Jump to content
simtek34

Team Sonic Racing - Developer Interview

Recommended Posts

The "Why is Sonic in a car?" question has persisted so long that they felt the need to explain it in the Adventure mode. 

Sure, for those who lack common sense and aren't aware of the concept of cheating in a kart racing competition, I suppose.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marcello said:

Question: Is there a reason you decided against not using the plane and boat from ASRT?

Answer: Well, you see, it's been a while since there's been a Sonic-only racer, so we really wanted to do that again!

🤔

Maybe planes and boats don't exist in the Sonic universe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marcello said:

Question: Is there a reason you decided against not using the plane and boat from ASRT?

Answer: Well, you see, it's been a while since there's been a Sonic-only racer, so we really wanted to do that again!

🤔

I wonder why he just didn't say "Because we wanted to do something different"? Seriously man, the answer for some of these could be so straight forward yet they have to come up with these super lame ones that never even answer the actual question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's incredibly disheartening to hear that they're already "moving away" from cross platform play. It's a feature this game sorely needs. I get that Sony has been kind of a dick when it comes to it and they hold most of the peas in their pod, but it really is something I think just about every 3rd party game should look into on other platforms. It should be way more common of a feature than it is.

Unless there's some radical difference between versions, there's no excuse for not having it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The "Why is Sonic in a car?" question has persisted so long that they felt the need to explain it in the Adventure mode. 

Sure, for those who lack common sense and aren't aware of the concept of cheating in a kart racing competition, I suppose.

 

 

Either Sonic just says "Because I like cars lol" or there's an actual story reason, like he lost his speed or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To this day, I still do not understand how people single out Sonic for driving a car like every-fucking-body else doing the same.

I’m more convinced people are being petty and making excuses so they can complain about it. Not sure if people are still doing it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually because it's a bit of a waste to make a pretty generic kart racing game that basically any character could've been shoved into instead of taking advantage of the fact that he is already fast on foot and using that to explore a different and more unique kind of racing game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They wanted to make a Kart racer. That will always be the answer to the question. An on foot racer would be a completely different and way more complex undertaking. 


I wouldn't be opposed to one, but I wouldn't want the guys who have been mostly making Kart racers for years to do something like that anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waitwaitwait, back it up a moment. We really need a story reason for why Sonic is driving a car? I was under the impression that Sonic was a firm believer in a fair fight, hence why he used the Extreme Gear and the sword in Black Knight. But I guess that's not enough, so we'll just see if Sonic is paraplegic or has the gout in this universe or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I ever saw anyone unironically complain about it "not making sense" or whatever so I've kinda gotten more tired of people complaining about the alleged complaining than the alleged complaining. :V Like are y'all getting these from comments sections or something, because if so...what exactly do you expect from those?

Now if the complaints are actually just about wanting an on-foot racer instead then that's...actually completely fair. I don't really care personally tho'.

7 hours ago, Razule said:

Maybe planes and boats don't exist in the Sonic universe? 

Nobody tell Tails.

18 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Waitwaitwait, back it up a moment. We really need a story reason for why Sonic is driving a car? I was under the impression that Sonic was a firm believer in a fair fight, hence why he used the Extreme Gear and the sword in Black Knight. But I guess that's not enough, so we'll just see if Sonic is paraplegic or has the gout in this universe or something.

I mean, realistically...that's probably gonna be the explanation here, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking on meta terms, I think "it's about fairness" is a lame excuse when the Sonic series is defined by nearly all of its characters being insanely fast and not just Sonic. Even Sonic isn't always running as fast as he does in the boost games. Sega can make the characters as fast or slow as they want to as they always have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

To this day, I still do not understand how people single out Sonic for driving a car like every-fucking-body else doing the same.

I’m more convinced people are being petty and making excuses so they can complain about it. Not sure if people are still doing it, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I hate that these people are nitpicking this. Don't feed these trolls, they just have some time to waste to try to sound smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine the story mode will be about a car racing tournament being set up with a particularly desirable prize, compelling car ownership in order to enter; higher or lower stakes as the plot demands.  (I assume something along these lines must have been the plot of Free Riders?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I imagine the story mode will be about a car racing tournament being set up with a particularly desirable prize, compelling car ownership in order to enter; higher or lower stakes as the plot demands.  (I assume something along these lines must have been the plot of Free Riders?)

Yes, Eggman disguised himself and was promising mountains of cash/treasures which he did not have.

Also, I noticed many haters in the youtube comment sections, saying it's too slow/ugly/why the fuck is Sonic in a fucking car/where the fuck are the other Sega characters/why is there no transformed....

And I DON'T CARE about any of them haters. I'm glad this a game that is only for SONIC, where we get the most Sonic characters since 10 years in a main game + Driving cars is fun, take that Sonic R purists.

 I mean, SEGA always had Sonic drive cars from time to time: Sonic Drift1/2, SA1, SA2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog (for Shadow), Sonic and Sega all star racing, Sonic Boom...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

And I DON'T CARE about any of them haters. I'm glad this a game that is only for SONIC, where we get the most Sonic characters since 10 years in a main game + Driving cars is fun, take that Sonic R purists.

Hey can we please not make this forum into GameFAQs by filling it up with posts like these? "You should be happy and if you're not happy with it then fuck off because the important thing here is that I am getting what I want"

Protip: stop looking at Youtube and news article comments. Maybe you'll get less angry about stuff that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sean said:

Hey can we please not make this forum into GameFAQs by filling it up with posts like these? "You should be happy and if you're not happy with it then fuck off because the important thing here is that I am getting what I want"

Protip: stop looking at Youtube and news article comments. Maybe you'll get less angry about stuff that way.

You're right, let's just be glad there are also many people who are excited for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It's actually because it's a bit of a waste to make a pretty generic kart racing game that basically any character could've been shoved into instead of taking advantage of the fact that he is already fast on foot and using that to explore a different and more unique kind of racing game.

Sounds more like that’s intentionally ignoring the point that it’s intended to be a kart racer from the start.

Doesn’t actually address what I was talking about tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.