Awoo.

Jump Force (February 2019)| Goku in America

DiamondX

Ow. This game isn't out yet? I thought it was already out. And bombed. Oh well... I had hopes before watching some gameplay. 

So now One Piece, Dragon Ball, and Naruto all have 6 characters. I suppose that was to be expected given those are the three series on the front cover and all over the main marketing. It's better than what J-Stars Victory Vs+ did at least.

I really wish they had chosen a better character than boring, rank ass Kaguya though. I didn't even remember who she was when I saw her name. It reminded me more of the character from InuYasha. 

https://www.resetera.com/threads/jump-force-two-additional-characters-revealed-via-instagram-ad.94522/

Make it two.

Spoiler

There's also Jotaro from JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

Interestingly enough both him and Dai were datamined in J-Stars along DIO (part III) and Yoh from Shaman King.

EDIT: official reveal for Dai: https://gematsu.com/2019/01/first-look-jump-force-character-dai-from-dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/jump-force-taipei-game-show-2019-story-trailer-boruto-gameplay

Story trailer and Boruto gameplay.
Essentially:
*heroes can be corrupted with energy cubes, like Vegeta
*your CaC is essentially the same as in Destiny: you're a civilian that died and Trunks revives you with a cube that gives you the powers you need
*the convergence is having all sorts of chaotic effects, the goal of the villains is essentially pure chaos. Traditional crossover plot, it's almost the same in the Project X Zone games.
*Light's a dick and on the villain side for his usual world cleansing so he will come out on top at the end. What a shock.

I'm sold just as i was after the E3 reveal. And we still have the reveal of the other character who was spotted along Dai, so the roster is not completely done yet.

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/jump-force-adds-dio-from-jojos-bizarre-adventure-first-look-at-jotaro-kujo

Jotaro and DIO officially revealed. I'm pretty sure these are the last major reveals for the base roster, and if you ask me, it's pretty solid. Could have been more diversified pulling a OP or Naruto character away in favor of like Gintoki or Koro-Sensei, but i'm fine with this, and i'm confident the DLC will be mostly consistent of fan-favourites.

• 2 weeks later...

Any interest I’ve had kinda came to a hault after a few months, but this probably solidified it for me. Gonna wait till it’s in the bargain bin. Just wow, this looks so undercooked 

57 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Any interest I’ve had kinda came to a hault after a few months, but this probably solidified it for me. Gonna wait till it’s in the bargain bin. Just wow, this looks so undercooked 

To be honest this game lost me a week after it was announced when they said Ryuk wasn't playable.

Doesn't help the game just looked uglier and uglier with each update and the fighting just wasn't exciting me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god it's even worse than I thought it'd be (I've made my point about this game looking like complete ass before in this thread). The in-game fighting animations are undercooked, but the in-game cutscenes in general are absolute trash.

For context, it turns out they really skimped on the animation budget:

Barely any facial animation (and sure as hell nothing like expressions), characters move stiffly when they move at all, mocap that looks like it was recorded via Kinect, and there are literally sequences with movement with no animation whatsoever. Freeza floating upwards might be barely handwaved, but that Sanji clip is abominable.

I hope this game bombs. This is just inexcusable.

Shit game which is kinda sad since it looked kinda cool and interesting on reveal. Oh well at least I can laugh at this dumpster fire 

This is actually a PS2 game in disguise. Dem stiffy animations remind me so much of the first Ultimate Ninja games. It's kinda of a thing with anime games cutscenes, sad to see it didn't changed much, with the only exception being Naruto Ninja Storm, especially the last one, and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

This game itself never looked good to me to begin with. J-Stars for the PS3 looked tons better than this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

….What happened? I wasn't a fan of the visual style but it all looked pretty epic in some of those trailers, now it's looking like a bad joke.

I was hoping for a new Jump fighting game to match the awesomeness that was Jump Ultimate Stars, J-Stars wasn't it and this? Ugh....my heart is heavy with disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

40 minutes ago, DanJ86 said:

….What happened? I wasn't a fan of the visual style but it all looked pretty epic in some of those trailers, now it's looking like a bad joke.

I was hoping for a new Jump fighting game to match the awesomeness that was Jump Ultimate Stars, J-Stars wasn't it and this? Ugh....my heart is heavy with disappointment.

I mean, all of these issues are only in the story mode. Outside of that the game is fine I believe.

We really shouldn’t be excusing or defending very clear lazy and shoddy work. The story, which was a huge selling point, looks bad both narritively and visually, the actual visuals in general are terrible, and the gameplay doesn’t fare any better from what I’m hearing  

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, KHCast said:

We really shouldn’t be excusing or defending very clear lazy and shoddy work. The story, which was a huge selling point, looks bad both narritively and visually, the actual visuals in general are terrible, and the gameplay doesn’t fare any better from what I’m hearing  

I'm not defending it. Even I see the story cutscenes as lazy, but I was pointing out how the terrible looking parts are mostly related to story.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I'm gonna get this game. I wanted to, but now...

And people were complaining about KH3’s graphics? Well, at least KH3 the characters don’t move like mocap puppets. Hell, the Caribbean did what I think might be the best mocap in a non-real life game (well, technically speaking).

Okay, so I normally don’t like double-posting, but I just had to share this gif:

And trust me, the running animations are just as good.

So, I actually have the game. I'm just going to give you guys a quick review of it based on what I've played so far.

The fighting itself is fine. The animations and movement when you're doing the actual fighting is all what you'd expect. It's dynamic and looks cool. 

That said, so far, that's the only positive I have for this game. Anyone who wants to die on the hill that the rest of a game's presentation can suffer so long as the gameplay is fine can chew on this. These reactions from people who haven't played the game over the sheer awful execution of these shitty cutscenes, the bland and dry looking environments, and the stiff walk cycles when you're on the open field say a lot about the game without any of these people needing to play it. Animation, cutscenes, story, music, and presentation DO MATTER! Anyone who says that they don't need to re-evaluate the state of their brain. 

The roster was something I was a bit excited for when I found out there'd be six One Piece characters but I kind of wish they had done what the J-Stars game for the PS3 did and left it at that for only one of the three headliners on the front cover. The roster has 40 characters, with 9 planned as DLC later, but with One Piece, Dragonball, and Naruto having six each that's a full 18 characters to 3 series. Then Bleach and Hunter X Hunter have 4 characters each. Already you're at 26. More than half the roster and only 5 series covered. 

Compare that to J-Stars Victory Vs. where the most a single series had, One Piece, was 4 characters. And it was the only series to have that. Naruto and Dragon Ball each had only 3. The rest had either 2 or 1. However, they also had a similar number of characters which meant way more series were highlighted. Jump Force is lacking in series diversity because of this in comparison to its counterpart. There are 5 series represented here that weren't in J-Stars Victory Vs. Those are City Hunter, Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, Yu-Gi-Oh!, My Hero Academia, and Black Clover. The rest were in the last game. 

The series missing from this game compared to the last are Assassination Classroom, Beelzebub, Bobobo-Bobo-Bobo, Chinyuki: Taro to Yukai, Dr. Slump, Gintama, Hell Teacher Nube, Medaka Box, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Kochi-Kame (which is kind of shocking), Sakigake!! Otokojuku, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, Luckyman,  and Toriko (also surprising to me). That's 14 series that had playable characters in the last game that aren't here. Compared to the new ones Jump Force added, it's still 9 short of matching that. 

And that's not even going into the other series that got representation without having playable characters. J-Stars Victory Vs. also had supporting characters that could help you out in battle from already represented series to ones without fighters like D. Gray Man, Kuroko's Basketball, Haikyu!!, Neuro: Supernatural Detective, Nisekoi, Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar, Sket Dance, and To Love-Ru.

So to put things into perspective J-Stars Victory Vs. had 52 characters (39 playable) from 32 different series.

Jump Force currently has 42 playable characters from only 16 series. 2 of those playable characters are original characters created for this game by the way. Oh and your shitty avatar counts too I guess.

The avatar character creation is... alright. It's technically better than the one in something like Sonic Forces but to be honest I don't care. When it comes to a game like this, creating your own character and following him through a story about all these anime/manga characters going on an adventure is lame and dumb. I don't give a shit about my own character. I literally named him "Jobber". 

These cutscenes are terrible. Everytime one comes on, I can barely stomach reading the subtitles because the models look like they're about to fall over. The mouths barely move or sometimes don't move at all. Their movements are so creepy and weird. It's like someone is dressing up as these characters in one of those cheap Chuck E. Cheese costumes and are moving them about. Luffy, especially, looks like he's fucking dead. The environments are so flat and hard to look at. Coming off the beautiful spectacle that was Kingdom Hearts 3 it was painful coming to this and looking at it.

At least J-Stars Victory Vs. knew it couldn't animate for shit. That's why the story for that game used character artwork. At the time I thought I'd have wanted animated cutscenes but now I find myself grateful that they didn't even bother. Plus, the story split the narrative between Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, and Toriko and had them separate into teams to compete in a tournament around the world instead of trying to make you care about your own character. Which you don't and won't.

The art-style is atrocious. This realistic look they were going for only really works when the characters are moving really fast in the battles. And even then, only for some of them. Characters like Younger Togoro, Kenshiro, Ryo Saeba, and Jotaro can pull it off really well. Others like Luffy, Boruto, and ESPECIALLY Deku look awful. 

Poor Midoriya is the worst looking character in the game. They fucked up his eyes something fierce. Even Asta looks better than him and Asta looks bad even when he's looking his absolute best. There's no excuse for this.

But again. The fighting is fine. I can squeeze fun out of that as a typical fighter... but I do find myself thinking that J-Stars Victory Vs. also had something far more unique and interesting going for it. In that game, it was just one huge open arena where 4 people were on screen at once and you could choose to switch between fighting whoever you wanted. There was destructible terrain and all that stuff. Once I got used to it, I managed to get a lot of fun out of it. 

Here, it's just a typical one on one. You can choose to play as 3 characters to switch between but only one can be on screen at a time and you all share the same health bar. 

If I didn't make my money back doing a commission for someone, I'd probably be more upset that I didn't wait for this to hit the bargain bin. 

Don't waste your time and money on this. 

14 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

So, I actually have the game. I'm just going to give you guys a quick review of it based on what I've played so far.

The fighting itself is fine. The animations and movement when you're doing the actual fighting is all what you'd expect. It's dynamic and looks cool. 

That said, so far, that's the only positive I have for this game. Anyone who wants to die on the hill that the rest of a game's presentation can suffer so long as the gameplay is fine can chew on this. These reactions from people who haven't played the game over the sheer awful execution of these shitty cutscenes, the bland and dry looking environments, and the stiff walk cycles when you're on the open field say a lot about the game without any of these people needing to play it. Animation, cutscenes, story, music, and presentation DO MATTER! Anyone who says that they don't need to re-evaluate the state of their brain. 

The roster was something I was a bit excited for when I found out there'd be six One Piece characters but I kind of wish they had done what the J-Stars game for the PS3 did and left it at that for only one of the three headliners on the front cover. The roster has 40 characters, with 9 planned as DLC later, but with One Piece, Dragonball, and Naruto having six each that's a full 18 characters to 3 series. Then Bleach and Hunter X Hunter have 4 characters each. Already you're at 26. More than half the roster and only 5 series covered. 

Compare that to J-Stars Victory Vs. where the most a single series had, One Piece, was 4 characters. And it was the only series to have that. Naruto and Dragon Ball each had only 3. The rest had either 2 or 1. However, they also had a similar number of characters which meant way more series were highlighted. Jump Force is lacking in series diversity because of this in comparison to its counterpart. There are 5 series represented here that weren't in J-Stars Victory Vs. Those are City Hunter, Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, Yu-Gi-Oh!, My Hero Academia, and Black Clover. The rest were in the last game. 

The series missing from this game compared to the last are Assassination Classroom, Beelzebub, Bobobo-Bobo-Bobo, Chinyuki: Taro to Yukai, Dr. Slump, Gintama, Hell Teacher Nube, Medaka Box, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Kochi-Kame (which is kind of shocking), Sakigake!! Otokojuku, The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, Luckyman,  and Toriko (also surprising to me). That's 14 series that had playable characters in the last game that aren't here. Compared to the new ones Jump Force added, it's still 9 short of matching that. 

And that's not even going into the other series that got representation without having playable characters. J-Stars Victory Vs. also had supporting characters that could help you out in battle from already represented series to ones without fighters like D. Gray Man, Kuroko's Basketball, Haikyu!!, Neuro: Supernatural Detective, Nisekoi, Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar, Sket Dance, and To Love-Ru.

So to put things into perspective J-Stars Victory Vs. had 52 characters (39 playable) from 32 different series.

Jump Force currently has 42 playable characters from only 16 series. 2 of those playable characters are original characters created for this game by the way. Oh and your shitty avatar counts too I guess.

The avatar character creation is... alright. It's technically better than the one in something like Sonic Forces but to be honest I don't care. When it comes to a game like this, creating your own character and following him through a story about all these anime/manga characters going on an adventure is lame and dumb. I don't give a shit about my own character. I literally named him "Jobber". 

These cutscenes are terrible. Everytime one comes on, I can barely stomach reading the subtitles because the models look like they're about to fall over. The mouths barely move or sometimes don't move at all. Their movements are so creepy and weird. It's like someone is dressing up as these characters in one of those cheap Chuck E. Cheese costumes and are moving them about. Luffy, especially, looks like he's fucking dead. The environments are so flat and hard to look at. Coming off the beautiful spectacle that was Kingdom Hearts 3 it was painful coming to this and looking at it.

At least J-Stars Victory Vs. knew it couldn't animate for shit. That's why the story for that game used character artwork. At the time I thought I'd have wanted animated cutscenes but now I find myself grateful that they didn't even bother. Plus, the story split the narrative between Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, and Toriko and had them separate into teams to compete in a tournament around the world instead of trying to make you care about your own character. Which you don't and won't.

The art-style is atrocious. This realistic look they were going for only really works when the characters are moving really fast in the battles. And even then, only for some of them. Characters like Younger Togoro, Kenshiro, Ryo Saeba, and Jotaro can pull it off really well. Others like Luffy, Boruto, and ESPECIALLY Deku look awful. 

Poor Midoriya is the worst looking character in the game. They fucked up his eyes something fierce. Even Asta looks better than him and Asta looks bad even when he's looking his absolute best. There's no excuse for this.

But again. The fighting is fine. I can squeeze fun out of that as a typical fighter... but I do find myself thinking that J-Stars Victory Vs. also had something far more unique and interesting going for it. In that game, it was just one huge open arena where 4 people were on screen at once and you could choose to switch between fighting whoever you wanted. There was destructible terrain and all that stuff. Once I got used to it, I managed to get a lot of fun out of it. 

Here, it's just a typical one on one. You can choose to play as 3 characters to switch between but only one can be on screen at a time and you all share the same health bar. 

If I didn't make my money back doing a commission for someone, I'd probably be more upset that I didn't wait for this to hit the bargain bin. 

Don't waste your time and money on this. 

You summed it up perfectly where I couldn’t (because I’m start and don’t plan on buying this). In fact, I’m starting to notice a lot of similarities between this and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

The Metacritic scores for the game, for those wondering, are a 58 for PS4, a 60 for Xbox One, and no score on PC yet. Speaking of the PC version, I’ve heard, but can’t confirm, that supposedly, the UE4 project file for the WHOLE game is in the PC version for anyone to play around with. 

Despite everything, though, the game is at #4 in the UK charts.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-02-17-uk-charts-far-cry-new-dawn-is-no-1-but-metro-exodus-is-the-real-winner