh, it's okay. They're probably covering up the major gameplay issues and lack of content, like it was with Forces. 

I mean, I'm kinda surprised that they had the balls to bring back pseudo-rock music, after Forces' usage of it was heavily criticized, but, eh, I guess Sonic is 2edgy for music that actually fits.

People liked a lot of the forces soundtrack, even infnite's edgy ass theme got more love than his actual character did. Which upon recollection is halarious

9 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Who is this... cat tho?

New character for sure, it can't be Big or Eggman in disguise.

Looks like a raccoon to me.

Hmm. What are the odds they double down on Forces and let you import an Avatar character? I could see them burn a roster slot on that. Infinite too.

I do like how Sega has been positioning Sonic's friends back to the forefront as of late. The team mechanic all but forces you to play as characters outside of Sonic and Shadow. You'll have to recruit a few more homies and balance out a full team. Between Runners and Speed Battle giving (an almost mandating) the usage of the extended cast, Mania dropping in a bunch of playable characters and Forces bringing more characters along for the story and episode Shadow... It feels like we've gotten over a hump and Sonic Team isn't full tilt at sweeping everyone who isn't blue or with quills under a rug.

Metal Sonic was the only DLC character in the last game right? Hmm, I'd like a few more for this go round.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, Stephen Rodriguez said:

Looks like a raccoon to me.

Marine’s grandpa? 

Also, any fan-art for this guy yet? 

Allow me to be the first.

image.png.e51f0f43583e4829f3562101541ce395.png

he's an Italian-American used car salesman

• Promotion 2

15 characters is absolute BS. Didn't both All Stars Racing games have far more than that? I'm sure that Transformed certainly did. I was also hoping for some Sonic R exclusive characters to return somehow. I wanted to see the Tails Doll and Mecha Knuckles come back. If Mania brought back a bunch of old characters, characters that have already been referenced in modern games before Mania even came out (Generations with the wanted posters), there's no excuse why this game shouldn't include several more characters at least as unlockables. It's obvious that, if there's only going to be 15 characters in the game, we're probably going to get no more obscure than maybe Big the Cat or Blaze. The problem clearly isn't the lack of options to choose from. Unfortunately, I'm really doubting that there will be more characters outside the 15 and we'll probably only start out with the basic trio of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, slowly unlocking more of the 15 later on. I really hope I'm wrong. I still want to see both Mighty and Ray in a 3D environment as well...

• Thumbs Up 2

Now what stages do you REALLY want to be in?

I really want Studiopolis, Kingdom Valley, Windmill Isle and Aquarium Park.