Awoo.

Sonic Port

FXT

While I do like how crisp everything looks for the most part, it kinda feels like the colors for a lot of the areas (especially the Egg Carrier, and Mystic Ruins) are rather heavily toned down, which not only makes it hard to see in darker lighting, but also makes everything feel a bit dull. Also, I hope there's some improvement in the lighting for the Egg Carrier/night settings, because it seems like it's going to be a bit annoying to see anything in that dark lighting.

Another issue is the artstyle. I get that you're trying to invoke the style of Adventure, but the artstyle feels like it's a weird hybrid between something trying to be gritty and something that's still cartoony, which makes it feel a bit...odd. I think this part really only needs some minor tweaking more than anything, and maybe it's just rough texture work that makes the artstyle feel off, but it's something to keep in mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sorry, but I don't think that this looks very good. I've seen numerous old games recreated in the Unreal Engine, and the end result is always the game. The original low quality models and textures bungled into the new engine with excess lighting effects, clashing art styles and bizare mismatches in detail. You've got the realistic grass, water and bloom in the Mystic Ruins alongside the 20 year old low poly models and 128*128 textures. It looks bad. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think a reasonable fix would be to recreate the textures in higher resolution alongside utilizing the UE4 lighting system. 

I mean if Grim Fandango could release a remaster where the only changes were a new lighting system and reworked textures to fit in line with today's games then it shouldn't be out of the question to be able to do the same with a Sonic Adventure remaster. Only thing now is the question of if you want to remodel and re-texture the level maps and do some reimagining with it over a simple upgraded port like that. It's not 1998 anymore so the broken up level segments to make something huge like Egg Carrier and Station Square and Angel Island work can be done naturally without having to take up processing power that would exceed a lot of people's computers' capabilities.

There's also that we've seen a ton of games where the models have low poly counts but the graphics get a huge boost from incredible texture work and art design/direction combined with the right lighting. 

I mean, this still impresses me to this day.