Sonictrainer

Fire Emblem Three Houses (Coming Spring 2019)

A brand-new Fire Emblem game with a new story and characters is coming to Nintendo Switch. The game takes place on Fódlan, where the Church of Seiros exercises great power over the land and its people. This turn-based tactical RPG will put new strategic twists on battling, with formations of troops supporting individual units on the battlefield. Do you have what it takes to survive and conquer in this brand-new Fire Emblem game? Fire Emblem Three Houses is available Spring 2019!

I'm hyped for this game but oof that delay is gonna be hard to wait for. I wonder what the story is gonna involve this time around. Keen to learn more about these 3 characters.

At first I didn't really know what to think. I thought the battle animations were less dynamic than the Echoes', the graphics looked pretty bland and the delay bummed me out a bit.

But after watching several times, I think this is what I wanted Intelligent Systems to actually do - take more notes from Echoes and less from Fates, both in terms of character design, art-design overall and even some of the combat aspects. The main characters look like characters that actually fit the Fire Emblem series and not like someone from some oversexualized and fanservice-y manga. I can see that Combat Arts are back, which is really cool, I liked that system in Echoes so much. I wonder how their acquirement is going to work and if they're also going to use HP. I also noticed that Magic is separate from attack. Does that mean they're going for Echoes/Gaiden type of magic? If so, I like that as well. The weapon durability is back, which I think is good, cuz Fates' weapon system didn't really work too well (even though I liked it) and using Echoes' inventory system would be too restrictive. And the game, while still doesn't look as good as I hoped, still is an improvement over 3DS titles, which is nice.

So yeah, overall I'm pleased with what I've seen, but I want to see more, cuz what they've shown wasn't really enough. For example, how do formations work? Is there support system? What's the premise of the story? is there a custom avatar? I have a lot of questions about the game.

I love the look of it. I just hope the overall gameplay and story is better than Valentia. Not that I hate Valentia, I love that game, but it does have some major flaws and a huge lack of replayability.

I don't think this will have that problem, though. Looks so good. I love the character designs, voice acting, and I also love that zoom in mechanic that shows forces fighting alongside your playable characters. I assume that's what "Formation" is. Its likely that the formation will play a major role in how you handle things.

I'm not certain, but it looks like Edelgard is the main protagonist and Byleth is the supporting silent hero, likely an avatar. If this is the case, I'm actually excited about the avatar. I did not like how Corrin dominated the storyline. If the story is more about the Three Houses, while Byleth is basically "Mark" from Blazing Sword (which is what it kinda looks like so far, except Byleth is playable this time), I'm definitely optimistic about it.

I feel like the delay is so it can hit a worldwide release. This is probably filling into the Kirby slot for next year.