Awoo.

Thoughts of Eggman Nega in a main Sonic game?

S0NIC-Keyblade 007

After reading a little of BlazeyBakeneko's topic of Silver and Blaze I began thinking more and more of Silver and Blaze's plothole within the Sonic franchise and the Eggman Nega paradox. Both Blaze and Silver had a role in Sonic 2006 but Eggman Nega was nowhere to be found even though apparantly he's from both Blaze and Silver's world. Well some people say that Eggman Nega didn't exist in Silver's world in that game because the original Eggman was killed when Iblis was released thus Eggman Nega was never to be born as a decendant of the original Eggman which does pretty much make sense if you don't get to technical with that theory. Although before the game was released I do remember hearing rumors of Eggman having a twin(assuming his twin to be Eggman Nega) a little before Blaze was announced to be in the game which makes me wonder, what if Eggman Nega was in that game.

But anyway, I just wanted to get some opinions on this subject. Do you think Eggman Nega has the potential to be in a main Sonic game like 2006 or Unleashed? Or do you believe he is too much of an Eggman copy to do much good throughout the game? Personally, I would like to see the Sonic Rivals Eggman Nega in a main Sonic game because unlike his rush counterpart, he hated the original Eggman for his countless failures and actually wanted to eliminate him(if I rember correctly) in order to redeem his family's name. In my opinion, Sonic Rivals actually showed that Eggman Nega does have some character and has much more potential than a mere Eggman copy and possibly can make an interesting character in a main Sonic game. Well those are my thoughts on this subject, how about yours?

Edited by S0NIC Toadstool

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Mechano

• Icecoldfrieza

• Rally the Cheetah

• S0NIC-Keyblade 007

Nega would actually be the perfect antagonist to a game starring Dr. Eggman. Why? Because he's Eggman without any of his heroic qualities- His very existence can serve as character development for the original.

Nega is the complete monster Eggman could have become- His desire to bring fear and chaos to the world, even if he destroys it along with himself, has been made all too clear. Nega is truly the Sonic franchise's very personification of chaos itself, far more than even the aptly-named Chaos was (Since he was just misunderstood in the end).

While Eggman is selfish and commits evil deeds, there are traces of good beneath his evil shell. Nega lacks these qualities, and as such is something of a "Dark Eggman", making him an interesting contrast. He has all the brains, but not the burning passionate soul of Eggman! For Eggman to go up against this twisted projection of himself could be tremendous insight into his motives and thoughts, and perhaps further emphasize Eggman's good points in a mainstream game.

I'm all for it.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I have to say, even if they went down the route of keeping Sonic as the only playable character in the next game, a cut-scene involving Eggman and Eggman Nega going head-to-head would be absoloutely fantastic. Especially if it got FMV treatment.

I think Nega only works when they're doing the whole "evil twin" bit. Without that he's really not that interesting (well, even with it he's not interesting, but...), so that kind of limits what he can appear in. And I think the Rushes and Rivals have a pretty tight hold on that area, so I don't see much chance (or reason) for him to show up in a "main" game.

It doesn't help that they can't seem to decide what his actual backstory is, either.

Though Blaze isn't a literal alternate Sonic, I thought it was kind of interesting how her relationship with her Eggman contrasted Sonic's relationship with his. In other words, Blaze fights Nega, who is a complete sociopath who wants to kill everyone(And maybe himself), and understandably wants to take lethal force against him. Sonic fights a more innocent manchild of an Eggman, and so wants to stop his schemes, but doesn't wish harm upon the man himself.

I doubt this would ever happen in canon, but I wouldn't mind seeing a storyline where the normal Eggman helps Blaze fight against her long time foe, thus showing her that he's not as bad as he seems, and perhaps sparking a friendship between the two, or a the very least a kind of mutual respect.

It doesn't help that they can't seem to decide what his actual backstory is, either.

Yeah, I have been wondering about Eggman Nega's back story for a while, he can't possibly be from two places unless he cloned himself or if their are two Eggman Nega's. (Sorta like how some people say their are two Blazes, one who exists in the Rush series, and one who existed in the now erased Sonic 2006 universe). Any way in the Rush series Nega is just an alternate Eggman from Blaze's dimension. This makes me wonder, if an alternate Eggman could exist in her dimension then could there possibly be an alternate Sonic? ( I don't consider Blaze as her world's Sonic, unlike some people do, for a number of reasons) I guess they could maybe use this idea in a main Sonic game using Eggman Nega and a Sonic Nega, but then again we already have way too many Sonic copies so that may not work, which is probably why we haven't seen a Sonic Nega in the Rush series.

If the alternate dimension Eggman Nega wouldn't work in a main Sonic game then maybe the Future Eggman Nega will. Well any way, here's an idea that I had, within Silver's "bad" future in Sonic 2006, Shadow and Omega were still around, they were shut down but they were still alive. Then at the end of Sonic 2006 Iblis was erased from history due to Elise blowing out Solaris's flame and then began Silver's "good" future within the Sonic Rivals series, where Eggman Nega exists. So if Silver still exists just fine in his "good" future then should Shadow and Omega still exist somewhere and if they do, are they still shut down or are they running around defending the world in some way. I'm sure Eggman Nega would have tried to have conquer the world or cause some chaos within Silver's future, Silver has obviously fought against Eggman Nega before since Silver recognizes him in the Rivals series. But Shadow and Omega don't seem like the types of characters to just sit around and do nothing so I wonder if Shadow and Omega were conscience in Silver's future or were to awaken within their state of suspended annimation, would they assist Silver in his battles against Eggman Nega? I don't see why not since Shadow and Silver have teamed up against Eggman Nega before in the Rivals series. Could this idea work in a main Sonic game? Although what would probably concern me the most would be Sonic's lack of presence. I also don't think that Silver and Omega are popular enough to have a game based around them, and we all know what happened the last time a game was based around Shadow. Maybe if the game's story was split between Sonic and the gang and Silver's future, although, the last time Sega tried to split up the story using many characters was in Sonic 2006 and we all know how that turned out.

Well, those are just a few ideas of mine that I decided to shout out.

I'd like to see Eggman Nega in a console Sonic game. I would prefer it if were the future version because it would give Silver another chance to appear in a console game. Not only that, but I feel that a bitter descendant of Eggman makes much more sense than someone from another dimension that just happens to look like him.

Maybe they could tie Rush and Rivals together by explaining that Nega went to Blaze's dimension first and pretended to be Eggman's counterpart to gain his trust, or something like that. Not only that, but it would give Eggman a chance to show just how much good he has in him. From a story standpoint, this would be a great idea to develop Eggman, and some other characters such as Silver or Blaze (since she was involved with Nega in Rush).

Well as a character in general I agree Nega certainly seems different enough from Eggman to stand on his own. However, my biggest fear is that if he were to appear in a mainstream game he'd overshadow Eggman too much and, lets face it, Eggman doesn't need to have the spotlight stolen from him anymore. Sadly Eggman has become quite the damsel in distress what with ALL his plans backfiring and him needing Sonic to come bail him out. I can sorta understand him loosing control over the monster of the week but even over his own machines (Metal Sonic, Gamma, Omega, Gmel, the security robot, etc.)? Come on.. You'd think he'd take precautions. But anyhow you can see what I'm getting at, if Nega were to come into the game I'd say the plot would HAVE to have a twist at the end with Eggman taking control just so can keep some dignity. He'd prove that he is, and always will be, the best Eggman of all, muhahah! That is until Sonic and team come along and kick his can... again... Oh well 10 secs of fame is better than none no ;) ?

@S0NIC Toadstool and Icecoldfrieza

I personally like the idea of having a game focus on Silver or Blaze as it could potentially, as you put it Icecoldfrieza, fill in the plothole between the two worlds. However my fear is like you said S0NIC Toadstool that because the game would take place in one of the other worlds then either Blaze and/or Silver would have to be the main character(s). Then like you said we'd have the whole Shadow the Hedgehog game situation to face again. Even if the game was good the fans/reviewers wouldn't like it because it's not Sonic. And if Sonic were throw into the mix then folks would be upset cause he's just there to make the game sell and doesn't play a big role, blah, blah, etc., etc. <_<

So yeah, Nega's a cool character and he has a ton of potential but I don't think the series can handle a console game with him in it. Not yet.

It would be tough to not have Silver or Blaze steal the spotlight, but I believe it can be done. Eggman's plans always fail because of Sonic, so it would be best to turn Nega's attention on defeating Sonic, rather than taking out Eggman. This would at least keep the focus on Sonic, as he would be the primary target of Nega's sinister plans. Perhaps Silver and Blaze can act as amigo characters, or characters for extra missions in the game. And of course, it should be Sonic, and only Sonic, who defeats the last boss. If those things can be done it should keep Sonic's spotlight from being taken away.

Edited by Icecoldfrieza

It would be tough to not have Silver or Blaze steal the spotlight, but I believe it can be done. Eggman's plans always fail because of Sonic, so it would be best to turn Nega's attention on defeating Sonic, rather than taking out Eggman. This would at least keep the focus on Sonic, as he would be the primary target of Nega's sinister plans. Perhaps Silver and Blaze can act as amigo characters, or characters for extra missions in the game. And of course, it should be Sonic, and only Sonic, who defeats the last boss. If those things can be done it should keep Sonic's spotlight from being taken away.

Hmm you have a good point there, Nega should go for Sonic as he's the main reason for Eggman's failure and thus him "being a disgrace" and all that. And if killing Sonic will mess up the future, as I'm sure it would, you can bet Silver will come to stop him. Don't see much a chance for Blaze to show up then though... Unless maybe Nega was from the future, then went to go mess things up in Blaze's world, then came to Sonic's world to kill him. Still that sounds almost too far fetched. Nega would certainly have to do some explaining for the detour. I guess he could say he was after the Sol Emeralds again or something. As for why, well he's an evil scientist, maybe he needs him for his machine or something? Who knows. :rolleyes:

The thing is, the Rivals games strongly implied that Nega was misblaming Eggman, and that Nega's failures were indeed his own, rather than because of Eggman.

Shadow even directly calls him out on it, saying he can't stand people who blame their problems on others, in an act of extremely ironic hypocrisy.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

So I like Eggman Nega, but I think he should stay where he is.

A high stakes psychotic villain would be great in the franchise. As it is we only have one major villain and a zoo of mythical beasts. But there's a few problems with Nega. First he's a cloned character, and literally cloned - not like Shadow or Mighty. He's the same guy as Eggman with a meaner more twisted outlook on the world. But he's the same guy. His design is boring because that's Eggman's design. His methods are mostly the same as Eggman's. And worst of all, he's stuck in another dimension on handheld platforms. Bringing him into the fray would involve more interdimensional time traveling nonsense, and I'd rather that kind of stuff stays in the background for a little bit. Nega's a good character, but I think his character is very specific to the handheld games. They've made it very hard to include him in the main series, and I wonder if it was intentional in a way. Shade's got the same kind of handheld, secondary series character thing going on.

I don't think these characters will be more than extras if they show up outside their specific Sonic games.

Edited by Badnikz

My only real problem with Nega is that at first glance, he IS Eggman. It shouldn't take one of El Gran Gordo's (Shoot. Now it's Dr. Mechano. I must say I vastly prefered your old name and Avatar) in depth character analysis to show he is different. Perhaps if he had a change in apearance. Such as a big dramatic cape (Like Zero's from Code Geass ...Google it).

Regardles, he would make a great skin in a Smash Bros. game. :D

Edited by Chaos Walker