Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - E3 Demo Footage/Impressions

Wraith

On 6/12/2018 at 7:49 PM, Jango said:

Forcing you into teams and make you race hoping that your AI teammates don't suck is a fear I couldn't put to rest after watching these gameplays, sadly. Told you it wasn't the greatest idea. Different of course. But you all saw how it turned out. Sure it's early to judge a 100%... but from the get-go I knew these flaws would show up.

Anyways, if you can't even mix team members, then hell, why even bother?  

Maybe it'll be like Mario Kart Double Dash where you can mix up the teams as a later reward.

12 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

Maybe it'll be like Mario Kart Double Dash where you can mix up the teams as a later reward.

On Stadium's interview Aaron confirmed that, unless Sumo change that, you'll be able to mix teams in Free Races modes (aka modes that aren't Adventure mode), so you'll be able to have either balanced mix or all racers of 1 car type on your team.

• Thumbs Up 3

20 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

" Not so ultimate huh ?"

Bam

I just thought of that

" Powers can't help you, in machines i'm the king!" 

Bam

Pay me

That's still being a jerk 

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's still being a jerk 

I don't mind friendly jaunts, just make it fit the character

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

At least, that's what I gather when he's being referred to as an asshole.

I think its this in combination with tail's last apperences , people have begun to start hating tails. He has gone from a friendly sidekick to scrappy doo in a lot of folks's mind, and stuff like this doesn't really help the perception of the character. Even in spin offs it helps to keep the characters somewhat on brand to sell them, so yeah

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, let's break it down: I kind of wanted Mighty, Ray (and Nack, alongside classic variants) to be in this game, but once I saw the roster count, no way, they are playable in Mania Plus, aren't they? Isn't that enough? Can modern characters get to shine in a spin-off?

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Why does this suck? Because modern characters are in? XD

Interview by TSS with Aaron by the way: https://www.sonicstadium.org/2018/06/tss-e3-2018-interview-with-aaron-webber/

> Don't expect Mighty, Ray or classic characters. Yay

Ain't it funny that we're all happy that Mighty and Ray won't be in this game? In another time and another place we'd be sad because their modern version won't appear.

The thing is we're happy because we will not see classic crap in that game.

• Fist Bump 1

Hmmm well, I would have liked to see """classic crap""" in this game, though ideally it wouldn't just be Classic Sonic. For one thing there's a few unique characters associated with Classic that I like, and aside from that I think it's perfectly valid to prefer the older designs. They'd be nice as skins at least.

It's kinda like the whole stages thing, where I feel like spin-offs are a very different context and should be treated as such. I'd actually love to see Chemical Plant in this! Maybe they could incorporate the bouncy floors from Mania, that'd be pretty fun!

Though as far as classic stages go I'm really hoping for Lava Reef because I want to see that level in 3D (and not just in Lego Dimensions XP).

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Ain't it funny that we're all happy that Mighty and Ray won't be in this game? In another time and another place we'd be sad because their modern version won't appear.

The thing is we're happy because we will not see classic crap in that game.

You know which character would be cool instead? Infinite. After all, he is a modern character.

Just now, Jango said:

You know which character would be cool instead? Infinite. After all, he is a modern character.

Yeah, but I'd prefer to keep him off this game and have him have a major return in a major story in a main game.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah, but I'd prefer to keep him off this game and have him have a major return in a major story in a main game.

Wait, but didn't you said a few pages back that if a game has a story mode you consider it main series? 🤔🤔

I really hope Infinite is in, he's a great character.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wait, but didn't you said a few pages back that if a game has a story mode you consider it main series? 🤔🤔

I really hope Infinite is in, he's a great character.

I agree, if he’s not tied up in Mania Plus, it’d be great to see him better-written here. Surely a lot better than the one-dimensional, overrated recolors that are the Hard-Boiled Heavies.

Infinite's not a good character, just a good design. Thankfully that's all you really need in a racing spinoff.

Let us take off the mask though.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bobnik said:

On Stadium's interview Aaron confirmed that, unless Sumo change that, you'll be able to mix teams in Free Races modes (aka modes that aren't Adventure mode), so you'll be able to have either balanced mix or all racers of 1 car type on your team.

I hope so, I want to race with Sonic, Amy, and Tails on the same team.

This all ties into something I said a while ago on here but was shot down on by various members. This is the result of this strict classic/modern dimension split they are going for. Mighty and Ray belong to the 'Classic' universe, and so wouldn't appear in a 'Modern' universe game like this. Aaron basically said in his interview that the team are focusing on putting 'Modern' characters in. 

I'm really fed up with this 'Classic' and 'Modern' strict universe split. Having Fang in this game would be cool, but he can't be in because he's a 'Classic' character and so he's in a different dimension. The whole thing is so stupid. Mighty, Ray and Fang are Sonic characters, their different appearance is just a difference in art style. Just redesign him to make him fit into the current art style and it would be fine. 

I like all Sonic characters, they shouldn't be relegated to separate dimensions. Fang should be able to appear in a 'Modern' game and Blaze in a 'Classic' game. 

I rue the day that SEGA/Sonic Team decided to split the Classic and Modern designs into different dimensions. It's such a stupid idea. I understand having a Classic 2D and more Modern 3D parallel game series. That makes sense because the gameplay styles are so different. But this whole approach of dividing the two series into different dimensions and strictly stopping any character spillover (aside from Classic Sonic ironically enough) is so irritating. And all over a minor difference in art style for most the characters.

• Thumbs Up 5

From recent footage, it can be seen Eggpawns operate in teams of three identical units. If this isn’t the nail in the coffin for their playability, then they’d be wasting 9 slots. 

2 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I hope so, I want to race with Sonic, Amy, and Tails on the same team.

against Shadow, Knuckles, Silver. Team Rivals.(of Sonic)

5 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Let us take off the mask though.

lol Funny joke. That mask is going nowhere bro.

6 hours ago, Jango said:

It’s not like the Heavies are any better... 

Honestly, the minute I saw the roster number, I knew they weren't going the route of having classic characters in there. 

I mean, it would have been a long shot at best to be honest. The spinoffs have a spotty and inconsistent history with how and when it does cross-promotion like this. There's the Mario and Sonic series, which did nods to both Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Boom at one point or another (the latter for Sticks), and Classic Sonic is given classic cross-promotion where it wouldn't really affect things (aka the mobile games basically, with Runners and Speed Battle doing it), but otherwise stuff like that is pretty limited. And just to note a couple of things;

-Yeah, there's a history of other SEGA properties crossing both in Riders and the Sega All Stars series. The Sonic series has a longer history of doing that and it's practically interwoven into the series' fabric (remember SA1 and SA2 both had NiGHTS references). 

-What they did with Sonic Lost World wasn't so much cross-promotion as trying to get Lost World embedded into the fabric of the series. See Zavoc in Forces and TSR's art style deriving more from that than the games Planet Wisp appeared in. 

I think the big question mark is if Infinite will be involved. On the one hand, he shouldn't be aligned with Eggman at this point and it would seem out of place for him to be here. On the other hand, with Eggman being Power and Infinite looking more like a Tails stand-in than Zavok, he's probably got an edge over him at least.

Unless they pull a blinder and put Tails Doll in there. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility compared to the rest of the classic cast, what with the Adventure dolls looking like him, his character artist having worked on Lost World, making a cameo in Lego Dimensions thanks to its developer (Dimensions notably being a modern Sonic showing), and the R in Racing making a reference to Sonic R despite not being based on its style. That said, I'd still find it incredibly unlikely. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think the big question mark is if Infinite will be involved. On the one hand, he shouldn't be aligned with Eggman at this point and it would seem out of place for him to be here. On the other hand, with Eggman being Power and Infinite looking more like a Tails stand-in than Zavok, he's probably got an edge over him at least.

Do we know that Eggman is a Power character though? He could be Technique, unless it's been stated otherwise.

Eggman could be either. I really hope there is no Tails Doll or Metal Knuckles, if they want to reference that game, just use a track.

I wasn't expecting Classic characters, but they would've been nice.

I'm glad you're able to mix up the teams. Hopefully, they provide the characters for my Team Purple consisting of Espio, Blaze, and Big.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Pawn said:

Do we know that Eggman is a Power character though? He could be Technique, unless it's been stated otherwise.

A preview confirmed Eggman as Power, another one Amy as Technique. Remains to be seen if it's true, but I can see it happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

A preview confirmed Eggman as Power, another one Amy as Technique. Remains to be seen if it's true, but I can see it happening.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, we'll have to wait to be sure they didn't mean Omega and Rouge. I'm really hoping that Infinite is not wasting a slot. I'd be more up for Sumo creating their own robot to team with Metal and Eggman than him show up. Maybe Chaos could be mind-controlled or some shit. Probably not, though.

EDIT: Hell, why not just a fucking Motobug car? A slot for the first ever badnik would be cool and its still relevant to modern games.

image.png.9d4cc6290cbcf32d22e61921310a3873.png

Maybe not quite like that..

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait... If Amy is tech... Blaze confirmed part of Team Rose? Cream can't/won't be speed. I actually doubt she would be in to begin with. So Team Rose is likely going to be Blaze, Amy and... Big!

• Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1