Awoo.

Teach Me About Vectorman

Zanok the Hedgehog

Thanks to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, I've finally gotten around to experiencing Vectorman for the first time! It's hard as balls (get it?) but I have to admit that I keep wanting to push onward. 

So what's the deal with Vectorman? Was he a big deal at all and what's the world's current stance on him? 

From what I know, Vectorman was made to compete with Donkey Kong Country and it was one of Sega of America's attempts (the other being X-Perts was pretty bad). Rather instead of pre-rendered silicon graphic CG artwork, it was rotating spheres. The character was made to have as much animation as possible using as little space as possible. The game also used tricks not common at all in American made Genesis games such as shadow and highlight as well as rotation. Was made to be flashy basically. It was quite successful in the US especially for a late Genesis game. It got a soundtrack release and even had a competition to win money on certain print runs of the game. Vectorman's success meant that a sequel was made that was darker and grittier.

In Europe the home of the Mega Drive, it was a different story. The game was not very successful. One reason why was because of the hype of the PlayStation where full 3D polygons were the in thing and it wasn't seen as advanced enough to the public's eye. Another reason why was that the marketing was focused on the Saturn rather than the Mega Drive and other games took priority. Mean Machines Sega (well known, well liked magazine in the UK) loved the game especially the animation of the game but it had Spot Goes to Hollywood on the cover and was more focused on that and Rayman for the Saturn, the same issue also had a preview of Sega Rally. Europe didn't even get Vectorman 2 until compilations. It was one of the Sonic collections was our first time for that game strangely enough (can't remember if it was Mega Collection).

Nowadays Vectorman like most Sega of America creations is pretty much forgotten. There was a sequel/reboot planned years ago but it didn't take off. Like most games it probably has a small fanbase somewhere but chances of any more games in the series is almost none.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sadly I never made it past the first boss.:( I just couldn't learn that attack pattern or figure out the right moves to exploit it.