Awoo.

Super Mario Party (Switch, Oct. 5, 2018)- "No more cars. We're going back to what works."

Forte-Metallix

Mario Party is back, for real this time!

The Mario Party™ series is coming to the Nintendo Switch™ system with super-charged fun for everyone! The original board game style has been kicked up a notch with deeper strategic elements, like specific Dice Blocks for each character. The game also introduces all-new ways to play, including Joy-Con™ controller enabled minigames, and new modes to enjoy with family and friends. Board game play goes back to the four-player basics as you take turns and race across the board searching for Stars. You can also pair up two Nintendo Switch systems and delight in this dynamic play style, such as in the new Toad’s Rec Room mode. With new modes and new minigames coupled with original board game play, the party starts anywhere, anytime, and with all kinds of players. Super Mario Party is available October 5th!

After six years of trying to reinvent the wheel and always coming up short, Mario Party is returning to its roots- No more cars or changed rules, just running around boards, getting Stars, and ruining friendships. And we've got lots of playable baddies (Bowser himself is now a regular contestant!)and newcomers, including: a Monty Mole, Pom Pom, and even a Goomba! Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones, Shy Guy, Boo, Hammer Bro also make their returns!

Not sure how I feel about the new dual-system gimmicks, but they'll likely be optional. I think I might RSVP to this series again for the first time since DS!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

Not sure about his game. Do you know what the Mario Party franchise does to friendships?

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 minute ago, PaddyFancy said:

No online for Super Mario Party. Well fuck this game then.

FFS Nintendo

Not everyone is able to play their games in local multiplayer.

• Thumbs Up 1

i didn't loathe the car like everyone else, but even i wanted the classic mario party back.

glad to see it back. if this isn't $60, i might get this day one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Mario Party screenshot

So it does seem like they've also thrown in the recruit system from Star Rush, or not since it doesn't appear that they add more numbers to you roll.

This image implies that the "enemy" characters will only show up here, though thankfully this is not the case since there's a Goomba shown as a lead character both in minigames and on the boards.

Two allies per team.

We also don't know what's with this 20 player Bumper Balls-like match, but it does show that it'll only four human players on the field. But why does it have 4 red players against the other 16?

They're not going back to what worked, they're just going back to what people liked more.

Equally valid.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

20 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

(Bowser himself is now a regular contestant!)

And cue the signaling for revenge against the bastard Koopa for all those past Mario Party transgressions, culminating with Mario Party on the Wii U. XD

• Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 1

Looking good from the footage on the Treehouse, so I'll definitely see about getting it.

• Thumbs Up 1

This looks great, but I wish they’d bring back the original 1-10 dice blocks the characters would bash open. I hate the new dice blocks, they’re so sluggish and limited.

Treehouse video:

And some more details:

-Each character now has a Special Dice Block unique to them. You can use them or the regular die as often as you want, but the special ones are higher risk, higher reward. (Example: Bowser's dice block can let him go up to 10 spaces, only one, or even make him lose 3 coins and stay in place.)

-Similar to Star Rush on the 3DS, you can recruit other characters and let them add their Special Dice Block to yours.

-The characters here started out with two Items each, but that was only for the sake of showing them off at E3. You'll have to get Items the old-fashioned way in the final product.

-New Items include a Golden Drink which turns you gold and gives you one coin for every space you go, and a cell phone that lets you summon a random ally.

-Toad and Toadette are once again just hosts. Toad's the MC, and Toadette the one who sells you Stars, this time for just 10 coins.

-Lakitu now takes Boo's original role of the guy you visit to steal Coins and Stars.

-80 Minigames-One of the new Switch-connecting minigames has each display halves of different amounts of bananas. Find which two halves on both Switches match and line them up.

-Goomba seems to have some sort of voice, but I can't make it out over the commentary. (Tricycle minigame at the very end)

6/14: Mario Party finally has an online mode! (Sort of)

In the immortal words of Keiji Inafune: "It's better than nothing."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

This was probably the biggest non-Smash-related surprise out of E3 this year for me. I never had too big an issue with the car stuff (I even found Mario Party 10's Bowser Mode to be hilarious fun), but I never expected them to full-on return to the old style rather than sticking to their guns. Add on that they're pulling in elements from Star Rush (A game I really enjoyed), the character roster is looking insanely diverse for once (HECK YEAH BOWZ), all the neat Switch bonus games, an online function of any kind, the slick-looking visuals, and just the small aesthetic touches I appreciate like the animated character icons depending on the standings (very appropriately reminiscent of the first two games) and the character-specific dialogue for recruiting teammates (Koopa is overjoyed to help "Lord Bowser," for instance) and this is easily the most excited I've been for a Mario Party in years. With this, Smash Ultimate, Star Allies, Aces, Pokemon Let's Go, FighterZ and Team Sonic Racing, this is gonna be THE YEAR for Switch multiplayer.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Actively excited for this game because it gets back to basics. Yes, I know the bar has been lowered but you have no idea how much I loved Mario Party for its pure strategy and ability to twist it into the Hunger Games of the Mushroom Kingdom. I have always wanted to play as Bowser since the first one and now that I have him I will get to enjoy 20+ years of longing. Still curious what the secret modes they have in store will be about in the future but I am wishing for more online modes.

• Thumbs Up 3

If the game has a decent online mode, I'd consider picking it up, not having played a lot of Mario Party other than DS and 8. It could be a fun game for online play, especially for the likes of SSMB Game Night.

Buuut, that depends on what the online mode is. That "sort of" is pretty damn iffy and I want to be sure it's a proper online mode as opposed to some watered down bullcrap Nintendo does because they can't get it through their thick skulls that online play is something people want in 2018.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That "sort of" is pretty damn iffy and I want to be sure it's a proper online mode as opposed to some watered down bullcrap Nintendo does because they can't get it through their thick skulls that online play is something people want in 2018.

I really don't understand why people think online for Mario Party is much easier than Nintendo makes it out to be. Playing on boards in MP requires 4 players at all times, if they're aren't enough humans, they have to deal a CPU that can just get in the way. Nintendo's online games are always focused on matches players can join for as long as they want and can drop out anytime they want. Smash, Kart or Splatoon, if a player gets disconnected/rage-quits, it's fairly inconsequential, except during one-on-one smashes. You can at least go again and find someone else to fight.

This is a board game we're dealing with. Players have to stick around to the very end, or else the game ends incompletely and nobody wins. You can't expect four total strangers to start a 50-turn party and be capable of staying online for hours without anything bad happening- especially in a series as infamous Mario Party. There's no joining in or dropping out. Sure, a digital Monopoly can be played online with no problem, but Nintendo has never attempted anything like that.

If playing boards online really needs to happen, it should be limited up to 20 turns, with friends only.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 months later...

More details, courtesy of Gamexplain:

-New fruit-themed board.

-Boards can be played Free-For-All or Team Battle.

-New Co-op mode called River Survival: All four players work together, paddling with their Joy-Cons, avoiding obstacles, and trying to reach the goal before time runs out. You can gain additional time by popping balloons, which initiates a minigame that gives you more time depending on how fast you all beat it.

-Kamek hosts the Bad Luck Space, which is this game's Bowser Space, complete with the roulette.

-The devs reiterate how Super Mario Party is all about bringing the series back to its roots, with some modern twists like Star Rush's character-specific dice blocks.

Here's some footage of said new board, along with the "heartbreaking" deconfirmation of Blooper and Spike returning, as both appear as part of the "Rattle and Hmmm" minigame.

Personally, I don't really care if this game has full online or not- I'm just happy one of my favorite Mario offshoots is finally getting its act together!

• Thumbs Up 1

Also interesting to note is that judging by the character select screen from the Gamescom demos, four of them are unlockable: DK, Diddy, Dry Bones, and Pom Pom.

• Thumbs Up 1

Footage of the new River Survival game, and it looks...fun? What sorcery is this?!

I can already tell Goomba's gonna be my main, with all those adorable animations!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the 20 characters we've known about since the announcement trailer are the complete, final roster. Despite Birdo getting the shaft, I'm pretty cool with this lineup. We got DK, Rosalina, and Dry Bones back, and Pom Pom finally gets some time in the limelight without her brother/partner/whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

The official website's up, with the reveal of amiibo support:

https://supermarioparty.nintendo.com/characters/

-Scan amiibo figures for in-game Party Points. (I'm guessing these are this game's currency, like coins or carnival cards in previous titles)

-Unlock background music and other extras.

-Scan amiibo figures of the characters in Super Mario Party to unlock their stickers!

• Thumbs Up 1

Something interesting I noticed about the Character Select: the top row is all Mario and his friends (and frenemies) while the bottom row is exclusively Bowser and his forces.

Koopa Troopa. It's spelt like a rhyme, Super Mario Party.

Edit *Pom Pom's bio states that she tosses boomerangs*

*Render used is her tossing a shuriken*

Man this website. 

Okay, so she's doing the pose from her render in 3D Land, but she only threw shurikens in 3D World, but they put a shuriken in the pose replacing the boomerang from the original render...

image.png.5ae0a6cdba23f9bad5f55c64394b9882.pngimage.png.8e2e088a1ddf5930457f0c8c49c0d362.png

We finally have a snippet of footage of the King Bob-omb board:

Not really a fan of the music, to be honest. Can't describe it, but it just sounds...off.

On a more positive note, Gamexplain's given their impressions, and it seems Mario Party's really getting back on track!