Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing - Developer Interview

simtek34

The way I look at a game like this is Sonic's in a car because it's a racing competition that requires a car. Sonic's an extreme kind of guy who likes doing extreme things. Yeah sure he can run faster on his own but then he wouldn't be allowed to compete. If Sonic thinks it would be fun then what's the problem? 

Same with the Riders series having hover boards. It's an extreme sport and Sonic likes to do extreme things so yeah he's going to do it if he thinks it will be fun. 

Then you have games where he has snow boarding or street boarding segments. He could just run on foot but maybe he wants to do something else every once in awhile.

• Thumbs Up 2

That interview is great. Iizuka dodging the questions like a pro. Gotta love the old man, he's so unfocused in answering simple questions as he is in directing games. I knew Sonic Team had a finger on this game, that's why it's not looking bright. Forcing you into teams, that's one of their "great" ideas I bet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, this isn't that different from other game interviews I've seen (or heard about because the interviewee said something that annoyed people), particularly with devs rather than PR types. Iizuka is...decidedly not the latter, as we've known for a very long time now.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Jango said:

That interview is great. Iizuka dodging the questions like a pro. Gotta love the old man, he's so unfocused in answering simple questions as he is in directing games. I knew Sonic Team had a finger on this game, that's why it's not looking bright. Forcing you into teams, that's one of their "great" ideas I bet.

What are you mistakenly blaming Iizuka for this time exactly? Getting the Sonic franchise back on track with Colors and Generations suddenly equates itself to being unfocused? Come on Jango. This is as misplaced as when you tried to blame him for Mania's shortcomings before I contradicted your logic with child hards facts. 

I think you're barking up the wrong tree again if you're trying to pot shot Iizuka again. 

Also,  I know you've got sone grudge against the man,  but where are you getting the idea of teams even being forced on you? I'm not against negativity,  unless it doesn't make sense in cases like this. 

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Promotion 1

7 hours ago, Jango said:

Sir Richard Jacques is a god and should return for this. 

Jun? Well... Indeed sounded like him, a 12 seconds loop track 😕

Hopefully Ohtani and Hataya could be involved too, or, you know, ALL the other composers you have at your hands, SEGA? You guys remember the last soundtrack Jun composed all by himself, right?

And that can be blamed on the instruments, which remained poor even with a shift in composer.

I actually quite like the graphics. I'm interested in the team mechanics as it can spice some things. The dialogue could use some work though, but nothing too awful. Overall, I'm pretty excited for the game. Might actually buy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Bobnik said:

This person translated the Famitsu article about TSR. It's mostly what we've already known, except for some tidbits:

- There's a third mechanic called Touch Dash: "Graze nearby slow members to speed them up"

- "In Team Sonic Racing, stats like max speed & cornering are basically determined by types (Power/Speed/Tech). But there are parts that can be obtained and equipped to customize the car. You can even modify the car's looks as well." Looks like they're ditching the mod system for a somewhat more elaborate system, like part (IMO it's awesome)

- "Takashi Iizuka mentioned in the interview that he talked with Sumo Digital "Let's make something together again."

- "BGM is being handled by Jun Senoue as usual" (laughing at "as usual" part)

I posted this here cuz I think it fits here the most, but if mods think a poat would be better in another topic, I'd be glad to post it there.

So, Injustice 2 levels of customization? Only this time, on the karts? I remember Injustice 2 giving upgrades and such for parts equipped on the hero, even giving/changing moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew they wouldn't bring back the transforming element to be honest, I always saw it as a one time thing, even though I'm sad to let it go, and I also expected them to put some new gimmick, IMO it's a fresh thing, this team gimmick, I haven't seen many racer titles with it. Besides, if they used the transformed vehicles again, people would have complained:
"Ew, you rehashed the gimmick, this game has nothing new, it's cheap and plays like its predecessor"

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jack the Maniac said:

Besides, if they used the transformed vehicles again, people would have complained:
"Ew, you rehashed the gimmick, this game has nothing new, it's cheap and plays like its predecessor"

Fair enough. Hopefully, the team mechanic can help replace the transformations

7 hours ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

What are you mistakenly blaming Iizuka for this time exactly? Getting the Sonic franchise back on track with Colors and Generations suddenly equates itself to being unfocused? Come on Jango. This is as misplaced as when you tried to blame him for Mania's shortcomings before I contradicted your logic with child hards facts. 

I think you're barking up the wrong tree again if you're trying to pot shot Iizuka again. 

Also,  I know you've got sone grudge against the man,  but where are you getting the idea of teams even being forced on you? I'm not against negativity,  unless it doesn't make sense in cases like this. 

Back on track for like, barely a year. Later on the franchise got off the rails yet again with a stream of bellow average games: S4, Lost World, Boom, Forces... granted he wasn't heavily involved in Boom or S4, but it's still Sonic, it's their creation. Things were not looking the best untill the hard work of Christian, Stealth and Pagoda West put the brand back on track again, to the point of been called "best Sonic game ever" more than once. For 3 months ;( Iizuka gave the OK to them, fine. He also gave the OK to BRB. Christian and his team were the ones working hard on the art direction, animations, level design, sound design, physics, stuff Sonic Team were actually indeed concerned untill Gens, I give you that, but after it... Everything was lost and average games were forced into us. And that's what I consider facts, Jova. How the games turn out. How was the reception. And they were not the best after Gens untill Mania.

Also, I have nothing against the person of Iizuka (aside from the fact that he really should take care of his dental health), I just think it's time to let the guy go.

Iizuka's great in terms of interacting with fans. He's also progressive in terms of working with Team Mania, I could never imagine Nintendo doing something like that. I think he has a lot of positive qualities.

But I'd agree that he has no idea what to do with this franchise. I remember he was really worried that Mania wouldn't be received well, but for some reason clearly thought Forces was a great idea.

I'd like to see him stay as Head of Sonic Team, because I think he's good in that role, but I think he needs to seriously learn what is good for this fanbase, and stay clear from working on the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Iizuka's great in terms of interacting with fans. He's also progressive in terms of working with Team Mania, I could never imagine Nintendo doing something like that. I think he has a lot of positive qualities.

But I'd agree that he has no idea what to do with this franchise. I remember he was really worried that Mania wouldn't be received well, but for some reason clearly thought Forces was a great idea.

I'd like to see him stay as Head of Sonic Team, because I think he's good in that role, but I think he needs to seriously learn what is good for this fanbase, and stay clear from working on the games.

His decisions are mainly to attract players. Some were good, some were bad.

-Have idea of a Sonic RPG for SA1.

-Create Chao to motivate players to play more.

-Create Big for players who wanna take it at their own pace.

-Re-introduce Chaotix as new characters for the story of Heroes.

-Remove Chao because Heroes is just for action speed gameplay.

-Remove animals from badniks in Heroes so that players don't get confused why there's no chao garden...

-Re-introduce classic Sonic in forces because fans liked it! (this one is obviously bad, but the other decisions range from ok to great).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

h a stream of bellow average games: S4, Lost World, Boom, Forces... granted he wasn't heavily involved in Boom or S4, but it's still Sonic, it's their creation.

And yet, you're blaming him for all those. That's flawed thinking. Never mind the fact that your mileage may vary when it comes to considering Lost World and Forces "below average". The series isn't even in the toilet it used to be. Also, again, I think you don't quite realize how much influence on certain games Iizuka even has these days if that's your mindset. He's stationed in Sega of America, which didn't really have any impact on Forces.

At best, you could maybe go after him for one of those four games that aren't even all bad: Lost World, which was an experimental Nintendo exclusive in its day. At worst, harmless for Sonic's reputation, to the point where Gamespot even got called out for their BS IGN-equse review, and at best, legitimate good fun for players.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Iizuka gave the OK to them

Shall I remind you of how Whitehead went into great detail about how Iizuka actually gave something of a direct hand of help during production of Mania. helped formulate and even think up some of the crazier ideas in Mania that fans enjoyed? I have the article on hand just like last time I proved you wrong. You wanna pot shot Iizuka, you've got to back it up with proper research.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

And that's what I consider facts, Jova. How the games turn out. How was the reception. And they were not the best after Gens untill Mania.

Aside from the fact that opinions be opinions on how some games turned out, again. I pointed out to you, in clear detail, an interview with Christian Whitehead himself who stated how Iizuka  helped Mania be stronger than it would've been originally. And needless to say, Whitehead's words trump yours in the case of validity. So, if that's how you base 'em then, congrats, by your logic, Iizuka is good and progressive for the company.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

I remember he was really worried that Mania wouldn't be received well, but for some reason clearly thought Forces was a great idea.

Got a source for that?

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

He also was the one to contact Sumo to make a new game.

Huh, props to Iizuka for that as well. I'll give him this, despite SEGA of Japan's restraints Iizuka does often look for a way to strive for new stuff. It's obvious the man does listen to fans, despite what he's sometimes allowed to say PR-wise.

Now here's hoping that recent NiGHTS merchandise signals he's getting to work on  the NiGHTS 3 he's pined for.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

And yet, you're blaming him for all those. That's flawed thinking. Never mind the fact that your mileage may vary when it comes to considering Lost World and Forces "below average". The series isn't even in the toilet it used to be. Also, again, I think you don't quite realize how much influence on certain games Iizuka even has these days if that's your mindset. He's stationed in Sega of America, which didn't really have any impact on Forces.

At best, you could maybe go after him for one of those four games that aren't even all bad: Lost World, which was an experimental Nintendo exclusive in its day. At worst, harmless for Sonic's reputation, to the point where Gamespot even got called out for their BS IGN-equse review, and at best, legitimate good fun for players.

Shall I remind you of how Whitehead went into great detail about how Iizuka actually gave something of a direct hand of help during production of Mania. helped formulate and even think up some of the crazier ideas in Mania that fans enjoyed? I have the article on hand just like last time I proved you wrong. You wanna pot shot Iizuka, you've got to back it up with proper research.

Aside from the fact that opinions be opinions on how some games turned out, again. I pointed out to you, in clear detail, an interview with Christian Whitehead himself who stated how Iizuka  helped Mania be stronger than it would've been originally. And needless to say, Whitehead's words trump yours in the case of validity. So, if that's how you base 'em then, congrats, by your logic, Iizuka is good and progressive for the company.

Got a source for that?

Individual opinions, my friend, they don't count that much. The general consensus does, and all those games I've listed are bellow average or "okay" at best, something a franchise with over 25 years of story and a huge fanbase shouldn't aim for, c'mon. Granted the gap between "this is bad" and "this is good" isn't as big as it was in 2006, say. Those games are 50-50, 60-40 perhaps, which dang it, isn't something people should want. Sonic is worth more, Mania is there to proove it for goodness sake. They gotta find their feet. 

Also, yeah I know that Iizuka gave the idea of the Death Egg Robot in Green Hill, so? It was not also in Sonic 4, Generations and Forces, right? :V 

2 hours ago, Plasme said:

He's also progressive in terms of working with Team Mania, I could never imagine Nintendo doing something like that.

People have very strange ideas about Nintendo these days if they think the company doesn't accept pitches from outside developers and send their own producers to work with them to oversee products using their IP.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Jango said:

The general consensus does, and all those games I've listed are bellow average or "okay" at best,

That's incredibly debatable, and given your tendency to not back up your claims often, well, I mean if you're only going off review scores and not even reading them, that explains a lot. Actually listen to what the fans and critics say on the deepr level without letting the score swipe your attention.

Also,

a huge fanbase shouldn't aim for, c'mon.

Please don't repeat the stunt of throwing shade at a fans for liking or daring to speak positive of stuff you don't like and insulting them in the process, labeling them as aiming or settling for less.

Also, yeah I know that Iizuka gave the idea of the Death Egg Robot in Green Hill, so? It was not also in Sonic 4, Generations and Forces, right? :V 

Come now Jango. 

Have you forgotten the other details on this game? Remember, it was Iizuka's idea to beefen up Mania into the project it actually is in the first place. Another thing you have to thank him for, going off of the facts.

And let's not forget even further:

There’s a spirit with the whole team - both Sega and ourselves - where it’s just been a lot of fun to make. The two bosses that I couldn’t imagine us getting approval on to begin with were the Mean Bean Machine Boss in Chemical Plant Zone. We didn’t just want to put it in there. I was having trouble thinking of a novel boss for the Zone. We had already made a souped-up version of the original boss, so we needed something else. I just thought, “Wouldn’t it be funny if we made the boss just Puyo Puyo?” I thought Iizuka-san would just immediately veto it. But he said, “Let’s look into it.” And it made sense creatively for the game.

Our initial plan for the sequence of Zones - pretty much none of those made it in. I wasn’t all that disappointed, though, because there’s so many things we could have done. What we ended up with made sense. Both our side and Sega’s side pitched levels, and initially, we thought we were going to put the Zones in chronological order, but Iizuka-san was fine with us mixing it up.

The Death Egg  Robot idea was only one of Iizuka's contributions, especially considering how both the Mania team and Sega of America traded ides, working together for the project. A fact you seem content to often sweep under the rug, regarding SoA's helpfulness as opposed to being the hindrance you claim them to be.

Now, if you've got another source that's straight from the horse's mouth that can actually prove your accusations against Iizuka, in a straightforward manner, by all means, present it.

That said, on a whole, you're kind of veering off topic from your original claim of trying to blame Iizuka and throw shade at him without even providing evidence for your original accusation of Iizuka giving a terrible interview, Sonic Team somehow "ruining" this game, making conversation of the game unpleasant  for others in the process, and where you've got the idea that they're forcing a team mechanic on us. I mean, essentially this has turned into just another "Let's try to pot shot Iizuka, Sonic Team and anyone who speaks positive of them session", unless there's something to all of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

Got a source for that?

From 17:50.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

People have very strange ideas about Nintendo these days if they think the company doesn't accept pitches from outside developers and send their own producers to work with them to oversee products using their IP.

They do, but they don't from anyone considered 'outsiders' of the profession. They would no way in hell accept people like Whitehead. In fact, they would have sent him a cease and desist when he was working on his engine.

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Sonic Heroes said:

That's incredibly debatable, and given your tendency to not back up your claims often, well, I mean if you're only going off review scores and not even reading them, that explains a lot. Actually listen to what the fans and critics say on the deepr level without letting the score swipe your attention.

Also,

Please don't repeat the stunt of throwing shade at a fans for liking or daring to speak positive of stuff you don't like and insulting them in the process, labeling them as aiming or settling for less.

Come now Jango. 

Have you forgotten the other details on this game? Remember, it was Iizuka's idea to beefen up Mania into the project it actually is in the first place. Another thing you have to thank him for, going off of the facts.

And let's not forget even further:

The Death Egg  Robot idea was only one of Iizuka's contributions, especially considering how both the Mania team and Sega of America traded ides, working together for the project. A fact you seem content to often sweep under the rug, regarding SoA's helpfulness as opposed to being the hindrance you claim them to be.

Now, if you've got another source that's straight from the horse's mouth that can actually prove your accusations against Iizuka, in a straightforward manner, by all means, present it.

That said, on a whole, you're kind of veering off topic from your original claim of trying to blame Iizuka and throw shade at him without even providing evidence for your original accusation of Iizuka giving a terrible interview, Sonic Team somehow "ruining" this game, making conversation of the game unpleasant  for others in the process, and where you've got the idea that they're forcing a team mechanic on us. I mean, essentially this has turned into just another "Let's try to pot shot Iizuka, Sonic Team and anyone who speaks positive of them session", unless there's something to all of this.

Review scores, Metacritic/Rotten Tomates, like it or not, are what count, man... A few fancy words between reviews, or reviews writen in a positive way are cool and all, and Forces gotta those, you're not wrong, I've read them, but at the end of those same reviews there will be a 5 out of 10, and that shit counts 😕 

Also, no, they don't read to fans criticisms, dude. Forces is there to proove it, it's a fact. Game has a lot of things people were tired sick of: Wisps, again. Only Sonic playable, again. Classic Sonic pandering, again. Too much automation, again. Two to 3 hours lenght, again. Custom character over playable Tails/Knuckles. A one-off villain, again. Pontaff writing, again. 

BTW, I'm watching my tone and I'm not insulting or looking down anyone that likes Forces, so don't throw wood in the fire. I'm just saying that we, as fans and supporters of the franchise many grew up with, should demand great games, not "2-hours-long-inoffensive-at-worst" ones...

Also, the Puyo-Puyo boss? C'mon. Iizuka gave the OK, even Christian though he was going to be against it from the get-go lol 

Iizuka turning Sonic Mania into a full project, well thank God at last! After years of half-assed 2D experiences they've delivered, I think it was about time. Maybe Iizuka was on a good mood that day, as you know, he feared Mania wouldn't even be successful. Imagine that! A game made with care, focus and passion, successful? Crazy! :V

• Thumbs Up 2

I think longtime fans are gonna like this new game, because of all the adventure callbakcs, chao posters, the music, characters's themes...

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Jango said:

Review scores, Metacritic/Rotten Tomates, like it or not, are what count, man... A few fancy words between reviews, or reviews writen in a positive way are cool and all, and Forces gotta those, you're not wrong, I've read them, but at the end of those same reviews there will be a 5 out of 10, and that shit counts 😕 

Also, no, they don't read to fans criticisms, dude. Forces is there to proove it, it's a fact. Game has a lot of things people were tired sick of: Wisps, again. Only Sonic playable, again. Classic Sonic pandering, again. Too much automation, again. Two to 3 hours lenght, again. Custom character over playable Tails/Knuckles. A one-off villain, again. Pontaff writing, again. 

BTW, I'm watching my tone and I'm not insulting or looking down anyone that likes Forces, so don't throw wood in the fire. I'm just saying that we, as fans and supporters of the franchise many grew up with, should demand great games, not "2-hours-long-inoffensive-at-worst" ones...

Also, the Puyo-Puyo boss? C'mon. Iizuka gave the OK, even Christian though he was going to be against it from the get-go lol 

Iizuka turning Sonic Mania into a full project, well thank God at last! After years of half-assed 2D experiences they've delivered, I think it was about time. Maybe Iizuka was on a good mood that day, as you know, he feared Mania wouldn't even be successful. Imagine that! A game made with care, focus and passion, successful? Crazy! :V

Has it not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, the wisps and automation and all that is only a really common thread across the games Morio Kishimoto directed (Colours, Lost World, Forces, Secret Rings), in contrast to Generations, which wasn’t his joint?

And as such, has it maybe not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, he’s the one to actually blame for those? And that perhaps even that’s daft, because it’s Sonic Team and not just one guy making these games?

The fact you actually somehow try to spin the Puyo boss being approved as reflecting negatively on Iizuka just proves what Jova is saying. Even his point about Mania’s sales isn’t crazy, because there’s been notable discontent in recent years about the ‘indie’ trend of pixel art, daft as that is. 

• Thumbs Up 5

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

Mania itself still had one-off baddies and a few other typical sonic Team things, so it hasn’t broken completely free yet.

1 minute ago, Tracker_TD said:

Has it not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, the wisps and automation and all that is only a really common thread across the games Morio Kishimoto directed (Colours, Lost World, Forces, Secret Rings), in contrast to Generations, which wasn’t his joint?

And as such, has it maybe not occurred to you that maybe, just maybe, he’s the one to actually blame for those? And that perhaps even that’s daft, because it’s Sonic Team and not just one guy making these games?

The fact toy actually somehow try to spin the Puyo boss being approved as reflecting negatively on Iizuka just proves what Jova is saying. 

True after all I don't think Iizuka was inovlved directly in development since a while.

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

True after all I don't think Iizuka was inovlved directly in development since a while.

You’re right - Iizuka hasn’t hands-on directed a Sonic game since Shadow in 2005. 

I’m not trying to say Iizuka deserves no blame for Sonic’s struggles, but he’s far from the sole culprit and given he’s at SoA now I would argue it seems Forces was less to do with him and far more to do with the folks still at ST in Japan. 

• Thumbs Up 1