Awoo.

GIF Embedding is Glitchy?

Failinhearts

Okay, so recently, I've been noticing that when embedding gifs, they load for a split second before becoming just a link.

Is this a result of the new update and "optimization"?

This is affecting me on Google Chrome. Not sure about anyone else.

tumblr_o24x5dkO141unech7o1_500.gif

As a test, does anyone see the Monokuma?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Failinhearts said:

Okay, so recently, I've been noticing that when embedding gifs, they load for a split second before becoming just a link.

Is this a result of the new update and "optimization"?

This is affecting me on Google Chrome. Not sure about anyone else.

tumblr_o24x5dkO141unech7o1_500.gif

As a test, does anyone see the Monokuma?

Saw this happening earlier and thought it might've just been me. Normal images seem fine though.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Saw this happening earlier and thought it might've just been me. Normal images seem fine though.

Yeah, same. Regular images work but not gifs.

I can't see Monokuma but Ryan's gifs in his signature are fine.

Meanwhile my gif avatar is fine I can't see the gif in my current signature...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

Yeah, same. Regular images work but not gifs.

GIFs in signatures seem to work as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting. I have them disabled right now, so I wouldn't know.

21 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I can't see Monokuma but Ryan's gifs in his signature are fine.

Meanwhile my gif avatar is fine I can't see the gif in my current signature...

Seconding everything said here. I can see and not see the same .gifs.

11 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

sonic_mania_plus_signature_1_by_sonictra

Can you see this?

I can indeed see this.

I can see most of the gifs except one of Ryan's (I can see Batman.) and one of Failins in the signature.

I also noticed that some gif avatars weren't always loading. Sometimes Hamtaro freezes, that's not cool! *grabs pitchfork*

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I can see most gifs. Sig gifs are unaffected for me and only a select few gifs do not load. Though I do see the test gif in this thread's OP.

Everything looks to be fixed gif wise, though it seems the site is slower. Also I noticed that my profile page will not show any of my statuses at all. I know they are there because I actually did some digging to see if they got purged or not.

I can see the GIF now.

56 minutes ago, Ashwalking Bat said:

Everything looks to be fixed gif wise, though it seems the site is slower. Also I noticed that my profile page will not show any of my statuses at all. I know they are there because I actually did some digging to see if they got purged or not.

I'm not sure about the statuses, but the site is usually slow after a large maintenance like this. Considering that the mobile site itself was broken for a day or so, it's to be expected things might be running slow.

Seems like images are broken again, I can still see the Monokuma gif above, but the Aoi Asahina gif in my signature, as well as all of @Monkey Destruction Switch‘s images in her signature are broken.

• Absolutely 1

This should fix itself eventually. As far as I know it's to do with one server taking a request intended for the other, and acting as a middleman (proxying) for it; there are a few things not quite working properly, and this is one of them.

It was previously the backup server proxying for the main, now it's the other way around. It's necessary to do it because it can take days to make every visitor's system aware that the site is on a different server (DNS propagation), and during that transition period there's no real way of controlling which server a system will try to access - imagine two diverging versions of the same forum where one group of people can't see what the other has posted, and vice versa.

That isn't what we want, so the moment we switch from one server to another we replace the forum on the old one with a proxy. That allows us to take people stuck on the old server and give them a way to use the new one anyway, until eventually no-one remembers the old one any more!

Might be worth clearing cookies/cache in the meantime, though I'm not sure it'll help with anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm having problems embedding regular, non-animated images, using the "Insert image from URL" function. They just appear as links.

I understand that forum maintenance is happening at the moment, so I imagine that this will eventually work properly again.

Edited by Naean