Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - E3 Demo Footage/Impressions

Wraith

Impressions too. Some kind of embargo must have lifted today

http://www.shacknews.com/article/105269/team-sonic-racing-pre-e3-2018-preview-ride-sharing?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

While Sega and Sumo Digital are aiming for 15 characters, 12 players will be allowed in each race. That's four teams of three, with each team utilizing a Speed, Technique, and Power racer. Each of these racers have their own distinct stats, vehicles, and customization options. For this demo, we got to check out Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) and Team Dark (Shadow, Rouge, and Mega), each of whom showed different stats and exchanged different banter during the race.

The race itself feels like a straightforward arcade racer. The Shacknews team got to try out a piece of the Wisp Circuit, a single standard track of three laps each. The interesting aspect of this particular track is that it featured multiple paths, with the choice to go left, right, or center. Each path felt noticeably different, with some feeling longer and more straightforward, while another one offered classic Sonic loops. It'll be interesting to see how other, more complex race tracks will encourage the use of the item-sharing mechanic.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/06/05/co-operation-sets-team-sonic-racing-apart-from-other-kart-racers

Team Sonic Racing is a 12-player kart racer where racers are split up into four teams. Where kart racers typically reward players for their personal performance and own finishing position, Team Sonic Racing gives each player on a team points based on their finishing position, then adds up those points for an overall team score. Simply put, you can't win as an individual by just being the best racer; if the team doesn't do well, then nobody does.

Team Sonic Racing gives players a number of tools to help out their fellow racers, none of which I have really seen employed in this sort of cooperative racing game before. If you pick up an item (called Wisps) while racing around the track, but are considerably further up the pack than your teammates, you can press a button to offer that item to your team. If one of your team members accepts and takes the item, it'll warp over to them, allowing them to catch up more easily (and hopefully knock a few people off your own tail). If you're the player falling behind, you can use that same button to request items from your team, and any players with an item available have the option to pass theirs over. By passing items between your team, hitting enemy racers with items, or pulling off collaborative racing moves like slipstream boosts, you can slowly build up a team energy meter too which, when full, can be activated to give every racer on your team a short but substantial speed boost.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/05/team-sonic-racing-hands-on-kart-racing-fans-are-getting-another-lap/

Team Sonic Racing will have a wide variety of circuits from the Sonic universe. You can play as Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and more. The multiplayer modes include Grand Prix, Exhibition, Time Trial, Team Adventure and more. The Team Adventure mode is aimed at newer players who don’t know all of the characters.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 2

Looks more like Lost World than Planet Wisp in Colors or Generations.

I really don't like the art style of the series post-SLW.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm glad they brought back the midair flips, that was such a great feature in ASRT.

Graphics look better in motion too and the Wisps look like decent powerups.

Overall looks pretty great so far and this is only a snippet of gameplay. Can't wait to see what's next. Pretty hyped tbh. I have a lot of faith in Sumo.

• Thumbs Up 3

On one hand: it looks like Sonic ASR. Which means it should be good, on the other hand - I’m a bit bummed we don’t have a remix of Planet Wisp.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Yeah, gameplay looks like ASRT, really liking how the wisps are implemented here, and you collect rings for some reason... , maybe points, maybe upgrading your boost, idk, but i trust Sumo to give us an amazing game.

NOW, ABOUT THAT MUSIC

eeeeeeee.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I don't know why I'm so happy to have the wisp announcer back. I dunno I just always liked the wisp name getting yelled when I trigger it.

I notice at 0:25 Sonic seems to be "helped" in some way, can't see what actually happened unless it has something to do with those rings he picked up a moment earlier. Maybe your teammates can drop an item for you if they're nearby??

Still can't quite figure out what specifically charges that meter behind the car.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Jesus Christ they don't stop TALKING that'll get annoying fast. 

But that music man. 

No synth. No synth. Thank god. 

The cars seem to feel heavy which I'm not a huge fan of. But at least the stuns are baSTUNT FAILED STUNT FAILED STUNT FAILED

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Anybody else get Savannah Citadel vibes from that tree section?

Either way, this looks pretty good. Team mechanic sounds interesting, though I'd like to also have a free-for-all mode. Wisps look more interesting than they've ever been post-Colors, and the visuals are as good as I'd expect from a Sonic game. I also noticed both an orange and a blue Egg Pawn in the race. Hopefully they're either NPC's or placeholders for online opponents, because a Pawn doesn't even deserve one slot, let alone two.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shut the hell up, Sonic.

Otherwise it looks generic and boring. Really wish it wasn't only Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seems about exactly as I imagined it'd be in motion.  The music seems nice, though a little unfitting for Planet Wisp.  If Jun is behind this one, I have to admit, I'll never quite be able to comprehend his mindset as to what games/environments deserve unique/varied instrumentation and what ones are just "okay general Sonic Adventure 2 buttrock time".  Either way it feels at odds with Planet Wisp's established aural theming.  Due to the way the footage is spliced it's hard to tell whether the music regularly gets interrupted by item jingles/if it's dynamic based on what actions are taking place, both or neither.

Also yeah the voiceover stuff is horrendous.  It kind of ties into the team co-op mechanic sure, but team communication could be done with key, recognisable sound effects with OCCASIONAL voice clips.  I.e when Tails requests an item it always makes an item request "ping" and only every 1 in 5 times does Tails actually say "need some help Sonic!" or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is exactly what I feared would happen: Literally ASR 3, but with the Sega Characters thrown out for no reason. There's absolutely nothing about the Gameplay that screams "This could've been done only with Sonic" at all, heck, I feel like having different characters from wildly different IPs interacting with eachother, sending items back and forth to help eachother out, would've enhanced the whole Team Gameplay aspect. It just feels like a hugely wasted opportunity.

Other than that, the game looks like, again, ASR3 without Sega Characters, so it's probably gonna be fun. Really slow looking so far (though that could be because of a low difficulty), but the Team mechanic is intriguing and probably a great time with friends. But yeah, the pointless Cast cutdown still stings.

This doesn't look bad at all and using the Wisps as racing power-ups was an inspired choice. But I think I'll skip out on this, not only because of the lack of IP's but because I'm a solo racer and this game is built around team mechanics.

Honestly I ain't even upset by this anymore. Again It's not bad looking at all, it's just not what I'm looking for in a racer.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like it a lot more in motion. I'm REALLY glad it's only Sonic characters this time, it looks... less generic? More focused, definitely. I feel like this is the racing game for me that I'm not into the other SEGA franchises, no offense to the others.

Knew it about the Egg Pawns everywhere, they wouldn't have revealed most of the roster so early.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm now certain that Egg Pawn isn't part of the roster; the press releases and previews have been fairly strict so far in their statements as to who's in and who's out, but absolutely no source has yet described Egg Pawn as a playable character, despite it featuring noticeably in screenshots and now this playable footage.

More broadly, they're leaning hard on the characters; VentureBeat's preview describes the "Team Adventure" mode as being "aimed at newer players who don’t know all of the characters", so I'm guessing it's going to tend towards character interaction.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I hope we get a 60 FPS footage, cuz 30 frames don't do any racing game proper justice.

I liked what I've seen, though the level does look less like a Planet Wisp track and more like a "Lost World-esque" stage, which is a bit iffy. Also I figured some wisps are gonna pretty much retreads of Transformed's generic items (for example, Orange wisp is literally firework, and Cube is Blowfish). It does look a bit slow, but so did Transformed at 30 FPS (to me at least), so for now it's whatever.

really hope we get a 60 FPS footage in the near future tho.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

My internet speed doesnt allow me to watch hd, what other characters are confirmed?

None, other than Egg Pawns come in multiple colours for yet-to-be-confirmed reasons (if anything other than aesthetics).

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

My internet speed doesnt allow me to watch hd, what other characters are confirmed?

There are billboard cameos for Amy and presumably Vector's car, as well as two other ones I'm still trying to get a clear screenshot of.

The game looks pretty good. I don't like that so much of the course seems to take place in the treetops, though. Color- and design-wise they look very different to the rest of Planet Wisp.

From the Wisps I noticed, Rocket seems to be Green Shell, Weird Pink Starfish thing seems to be Red Shell or a wider Green Shell, Block Wisps creates blocks and Fire Wisp creates a trail of fire.

I don't really care for the little I could hear of the music.

Got the other two billboards! Though no one would consider Eggman a surprise, I guess

image.png.f4d0b170d6401369c492517860ba538c.pngimage.png.d01a7aa2f1c5dd2960d976bfb9f65940.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Yep, it sure is Sonic Kart all right.

It looks fine, I guess, if you want a kart racer but don't have a Switch (or have a strong hatred for Mario or something) but it doesn't seem to be doing anything too interesting.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Do they ever shut up?

it's a sonic game so no probably not