Awoo.

Which Sonic Game deserves a sequel the most?

DCFCSonic20

I better be specific when saying this, but which Sonic Game do you feel needs a sequel the most? Would it be one of the Classic games like CD or Mania? Or would it be one of the Adventure styled games? Maybe even one of the Modern games?

By the way, you can say anything apart from SA3 as that would be too popular in this discussion. 

Please label your key reasons as well as I'm curious.

The game for me would be Unleashed 2 as I feel it could offer the most in terms of level design and new world areas. It would be a nice way to bring back Chip and Darl Gaia in a big penultimate encounter. I think the story could revolve around Eggman summoning Dark Gaia by forcing a Total Solar Eclipse on the Earth to revive him and cause total destruction. 

Many games from Sonic franchise deserve a sequel. But even if that occurs, the sequel won´t be numbered. It´s quite clear why.

While I don't necessarily think it has to be a sequel, I'd like to see another stab at the Adventure formula.

• Fist Bump 2

Sonic Mania, because it was the best Sonic game since 3&K.

Sonic R, to make up for teasing it with Team Sonic Racing and because it's a better concept for 3D Sonic gameplay than anything Sonic Team's done in ages.

Sonic and the black knight to be honest. I think the game was onto something with the sword based combat and I feel like an expanded sequel without the on rails gameplay would be pretty sweet. Outside of that, i'd say sonic riders deserves another shot with the original gameplay of the first game.

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic Mania, because it was the best Sonic game since 3&K.

Sonic R, to make up for teasing it with Team Sonic Racing and because it's a better concept for 3D Sonic gameplay than anything Sonic Team's done in ages.

Even better than SA1? come on

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Even better than SA1? come on

I didn't say anything about SA.

Just now, Diogenes said:

I didn't say anything about SA.

Ah my bad. I thought because "better concept for 3D Sonic gameplay than anything Sonic Team's done in ages "

An interesting take but I expect without completely retooling the Werehog from a gameplay perspective using the Unleashed title wouldn't work. The Japanese title of World Adventure though would play well as a globetrotting sequel that. Conversely though, if the idea is more along the lines of Eggman releasing some new troublesome deity then I could see the Unleashed title being used again without relying on the Werehog or similar transformation based narrative.

For the thread topic itself I expect Mania to get a lot of recognition for deserving of a sequel, though I personally think plus needs to be experienced before anything is really said for that argument. Now while I wouldn't mind visiting Little Planet again with new time eras and to see how the world has changed and could further change since Sonic's last visit, I don't feel like that would work as an Eggman conflict since Eggman so rarely visits the grounds of his past defeats. Asides from that... Hmmm... 

Maybe Sonic R.

It's about the only Sonic racing game that I've played and that mixture of platforming and multi-path racing just tickles my fancy in a way no other racing game does. Considering the nature of the boost games and even to an extent parkour abilities from Lost World and I could see such a sequel being so much more than the original game in ways that would just blow my mind. Add point to point races and maybe a mode reminiscent of SEGA's own Outrun with multiple story paths and endings and I'd pretty much be in bliss. But now I'm rambling so I'll stop here.

Sonic Labyrinth 2. I can't imagine a Sonic game better than one where Sonic can't run fast. If not that then I guess Sonic Mania 2. Yeah Sonic Mania 2 would be pretty awesome.

• Chuckle 1

The Advance series. Or at least a spiritual sequel.

I'd really love a game that uses the same Genesis formula as Mania, but with the more varied modern cast of characters (Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Cream as well as others like Blaze, Rouge, Shadow and the Chaotix) and implementing some of the game mechanics that were featured in those titles like the air tricks, the tag teams, etc as I feel those ideas with some extra polish, had more to offer than Mania did. Kind of like the difference between the more evolved Megaman X series when compared to the more simplistic Classic Megaman.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Ah my bad. I thought because "better concept for 3D Sonic gameplay than anything Sonic Team's done in ages "

SA1 is nearly two decades old. I'd call that ages in this series' time.

I mean that doesn't make the statement right, but y'know.

Personally, I'd go for another Rush game, or at least for all the mobile games to get remasters the way the genesis 2D games have and yes I know S3K and Chaotix haven't

Now that the topics have been merged, I'm gonna go ahead and say that the game that would be the most fit for a sequel is Lost World.

30 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

The Advance series. Or at least a spiritual sequel.

I'd really love a game that uses the same Genesis formula as Mania, but with the more varied modern cast of characters (Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Cream as well as others like Blaze, Rouge, Shadow and the Chaotix) and implementing some of the game mechanics that were featured in those titles like the air tricks, the tag teams, etc as I feel those ideas with some extra polish, had more to offer than Mania did. Kind of like the difference between the more evolved Megaman X series when compared to the more simplistic Classic Megaman.

That would indeed be for the best. :) 

Obviously Sonic Adven...city facing game that is... Sonic Heroes. Sure why not. Let's try doing something with Sonic huge cast, actually 3 Levels that feel like 2D games and light tone with bigger stakes for a change.

Maybe ask Dimps for another Rush game, so see if they can still do it right (although there is a risk it will be bad, starting this terrible discussion "Was insert-Sonic-game-name ever good to begin with"). 

That's all can think of, minus the obvious game. Mania will get sequel anyway, so Classic fans don't need to wish for anything.

Another Tails game. I could see the series more or less becoming akin to Yoshi as a fun, experimental joyride for kids, but keeping the whole one-time villains angle and other distinct features. Remember games like Touch and Go? Maybe this would work well as an iOS series. 

Shadow sequel could work well, using assets from Forces to ease production. Keep the abstract and jagged level layouts, and fast arcade gameplay, along with plenty of weapons for Shadow to use. Realistic guns got backlash, so dial down on them and maybe have some 2x4 technology ala Kids Next Door as a major component. 

6 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Shadow sequel could work well, using assets from Forces to ease production. Keep the abstract and jagged level layouts, and fast arcade gameplay, along with plenty of weapons for Shadow to use. Realistic guns got backlash, so dial down on them and maybe have some 2x4 technology ala Kids Next Door as a major component. 

So Shadow using Wispons then?

Sonic Advance 3...clearly the evolution of the Classic series has been in desperate need of a new game. With less blocky levels, less do or die jumps, and extra moves that actually do something for the momentum based game-play that they were supposedly emulating.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic Advance 3...clearly the evolution of the Classic series has been in desperate need of a new game. With less blocky levels, less do or die jumps, and extra moves that actually do something for the momentum based game-play that they were supposedly emulating.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I would actually be okay with a classic series and Advance series running at the same time to kind of meet that Megaman/Megaman X comparison @Skull Leader made as it would let players have a choice between more detailed or more basic gameplay without really complicating the development since both would/could/should use the same engine. It also doesn't divorce the modern characters from the classic gameplay while still allowing SEGA to keep their Classic/Modern divide which opens up the opportunity to re-explore the style of games they used to do while still selling to the audience on both sides of their divide.

3 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

So Shadow using Wispons then?

Sorta. Just without the Wisps, unless we include these only in a level on a Wisp world.

Chronicles. I know that it’s not happening due to legal issues but that cliffhanger ending really bugs mre.

3 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

Chronicles. I know that it’s not happening due to legal issues but that cliffhanger ending really bugs mre.

Bugs you? It's simplest sequel hook possible, writing 101.

Just imagine Sonic Advance or even Pocket Adventures is a direct sequel: Sonic ran few zones, gave Eggman noogie few times and suddenly planet was saved.

That's how he did it in Forces. Or in any other game where Eggman control certain territory (read all of them) for that matters.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Bugs you? It's simplest sequel hook possible, writing 101.

Just imagine Sonic Advance or even Pocket Adventures is a direct sequel: Sonic ran few zones, gave Eggman noogie few times and suddenly planet was saved.

That's how he did it in Forces. Or in any other game where Eggman control certain territory (read all of them) for that matters.

What I like about Chronicles is that it has what Forces was lacking; the other characters actually doing something as opposed to doing nothing but sit around waiting for Sonic to save them.

Sonic R's awful though. I enjoy it, and it's a great piece of gaming trivia, but it plays horrendously and it's a terrible game in actuality. I don't know why anyone would want to go back to that. Especially when the Sumo Digital racing games are great. It would just be a massive risk of hurting the franchise's reputation further for the case of nostalgia and the gimmick of a Sonic racing game out of a car.