Awoo.

Do you think Classic Sonic should appear again in a Modern game?

Marco9966

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Let's be honest, it was fucking bizzare to make Sonic meet his former self even in Generations. It was always a weird idea to begin with.

Is it? I feel like a character meeting themself is part of like, half of all time travel stories.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Is it? I feel like a character meeting themself is part of like, half of all time travel stories.

Time travel stories are weird to begin with anyway in a series not well known for them. Besides CD (06 doesn't count because it's Sonic 06). Not that it's bad to be weird. In CD and Generations it was justifiable. In Forces it wasn't. It wasn't even a time travel story in Forces but a dimension leaping one... I think? Not that it's much different but still

11 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

No. I think the character was only justified to show up in Generations because of the plot calling for a kind of crossoever between both eras. His Forces appearance was much more shoehorned than Knuckles appearances ever were and felt like he was used only to recycle his gameplay in order to have something else to fill the game with.

Personally I don't think there ever was a need to have this "two eras of Sonic" thing as, at least from my own perception, Modern Sonic was never this "lost cause" that a lot of people claim it to be, as it too can have a more charming, fun and lighthearted tone like in the classic days since all it needs is to drop the DBZ/FF inspired bullcrap that plagued it because of the questionable decision from Sonic Team's staff. You know, the real root of the problem and what needs to be changed.

Having this Classic and Modern is IMO something that only panders to the more extreme sides within those factions, and leaves those who wants a balance with nothing since I really don't like how Classic Sonic is stuck in a comfort zone, while Modern seems to have been left for Iizuka and company to run wild with ideas that feel like drawing inspiration from the stereotypical fanfic.

Not to mention all the Seinfeld-type stuff in 2010 onwards that replaced the DBZ stuff more or less, which is light but charmless, needing to be peeled away as well. 

15 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Except even Modern has more attitude and personality in Forces/Gens than Classic has. Modern is still a laid-back, cocky smartass while Classic is still just shown as a happy-go-lucky dork, so even that somewhat falls through.

I meant more in terms of Mania Adventures Classic Sonic. The only reason Modern Sonic isn't as expressive is because he isn't the Sonic that's there.

Gens/Forces Classic Sonic doesn't really have much of a discernible personality, but I think that's mostly due to him lacking vocal cords to waste time with. If Modern Sonic is bland hero guy who snarks and makes bad puns, Classic Sonic is bland hero guy who.. stands there. 

1 minute ago, Space☆Yeow said:

You could had phrased that better.

It was phrased in the best way possible

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 4
  • Fist Bump 4

22 minutes ago, Space☆Yeow said:

You could had phrased that better.

I know what I said

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Way Past Cool 1

Honestly I feel like saying "oh they're the same guy they're just drawn different!" is massively understating what the series had gone through even before Generations made "Classic" and "Modern" explicit.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Not really. The gimmick was great in Generations because it was the first time ever. In Forces it seemed... forced (no pun intended).

Like years down the road for another big anniversary? Maybe, if it is done right.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am fine for Anniversary games but for any other occasion.

No keep them apart.

Granted they messed things up in Forces but it did work fairly well in Generations

• Thumbs Up 1

Only if it's Generations 2, because in that case it would make sense.

Otherwise, no. Just like the wisps and the avatar, Classic should just be gone from the next main-line game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Razule said:

I meant more in terms of Mania Adventures Classic Sonic. The only reason Modern Sonic isn't as expressive is because he isn't the Sonic that's there.

Gens/Forces Classic Sonic doesn't really have much of a discernible personality, but I think that's mostly due to him lacking vocal cords to waste time with. If Modern Sonic is bland hero guy who snarks and makes bad puns, Classic Sonic is bland hero guy who.. stands there. 

I mean, I’d ague boom did Sonics animation well regarding his animations and emotions, so there’s really not a great excuse that Sonic comes off stiff and bland in games like forces.

For me, it really depends on which games.

- On mainline games, except as a "bonus character" (i.e. not in the narration), nope. If he appear, he should be a "bonus", something that isn't part of the main game, but a small optional funny addition.

- On "all star-type" games, like the racing games, the Olympic games, etc… totally, as these game are not really narrative, and having classic Sonic would not be a problem, and he would be useful as the Classic sub-franchise is a part of the franchise too.

- On a new "anniversary"/"crossover" game in 10 years ? Yup, if they do normal games before, as we need some mainline game before having a "special event" game.

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Like, who on Earth is winning, or being appealed to here? It's a literal lose/lose situation as Classic fans hate and laugh at the completely gimped version of the character they enjoy, and better yet - already have a game dedicated to that character with fifty times better gameplay while the Modern fans are being stuck with a completely shit version of a gameplay style they might not even enjoy and having resources wasted on the stuff that no one wants in the Modern series. Generations worked once for the novelty, and the fact the focus was placed squarely on both gameplay styles, giving them an equal balance, and on top of that - having a very competent team on board for it. Forces literally has none of it and it's completely wrecked any of the good will Gens even managed to get for this idea.

If I want to play Classic Sonic, I'll play Mania, which is a fantastic game and the best representation of the Classic universe in years. If I'm buying a Modern Sonic game, better yet- a Boost Sonic game, it's probably because I enjoy the Boost formula and/or Modern Sonic and his universe. The same way I don't Modern randomly appearing in a Classic game to fuck around with that formula and butcher the pre-established gameplay I actually enjoy there, I don't want Classic Sonic appearing in Modern Sonic to steal time and resources away from what I actually enjoy in the games only so Classic and his gameplay can be butchered to fuck in a sad attempt at appealing to fans.

6 hours ago, Chili Dawg said:

THAT SAID if Sonic Team/SEGA feel that there must be a distinction made, then the answer to the question is no. If you're gonna make a  Modern Sonic game, have a ballsy vision and stick to it, don't try to give the Mania crowd a watered down classic experience when they can get the real deal for forty dollars less and folks who want to enjoy a 3D Sonic game would rather enjoy without said watered down Classic experience getting in the way. 

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Sonic should be spending more time playing with his friends instead of with himself.

This.

100% agree!

Can someone tweet a link of this thread to Aaron Webber?

3 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Only if it's Generations 2, because in that case it would make sense.

Otherwise, no. Just like the wisps and the avatar, Classic should just be gone from the next main-line game. 

The Avatar is fine, the issue was implementation due to the rushed nature of forces development

I always hated this "classic vs modern" thing, it only serves to divide your own fanbase. IMO it's a stupid notion that you need to bring "classic" Sonic back to make old school 2D platforming, why can't the recent Sonic be used for that? At this point, it's clear to me shoving "classic" Sonic into things is nothing more than cashing in on nostalgia, but without any real effort put into it (save for Mania).

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I always hated this "classic vs modern" thing, it only serves to divide your own fanbase. IMO it's a stupid notion that you need to bring "classic" Sonic back to make old school 2D platforming, why can't the recent Sonic be used for that? At this point, it's clear to me shoving "classic" Sonic into things is nothing more than cashing in on nostalgia, but without any real effort put into it (save for Mania).

Generations was fine too, after all it is what brought classic sonic back to the forefront long before mania

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Generations was fine too, after all it is what brought classic sonic back to the forefront long before mania

To each their own, but I haven't touched that game in years as for me, it failed both as a classic Sonic game and modern Sonic game, plus the story was crap and cringy. It was pretty looking and had some good remixes of old songs, but that's all the positives I can say about it.

5 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

The whole point of generations is a storyless anniversary game.

I played all the classics on Mega Collection+ years before Sonic Generations and it was just fine. They could release a new 20th anniversary compilation instead of this game with the infamous "Nobody calls me Robotnik anymore, call me Eggman!".

Generations is a great game IMHO as its the game that made me interested in Sonic games again.

Its got great gameplay, sure its story is rubbish but its got some great music and level design.

Its certainly better than most of the games in the franchise before it, Unleashed is a joke with the werehog and I never played the storybook games.

Colors is exclusive to the wii so I got generations

6 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

great music and level design

The level design part is very debatable.

4 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

The level design part is very debatable.

Its mostly fine, only the later levels feel bad to me.

The main quest levels are actually fine, its more the key levels that can get you and the hub world is rather crap.

Otherwise I like Generations

4 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Its mostly fine, only the later levels feel bad to me.

The main quest levels are actually fine, its more the key levels that can get you and the hub world is rather crap.

I wouldn't call all the empty narrow hallways in the "3D" stages fine, or the giant pirahna fish chase that's 100% just for show, as well as "3 parallel rails where you have to switch between them" trope fine, but again, that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I wouldn't call all the empty narrow hallways in the "3D" stages fine, or the giant pirahna fish chase that's 100% just for show, as well as "3 parallel rails where you have to switch between them" trope fine, but again, that's just me.

Well i wasnt suggesting Generations perfect, it has its flaws but i think the good outshines the bad in Generations.

I mean its still a better game than Lost world and Forces by a mile.

Now is it better than colors? eh... maybe but its still only for the Wii so i have to emulate it to play it without a Wii

I know I like it more than Unleashed, i mean seriously what were they thinking with the stupid werehog?