Jump to content
Marco9966

Old Sonic sites that are still up (or 100% accessible in web archive)

Recommended Posts

Hey guys!

I love to discover old Sonic fansites or blogs, it's a piece of Sonic history and how fans perceived the franchise at the time. I also feel that Classic and Adventure fans were more unified.

There was character profiles, fanarts sections...

Sadly 90% of these sites that existed 10 years ago are down.

What old fansites do you know??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was the first ever Sonic-related site I ever found when I first started using the internet as a kid all the way back in the early 2000’s. It was through this place that I learned about SatAM, and first got wind of Sonic X when it was starting up in Japan.

One of its highlights is a fancomic that adapts Sonic’s story in Sonic Adventure.

It can still be found through a basic internet search, but it hasn’t been updated in over a decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a VERY deep cut but for anyone who used to go to SonicAnime.net, and was around at the time that the main site/forums exploded (Series 1 (eps 1-52) of Sonic X was still airing but nearing it's end in Japan, for the exact timeframe) and we had to migrate to some temporary boards hosted by another member (Bazil, to be exact)...

Well, those temporary boards are still up.

Sadly the main forum area is no longer accessible since when SA.net went back up the admins changed it to just link directly to the new, proper forums (which are gone completely now).  But the off-topic, non-main Sonic boards, and RPG section are still accessible.  Also if you want to browse topics you need to manually request it to display topics since "the beginning" or else every area will be empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JezMM said:

This is a VERY deep cut but for anyone who used to go to SonicAnime.net, and was around at the time that the main site/forums exploded (Series 1 (eps 1-52) of Sonic X was still airing but nearing it's end in Japan, for the exact timeframe) and we had to migrate to some temporary boards hosted by another member (Bazil, to be exact)...

Well, those temporary boards are still up.

Sadly the main forum area is no longer accessible since when SA.net went back up the admins changed it to just link directly to the new, proper forums (which are gone completely now).  But the off-topic, non-main Sonic boards, and RPG section are still accessible.  Also if you want to browse topics you need to manually request it to display topics since "the beginning" or else every area will be empty.

I remember posting on those forums for a bit in the mid 2000s. Didn't remember the temp boards so I must have been there before or after that. Thought I joined in like 2005 but I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

This was the first ever Sonic-related site I ever found when I first started using the internet as a kid all the way back in the early 2000’s. It was through this place that I learned about SatAM, and first got wind of Sonic X when it was starting up in Japan.

One of its highlights is a fancomic that adapts Sonic’s story in Sonic Adventure.

It can still be found through a basic internet search, but it hasn’t been updated in over a decade.

Oh man, this website takes me way the fuck back. I really loved this place for hosting all sorts of random stuff like the Spanish SA1 fancomic that never got finished and all those fanfics. I'm pretty sure I read the SatAM fics by Brown/Tolbert multiple times, and it was back when I actually shipped Sonic/Sally pretty hard hahaha. This was also where I primarily followed information on Sonic X back when it was first unveiled. I'm so glad the site is still up and I'm tempted to back everything up myself (or at least a lot of it) because I can't bear the thought of all of this going away one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my early days of going online, I used to go to Sonic HQ to look at info. As an AoSTH fan, I was pretty annoying of their anti-bias of the show and even purposely made mistakes however there wasn't many places even referencing the show. The forums from what I used to remember were pretty much pro-Archie/SatAM as it was typical of the era of the early 2000s. Surprisingly the place is still around and updated with all the versions backed up however its popularity has dropped over the years and the forums are lost to time.

Luckily there was an AoSTH fan site (might want a pop up blocker) and to this day, still the largest one, yep still here too mostly intact. The community weirdly enough was splintered between DeviantART and Fanfiction.net, the community never got a place to call home and most of the original fanbase were female. These were the days before Youtube Poop and that created a different fanbase. Online was certainly a different place back then.

SatAM fans were even more in treat since not only they got two places to call home but they are still around getting updated. Used to look at Saturday Morning Sonic quite a bit and its kept its layout since Day 1 but there was a more famous one called FUS and that certainly got changed last time that I looked at it. Different owners, different layout but was still on about SatAM.

My first place that I joined online was Sonic Vegemite. It was a hoaxing (edited pictures) website, got a fangame called When Tails Gets Bored and also had a section called What Cheese Me Off. Sadly the website no longer exists and closed on an unusual date (9/11) however weirdly the forums have outlasted the site and they are surprisingly still here. Most of the pictures have gone though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, King Koopone said:

The community weirdly enough was splintered between DeviantART and Fanfiction.net, the community never got a place to call home and most of the original fanbase were female. These were the days before Youtube Poop and that created a different fanbase. Online was certainly a different place back then.

Yeah, I remember the french community used mainly planete-sonic.com (still available) and HUNDREDS of french blogs on the skyblog platform.

I was going there a lot and even witnessed people forming couples through these blogs, they would post their pics how they met their BF or GF who is also a Sonic fan on these blogs and go on real life dates... Sadly 80% of these blogs are down now. These were the good old days man.

By the way do any of you got backups of old sites or their interesting stuff? I save all  the fanarts I like, and I copy paste on a word the interesting "encyclopedia" articles on a word. (I also loved to find a backup of the old fan-made Sonic CD DVD on this forum).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, King Koopone said:

My first place that I joined online was Sonic Vegemite. It was a hoaxing (edited pictures) website, got a fangame called When Tails Gets Bored and also had a section called What Cheese Me Off. Sadly the website no longer exists and closed on an unusual date (9/11) however weirdly the forums have outlasted the site and they are surprisingly still here. Most of the pictures have gone though.

I remember this one from my early days on the internet. I use to love checking out the Sonic hoaxes. Never joined the forums but the place inspired me to do some hoaxes of my own years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man. I remember when I was a little kid, and the internet felt like it was in it's infancy to the point where often I would just go to Sonic info sites and look at the minimal files on the characters they had there and re-read them. They had websites for the individual games a whole lot. It was fun looking through the one for Shadow the Hedgehog. Some of the character files there said some things about the characters that even at the time I had to raise my eyebrow at.

Like I think Amy's profile said something like "This girl knows what's hot and what's not!" and I was like... that short red dress doesn't seem like high end fashion... 

There was also this really old site that was blue and sometimes played songs when you went to them. It was weird as well because I remember the character list they had being something like, "Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Fang, Shadow," or something like that and... I was like "Who the fuck is Fang?" 

Ah man. There go the memories of sitting at my grandma's computer in her apartment at New York City. It was such a warm setting and a warm time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

There was also this really old site that was blue and sometimes played songs when you went to them. It was weird as well because I remember the character list they had being something like, "Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Fang, Shadow," or something like that and... I was like "Who the fuck is Fang?" 

I was thinking Sonic Central until you brought up Fang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember browsing certain fansites back in the day solely to listen to some of the music that would play on them. One site I recall had MIDI versions of both Twinkle Park and Egg Hornet from SA1. The character profiles for the characters would list all of these odd minor details about them, like their interests and dislikes.

One detail I thought was odd was how Eggman was listed as having red eyes, probably just because of AoStH, but having only played a couple games at the time I was wondering where they were getting that. How and where they were able to see behind his glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.