Awoo.

Mapping Mobius: Classic Era

MetalSkulkBane

South Island is the equivalent to New Zealand's South Island. They both appear to be relatively temperate.  I'm assuming that Green Hill is in that northernmost region as it looks the most tropical, and probably on the west coast as that's the wettest part of real South Island. They both have long ranges of snowcapped mountains. Real South Island is also marked with volcanism, which is seen in the Marble Zone. Green Hill Zone also has what appear to be Moai totem poles. Or the Sonic equivalent of the Moai. It does move around, but I think it probably stays relatively close to the same spot. 

Westside Island is Indonesia's Java. Westside Island and Java are both long and appear to be marked by a chain of volcanoes along the X axis, as seen in the Hilltop Zone. Westside Island seems to be a lot more tropical than South Island in general, which is analogous to our South Island and Java. It has many ruins similar to Java, but the Greek ones of Aquatic Ruin and the ancient Hindu Temples of Java don't have much in common besides being old. Java is very populated and is marked by industry, as seen in Westside Island's Oil Ocean and Chemical Plant. 

Angel Island is also marked by volcanism and large jungles, so I'm guessing it may have been part of Sonic's Indonesia equivalent before splitting. 

This is why I think there must be a Sonic equivalent to Easter Island far in the east, and I wanna see what it looks like. 

• Thumbs Up 5

19 minutes ago, Osmium said:

South Island is the equivalent to New Zealand's South Island. They both appear to be relatively temperate.  I'm assuming that Green Hill is in that northernmost region as it looks the most tropical, and probably on the west coast as that's the wettest part of real South Island. They both have long ranges of snowcapped mountains. Real South Island is also marked with volcanism, which is seen in the Marble Zone. Green Hill Zone also has what appear to be Moai totem poles. Or the Sonic equivalent of the Moai. It does move around, but I think it probably stays relatively close to the same spot. 

Westside Island is Indonesia's Java. Westside Island and Java are both long and appear to be marked by a chain of volcanoes along the X axis, as seen in the Hilltop Zone. Westside Island seems to be a lot more tropical than South Island in general, which is analogous to our South Island and Java. It has many ruins similar to Java, but the Greek ones of Aquatic Ruin and the ancient Hindu Temples of Java don't have much in common besides being old. Java is very populated and is marked by industry, as seen in Westside Island's Oil Ocean and Chemical Plant. 

Angel Island is also marked by volcanism and large jungles, so I'm guessing it may have been part of Sonic's Indonesia equivalent before splitting. 

This is why I think there must be a Sonic equivalent to Easter Island far in the east, and I wanna see what it looks like. 

Then considering that Sonic is from Christmas Island, out west of Australia's northern tip and south of Malaysia, it really makes his world start to look like it was inspired by the South Pacific. That could explain all of the gods and mysterious islands that show up in his lore all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Marble Garden Zone and Wacky Workbench also had evidence of humanity (those faces firing projectiles and an angel statue from WW's past).

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Only 3 thumbs up? Come people I'm this close to next rank 😕

What's to cover?

8 ) Sonic Mania: Huge Head Island

Now you know what he spend all his rings on.

Probably legends say this is home to Chaos Emeralds

True. Sonic 3 manual claims Angel Island was once part of continent, so there is at least one.

So, village of inteligent beans is canon as well? Besides, Scrath in Spinball is parf of actual pinball table. You can tell, by Sonic reflection and hands on sides.

That's what I'm suspecting is the case as well. But if Two Worlds is still canon to classic then maybe they are just in different dimension.

Whichever is true, I'm suspecting that some kind of Chaos Control event happened in the past (similar to Sonic X) moving one some locations to different part of planet or dimension which is why there are human pyramids next to echinda ruins.

Heck, if we push this theory further, maybe this is why Zones exists. Maybe very long time ago Chaos Control happened on immense scale, mixing different geographical structure in most chaotic way.

But of course Chaos Control is part of Modern World. So maybe humans just lived on angel-part-of-continent, then echindas moved in and build their stuff, then it flied into the sky with pyramids still on it.

That or I'm over-thinking what artist put in a background of genesis game.

And how do you know how mobian-like cities look like?

I doubt critters from Sonic 1 are peak of antropomorhic mobian civilisation level. For starters someone had to build all those ruins in South and West Side Islands.

We know little about present mobians, but we know for sure that mobian have acces to

1) vechicles (tornado, Amy car in Sonic R, Fang's Marvelous Queen)

2) weapons like in Tails Adventure, Kuku Armada and Fang's gun

3) icredibly durable gloves and shoes (even Knuckles has them somehow). Amy dress didn't grew on a tree.

I like the idea of Sonic having a private island. And that the other media at the very least exists in-universe to classic. Maybe Archie and Fleetway got canned earlier, due to them shifting to feeling more modern over time.  

Also, Sonic has a Hadoken-like technique in Chaos that has never been used by Modern. Where do you think that comes from?

22 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That's a lot and we didn't even looked at the island itself. Angel Island float in the air... but not at the start of the game. Be honest with me, how many of you noticed that in the game intro the floating island doesn't float? How many of you knew that crashing Death Egg lowered it in the ocean? ... ok, now how many of you noticed that in Sonic Mania the island is still in the ocean?

Hmm. I'm asking people at Sonic retro about it, but I want to find out if the current Sonic 3 Japanese manual translation is really from the 1994 manual, or if it's from the 1997 PC collection. Look at the revision history:

http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_manuals&action=history

In April 2018, Windii added his own translations. Before then, the page looked like this:

http://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_manuals&oldid=224511

On that page, the original Japanese manual never mentioned the Master Emerald (mighty stone) or that the Death Egg crash is what made Floating Island fall. I suspect that lore was developed for 1997 and the leadup to Sonic Adventure!

Instead, we see that Knuckles guards 7 Chaos Emerald altars on the island, and those emeralds all disappeared just before Knuckle(s) saw the "dragon egg" and Eggman. The implication being that the Floating Island sank because the Chaos Emeralds were gone - not because of the Death Egg crash.

As you can imagine, I'm quite eager to see if Windii's reshuffling is accurate. I'm bracing myself for nostalgic cultureshock!

The island was barely touched by Robotnik. Was it by short time or his uneasy alliance with Knuckles, Eggman build only two zones: Launch Base (makes sense, it was the closest) and Carnival Night. Good to see Eggman keeps his priorities straight (I suppose someone else could build it, but who, ancient echidnas? And who other than Eggman would be evil enough to create the Barrel?).

Ahem, who's to say Knuckles didn't build it for his animal friends, such as those hanging out with him in the S&K intro? He knows it well enough to give Sonic trouble two times in a single zone.

Who knows. Maybe Eggman had zero interest in carnivals until he saw the one on Angel Island!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Ahem, who's to say Knuckles didn't build it for his animal friends, such as those hanging out with him in the S&K intro? He knows it well enough to give Sonic trouble two times in a single zone.

Who knows. Maybe Eggman had zero interest in carnivals until he saw the one on Angel Island!

Or it was always there. If the civilization that lived on the island before Knuckles was advanced enough to build teleportation devices why couldn't they build an amusement park?