Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Reveal Trailer

Patron

7 hours ago, G-Force said:

If there's only the two of them, that could imply the game may be built around 2 person teams.

I thought about that too, but there is also a bit of evidence to defy that line of thought. Namely the box art which quite strongly pushes the 3 man team idea with its depiction of Sonic/Tails/Knux trio.

To be honest - off the top my head and before knowing how any of the team mechanics work - I think I like the idea of two man teams better.

So, this has nothing to do with the actual game but...

SFJIJIph.png

It seems Marza is really pushing for their Unity Movie Pipeline considering both Forces and this game's marketing have been using it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Parax said:

I heard that they've used Unity to render one of their film's, but I'm not sure if they used Unity to render their recent Sonic CGI stuff. IIRC, they developed

the tool with Unity Japan and call it "UTMP". I've been thinking if they used this tool to render the animation used in TSR's trailer because imo it doesn't look

good compared to their past CGI work.

I'm sure that Forces' first trailer definitely used it. The eyes are kind of a giveaway.

paXB5pXl.png 

GrKMKLXl.png

SFJIJIpl.png

I'm not quite sure about the rest of Forces' CG since those have a different look, although they also look different from their regular CG work so I'm getting mixed signals here.

HqgLKCZl.png

I've never been super fond of grouping everyone into threes, since it places limitations on interactions and pushes some characters into awkward roles where none really make a lot of sense (see Amy). That said, it's a racing game and I'm sure Sumo know what they're doing. One good thing that does come of this is that Rouge should be a lock for a team with Shadow. I just hope Blaze makes it in too. As for the entire roster, I would guess something like:

Team Sonic - Sonic, Tails, Knuckles

Team Fuck You - Shadow, Rouge, Omega

Team Pink/Purple - Amy, Blaze, Big (due to Sumo's fondness for him) or Blaze, Amy, Silver (since he's often been chosen above other ancillary characters)

Team Chaotix - Espio, Charmy, Vector

Team Egg - Metal, Eggman and... I hate to say it but... possibly Infinite. I'd love it to be Chaos (since he's seen more prominence recently in Forces and Lego Dimensions) or just about anybody else, but... sigh.

Cream's possible, but along with Big, is one of the mostly likely to miss the cut. Charmy and Omega are lucky to be part of an established trio where any other character would feel wrong. I know Omega's been replaced before in Free Riders, but I don't see why a generic robot would be chosen again over an actual member of the cast. Unless Chaos takes his place, since he and Shadow are similar in some ways and the brand "Team Adventure" could work. Team Rose, on the other hand, had very little tying it together in the first place, so I could see Amy joining any of the remaining characters. Whether any of it matters really depends how much story there is.

EDIT: Hmm, I forgot this isn't the character thread. XP

If Infinite appears I'm out.

It makes sense for Eggman the goofy villain to participate (see Free Riders).

But all Infinite wants to do is destroy and kill, it's out of place! Sonic's friend won't even let him participate.

58 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If Infinite appears I'm out.

Good riddance.

I hope we get as many characters as possible, especially the out of place ones, that's a rule for mascot racers. I loved all the fan service and references they've put in Sonic Runners, I hope the same is done here. Infinite doesn't need to be in the story mode tho', but I doubt said mode will be super deep and well writen. It's probably gonna be just an excuse to learn the game's mechanics and unlock stuff.

• Thumbs Up 4

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

Good riddance.

I hope we get as many characters as possible, especially the out of place ones, that's a rule for mascot racers. I loved all the fan service and references they've put in Sonic Runners, I hope the same is done here. Infinite doesn't need to be in the story mode tho', but I doubt said mode will be super deep and well writen. It's probably gonna be just an excuse to learn the game's mechanics and unlock stuff.

If anything i'd probably use infinite just because of how likely he is to have a really cool car design (maybe something batmobile-esque?). Definitely agree on them prioritizing fanservice over shoe-ins though, it was one of the main reasons why ASRT's roster was so boring because they took out a lot of the unique characters and just replaced them with clones and less obscure ones.

37 minutes ago, Jango said:

I hope we get as many characters as possible, especially the out of place ones, that's a rule for mascot racers.

Ironically, I don't think Crash ever went down that route. About the furthest afield they ever went was Fake Crash (but CTR was deriving heavily from Crash 3 anyway) and Penta Penguin (who was super secret code locked so not exactly a substitute for anyone). CNK had none of this because Fake Crash was more established, and CTTR only used the characters seen in the story for one of the lowest roster numbers seen for its time. 

Edit: In fact, even Penta can be considered an extension of the Crash 3 focus if Penta was indeed supposed to be the penguin Dingodile tortured (as N.Tranced retroactively made it). 

48 minutes ago, Jango said:

Good riddance.

I mean, it's all right if he's a bonus character or something in trial mode only.

Not for the story mode I mean.

"Good riddance", thanks rude.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Good riddance.

This was obviously directed toward Marco, we figure you should know better by now, but now you're taking a break. This is your final warning, the next time will be a permaban. Enough is enough.

• Thumbs Up 7

Aaron Webber's shared more details:

- the game will be playable at E3, and more footage is coming soon 
- the game has been in the works for a while 
- the game will be “very, very different” and will have “very interesting mechanics” when compared to other Sonic racing games 
- there will be more Sonic characters than in any of the past racing titles done with Sumo Digital 
- “Maybe there are some characters you have yet to see and play as that you haven’t been able to play as in a long time.” 
- voiced dialog will be featured

And he once again reiterates that everyone's driving cars for the sake of fairness.

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/310406-sega-shares-new-details-on-team-sonic-racing-explains-why-sonic

*crosses fingers for Big, Metal Sonic and Sticks*

• Thumbs Up 6

The number of racers is a complete misnomer; The most any past Sumo racing title had in terms of Sonic was 8. That's a low benchmark. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Team Hooligan! S0L promised he would try and make Fang playable after Transformed,  they were also mentioned in IDW whereas Mighty and Ray are off-limits there, which would make sense if the Hooligans are indeed joining the modern cast for this game. Literally any other character is playable in the Sonic Forces app right now, and we know what happened the last time Aaron mentioned characters who haven't been playable for a long time.

...Or wait, maybe it's a Sonic R team made of Metal Sonic, Tails Doll & Metal Knuckles

Either way, the roster has become a lot more unpredictable now. Bye my beloved Chaotix

15 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Team Hooligan! S0L promised he would try and make Fang playable after Transformed,  they were also mentioned in IDW whereas Mighty and Ray are off-limits there, which would make sense if the Hooligans are indeed joining the modern cast for this game. Literally any other character is playable in the Sonic Forces app right now, and we know what happened the last time Aaron mentioned characters who haven't been playable for a long time.

...Or wait, maybe it's a Sonic R team made of Metal Sonic, Tails Doll & Metal Knuckles

Either way, the roster has become a lot more unpredictable now. Bye my beloved Chaotix

Tangle? Tikal? Mephiles? The Rogues? Sticks? Maybe even Archie and Boom characters as a memorial to those continuities? 

This bacislly confirms unlockable characters on top of the 15.

16 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

I want Mighty and Ray! (Modern)

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Tangle? Tikal? Mephiles? The Rogues? Sticks? Maybe even Archie and Boom characters as a memorial to those continuities? 

This bacislly confirms unlockable characters on top of the 15.

Tangle is not a character we've played as before, and everyone else you mentioned was playable in 2015/2016. I think when he says a long time, he means it, and he's definitely aware of the mobile games since he fanboyed over Big joining a couple weeks ago lol

I don't see this increasing the number of the roster. A Sonic R team would probably replace a team for Eggman, while the Hooligans would likely replace the Chaotix. Who knows, there may be a pre-order/DLC team later on. However, companies would always advertise their actual character number in the press release, like saying "Over 15 characters", but they didn't.

9 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Tangle is not a character we've played as before, and everyone else you mentioned was playable in 2015/2016. I think when he says a long time, he means it, and he's definitely aware of the mobile games since he fanboyed over Big joining a couple weeks ago lol

I don't see this increasing the number of the roster. A Sonic R team would probably replace a team for Eggman, while the Hooligans would likely replace the Chaotix. Who knows, there may be a pre-order/DLC team later on. However, companies would always advertise their actual character number in the press release, like saying "Over 15 characters", but they didn't.

Well, “for a long time” could even mean “ever”, so we shouldn’t write Tangle off. Storm hasn’t been playable since 2010, and the Hooligans had the fighters re-release in 2013, meaning Storm was last playable earlier than them. And I can imagine if the characters happen to be Shadow Android, Shade, Maria, Emerl, Chaos Gamma, the robots from Riders, and the Black Knight, who also haven’t been playable in a long time. That would be a massive troll move.

This is gonna sound unpopular, but if the roster is so short, it is kinda unfair to put some forgotten character for the sake of the shock/twist value, instead of adding the base cast like Rouge, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Cream, Silver, Blaze, Metal Sonic etc.

I would honestly be upset if they put Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles instead of those just to reference an obscure game. But maybe that's just me, I don't know. If the roster was larger and you can include everyone, sure then.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know, I can see them having the roster be a mixture of established and surprise characters, and skip over some of the recurring cast for DLC/sequel reasons. Remember Knuckles not being playable in Sega Superstars Tennis, while Shadow and Amy were, and then they were able to use his "comeback" in All-Stars Racing for marketing reasons. It's not something I want to see happen, not at all, but that's how it works sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was on the stream when Aaron said all this and I didn't get too much from him saying this stuff.

"More Sonic characters than has been in any previous Sumo Digital title" is a given since the most they've ever had is 8 and we've been kicking around the 15 character thing ever since the start of this thread.

"Maybe there are some characters you have yet to see and play as that you haven't been able to play as in a long time" can basically mean literally anyone who isn't Sonic or Shadow, the only two characters we saw in the reveal trailer. I doubt he was taking Sonic Forces: Speed Battle and all the other mobile games into consideration when he said that. 

I really don't think we should get our hopes up for anything weird and outlandish like Tangle and the Hooligans or whatever. We'll be lucky if we even get the roster for Speed Battle.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Pawn said:

I've never been super fond of grouping everyone into threes, since it places limitations on interactions and pushes some characters into awkward roles where none really make a lot of sense (see Amy).

Me neither, though I'd argue the awkward role is more of a Knuckles thing since the only thing backing the character to stay with Sonic and Tails is solely the publicity, which ever since Mania it has been getting pushed a little bit too much for my taste.

I mean, in the first racing game, the three main characters cast (+ Lord Eggman) was this:

429941-sonicdrift01_32.png

Anyways, I agree that the fixed teams is pretty limited and IMO, a waste of having 15 characters since in practice, you'd be left with only 5 real options. On the other hand, the ability to create custom teams not only would open up much more combinations and add some very welcomed replay factor, but also give the fans things they want like seeing certain groups of characters working together. For example what if the player teams up Eggman and Knuckles to replicate how they were back in Sonic 3? Eggman, Shadow and Rouge for those that feel nostalgia for SA2? Team Rivals with Metal, Knuckles and Shadow? Sonic, Tails and Amy for those who think they are a more believable team than ST's trio? etc. Even combinations that canonically don't make sense would be possible just for fun, which in the end is what any game should aim to deliver.

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, “for a long time” could even mean “ever”, so we shouldn’t write Tangle off. 

If he meant characters who've never been playable before, he would have said. In the stream Aaron said that Tangle probably won't be in Team Sonic Racing, noting that it's been in development for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2k9EIcsJo&t=24m40s

16 minutes ago, Pengi said:

If he meant characters who've never been playable before, he would have said. In the stream Aaron said that Tangle probably won't be in Team Sonic Racing, noting that it's been in development for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2k9EIcsJo&t=24m40s

There’s enough time to make her a DLC character for the game, though. And I agree that it’s most likely characters like Storm, who haven’t been playable anywhere for a while.

I had been reading several posts, and from what I heard, there would be a solo mode? Along with the advertised Team Mode. 

But we still need trios if DLC arises. I had heard that you can compose your own teams,  but have to pick one from Speed, Technique, Power, so no 2-1s or all of the same type. This is why my predictions always are in 3s.

I'm pretty sure that the 15 characters will be a sort of "Starter pack", and all the others are gonna be sold as DLC for the game.

Heck, the Sega Superstars could be sold as DLC. Every single one of them.

Come on, Sega needs to make the monies after Forces' marketing and development sucked money like a black hole.

• Thumbs Up 1