Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - E3 Demo Footage/Impressions

Wraith

looks fun. might pick this up on launch if i can. hopefully online play isn't locked behind the nintendo switch online subscription.

sorry for being wrong.

Right now, the only thing sticking in my craw a bit is the Team mechanic thing. I don't like the fact that there's something here to be worried about but if they go all in on this, and the gimmick isn't fun, then I'm hoping and praying there's just a regular mode we can mess around with. I like playing games on my own and I prefer to treat the other racers as obstacles. This all hinges on whether or not Sumo Digital is able to pull off making this fun and if they can't, I hope they count teams of one as a team in the long run because I like riding solo baby. It's not enough to keep me from being excited since this isn't being made by Sonic Team. 

I don't care about any of the issues brought up about the artstyle right now. Not really. At the moment, I think it looks fine. I don't see anything worth freaking out over, which is often the situation when something I didn't even initially notice has to be pointed out to me. I see what the deal is now and I get it... it's not enough though. I'm gonna need a bit more than that before I feel it's worthy of my vitriol. 

I'd be eternally happy if I did get something that looked like it came out of Unleashed instead of this in-between stuff that Forces did when it took inspiration from its predecessor, however, the overblown, Dora the Explorer puke that was Lost World hasn't fully taken over this track so I'm fine for now.

Although, the more time that passes, the more it starts to stand out how much of a step-back the style in Forces feels though. I still think the game looks good (when it isn't in a cutscene) but it's hard to ignore how bland it all feels just looking at the environments despite the pretty graphics. 

That said, it might end up working better for a racing game then it does for a action-adventure platformer, where part of the point is to go on an adventure and admire the sights, so who knows? I don't want to jump the gun just yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The team mechanics seem interesting to me. The teammates-only slipstream is a cool idea, and item passing is something I never would have thought of. The main thing I'm really curious about is how exactly winners are determined...it's been mentioned you earn points during the race too, but obviously your place in the race is going to factor in, right?

I dunno, I think it'll be fun. I could see it turning out to be something people would have preferred as a specific mode rather than a game-wide thing, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

The team mechanics seem interesting to me. The teammates-only slipstream is a cool idea, and item passing is something I never would have thought of. The main thing I'm really curious about is how exactly winners are determined...it's been mentioned you earn points during the race too, but obviously your place in the race is going to factor in, right?

I dunno, I think it'll be fun. I could see it turning out to be something people would have preferred as a specific mode rather than a game-wide thing, though.

Hopefully, it can still be something like that. I understand them advertising their big team gimmick as the main selling point for this racer regardless of whether you can go it alone or not. Not only that but I still have literally no idea how it'll function or how reliable a gimmick it is. 

I'm sure it'll be fine overall though. 

I just hope they monitor erring people in the online team mode. The mode may attract trolls and griefers, similar to Overwatch. I'm wary that we might get the equivalent of a "Hanzo main"(translated to XCharacter/XType main) People griefing that they didn't got their desired toon or type will most likely throw the game and make it unfun for the remaining two. 

I just hope SEGA & Sumo look at Overwatch and try to avoid the salty problem that is plauging that game.

That seems really unlikely. It's still probable this game doesn't even have much communication (I mean, it certainly won't on Switch) so I doubt that toxicity can happen much. The playerbase also isn't going to be nearly big enough for it to be so common that they'd issue official statements, so I doubt you're gonna have much to worry about.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

If I told you that Sonic 1 was a spin-off (to me), would that make me right

What you say would be true.. from a certain point of view.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of meme teams, I really do hope you can mix and match. It'll be kinda boring if you have to stick to the set teams. In story mode it's whatever (in fact I expect the teams will switch depending on what's going on in the plot), but hopefully you can customize 'em in the other modes. 

Actually I'm curious if the teams have to be made up of three, with one member of each type. That would make sense, but it'd be more fun if you could just do whatever. Maybe they could throw in a just-for-fun THERE ARE NO RULES mode...

• Thumbs Up 6

I definitely want a "customizable team" racing option too, as well as a traditional racer option without the teams, c'mon, it needs to be there for the people who want some pure classic racing.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Celestia said:

Have you played MK8's team races? It'll probably be the similar way how that game is doing - 1st place gets your team the most amount of points, but if your teammates are dead last, then the other team can still win. Interested to see how they're going to do that with more than 2 teams, but I don't think it's going to change too much.

What modes I'd actually like:

• Adventure Mode(Confirmed)= Something like Free Riders, but that mystery character is the one officiating/sponsoring the whole gig. A cutscene plays where everyone is departing for Planet Wisp to start the GP. Hopefully, they take cues with how both Netherrealm fighting games do it, giving each team one chapter(and more, as story demands). They said its way to be acquainted with the characters, and this is my vision on how they shall execute.
  • Grand Prix Mode(Confirmed/Unknown)= It says this mode is a points battle between teams. I am suspecting there will be a series of tracks and pulling off team moves give points(like the moves shown in the vids) Your ranking will be determined like how a normal racing goes: by points. However, you need to make sure your teammates are keeping up with the competition, just like in F1(real-life and game). Can customize teams, still maintaining the Speed-Tech-Power composition.
  • Online Co-Op(Confirmed/Unknown)= Invite some friends over the net for some co-op fun! Blaze thru AI and online competition in the best team you can muster. There will be a Standard Mode that still implements the S-T-P formula for a team, and then the Mayhem Mode where everyone gets random characters, still imposing the team formula. and then No Limits where you can just pick three characters and go, leading to creations such as Team 06(Sonic, Shadow, Silver)
  • Exhibition Mode= Arcade mode. Carries over the modes from online, with an option to pick the preset teams or go create your own. An unlockable Solo Prix mode is available once you beat the story. Thoughts?
  • Thumbs Up 2

So, since an E3 trailer is likely coming tomorrow, what do you expect to see from it? I'm quite excited.

The game-play seems solid enough. I am really curious how this team mechanic is going to work though.

DfgpvbVV4AAIeze.jpg

Dfgp2aYUcAAJBxj.jpg

One fan have played the game and liked a lot!

"The team mechanic are very unique and the speed has increased from the trailer"

• Thumbs Up 5

Just saw some more footage from IGN. And eeeh, it's not looking particularly impressive I'm afraid. The graphics aren't stunning and the gameplay doesn't seem to be doing much new.

For the positives. The game shows you icons of the characters in each corner showing you where their position is. And these character faces are nicely detailed and emote depending on what's going on. Also, the item swap mechanic seems to work really well, the item trading worked pretty flawlessly with the AI team-mates. The game is also much faster than the trailers let on. It's more akin to Sonic All Stars Racing speed.

I'm just really worried about this team mechanic now I've seen it on closer inspection. The team move which seems to help most is item trading, but the extent of how much that helps your AI team-mates seems to be insonsistent. On the first race his team-mates did poorly, and despite coming first, he barely won. if one AI team-mate did slightly worse (say, down by one more position), he would have lost. While on another race his team-mates did really well so he won by a landslide. Yet he didn't seem to play considerably differently between each playthrough, the AI just performed better on the second race. It seems like it could be really frustrating honestly, kind of like Dissidia's single player, where you consistently come first but lose due to your team-mates.

I just think this team focus is a bit half-assed. It's difficult to see where your team-mates are on the course to give them boosts by driving past, and the slipstream doesn't seem to be as useful as you'd think since you drive so quickly you can't properly align with it. Especially since knocking into other racers, including AI team-mates, knocks you around a bit. So it's not really worth the risk to realign your drifting and potentially knock into another racer/wall to line up with the slip stream (not to mention avoiding items too).

Also, it was basically confirmed that there's no option to do solo races. He tried to dodge the question but it was pretty clear (he basically said you can race solo with AI teammates in adventure mode after oohing and aaahing a lot and talked about how they really wanted to focus on the team racing aspect. lol). 

And as a side note, I hate that items knock you to a complete standstill. I preferred that they only slightly slowed you down in All Stars Racing.

It was shown on this stream somewhat recently:

10 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Bitchy Tails is BACK in full force!

image.png.0800fdd54e2b6dc76eb3ca3b8db9f277.png

not really bitchy, just kid of an asshole.

Slowing that footage down, you can see all of the 14 Wisps in the item roulette.

Wisps.png.fe637563c19d690b1d13b6e6e76044a0.png

Pretty standard fare. There's Boost, Rhythm, Lightning, Cube, Void, Laser, Drill, Bomb, Spikes, Rocket, Quake, Burst and Eagle. The only ones missing are Asteroid, Hover and Frenzy. However there is a new pale green Wisp that looks like a ghost or phantom of sorts. That's... kinda a little bit interesting I guess, maybe? 

Meh

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

The Sega rep was a little wobbly early in the interview, but he does explicitly say they've revealed six characters, which supports the notion that Egg Pawn isn't playable. I'll echo Plasme's concerns about the AI though - the player won first place but only won the race by a single point. That's very worrying when it's clear there isn't a way to play this like a conventional racer. The team gimmick is decent in concept, but you've got to get the execution right.

It'd be really nice to have Sumo chime in on the game here soon.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Here's some more gameplay. The character interactions suggest custom team building might not be in the cards, but there's still a chance if Team Dark's Team Ultimate is the same as Team Sonic's. Also apparently Power Type racers have exclusive wisps, and it seems like the Lightning one is our Blue Shell.

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Slowing that footage down, you can see all of the 14 Wisps in the item roulette.

Wisps.png.fe637563c19d690b1d13b6e6e76044a0.png

Pretty standard fare. There's Boost, Rhythm, Lightning, Cube, Void, Laser, Drill, Bomb, Spikes, Rocket, Quake, Burst and Eagle. The only ones missing are Asteroid, Hover and Frenzy. However there is a new pale green Wisp that looks like a ghost or phantom of sorts. That's... kinda a little bit interesting I guess, maybe? 

Meh

This is the first new Wisp since SLW. And it looks like a corrupted Wisp. So maybe Bomb is indeed a corrupted Wisp? Some were speculating Asteroid was the purified form of Void Wisp due to a similar power and design. So is this teal one a corrupted Cyan Laser? And maybe Bomb is a corrupted Burst, but what would that make Frenzy? It’s also possible the three missing Wisps, as well as more new ones, aren’t in this demo.

Yeah, the character dialogue is worrying me a tad too.

Hate to be the pessimist, but I think both All Stars Racing look better than this. Not that I think that this'll be bad, and I'm excited for a Sonic racing game, but this is underwhelming so far honestly.

And seeing how much other games such as Smash have delivered so well at E3, it kind of makes this look even worse. Unlike Mania, which could stand toe to toe with the E3 giants.

And two other things. I hate the music for Planet Wisp, they've butchered that track as far as I'm concerned. And the Ultimates are terrible, way worse than even Transformed's dumbed down all star moves (compared to the original all stars racing).

• Thumbs Up 2