Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - E3 Demo Footage/Impressions

Wraith

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Victory 64 said:

Do they ever shut up?

But they also talked in Sonic Riders.

5 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Got the other two billboards! Though no one would consider Eggman a surprise, I guess

image.png.f4d0b170d6401369c492517860ba538c.pngimage.png.d01a7aa2f1c5dd2960d976bfb9f65940.png

What's the first billboard about?

Team-Sonic-Racing_2018_06-05-18_003.jpg

Team-Sonic-Racing_2018_06-05-18_009.jpg

More details at the following sites...

Comics Gaming Magazine, 

Eurogamer, 

Gameblog

The Hollywood Reporter, 

Kotaku UK, 

Shacknews, 

USgamer,

VentureBeat

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/team-sonic-racing-pre-e3-2018-previews-screenshots

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But they also talked in Sonic Riders.

What's the first billboard about?

Oh my Lord... it's a reference to Rad Mobile!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Where's the steering wheel? How's he controlling the car?

Or did his legs transform into a car? =O

I'm glad there isn't any transforming, I was never a fan of the boat and plane controls in Transformed, although the concept was really great.

I think where SUMO really excels are the levels and feeling of the game. While the racing isn't spectacular in itself, I think the tracks and looks of the level sell it. And while I know a lot of people hate Lost World's art design, I like it myself. I have a bit of a problem here though,. because I can barely tell it's Planet Wisp. But I'll be able to tell more when I see more of the level.

I'm hoping the online's going to have some effort put into it by the interview, a proper online Sonic game would be fun, even if it is a racer.

Meh, looks all right, but a bit samey looking.  For their sake I sure hope the rest of the tracks don't look so... boring.  It's not helped by the tiny cast.  If you're going to make a Sonic kart racer have only Sonic characters then you've gotta include the obscure stuff as well to make things at least a tad more interesting.  Right now, my thoughts go towards okay, but dully safe.

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Pfft! I swear, Omega's car looks like it was built out of kids construction toys!

====================

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the Team mechanic so far. While it helps prevent this from simply being "All-Stars Racing 3 minus the All-Stars", I do hope that the game includes a non-team-based mode as well, at least for variety's sake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks okay, I’ll need more characters and footage for my full thoughts.

Gotta SEGA some credit, they’re trying to implement Wisps into other gameplay mechanics with the Wispsons and now as racing items.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dee Dude said:

Looks okay, I’ll need more characters and footage for my full thoughts.

Gotta SEGA some credit, they’re trying to implement Wisps into other gameplay mechanics with the Wispsons and now as racing items.

And including Chao AND Wisps in the same game.

I love the chao crowd.

1 hour ago, JezMM said:

Seems about exactly as I imagined it'd be in motion.  The music seems nice, though a little unfitting for Planet Wisp

Well in the first ASR you could choose from multiple songs for that stage. Who knows, maybe that’ll be implemented here

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

And including Chao AND Wisps in the same game.

I love the chao crowd.

Where them Flickies at tho

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Well in the first ASR you could choose from multiple songs for that stage. Who knows, maybe that’ll be implemented here

That makes sense in ASR1 where the music was all selections from past titles but, much like in Transformed, it's pretty unusual to happen in a game with bespoke music pieces created for the game's stages.  Like it happened in Generations but that was a celebratory game so music unlocks made more sense there too.

Either way, generally speaking I prefer to use a soundtrack that's new for a new game than use songs I've heard a million times before.  The unlockable music in Generations saw very little use for me personally, so even if we could use the original Planet Wisp theme, the utility probably wouldn't interest me much unless... the new music is like super bad, which it doesn't seem to be, just unfitting and lacking in personality beyond being Jun's "house-style".

Okay, that Kotaku screenshot says to me that the Egg Pawns aren't actually playable. I dunno if they're story fodder or just placeholder to hide the rest of the playable cast, or maybe even both. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

The only negative I have is this horrible art style that the series has been rocking since Sonic Lost World. It makes the environments feel blocky and artificial.

Just compare Planet Wisp in Generations to the one here.

large.jpg

De7-VmJXUAEYkm5.jpg:large

Look at the hills and rocks and you'll know exactly what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Looks good but I get the feeling that it probably won't be as good as Transformed was for me. I really like how the teamwork gimmick is being used, and heavy emphasis on team work where an entire team needs enough points to win is kinda nice, but just watching the gameplay video left me feeling a bit eh? I'm guessing it's because there was nothing dynamic really happening in the level, and with Transformed, I just loved how much the levels would change to accommodate for the change in style to plane to boat. The whole 3 styles of racing is what really sold me on Transformed and turned it into a day 1 purchase, and with the dynamic transitions in levels, it really gave the game this sort of...edge and hype. That same sort of edge and hype seems to be completely void from this game. It looks like it'll be a standard Sonic racer, but mostly All-Stars Racing 3: Sonic Edition. 

And I'm not trying to downplay anything or make it seem like it'll be the worse among the Sumo Digital racing trilogy or anything like that. So far, my mind and feels seem pretty set on it not being better than Transformed (the first game is up in the air), but I'm definitely positive I'm going to have a lot of fun with this game at the end of the day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, looks like your standard Sumo racing affair. Though, I have to say, I am a bit off put by the whole team mechanic. It sounds pretty neat on paper but I honestly hope that there's a single racer, more traditional mode. I can already see myself getting pretty tired of doing well but having team members that don't pull their weight and we end up losing because of it. That or I perform poorly and it either hurts my whole team or I get carried which isn't great either. I appreciate them trying to add something new to the standard racing formula, but I feel like there should be modes in there for more standard play.

Honestly, this entire thing feels like an extra mode rather than what should be the base game.

As for the graphics... again, eh. It looks like they're using the same engine as ASRT with some minor tweaks so while it looks ok overall, it already seems a bit dated. Especially when putting it up against MK8.

Music sounds good though, from what I was able to hear over Sonic's constant talking. Really hope they either tune that stuff down or give us the option to mute it completely.

Also, now with team dark being confirmed we can probably already guess that the full chaotix team is going to be in there. My bet is that team Eggman will consist of the egg pawn, metal sonic, and eggman himself. The final 2 slots (one being taken by Amy probably) are a mystery though (please for the love of god include Blaze)... it'll probably be cream and big though for team rose...

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

The only negative I have is this horrible art style that the series has been rocking since Sonic Lost World. It makes the environments feel blocky and artificial.

Just compare Planet Wisp in Generations to the one here.

*snip*

Look at the hills and rocks and you'll know exactly what I mean.

Doesn't look any more artificial than when they made the dirt checkerboard-patterned back in 1991.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Doesn't look any more artificial than when they made the dirt checkerboard-patterned back in 1991.

Well here's the thing. It doesn't have to be 100% realistic or believable. Sonic games have always tried to look detailed and surreal at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 4

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnddddddddd just like that, Mario Cart has competition. I mean I suppose it's not a surprise that it's very much like Mario Cart in some ways, but I really cannot get past that fact. Not to mention if characters will be talking all the time, that'll get annoying. I'd rather hear the cheers, screams, and wooping noises of the Mario characters in their cart games over this. Hell I'll take what Sonic Riders did with characters over this.

The wisps are nice addition as usables, though... eh. Nothing too impressive.

The music being the only attractive thing I can think of. The Sonic series has rarely ever had horrible music, if at all.