Awoo.

DOOM Eternal - Mar 20, 2020

Polkadi~☆

No confirmed release date, consoles or anything. And gameplay will be shown at Quakecon.

But for now, a DOOM sequel is confirmed and I am fucking hyped.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

RIP AND TEAR.

Until it's never done.

Hope Doom never goes away. The Doom reboot is one of the best FPSes out there.

• Fist Bump 2

Since I'm a huge fan of the first Doom games for MS-DOS, this should be really good.

I still have to beat the 2016 game as well as Doom 3, though. 😑

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, now that I've gotten the time to settle down and study the trailer:

• Arachnotrons are back.
  • Arch-viles are back.
  • Pain Elementals are back
  • Barons of Hell have swords.
  • Imps have red eyes now...? EDIT: oh shit, they have their original design, omgomgomgomgomgomg
  • The Super Shotgun is sawed off.
  • Doom Slayer is wearing a reimagined version of his old armour! Note the sleeveless look, new plate over his stomach and new helmet.

Holy shit, I am hyped beyond relief.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

Doom is such an amazing franchise and I'm so glad to see it back in the spotlight again. The 2016 game is one of the best shooters I've ever played. And this just looks and sounds like a bigger, better version of that, so hell yeah, sign me up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bayonet spotted on Super Shotgun. This is turning out to be very interesting indeed.

This is dope but I really wanted some gameplay tbh. Still cool to know it's coming. I loved the 2016 game

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long. I don't really have much to add because I'm not a lifelong doom fan so I can't gleam much from the trailer and there's no gameplay. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

This is dope but I really wanted some gameplay tbh. Still cool to know it's coming. I loved the 2016 game

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long. I don't really have much to add because I'm not a lifelong doom fan so I can't gleam much from the trailer and there's no gameplay. 

Gameplay comes in August during Quakecon. It's dumb as heck, and likely to not get as much attention as it would during E3. But if that's how they wanna do it, then it's their loss...

I'm in the mood for more ripping and tearing with DOOM Eternal on the horizon. Let's hope that it is well optimized like with DOOM 2016 (especially the PC version given the amount of hardware configurations).

Turns out the Arch-vile got a statue at E3. So now we can have a look at his brand new design!

fkwsm2pvwu311.jpg

• Way Past Cool 1

Oh great, more of that teleporting motherfucker.

Joking aside, I actually learned about this on Tuesday while I was in a music therapy session as me and my therapist were pulling up music related with my coming trip to Disneyland/Universal Hollywood and the Nintendo Direct that day with Super Smash Bros.  It was the very first ad when we pulled up the Great Medley from the Smashing Live CD.

I haven't even played the first one and the trailer got me a bit hyped.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, Polkadi~♪ said:

Turns out the Arch-vile got a statue at E3. So now we can have a look at his brand new design!

fkwsm2pvwu311.jpg

I can't not see

51VXEcJRpML.jpg

• Chuckle 2

• 1 month later...

Can't wait for this. Doom 1 and 2016 were both great. Doom II was fine but I don't think of it as highly as the others. Here's hoping Eternal does a much better job with its setting.

I loved doom 2016 on the PS4 despite some of the difficulty spikes being unbalanced as shit (seriously, the beginning was so much harder than the end because of certain enemy placements).

Please for the love of god no more of those bastards with the shields. Those abominations are easily the worst enemies in the game.

You know, I liked Doom 2016, but I really hope that they brush up the level design. Because the latter half of the game got really disappointing with the recycled map and the linear arena corridors.

14 hours ago, McGroose said:

I loved doom 2016 on the PS4 despite some of the difficulty spikes being unbalanced as shit (seriously, the beginning was so much harder than the end because of certain enemy placements).

Not that I'm disagreeing because I felt the same way as I was playing on Ultra-Violence, but I think this is the case because unlike past Doom games, 2016 does not increase enemy count or placement. So in the beginning of the game you're caught off guard by how much damage enemies deal onto you and how much less health you get from pickups, but once you adjust to those changes then the rest of the campaign is proportionally the same in difficulty (at least on UV mode) than earlier ones. Haven't tried Nightmare though and I have no desire to because it's not like the encounters would be any different; I'd just die faster and spend more time being frustrated and restarting things I've already experienced

Normally I would say "more enemies" is the obvious solution since this is one thing the old games did that 2016 doesn't, but my main hope for Eternal is that it takes more cues from the level design of Doom 1, with less emphasis on arena encounters and much more individual enemies scattered throughout the level. I think it would keep things way more interesting, and this is when they should introduce more enemies into higher difficulty modes, because just throwing more enemy waves at you in enclosed arenas is boring and dumb as shit.

I love Doom 2016 btw, second best game after the first imo. I played it to death and it's one of the best games I've played all year, I just don't really want more of the same. I want them to change things up and bring back some of the qualities of the old games that make them considerably more replayable and timeless.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Sean said:

Haven't tried Nightmare though and I have no desire to because it's not like the encounters would be any different; I'd just die faster and spend more time being frustrated and restarting things I've already experienced

I'm playing through Nightmare right now and it's really fun. Trust me, it's much harder at first not cause of the enemies but just cause you're character is a glass tank and you have very little power ups or weapons. The arcade mode, provided you're a decent enough player, will make Nightmare mode much more enjoyable because you're beefed up to the max. I can beat the arcade mode levels almost no problem on nightmare. The regular game, lol fuck no it's not that easy.

The shield demons are objectively bad enemy design. They are just fucking awful. Their shields take too much damage to go down, they only really are found early on in the game where you're weakest and they can still shoot you in any direction when trying to go around them. And if you get too close to them, it's instant death. That's so frustrating and such a poor difficulty choice. Their inclusion in a group of enemies will force you to panic and figure out ways to take care of them before they shoot your head off behind their safe little shield.

Nightmare honestly isn't any different from Ultra-Violence. The only difference is that enemies hit a lot harder. That's it, no difference to any enemy placement or AI.

Get ready to rip and tear... again. Your first look at the Doom Slayer's blood-soaked, rage-fueled, vengeance-filled return is nigh.

• Promotion 1

So, DOOM Eternal's gameplay was finally shown off, and as expected, it is glorious.

But in case you don't have the time to watch (still, whenever you can, watch this), click down here to get an overview:

Spoiler
  • The Doom Slayer has an enhanced Praetor Suit, complete with a wrist-mounted retractable blade and shoulder-mounted weaponry
  • id has implemented a "destructible demons" system; demons will dynamically lose chunks of flesh as they take damage
  • There are new guns, such as the Ballista, which fires explosive darts into enemies
  • The Super Shotgun's new attachment is called the Meat Hook, a chain-attached pair of blades that can be fired into enemies, then retracted to bring yourself closer to them, allowing for added mobility
  • Old enemies return, such as the Pain Elemental and, of course, the Arch-Vile, along with some new faces like the Doomhunter and the Marauder, the latter of which is decked out in armor similar to the Doom Slayer's; id says there's a good reason for that
  • The Doom Slayer can now swing on objects and climb up certain walls, as well as having a new dash ability to dodge projectiles
  • There are extra lives in this game; collect one and you gain an automatic revive, should you die, but id wants you to earn them
  • You can find enhancements in the environment now, one of which powers up your melee attack after a Glory Kill
  • Like Dark Souls, your single-player campaign can be invaded by other players who play as demons and attempt to defeat you, either alone or as a group; this is an optional feature if you don't like the idea of being invaded
  • You won't just be experiencing Hell on Earth; you'll be going to other places in the campaign, too, and if you're the kind of person who searches around those places for story elements, id won't disappoint you, as now they're making "a DOOM universe"
  • The new id Tech 7 engine used to power the game is capable of 10x the geometrical detail of the previous iteration
  • One of those aforementioned other places is Phobos, and the humans there both fear and awe the Doom Slayer; the place even has a BFG 10,000, which brings new meaning to the term
  • Apparently, at some point in the game, the Doom Slayer gets the Crucible back, energy sword and all

The game will launch on PS4, Xbox One, Switch (via Panic Button), and PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Remember, demons can be an offensive term. Refer to them as mortally challenged!"

That made me laugh more than it should have.

The first gameplay section they showed off looked pretty good, especially with how expansive the fight arenas are and how many options you have in combat. But the Phobos bit honestly disappointed me, it looked really super linear.

I am glad though that they seem to have taken the criticism on the art direction to heart though, it looks far more colorful and vibrant, and IdTech 7 looks to be an absolute powerhouse of an engine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks awesome, a natural expansion of the previous game. And while he has more mobility, you can still feel all the weight of the Doom Slayer.
Really looking forward to this game.